Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

When and Why Did You Get Over Halo?

• 73 results
    ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ep_driver

This thread isn't meant to bash Halo, I used to play Halo 2 and 3 alll day long. It's an awesome franchise. I'm just curious if anyone else was a diehard Halo fan such as myself and are now over it.  

I grew up on gaming, but it started to fade during highschool and my first few years of college. A couple years ago my roommate and I started playing Halo 2 and gaming was back in my life. Halo 3 was the reason I bought a 360 and it really got me back into gaming. 

I played Halo 3 A LOT and it was basically the only game I put in my 360. Then I met COD4 a couple months after it came out. I think the more mature theme of COD4 and COD:WaW is what changed my tastes in FPS's. If Halo had a more mature feel, like the live action trailers for the franchise do, I'm pretty sure I'd be into it still. It's too 'cartoony' for me now.

So if you were once hooked, but are now over the Halo franchise, when and why did it occur? 

Thanks for reading and providing your thoughts. And once again, this thread is not made to bash or blow any franchise.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

The only game I played online for the original Xbox was Halo 2, but mainly because nobody else was playing anything else at the time.  Once Halo 3 rolled around I played it for a month or two and then got burned out on the series.  I still play it every few months, but I get bored of it pretty fast.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

when i played the 2nd i found it extremely similar to the first, which i loved but had enough of, so i stopped playing the 2nd just after the first level

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

I have to assume the series is an excellent one, but I couldn't get into it at all.  I made several attempts at starting Halo and gave up.  A couple of years later I made several attempts to get into Halo 2 and failed just as bad.  Like most FPS, it gave me motion sickness, but it wasn't just that.  I like, no love Sci-Fi and can't really understand why it just bores me.  I didn't think it looked all that good either.   Funny thing is, I just know when  see a cheap copy of Halo 3, I will buy it and yet again, try to understand and enjoy the Halo series.   Then I will likely fail yet again.

I did enjoy Halo Wars, but only because I really dig RTS.  It could have been any franchise attached to RTS though, as the whole Halo aspect meant nothing to me.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

I got over Halo 3 as soon as my friends and I finished the Legendary campaign on co-op...which was about a week before the game was released at retail.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By delta_ass
    @ep_driver said:

" Then I met COD4 a couple months after it came out. I think the more mature theme of COD4 and COD:WaW is what changed my tastes in FPS's. If Halo had a more mature feel, like the live action trailers for the franchise do, I'm pretty sure I'd be into it still. It's too 'cartoony' for me now.  "

That's funny, this same exact thing happened to me. Only you have to replace the names "Halo" and "COD4" with "Quake" and "Rainbow Six."
    PC_4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By PC_4_Life

After the first time i played halo 1 and realized i could never play a n FPS with a controller because its just so wrong. I always feel like i'm fighting the controller more then i am fighting the dang aliens i'm trying to kill.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

In terms of got over it, I was over it the second I played Halo Combat Evolved...because even though I thought it was a good game, and by far the best halo..I was playing shooters on the PC with fine control already and great online, so I never saw the appeal people had for Halo like it was inventing something. Halo 2 I pretty much despise completely, and 3 was alright but not as good as one. I played the campaign and the online for about a week, then was done.

So I guess I never properly got over it since I never cared much for it to begin with.

mattro11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mattro11

I once heard Halo described as "Fisher & Price, My First First Person Shooter"
    Kinda sums it up............

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm not over it, but I have a lot of other 360 games to play that I want to finish before I go back to Halo 3 online.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crunchUK

7 years down the road and i spend pretty much 99% of my gaming time on halo 3. It's that good.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Branthog

I only started to appreciate Halo during the Halo 3 launch. Until that time, I was a life-long PC FPS purist and snob that had a lot of irrational hate for the Halo franchise and douche-bags who played it.

The fact is, it was and is a tremendous console FPS and while it may not really bring anything to the table that the PC hasn't already, it remains a solid franchise. I only wish I had played more of Halo 3 (there's just so much out there to take up my time, gaming wise). 

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ArchScabby

Halo is still an awesome franchise.

I'll pick up ODST and probably love it as much as the other three.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Metroid545

I stoped my halo love around halo 3, halo 1 AMAZING, halo 2, meh halo 3 ugh

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PureRok

I was done with Halo before it existed. I hate almost everything Sci-fi.

0bs3n3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 0bs3n3

I agree with you on the maturity aspect. I think the real question for me is; when did I ever get in to Halo? lol

SpecJoeMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpecJoeMagic

I've never understood the fascination with Halo.  Maybe it's because I came from a PC gaming background, so I had already played a lot of FPS games that I feel are just as good or better by the time Halo was released.  I remember being underwhelmed when I played Halo for the first time at my cousin's house years ago.  That being said, it was the first good FPS on a console in my opinion. 

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By delta_ass
    @SpecJoeMagic said:
    " I've never understood the fascination with Halo.  Maybe it's because I came from a PC gaming background, so I had already played a lot of FPS games that I feel are just as good or better by the time Halo was released.  I remember being underwhelmed when I played Halo for the first time at my cousin's house years ago.  That being said, it was the first good FPS on a console in my opinion.  "
    GoldenEye?
    borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By borgmaster
    for me, I haven't "gotten over" halo because I never fully got into it. I've done damn near everything in those games that I can do without interacting too much with the fanbase, and when I try I always get repelled by it. So I'm stuck in this limbo-like state in regards to halo.

@PureRok said:
    " I was done with Halo before it existed. I hate almost everything Sci-fi. "
    really? so, uhm, you into magical things or something?
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VWGTI

I was done with Halo after the second game. They're all so similar to one another. Halo 2 online when it came out was awesome. Nowadays it just doesn't cut it. It hasn't evolved enough to continually interest me.
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#21  Edited By Lazyaza

Halo went bad the second it became involved with consoles and decided to be an fps. I still remember that epic E3 demo and thinking 'man this looks sick' and how utterly disappointed I was when the game we got ended up being what it did.  Still I did enjoy Halo 1 to some degree, it was a fun shooter, a highly overrated, overhyped, derivitive, unoriginal shooter but a fun one nontheless.   Now Halo 2 on the other hand, holy balls did they fuck that game up bad.  I cant think of a single thing about it I liked so naturally when it came to Halo 3 I was skeptical at best.  For some reason I ended up buying it, just like I bought Halo 1 and 2 and once again regretted doing so.

The halo franchise is nothig but stolen ideas combined with tard-friendly game design layered on top of a generic shoved-way-up-its-own-ass story thats coupled with a a multiplayer experience that I cant even begin to see the fun in taking part in.   I wouldn't say I hate the franchise per-se, more that I hate how its regarded by so many people as this pinacle of gaming achievement which it really really isn't.  I'm sure every 10 - 18 year old xbox fanboy whose never touched a real first person shooter in their life disagrees though. 

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VWGTI
    @Lazyaza: 

So you're saying Halo is a fake FPS? I don't get it. What makes one FPS any more real than another?
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Akeldama

when i realized they were releasing the same game every time.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By NickM

I don't really "get over" games, I just stop playing it, because other games came out. I'm 100% sure that if I fire up Halo 3 right now, I'll have an amazing time. The same is true with any other game in the past. Counter-Strike, Quake, Doom, Team Fortress, Call of Duty, you name it! 

On a side note, it really makes me sad to see what Halo has become. Milked by Microsoft, overhyped (which, admittedly, is hard to do, since it deserves most of it) by obnoxious 360 fanboys, and considered to be the spawn of Satan by the equally pathetic Sony and Nintendo fanboys. 

Obviously, idiotic frat boiz, and 1337(semi-retarded) 12yo kids have done their part in turning Halo into something everyone wants to shit on, but Halo is still an amazing FPS series. Well, again, Halo seems to have fallen into the same bottomless pit as something like Apple. I guess it's just cool these days to hate on something that's popular.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By skrutop

I lost interest about an hour into Halo 3.  I really got into Halo 2's multiplayer, but it didn't carry over to the 360.  I just found it dull.

SadPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SadPanda

I tried a bit of halo back when it was released and was quite disappointed. For a game that had so much hype from people whose opinions I respected, it turned out to be massively unremarkable. Oh and it was another example of the 2 main weapon shooter which I detest. It came after Doom, Half Life, Duke Nukem, it should know better. Variety is the spice of life.

When I picked up my 360, there was a deal on old xbox games so I picked it up again and gave it a second go (heaven knows it took me 3 attempts to get into Morrowind). Unfortunately the only thing that changed was that I actually persevered and finished it this time. Fighting the covenant was entertaining enough but as soon as the Flood turned up I got struck by a big hammer of "Oh look, those aliens who infest other guys" unoriginality and irritating level design (more flood, more flood, more flood).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Borg and Zombies and Necromorphs and everything else that infects and takes over. But the Flood just seemed dull and insipid. Not a very stimulating foe at all. Was rather unimpressed with Halo 2's plot of 'Oh wow, another Halo' too.

All this being said though, I did rather enjoy the Guilty Spark character.

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ep_driver

Thanks for all your opinions, guys. Also, thanks for keeping it suprisingly friendly in tone, I'm happy to see that the GB community is still friendly and positive for the most part.
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bubahula
    @Tarsier said:
    "Halo 3 is a great game. 5/5 stars. "
    OZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OZ
    @ep_driver: I got over Halo as I got older because it stresses me out. I still like to play the campaing to see the story but multiplier stresses me out and pisses me off, even when I am winning. When I am stressed in life, with work and other struff i'd rather chill and play some single player game with a good story like Mass Effect or Fallout. I like to think more and play around with the combat more as I get older.  Halo is too much about 2 second decisions. At 31 my fingers are not what they use to but I have more patience to explore game enviorenments, play with customization, and learn complicated combar systems. I seem to have outgrown Halo. I'll still get ODST to check out the story and the upgraded engine (art looks good too) but it will not bring me back to the multiplayer. 
    Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Damian

I thought Halo CE was fun with friends. But I got over it very quickly, mostly because I didn't get into the story, and the environments always seemed very bland to me.

DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DeadMan

When COD 4 came out and WAW, I stopped playing it for those two games. But know I want to go back to it, ODST looks interesting.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Illmatic

When Modern Warfare came out.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SadPatrol

Gears of War 1 kept all my attention until COD 4.  I loved halo 2 but halo 3 feels so dated now and I only play it with friends staying at my house(This is the only way I acually have fun playing it)

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Amilmitt

i played halo 1 and 2 on the computer but only for the storyline.
    then when i went out and got a 360 it came with halo 3, so i played through the storyline beat it on legendary with some friends.
    but the only time i play it is with friends on custom matchs, i hate the online play, its boring to me and i hate the fact it takes so many bullets to kill someone.
    also as someone said there are some of the halo community that make me stay away from online.
    but the custom games with friends are still fun.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#35  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I was a diehard Halo fan and still completely am. Bungie has done some brilliant work.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By Heartagram

I was never that heavy into halo. Honestly the only game i like in the franchise a whole lot is the original. Most of the reason i think i never got into the multiplayer was Gears of War and COD4 i like the style of those games multiplayer a bit more

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37  Edited By Cerza

I got over Halo when I played Halo 3 and realized they had run out of ideas. They did all they needed to and said all they needed to say with Halo CE. Damn Halo CE was a great game back in it's day.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CptChiken

i loved halo 3... untill online, the melee sliding was just rediculus

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

After finishing the Halo 3 campaign.  

Horrible, horrible game.

Stubert73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Stubert73

I'm with you. Once COD4 came out, Halo 3 got left in the dust. There's no better game for LAN parties than Halo 3, but when I'm online, it's COD. I will be buying both ODST and Modern Warfare 2, though, wallet permitting.

axxiomatiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By axxiomatiq

I got over Halo as soon as I played Half-Life 2 on the PC.  I still played through Halo 2 and 3, but only once each, and I didn't get into online.  They're decent games, but I'm of the opinion that the Half-Life games are excellent.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By eroticfishcake

When I finished the first one.

I thought it had some good mechanics in it. But after that it was "meh". Then it got annoying when the fanboys came rolling in.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By ajamafalous

I got over it a few months after Halo 3 came out. Halo 1 and 2 were easily my most played Xbox games (bought an Xbox for Halo 1).

But comparing Halo 3 to Halo 2's multiplayer saddens me to the point that I can't really stand playing it anymore. I play 3-5 matches every once in a while, but I immediately tire of it. Halo 3 is just too, for lack of a better word, 'casual.'

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wefwefasdf

I am really addicted to the multiplayer at the moment. When it first came out I didn't find it that addicting because I was busy with Gears of War. I have no idea how I was able to put up with all the flaws of that game. Maybe it gave it character or something... who knows. Anyways, the matchmaking is so rewarding. I haven't found a game that can be so epic.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Giantsquirrel

I got tired of Halo about the same time Microsoft got super money happy and demanded the franchise be driven into the ground. Halo 1 was fantastic, Halo 2 was not what I wanted in terms of story and 3 was a disaster. However, I'm looking forward to ODST because it's a significant change in the formula and Bungie's first title without a great influence from Microsoft.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#46  Edited By AgentJ

I think we need to put a moratorium on the "why do you hate halo" threads. Mods? There are already enough topics that do the same thing as this thread. 

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ep_driver
    @AgentJ said:
    "I think we need to put a moratorium on the "why do you hate halo" threads. Mods? There are already enough topics that do the same thing as this thread.  "

If you actually took the time to read my original post, I clearly stated that I had no intention of this thread being about bashing or glorifying any franchise. Also, if you read everyone's posts you'll see that there is a good mix of people who grew away from the series as well as people who still love it. I'm sure there are many threads on GB that are all about bashing Halo, but there isn't one besides this one that gets the input of the GB community on why the left the series after once devoting so much time to it as I had. Bring your negativity somewhere else please.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By crunchUK
    @ajamafalous said:
    " I got over it a few months after Halo 3 came out. Halo 1 and 2 were easily my most played Xbox games (bought an Xbox for Halo 1).  But comparing Halo 3 to Halo 2's multiplayer saddens me to the point that I can't really stand playing it anymore. I play 3-5 matches every once in a while, but I immediately tire of it. Halo 3 is just too, for lack of a better word, 'casual.' "
    Are you one  of those irritating little self proclaimed "hardcores" that believe halo 2 was better because it revolved around the BR all the time?
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JoelTGM

I remember having a lot more fun playing Halo 1 local multiplayer.  Halo 2 was good, but I didn't like how they removed the pistol and added an underwhelming SMG (yes it's good, but it sounds pathetic).  Halo 3 was slower, and it didn't last me very long.  I definitely prefer Halo 1 on PC with the good old maps, weapons, and vehicles... very basic and very fun.

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By chstupid

I will always love halo

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.