Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

Got an early copy of Heavy Rain. My thoughts (No Spoilers)

CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By CraigAA1028

I get home with a copy of Heavy Rain about 5pm. At 2 am, I put the controller down and watched the credits roll. While the beginning is a bit slow, once the game starts moving, it never stops. Heavy Rain is one hell of a ride. I dare you to willingly put the controller down. I won't post any spoilers in this thread, but I can say that Heavy Rain has a great story, that will honestly have you guessing the whole way through. It's smart, it's shocking at times, but overall, it's just fun.  

When I found out the identity of the killer, I literally paused the game and kept saying "Holy shit" over and over. It's so unexpected and well done. Anyone who says they knew who the killer was the whole game is LYING through their teeth. 

If I had an complaints, its that the movement controls sometimes get in the way. I messed up a sequence simply because I couldn't get my character to turn properly. It didn't ruin the game, and the story kept on just fine the way the sequence played out, but it got in the way a few times.  Also, the game jumps between characters often, which can cause alittle confusion because there is a hefty amount of information being thrown around. 

These are minor complaints though. Heavy Rain is absolutely worth a look if not a purchase. I'm excited to start a second play through and make different choices. 

Photo for proof  

This disc should be in your PS3 as soon as possible
     This disc should be in your PS3 as soon as possible

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Oh, but it's a PS3 exclusive, huh? Bummer for me. Maybe within the next year or so...

I hope I get to play it some day. Thanks for the impressions.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

Wow. That game is short.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mrfizzy

just wondering, but how did you get an early copy of it? 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy

So you beat it in one night, from 5 - 2? Ahh I wish the game was a little longer so I could justify spending $80 on it, but sadly I will have to wait to find it used. 

I just think that there are other games I can get which will last me longer and have more to the actual game. Maybe I might even just rent it. Haha, or go into Blockbuster and say "Hey do you mind if I borrow this for a few hours? I'll BRB with it"

CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CraigAA1028
    @PureRok: 9-10 hours? Thats a pretty good length for what is essentially a movie disguised as a game.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By HaltIamReptar

You people complaining about game length are forgetting how the majority of the time spent for the writing of the game was writing the multiple ways everything can turn out.

I really wish I had a PS3.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xyzygy
    @CraigAA said:

" @PureRok: 9-10 hours? Thats a pretty good length for what is essentially a movie disguised as a game. "

I've heard from others and from some reviews that it took them about 6 hours, but I dunno. You also have to figure in the cost it is to buy this game... 9-10 hours, regardless of if it's a movie disguised as a game, is pretty short for a full priced game which probably won't go down any time soon.
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By danielkempster
    @PureRok said:
    " Wow. That game is short. "
    The time elapsed between 5pm and 2am is nine hours. That seems like a pretty fair length to me. That's around the amount of time it took me to get through Dead Space last year, in fact, and I managed to spread that over two weeks. As I understand it, nobody is obliged to play through the whole thing in one evening.
    papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By papercut

Hows the voice acting?  
    Also facial animations? 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I really wish I had a PS3 and Heavy Rain right now, it sounds awesome.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By fugie7

man i wish i was playing it right now.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm really curious to find out who genuinely guesses the killers identity too. It blew my mind. You'll want to do everything within your power to avoid spoilers.

What's so clever is that it all makes sense.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DystopiaX
    @dankempster said:
    " @PureRok said:
    The time elapsed between 5pm and 2am is nine hours. That seems like a pretty fair length to me. That's around the amount of time it took me to get through Dead Space last year, in fact, and I managed to spread that over two weeks. As I understand it, nobody is obliged to play through the whole thing in one evening. "
    yeah. I also plan on playing it multiple times, to see how different decisions turn out.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#15  Edited By Icemael

How did you feel about the interactive aspect? My biggest gripe with the demo, aside from the camera and the controls, was that with the exception of the expertly designed fight scene(very intense, very engaging; had it been a bit shorter, it would've been perfect), I didn't feel that the interactivity added anything to the experience. Rather, it hurt the flow and took away from the immersion -- I felt like I would've enjoyed it more if I had been passively watching it, instead of actively controlling it.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Driadon

I'd say that middle paragraph is spoilerish. Neat, though.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By JoelTGM

Nice, hopefully I'll be playing it soon too.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By c1337us

9-10 hours isn't that short guys. Anyway sounds like you liked it which is good. I am looking forward to getting the game as well.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Skytylz

9 hrs isn't bad, I wanna play this and on a 2nd play through get everyone killed.

yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By yani
    @CraigAA: ..........how?   I realize that its a slower paced game than most and there is lots of dialogue, but I really liked the fight sequence in the demo, so how much of that intense action is there in the game?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

It'll take several play throughs so your getting a good 20+ hour game atleast.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By rjayb89

So, how many breasts did you see?  One?  Two?  Maybe even three breasts?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TwoOneFive

isnt the killer the guy you play as. sorry if im spoiling here, im just speculating, based upon some of the trailers i have seen. i think they gave it away.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By trophyhunter
    @c1337us said:
    " 9-10 hours isn't that short guys. Anyway sounds like you liked it which is good. I am looking forward to getting the game as well. "
    yeah 9 to 10 hours is the average length of a game these days
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By trophyhunter
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " isnt the killer the guy you play as. sorry if im spoiling here, im just speculating, based upon some of the trailers i have seen. i think they gave it away. "
    no it's not the game explains away that part
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " isnt the killer the guy you play as. sorry if im spoiling here, im just speculating, based upon some of the trailers i have seen. i think they gave it away. "
    Why would you write this in a thread which says No Spoilers on top?
    Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Brunchies

I really want to play this but I don't have a PS3 so it will have to wait for a while, that makes me very sad.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @xyzygy said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    Why would you write this in a thread which says No Spoilers on top? "
    i never even played it asshole, and im just going by trailers so how could that possibly be an actual spoiler? its just speculation
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    i never even played it asshole, and im just going by trailers so how could that possibly be an actual spoiler? its just speculation "
    Yeah ok, that makes sense. Come into a thread that says "No Spoilers" clearly in the title, and ask someone for clarification on what you think might be a spoiler. What if it was true? Wouldn't you feel like an ass to all those you ruined the story for? I know I haven't seen any trailers for this game in ages (like going on a year) because I want nothing from the story spoiled. Trailers these days tend to give away a lot, and that's why I avoid them. 

And jeez, no need to get all defensive. Maybe it would have worked better if instead I just asked if you were blind.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By luce

are there any extras?

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#31  Edited By megalowho

thanks for the writeup. it really seems like my kind of game, and I'll probably attempt to go from start to finish as well. can't wait to play it.

CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CraigAA1028
    @yani: The beginning is a bit slow, but it is needed to contrast the darkness of the rest of the game. The demo is basically chapters 3 and 4 of the full game. Once Ethans story picks up, the action tends to be constant. THere is rarely a chapter where someone is not trying to kill you lol To sum it up, it's got tons of action and it's dished out constantly.
    takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By takua108

Well damn, I may have to  go purchase a PS3 after all.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @xyzygy said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    i never even played it asshole, and im just going by trailers so how could that possibly be an actual spoiler? its just speculation "
    Yeah ok, that makes sense. Come into a thread that says "No Spoilers" clearly in the title, and ask someone for clarification on what you think might be a spoiler. What if it was true? Wouldn't you feel like an ass to all those you ruined the story for? I know I haven't seen any trailers for this game in ages (like going on a year) because I want nothing from the story spoiled. Trailers these days tend to give away a lot, and that's why I avoid them.  And jeez, no need to get all defensive. Maybe it would have worked better if instead I just asked if you were blind. "
    it makes sense when i dont care. 
    takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By takua108

...Moving on. I know you might not want to play it again so soon, but I kind of want to hear (without spoiling anything) just how having a character die changes the plot of the rest of the game. That really intrigues me.

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DRE7777

Does anyone know if you can get a shit ending in this game, because I played through Indigo Prophecy and got the shittiest ending in the entire world because of my choices. I could have looked online to make sure that didn't happen, but thats not what I want out of a game. I wanna make the decisions I make and still get a decent ending, if not the best ending. I was wondering if thats how this game works as well, like is there one ending, multiple endings that are generally the same, or drastically different endings like Indigo Prophecy.

CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CraigAA1028
    @DRE7777: I'm some part through my second play. I'm pretty sure I got the best possible ending the first time. On my second play through, I'm pretty much putting down my controller for the interactive movie sequences and seeing what happens. So far, changes aren't that big, but that could change since I know that later parts of the game require you to hit those prompts to survive. That's not a spoiler since I'm sure that common knowledge.

POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILERS (Just being safe here. I do not reveal anything major below, like the fate of characters or anything. It's a small part that many will view as insignificant. Avoid highlighting if you would rather not know.)

xAbleAssassinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By xAbleAssassinx
    @CraigAA:  I thought it was incredible too, finished it a few weeks ago, posted my review here.   

Quantic Dream have genuinely achieved something incredible with Heavy Rain. You may be skeptical. I too was hesitant to trust that it would do everything they boasted. I too feared it would be, (god-forbid) one long quick time event. But until you have experienced it, there is no real way to express how refreshing and exhilarating it was to play through what is, frankly, a groundbreaking product.   

I wont give anything away about the story, all I’ll say is that although it’s not the most original yarn to be spun in recent times, and influences such as Saw and The Departed (to name a few) can be seen throughout. If we consider the way in which that story is told, with it’s endless variables, branching paths and multiple endings. The authentic and terrifically realised characters that act out these gripping scenes, as well as the vivid, engrossing world they inhabit. Then it’s clear that Heavy Rain is not a game, nor is it a movie; it is in fact is as perfect a cross between the two mediums as we’ve ever seen, or are likely to see for years to come. A unique and refreshing experience, that sucks you into its dank, grimy world, makes you care about the people within it, and leaves you with a sensation games rarely manage to evoke. This one is definitely not to be missed.  

Check out my thoughts...
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @PureRok said:
    9 hours isn't that short especially with a game that has a ton of re-playability.
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

I haven't played the game or anything but I bet the killer is the fat detective!!!!!  Or the head of the FBI investigations guy in the demo?!!!

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By RobotHamster

Can't wait for this game so I can get everyone killed muahahahahah, then I'll play it again the right way.

PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PenguinNerd

So I was reading an article on Killzone earlier today and the first comment spoiled the game...to those who have beaten it...if I send you a pm can you confirm or deny whether or not what I saw is indeed a real spoiler?  I'm pretty sure it is and if so then that's really upsetting as I'm not sure how much I'll be able to enjoy this game, I'm really really excited for Heavy Rain and hope to God that it was someone just spreading around fake spoilers...probably not though :(

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By btman

can't wait to grab this on the weekend....stupid midterms...

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
    @nerdboy said:
    " So I was reading an article on Killzone earlier today and the first comment spoiled the game...to those who have beaten it...if I send you a pm can you confirm or deny whether or not what I saw is indeed a real spoiler?  I'm pretty sure it is and if so then that's really upsetting as I'm not sure how much I'll be able to enjoy this game, I'm really really excited for Heavy Rain and hope to God that it was someone just spreading around fake spoilers...probably not though :( "
    I can try to it has been awhile though.  I don't recall any twists in the game (lol?) but I will be happy to help.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I can't wait to play this game!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.