Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

will heavy rain suffer from the uncanny valley

ianmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ianmac

Hi there  

this is my first post so I hope i've posted in the right place. 
    I have seen some amazing visuals from this game but do you think that  
    it will stuff from the uncanny valley effect like what append with 
    FF fantasy the spirits with.  the character looked a bit to real and didn't animate well enough to look convincing.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

I think that if it happens, it will be the least of their worries. 

If it plays anything like Fahrenheit, that could be a big problem.

ianmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ianmac

I through fahrenheit played ok some parts of that game where a little broken tho :) 
    but I did like what they where trying to do.
    I can't image them quantic dreams not working out the problems Fahrenheit had. 

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I don't have a problem with the gameplay of Fahrenheit, so I'm cool withthat. But I never noticed a problem with the visuals till I showed a friend the Tech Demo last night for Heavy Rain, and she giggled quite a bit throughout it. Maybe as a gamer, I got used to some weird visuals over the years.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By galiant

That's an interesting concept. First time I've heard of it, but I've certainly experienced it. 

The facial animation in Uncharted 2 for example was really well done, whereas in Assassin's Creed II they look very forced, more like puppets than anything.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MerlijnVH

I believe games will still have this uncanny valley effect for quite a while. Though, the big budget games these days such as Uncharted 2, Resident Evil 5, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Heavy Rain all put a lot of effort (and a lot of money) in finding good actors and putting them in a motion capture studio for most of the development cycle, so for quite a while now I've been having a good feeling about video game animation and cinematics.

ianmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ianmac

it is a strange concept but it seem to make a lot of sense 
    I think it will definitely be something that will be come more prevalent  
    as games getting more an more realistic. I think as gamers we tend to be a bit for forgiving  
    of it than the average person.

morningdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By morningdrive

a normal person will see that and say "wow that looks so real!" thats probably it, Uncharted 2 is a good example of how voice syncing and all that good stuff should be done. Some parts of heavy rain appear a little weird when the characters talk, but i'm sure they will work out all the issues when the game is released

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Venatio

Well think about this, Ryan previewed the game and he is the one that talks the most about the uncanny valley thing and he didnt say anything about that 

So I think thats a good sign

walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By walreese55

dude, this uncanny valley crap is pure bullshit. 30 rock makes a 30 second joke about polar express and now we all think the "uncanny valley" is real. fuck that.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By torus
    @brainboy77 said:
    " dude, this uncanny valley crap is pure bullshit. 30 rock makes a 30 second joke about polar express and now we all think the "uncanny valley" is real. fuck that. "
    It's not some grand conspiracy, it's just a way of quantizing a natural human response. Don't be a dumbass.

And yes, if Heavy Rain is anything like that demo they showed of the woman actor auditioning for a part (a while ago), it will be pretty unnerving.
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @ianmac said:
    " Hi there  

this is my first post so I hope i've posted in the right place. 
    I have seen some amazing visuals from this game but do you think that  
    it will stuff from the uncanny valley effect like what append with 
    FF fantasy the spirits with.  the character looked a bit to real and didn't animate well enough to look convincing.
    "
    You can't really compare the two because and as redundant as this may sound, one's a game and another is a movie.
    ianmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ianmac

alphiehyr dude are you joking FF sw was a CG movie how is it not comparable?? 
    the only really difference between the too are that a games gfx are in the most part generated real time 
    and a CG film is pre rendered. the pricepal of the uncanny valley still applies to both of them.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

Nah. I don't expect it to. The more things in the uncanny valley we experience, the less uncanny they get. If heavy rain was coming out as a PS3 launch title some years ago, the effect might be much more dramatic.

But those Japanese robotic toddlers are fucking horror movie creepy. Those will take much longer to make it out of the uncanny valley than videogames.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By DJJoeJoe

I don't get an uncanny valley feeling from all of the media released on the game thus far.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By CannonGoose

That main girl and the guy with the beard look terrifying whenever they talk or do anything with their faces.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @ianmac: 
    Welcome to Giant Bomb. From what I've played of the demo the animation isn't too bad. Not amazing or anything but decent. Same goes for the voice acting.  

@Jeust:

I agree. From what I've played the QTEs are way better and easier to do. However that doesn't change the fact that a miscellaneous task like climbing over a fence in Indigo Prophecy was way harder then it needed to be. I hope they learned from their mistakes.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptBedlam
    @DJJoeJoe said:
    " I don't get an uncanny valley feeling from all of the media released on the game thus far. "
    I do ...especially when the game tries to be sexy. It just looks awkward and wrong and makes you hope the scene ends as quickly as possible.
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cspiffo

The uncanny valley is still alive and well in this gen. of gaming,  I don't see how it will be different for Heavy Rain
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Marz

All of Heavy Rain was MoCapped by the actors and from what i saw in the demo the animations were actually pretty good.  The only thing that worries me is how good the voice acting will be.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Daryl

Fahrenheit played ok-ish. I played it on a PC and for the timing sequences I could get past them with no problems by mashing all the keys on my keyboard constantly. Seriously, that worked. The big problem though was trying to use a mouse for the timing stuff, YUCK. I think Heavy Rain is refined it enough for it to work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.