Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

I Am Alive

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 07, 2012

I Am Alive is a survival game. The story revolves around a man trying to find his family in the ruined Midwestern city of Haventon after a devastating, apocalyptic event.

The ONLY post-apocalyptic game without supernatural enemies?

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By AssInAss

Is this true?

Human encounters
    Human encounters

That just has me more excited that they weren't tempted. Now instead of having a tacked-on attempt for enemy variety, they can focus on human power dynamics.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By TwoLines

That's pretty neat. So many Sci-fi and fantasy themed games... I'd like to see more games that focus on real life events.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By I_smell

I thought the first trailer had zombie monsters in it.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AssInAss

@I_smell said:

You must be thinking of The Last of Us.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BoOzak

Yeah, I doubt there wont be at least a couple monsters in there somewhere. But this game does seem intresting, despite it's shoddy graphics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Technically mutants and mushroom zombies qualify as natural.

Yeah, I'm that guy.

A post-apoc game where you fight the Devil would be cool. Oh wait Darksiders.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By AlmostSwedish

I hope this game is really good. Not that I ever want a game to be bad (except possibly Sonic games) but you know.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Sooperspy

I do really love the idea of I Am Alive. I just hope it turns out good.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By jozzy

They seem to be introducing some innovative mechanics in this game regarding interaction with npc's. Aparently npc's will behave realistically in a way that they are intimidated when you have more powerful weaponry, or that they might scare you away instead of killing you if they have nothing to gain with your death.

I am more than willing to look past so-so graphics and animations if they can pull this off convincingly.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By I_smell
    @AssInAss said:

@I_smell said:

You must be thinking of The Last of Us.

OH- duh, I am, sorry.
    AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AssInAss

@jozzy said:

They seem to be introducing some innovative mechanics in this game regarding interaction with npc's. Aparently npc's will behave realistically in a way that they are intimidated when you have more powerful weaponry, or that they might scare you away instead of killing you if they have nothing to gain with your death.

I am more than willing to look past so-so graphics and animations if they can pull this off convincingly.

Yeah, it's like the NPC AI in SWAT 4 to another level.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Redbullet685 said:

Please share the idea of I Am Alive with the rest of the class because I'unno what the hell this is.
    AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AssInAss

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Redbullet685 said:

Please share the idea of I Am Alive with the rest of the class because I'unno what the hell this is.

Let the developers tell you:

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vorbis

Well Enslaved had robots, I guess they don't count as supernatural.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Bwast

@Vorbis: There was that whole memory pyramid thing. That's pretty out there.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I'm playing through Disaster Report right now. It's interesting, controls are severely dated, but the concept is still solid even today IMO. Voice acting is horrible, but in an entertaining kind of way. Nothing like hearing a woman talk about 2000 people dead in a tone like she's announcing a birthday party.

Raw Danger is next on my list, then maybe I'll check out this I Am Alive game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By BisonHero

Is there really no game like Mad Max, where it's post-apocalyptic, but everybody just lives in a bunch of ramshackle settlements and straps a bunch of scrap metal to their cars? I know Fallout and Borderlands and RAGE obviously crib a lot from that movie, but you're right, most of them have mutants or aliens or something.

Is there really no game that is just a straight rip of Mad Max, where you just fight human bandits and criminals and whatever? I swear there is, but I can't think of anything right now.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By DeF

@Vorbis said:

Well Enslaved had robots, I guess they don't count as supernatural.

@Bwast said:

@Vorbis: There was that whole memory pyramid thing. That's pretty out there.

yea, Enslaved was full-on sci-fi.

there are very few post apocalyptic games that present you with somewhat "plausible" enemies/situations. see the list@Sreya: posted.

also, Spec Ops: The Line should fit that description as well.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#20  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@BisonHero said:

Is there really no game like Mad Max, where it's post-apocalyptic, but everybody just lives in a bunch of ramshackle settlements and straps a bunch of scrap metal to their cars? I know Fallout and Borderlands and RAGE obviously crib a lot from that movie, but you're right, most of them have mutants or aliens or something.

Is there really no game that is just a straight rip of Mad Max, where you just fight human bandits and criminals and whatever? I swear there is, but I can't think of anything right now.

Waterworld (the PC RTS based on the movie, not the 3DO or Virtual Boy games), Warzone 2100 (post-nuclear 3D RTS, free and open source nowadays, the only "supernatural" element is a Skynet style AI that wiped out mankind, but the main enemies in the campaign are other groups of people trying to scavenge pre-war technology, just like you), and then there were quite a few vehicular combat games, like Outlander, Necrodome, Quarantine, Bandits: Phoenix Rising and Death Drome which generally took the Road Warrior concepts straight on with little to none of the mutated zombie alien stuff.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus

@Brodehouse said:

Technically mutants and mushroom zombies qualify as natural. Yeah, I'm that guy. A post-apoc game where you fight the Devil would be cool. Oh wait Darksiders.

Yeah... that game's pretty cool.

Anyway, I never played Rage- who were you fighting in that. There were cars- were they supernatural?

EODTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EODTech

There are tons of them. The Fallout games and the STALKER games, two of the most famous franchises in gaming history. Where the hell have you been?

Also Half-Life and Dead Rising.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @AssInAss:  

There's one mutant in the game.
    AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AssInAss

@EODTech said:

There are tons of them. The Fallout games and the STALKER games, two of the most famous franchises in gaming history. Where the hell have you been?

Those all have not natural enemies, STALKER has that awesome psychic fat goblin thing and Fallout has super mutants. Half Life has the aliens, Dead Rising the zombies.

I Am Alive is still the only game with just human enemies.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BPRJCTX

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

@AssInAss: There's one mutant in the game.

Hmm, i'm not sure about that, i mean he could be a mutant, that depends on what you define as one, but i don't think he got like that because of "The Event".

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @BPRJCTX said:

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

@AssInAss: There's one mutant in the game.

Hmm, i'm not sure about that, i mean he could be a mutant, that depends on what you define as one, but i don't think he got like that because of "The Event".

It could be that he's a red herring to throw you off about the causes of The Event. 
    You can sort of peek behind the veil, he looks mutie to me. Lika sasquatch sumbitch.
    Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MotorStorm: Apocalypse.

Oh yeah. Nah I'm kidding that one doesn't count. Interesting... I guess post-apocalypse is just so commonly associated with mutants and stuff that we just don't expect to not see that stuff, kudos to I Am Alive for going there I guess.

Edit: You know what? Fist of the North Star just has dudes in it, albeit super crazy kung fu dudes.

EODTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EODTech

@AssInAss: @AssInAss said:

@EODTech said:

Those all have not natural enemies, STALKER has that awesome psychic fat goblin thing and Fallout has super mutants. Half Life has the aliens, Dead Rising the zombies.

Not supernatural. STALKER's mutants and anomalies are created by the enormous radiation and a rift in space-time. Fallout, ditto with the mutants. Half Life's aliens are not magical, they're just aliens. And the zombies in Dead Rising have been infected with a virus. None of that is supernatural. Radiation and distortions in reality (such as black holes) are very much natural. Aliens are a mathematical certainty. The only thing you could argue is unnatural is the zombie virus, but that's biological, not magical. Unnatural does not equal "supernatural."

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AssInAss

@EODTech said:

@AssInAss: @AssInAss said:

@EODTech said:

Not supernatural. STALKER's mutants and anomalies are created by the enormous radiation and a rift in space-time. Fallout, ditto with the mutants. Half Life's aliens are not magical, they're just aliens. And the zombies in Dead Rising have been infected with a virus. None of that is supernatural. Radiation and distortions in reality (such as black holes) are very much natural. Aliens are a mathematical certainty. The only thing you could argue is unnatural is the zombie virus, but that's biological, not magical. Unnatural does not equal "supernatural."

No Caption Provided

If you're going into semantics and acknowledging aliens as a certainty, maybe I should have named the thread title "only post-apocalyptic game with just humans i.e. homo sapiens not homo erectis or neanderthals or mutated freaks or anything unnatural".

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @Krakn3Dfx said:

I'm playing through Disaster Report right now. It's interesting, controls are severely dated, but the concept is still solid even today IMO. Voice acting is horrible, but in an entertaining kind of way. Nothing like hearing a woman talk about 2000 people dead in a tone like she's announcing a birthday party.

Raw Danger is next on my list, then maybe I'll check out this I Am Alive game.

I think you are my new favorite person on giantbomb
    Avatar image for curbstomper23330
    curbstomper23330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By curbstomper23330

I like the idea of I am Alive, the only thing is it doesn't have enough "cool-shit" for the masses, so most game developers stray away from this type of game. It simply just isn't marketable enough. personally i didn't like how constricted gameplay was in IAA, but i do think it has potential, maybe a mixture of fallout and i am alive would be better. i like the idea of going where i like and doing what i want in fallout as opposed to being forced to do certain tasks in iaa. now in reality in a post apoc world you would not explore at will, and would only go outside if running out of food and water or you absolutely need to, but in real life this type of environment one would succomb to cabin fever or just boredom and insanity and it really makes for a boring game. so there definately has to be more to the game than just surviving. A better game, i think would be a world gone mad with factions, like the slavers and raiders from fo3 and the legion from NV, im not so sure about the enclave brotherhood or NCR, just a bunch of sticks and stones tribes.. maybe the enclave equivalent could be black water mercenaries or something with guns too, whoever had the guns in this world would be boss. but if bethesda made this game i would put the ability to choose your character like in skyrim, with the argonians, nords, etc you could choose vault dweller, slaver, raider, wastelander, etc.. (also i do like the idea of a population emerging from underground vaults) you could be a wondering nomad, at the mercy of larger factions or become a bandit and work your way up the ranks like a pirate captain, until you're kingpin of an area and enslave other factions and make trade routes with equal or more powerful factions and taking over areas like in san andreas with the street gangs. bartering is definately something i like about bethesda's games, but it should be more along the lines of you having a backpack or duffel or something and only carry what you can fit, not have 300 lbs of shit that nobody can see you carrying. bottle caps are a little stupid too, i think it would be more like trading a bottle of water for ammunition or something like this, or wetnaps, like in the book of Eli. i could go on for hours about ideas i have, but the main thing is for developers to make money there has to be some kind of mission involved and a game has to be beatable so they can make a sequil

PS. im totally down with the idea of not having ridiculous super mutants and giant ants like fallout even if radiation did do this type of thing to creatures, which it doesnt, it would take millions of years for creatures like this to evolve, not just 200 yrs. i do like both games though, but basically i think fallout without the monsters is what im after.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TentPole

@curbstomper23330: Welcome to giant bomb and remember to use paragraphs.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By DeF

@curbstomper23330 said:

so there definitely has to be more to the game than just surviving.

Welcome, new duder! Have you heard of DayZ (the ArmA II mod?)

Read those three stories over at RPS and I think you might change your opinion about "just surving" being boring :D

Avatar image for curbstomper23330
    curbstomper23330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By curbstomper23330

Mind Blown!! Yea you rite!! only i dont think zombies should be that agile!! Fuck!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.