Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Insomniac Games

Company »

Insomniac Games was founded in 1994, and for a decade developed titles exclusively for Sony platforms such as Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, and Resistance. In 2013 they released their first multiplatform game, Fuse, on PS3 and Xbox 360, and in 2014 released their first current-gen title, Sunset Overdrive, exclusively on the Xbox One.

What Is The Secret To Making Insomniac Games So Good?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

I mean I'd hope only Ted Price knows that but we can still speculate.

Here's my point: Ratchet & Clank should be the most repetitive game in the world and, I daresay there are some people who think that, but a lot of people I chat to love the series. When I ask them why they love it they can never really give me an answer... behind all the HD graphics and orchestral score it's probably the most repetitive game since well, a lot of NES games etc. In concept at least. And here's the thing... stay with me here ;)

I, and many others, absolutely love Ratchet & Clank. I don't think they are brilliant in the innovative "world changing" sense - just... brilliant. But like many others I simply can't explain what is so great about the series. After all the settings are fairly linear and the objective straight forward - shoot everything that moves. Yet for some reason I could play Tools Of Destruction over and over and over. And I really honestly don't know why.

And to a lesser extent I got the same thing with Resistance - here are hundreds upon thousands of the same enemy but I just want to keep shooting them over and over. After playing the Resistance 2 beta I'm already certain that the game is going to be about 100 times more addictive than Resistance, and with the online modes probably more addictive than R&C.

So here's the thing - given that Insomniac's games aren't particularly mind-blowing in concept how the hell do those developers make the games so addictive? Because I just can't put my finger on it.

Is it the level design, the likeable characters, the emphasis on collecting? I just don't know.

It must be something in the water right?

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By SpinCookie
    get2sammyb said:

Is it the level design, the likeable characters, the emphasis on collecting? I just don't know.

I think you nailed it right there, also the weapon design, they're pros at that.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By daniel_beck_90

never liked Ratchet & Clank

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demyx

I agree with you, and I have no idea. But whatever it is, I hope they keep doing it

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

The weapons do it for me. The incentive to keep upgrading the weapons, suit, etc. make me come back to that game time and time again.

Mattzz10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Mattzz10
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "The weapons do it for me. The incentive to keep upgrading the weapons, suit, etc. make me come back to that game time and time again."
    ^^^right there is what does it for me, the weapons are so unique and balanced that any weapon is good and you want to use them all.  Every situation seems different because of the weapons you use.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

I think it's the fact that the guys are Insomniac aren't retarded.

I miss their Spyro games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.