Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jeff Gerstmann

Person » credited in 4 games

Jeff Gerstmann is the co-founder and former Editor-in-Chief of Giant Bomb as well as a professional video game scientist and anime expert.

Jeff Gerstmann Heads to New York, Takes Questions

TommyH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This was awesome. Love hearing Jeff talk about games and gaming like this, always entertaining and informative in a good balance.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#52  Edited By Yummylee

@nentisys said:

Cool talk, bro.

Although pretty much 95% of the questions asked have been covered by Jeff in the Jar Time series.

I feel like I've heard Jeff discuss the dissolution of the 'B-tier developers like Midway' 100 times at this point. Still made for some good viewing all the same, though. Srs bsn Jeff I always find to be fascinating to listen to; he's very good at drawing you in and keeping your attention.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Great talk. Jeff never ceases to be fun to listen to. Thanks for making it available on the site.

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nice! I missed the first 10 minutes when I got there.

I was pretty surprised at the general not-terribleness of the questions in the Q&A part, haha

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tirion said:

I realize that the scenario is a bit different, but comparing this Q&A with the PAX panels makes a lot of the PAX panel questions so much more cringeworthy. The Q&As at PAX is still entertaining in a different way, but this was just really interesting all the way through.

Actually that goes for other panels at PAX actually. Most of the panels I've gone to at PAX are generally content specific and it's rare people ask dumb questions when it's not a general fan audience for a thing. For instance, even though it was Rich and Vinny at the Produced panel, everyone pretty much had a great question and it was on point to the topic. Since social issues are hard and inherently controversial, they're the only other type of panel where things can go a bit weird but overall it's mostly just been the Giant Bomb panel over the years that makes me dread Q&A.

I guess the positive spin is that in most other situations, Q&A is pretty decent if there's a topic focus or direction to the panel. If it's just a convening of fans, eh...

Is that Produced panel archived anywhere?

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbqbram said:

@bacongames said:

@tirion said:

I realize that the scenario is a bit different, but comparing this Q&A with the PAX panels makes a lot of the PAX panel questions so much more cringeworthy. The Q&As at PAX is still entertaining in a different way, but this was just really interesting all the way through.

Actually that goes for other panels at PAX actually. Most of the panels I've gone to at PAX are generally content specific and it's rare people ask dumb questions when it's not a general fan audience for a thing. For instance, even though it was Rich and Vinny at the Produced panel, everyone pretty much had a great question and it was on point to the topic. Since social issues are hard and inherently controversial, they're the only other type of panel where things can go a bit weird but overall it's mostly just been the Giant Bomb panel over the years that makes me dread Q&A.

I guess the positive spin is that in most other situations, Q&A is pretty decent if there's a topic focus or direction to the panel. If it's just a convening of fans, eh...

Patrick said something about an audio archive? Don't know if it'll go up on the site.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's always really interesting to hear Jeff talk about this stuff. He has a lot of wisdom about the industry.

Gildermershina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

URN BREW? What the fuck?

Seriously though, speaking as a Scotchman, the secret of Irn Bru is not only is it not made from girders, it's also not that good of a drink.

madlands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By madlands

That was a great interview. It's nice to hear Jeff commenting out loud on the things he does in a more formal environment.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This was way more interesting than I expected. Hope you do more if this stuff, Jeff.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbqbram said:

@bacongames said:

@tirion said:

Patrick said something about an audio archive? Don't know if it'll go up on the site.

Vinny packed an audio recorder for PAX, but he is on vacation and also may not have used it for his panel.

pocketroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to the future of Giant Bomb

=]

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

A lot of interesting discussion came out of this. One of the many reasons I love this site.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Really enjoyed this.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@wunder_ said:

@dylanfill: Can I ask what everyone was there for if not for Jeff? I'm just curious because I thought the event was a talk with a few people, with Jeff being one of the headliners, but I suppose I have very little knowledge of the actual event surrounding the Q&A. Was it open to the public? What else was going on besides the interview and questions?

I mean, it was advertised as one talk in an ongoing series of discussions with important game biz people. But it was only ever promoted as An Evening with Jeff Gerstmann, and not like a roundtable discussion with other gaming minds. What I'm confused about is the...older people in the audience, some of which didn't seem particularly familiar with Jeff or his work. Maybe they just really dig community events.

You have a lot of that in larger cities/university towns. I live in Bloomington, IN, home to Indiana University, and I find myself going to all kinds of events that are out of my scope or knowledge or interest because I have the access to them. I may not always live here so I want to take advantage of the opportunities it provides.

AimlessAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff's reasoning behind the rating system was interesting. I've always wonder the logic behind certain sites and their choice of review ratings.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I love it. Jeff seems like such a knowledge grown up in this. It's not that you forget that with the GB content, it's just different

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this was awesome. Jeff in Jar-Time mode is always interesting to listen too.

Mercer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the rating argument he had with an old Gamespot boss: Well, he wanted 4-stars and I wanted 5-stars so we just went with the 19-point system... haha

Pepipopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damn i love Jeff.

xseedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great talk, good questions! Jeff can talk, thats for sure.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Man I love hearing Jeff solo on the mic. Great talk and great Q&A.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was fun and I watched the whole thing, but I've literally heard Jeff answer every one of those questions multiple times before. That probably says something more about me... but eh.

internetfamous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: You tend to get more well thought-out questions in environments like this one. The people attending are there mostly for the learning experience (this was an educationally facilitated talk, presumably for students only without or with limited access to outside parties), so it makes sense that they'd want to ask questions that really count.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Really loved this video. Good job, Jeff!

Kojak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Kojak

Hell yes SJ Sharks hat in the audience!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Really happy to hear Jeff acknowledge the wiki and all, as you would otherwise suspect it was about ready to be put to pasture. However, I feel like Jeff has long aired his aspirations for the wiki and yet it's been stuck in the same state for so long now. I'd like to hope these new workings within the wiki will be implemented sooner rather than later; maybe when they at least finally hire these new staff members.

edgeCrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was a really good talk, I'm kind of bummed I didn't go now.

Wiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good questions!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Nice talk! I've heard Jeff answer most of this stuff before, but it's great to get a little bit more depth into some of it. And it was cool to see the really enthusiastic students getting into the whole thing. Really enjoyed this one.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

That was a great talk!

always appreciate hearing Jeff's opinions and man did he drops some hints of possible great new things to come for the site.

good stuff!

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

awesome show!

Beast_Legacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Beast_Legacy

It was cool getting to ask a question about PR and Marketing's relationship with critics. The whole talk was a nice, refreshing palette cleanser for the wrasslin' carnage about to ensue at PAX.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#85  Edited By droop

Jeff is so fucking cool. What an absolute legend in this industry. Rock on big Jeffrey!

No Caption Provided

marblecmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Glad this made it on the site. Good talk, Jeff!

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This was fantastic, thanks Jeff!

Avatar image for deactivated-59601bf090f91
    deactivated-59601bf090f91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great stuff. You're an awesome public speaker, Jeff! :)

exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

2 hours of time I should've been sleeping well spent. Great questions and great answers from Jeff as always.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

It was cool getting to ask a question about PR and Marketing's relationship with critics. The whole talk was a nice, refreshing palette cleanser for the wrasslin' carnage about to ensue at PAX.

A perfect example of GiantBomb being half "frank inside baseball on the gaming industry" and half "insane bullshit".

BreakfastKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was great. Much more academic questions than most panels. Also, always nice to hear behind the scenes stories. /clap

melting_window

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was great Jeff. What a season, what a season...

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

That was great Jeff. Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This is great. Hearing Jeff speak in a more serious manner is always interesting.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I love it when Jeff gets semi-serious and just talks business. It's often a refreshing and interesting insight into the world of someone that's been in the industry for a long time and has some perspective. It's also a good counterbalance to all the absolutely nutty things that go on in a PAX panel or an episode of the Bombcast. Awesome!

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Strife777

Great talk, that was cool. You said things I've heard you say in other places (Jar Time, podcast,etc.), but I liked it.

It's almost as if you were some kind of expert. Almost.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

NIce, thanks for the upload Jeff.

RoninKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By RoninKane

Straight-ish Talk with Gerstmann Podcast

No Caption Provided

(Taking on the real shit, then laughing about it!)

Kayrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good stuff, always great to hear the other sides we dont often get a chance to see of the crew and a healthy discussion

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@dylanfill: Really cool dude, I live in Brooklyn and I would have definitely gone if I knew more in advance they were doing this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.