Jet Set Radio Coming to XBLA/PSN

• 167 results
Posted by Alex (2021 posts) -

Sega's pledge to bring Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network downloaders a hefty chunk of titles from the publisher's final foray into the home console market has brought us such Dreamcast...erm, "classics" as Crazy Taxi, Sega Bass Fishing, Daytona USA, and Space Channel 5: Part 2, which is to say, it hasn't exactly brought us very many of the games people who owned Dreamcasts are actually shouting about when they yell at you regarding how great the Dreamcast was. Fortunately for those who enjoy yelling about how great the Dreamcast was, that's about to change.

It's actually a little disturbing to realize this game is nearly 12 years old now.

Via a vague YouTube video posted on Sega's official blog, the publisher has officially announced its intention to bring the much-beloved Jet Set Radio to XBLA and PSN sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Jet Set Radio (known as Jet Grind Radio in North America) is, of course, the famous Dreamcast game that somehow managed to make rollerblading seem like something other than a misguided holdover hobby from the early '90s. In it, players would take control of a group of rollerblading miscreants hellbent on grinding every available piece of scenery in three distinct districts of Tokyo-to, while spraying graffiti all over everything and staving off rival gangs, cops, and military soldiers in the process. Think of it like Tony Hawk meets Marc Ecko's Getting Up, all wrapped up into a still rad-looking cel-shaded art style from a time before people really knew what the hell cel-shading in video games even was.

While Sega's mystery blog doesn't give any hints as to a time frame for Jet Set Radio's arrival, we can expect that it won't be too far off, if they're already dropping hints about this thing. In any event, it'll be plenty of time for people to start arguing about whether Jet Set Radio, or its sequel, Jet Set Radio Future, had the superior soundtrack (it's totally Jet Set Radio Future). And while you're doing that, maybe say a little prayer that the full soundtrack actually makes it into this HD re-release. After all, it's not like we haven't had to deal with excised licensed tracks in these sorts of games before.

Finally, please enjoy this original trailer from the game's original press cycle back in 2000, and remind yourself how adorably unpretentious video game trailers were back then.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2021 posts) -

Sega's pledge to bring Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network downloaders a hefty chunk of titles from the publisher's final foray into the home console market has brought us such Dreamcast...erm, "classics" as Crazy Taxi, Sega Bass Fishing, Daytona USA, and Space Channel 5: Part 2, which is to say, it hasn't exactly brought us very many of the games people who owned Dreamcasts are actually shouting about when they yell at you regarding how great the Dreamcast was. Fortunately for those who enjoy yelling about how great the Dreamcast was, that's about to change.

It's actually a little disturbing to realize this game is nearly 12 years old now.

Via a vague YouTube video posted on Sega's official blog, the publisher has officially announced its intention to bring the much-beloved Jet Set Radio to XBLA and PSN sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Jet Set Radio (known as Jet Grind Radio in North America) is, of course, the famous Dreamcast game that somehow managed to make rollerblading seem like something other than a misguided holdover hobby from the early '90s. In it, players would take control of a group of rollerblading miscreants hellbent on grinding every available piece of scenery in three distinct districts of Tokyo-to, while spraying graffiti all over everything and staving off rival gangs, cops, and military soldiers in the process. Think of it like Tony Hawk meets Marc Ecko's Getting Up, all wrapped up into a still rad-looking cel-shaded art style from a time before people really knew what the hell cel-shading in video games even was.

While Sega's mystery blog doesn't give any hints as to a time frame for Jet Set Radio's arrival, we can expect that it won't be too far off, if they're already dropping hints about this thing. In any event, it'll be plenty of time for people to start arguing about whether Jet Set Radio, or its sequel, Jet Set Radio Future, had the superior soundtrack (it's totally Jet Set Radio Future). And while you're doing that, maybe say a little prayer that the full soundtrack actually makes it into this HD re-release. After all, it's not like we haven't had to deal with excised licensed tracks in these sorts of games before.

Finally, please enjoy this original trailer from the game's original press cycle back in 2000, and remind yourself how adorably unpretentious video game trailers were back then.

Staff
#2 Edited by Humanity (9002 posts) -

YESSS! Finally!

Love Jet Set/Jet Grind this is long overdue!

#3 Posted by Alpha1 (254 posts) -

Cant wait!!! :D

#4 Posted by fkinthecoffee (15 posts) -

man this is great news

#5 Edited by Arc209 (102 posts) -

Sweet! Bout time.

Edit: Also holy crap that trailer...

#6 Posted by UltimAXE (376 posts) -

Has Sega been cleaning up the visuals for these things? That art style should look really solid in HD.

That said, I remember Jet Set Radio being extremely frustrating. Future was fun, though.

#7 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

Fuck YES!

#8 Posted by JackSukeru (5907 posts) -

Rollerblades? Sounds like some kinda chainsaw contraption.

#9 Posted by DefAde (264 posts) -

Ahh man... JSR was not nearly as good as JSR-F... I'd definately buy JSR-F, but hated JSR

#10 Edited by IAmNotBatman (628 posts) -

I played one of these games for the first time recently and didn't like it, maybe I played it too late to appreciate the game. I could be interested in this, I haven't decided yet.

#11 Posted by MolluskLingers (109 posts) -

uh it's called Jet GRIND Radio

#12 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4356 posts) -

O-M-F-G

THIS YEAR IS GONNA KEEP GETTIN MORE AND MORE OFF DA CHAIN

#13 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -
@Methodis said:

There's nothin' wrong with a little bump 'n grind.
#14 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

I HAVE LOST MY JSRF CD AND I AM SAD

#15 Posted by SM5240 (146 posts) -

Oh my fucking god yes.

#16 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

Jet Set Radio Future is where it's at, but this rules regardless.

#17 Posted by Chris2KLee (2332 posts) -

Hope they price it reasonably. $10 feels about right.

#18 Posted by yoshisaur (2699 posts) -

Great game, never played it for more than the multi-player racing though.

#19 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1610 posts) -

Got the JSRF/Sega GT 2002 combo disc with my original Xbox. Still my favorite Xbox game.

#20 Posted by Nev (544 posts) -

I have interest in this.

#21 Posted by Paindamnation (794 posts) -

@Vexxan said:

Fuck YES!

@Alpha1 said:

Cant wait!!! :D

@SM5240 said:

Oh my fucking god yes.

ALL of this. I have been waiting for this game, since I played it as a kid. Still remember some of those songs, and

!!!SPOILER!!!

YOU rollerblade as a FREAKING dog. Excellent.

#22 Posted by cikame (987 posts) -

Excellent, i love this game, never got very far but still played the hell out of it.

Excited.

#23 Posted by Robster (69 posts) -

I loved this game, playing as Potts was one of my most beloved computer game memories :D

#24 Posted by TheDigitalistic (70 posts) -

Future EASILY had the better soundtrack.

Come along children. We're going to have a little music, like old times, like old times. Look now, I'll start the melody on the organ!

#25 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Hopefully the original soundtrack comes back, I wanna play that game the way it was meant to be played!

#26 Posted by TheKing (827 posts) -

About time!

#27 Posted by Goldanas (546 posts) -

Both soundtracks were good in their own right. They both had their own tones and suited each game well. I personally have both CDs and enjoy them in equal part.

Now, if one were to suggest that Ollie King had a better soundtrack . . .

#28 Posted by Zaph (274 posts) -

@TheDigitalistic said:

Future EASILY had the better soundtrack.

Come along children. We're going to have a little music, like old times, like old times. Look now, I'll start the melody on the organ!

Hellllloooooo Allison....

#29 Posted by Ono_Sendai (80 posts) -

I would love to play this on my Vita, but I'll play it however I can!

#30 Posted by LoktarOgar (367 posts) -

The JSR quick look throwback ( http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-throwback-jet-grind-radio/17-1328/ ) was enough to convince me that I do not ever want to play this game, even without the hand cancer inducing monstrosity that is the Dreamcast controller.

#31 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

I only played the GBA port of this game and it was great.

#32 Posted by hollitz (1496 posts) -

HOLY FUCK. This just became my most anticipated game this year. One of my very favorite Dreamcast titles. FUCK. I'm so excited.

#33 Posted by GeedAwesome (31 posts) -

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Sega, I love you and I forgive almost everything you've done that was stupid, retarded and idiotic.

Never will I forgive you for Sonic 2006. You still owe me big for that one.

#34 Posted by Atary77 (502 posts) -

Groovy! Totally looking forward to this!

#35 Posted by WalkerD (462 posts) -

I'm sure more people will discover the quaint concept of love.

#36 Posted by Yorec (14 posts) -

I hope, hope that it still has its original soundtrack. It would suck if it didn't.

#37 Posted by MrBob21 (1 posts) -

Sounds awesome, can't wait

gamegiant.net

#38 Posted by flanker22 (124 posts) -

@Methodis said:

if not joking... original name was Jet Set Radio, it was changed when it was localized because of trademark issues.

they brought back the original title in Jet Set Radio Future which wasn't changed.

#39 Posted by Paindamnation (794 posts) -

Jet set radio future HD-release, would also be epic.

#40 Posted by MormonWarrior (2561 posts) -

Well that's awesome. I'm still holding out for an XBLA version of Power Stone Collection though.

#41 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@TheDigitalistic: That song was my childhood. That and Funky Dealer. And statement of intent. And fucking Aisle 10.

Damn I loved that game. A re-make or new game with modernised controls and the same soundtrack would be the greatest thing on this earth.

#42 Posted by Solh0und (1763 posts) -

I just exploded in joy!

Now all I need is JSRF as a re-release.

#43 Posted by countinhallways (632 posts) -

This news makes me unreasonably happy.

#44 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

I remember back in the early 90s when aggressive inline skating was fucking huge, i had a pair of K2 fatty's and loved it.

#45 Posted by Trilogy (2647 posts) -

@Styl3s said:

I remember back in the early 90s when aggressive inline skating was fucking huge, i had a pair of K2 fatty's and loved it.

Ha, I was just thinking about my K2's... good times.

#46 Edited by durden77 (303 posts) -

Hell yeh! I still play JSRF pretty regularly, but I'm still pumped as fuck for this.

#47 Posted by BirthWild (259 posts) -

OH my GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH, I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited gosh dang it!

#48 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3042 posts) -

YES.

#49 Edited by ultrapeanut (385 posts) -

First SSX and now this, oh my goddddddddddddddddddddd I'm 15 again.

And yeah, JSRF most definitely had the better soundtrack.

#50 Posted by Stete (728 posts) -

Wow, after watching that trailer I have to say its quite impressive how the game still looks damn good even though its been 13 years since its release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.