Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

John Woo Presents Stranglehold

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 05, 2007

Return to the roots of filmmaker John Woo's "heroic bloodshed" films of the early 90s with the video game sequel to one of Woo's most notable films.

Need more games like this. (John woo presents Stranglhold)

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Moon

itsok.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

Well Levio*, no it wasn't a success and sold a mediocre amount of copies. Hence why Midway is dead. Plus, the cover system was such crap that it was best to just peek around corners while unattached. Maybe you were playing on Easy.

*Indication of clone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who the hell bothered covering, you just flung yourself out of cover in slo-mo and capped fools.
    I really liked this game, very entertaining.

Oh yeah, Vinchenzo, why would you say such derogatory remarks towards this member with the Braveheart avatar.
    I bet the closest movie to Braveheart Levio ever saw was Black Knight starring Martin Lawrence

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Moon
    TeflonBilly said:
    "Who the hell bothered covering, you just flung yourself out of cover in slo-mo and capped fools.
    I really liked this game, very entertaining."
    On the last level you have to use cover since the airplane takes away almost all your health.

p.s. I do not have any idea who Levio is...
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

I enjoyed this game but after the market level, it got really too samey and a bit boring. Plus, the final level where you have to sniper the boss guy with like a pistol while a million goons run around you was so annoying.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brukaoru

Might want to look at the upcoming game called WET... Looks exactly like Stranglehold, but with a female character.

Personally, I think the gameplay and camera look pretty bad. Constantly slowing down seems like it could become really repetitive and boring. Anyway, here's a gameplay trailer:

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    Vinchenzo said:
    "Well Levio*, no it wasn't a success and sold a mediocre amount of copies. Hence why Midway is dead. Plus, the cover system was such crap that it was best to just peek around corners while unattached. Maybe you were playing on Easy.

*Indication of clone."
      he ain't Levio  
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm interesting. Seems like it has a little splash of Mirror's Edge there as well.
    The camera angle could' be a bit more behind her though. Hope they add in alot of that Kill Bill/No More Heroes craziness they hint at there.

niccoles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By niccoles

Stranglehold Is a good game that has a good story to back it up. Wet is a terrible clone of stranglehold, that just looked crappy with all its film reel atmosphere (made the game look grainy), the meh camera, and the story, which was retarded. Stranglehold may not be perfect, but what game is? For me it fulfilled its duty: to be FUN. Is there no game that you have played, where you liked it but others hated it? @Moon and @TeflonBilly have the right idea. And @Vinchenzo, y'know, if people didn't care so much about games in the spotlight and looked for not-so-heard about games like this one, the game would have been more popular. If you want to be pissed about someone else's opinion, just keep it to yourself.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Oh my God, this thread me me laugh so hard. "itsok"
     Hahaha, man, I love it. Anyway, I just bought this game for $9, so I'm hoping I like it as much as this guy did! I just beat Dark Sector today, and I really had a great time with it. Only $3 too! What a deal!

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Niccoles said:
    " Stranglehold Is a good game that has a good story to back it up. Wet is a terrible clone of stranglehold, that just looked crappy with all its film reel atmosphere (made the game look grainy), the meh camera, and the story, which was retarded. Stranglehold may not be perfect, but what game is? For me it fulfilled its duty: to be FUN. Is there no game that you have played, where you liked it but others hated it? @Moon and @TeflonBilly have the right idea. And @Vinchenzo, y'know, if people didn't care so much about games in the spotlight and looked for not-so-heard about games like this one, the game would have been more popular. If you want to be pissed about someone else's opinion, just keep it to yourself. "
    10 months ago they may have cared......
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By dichemstys

I played this game because I got it from Gamefly. It was way too repetitive for me.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By regularassmilk

I had fun with it, but no. Its mediocre as hell.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust

It was a great game, and i still have it. I didn't reach the end, but plan to, one of these days. 

While not a masterpiece, it fulfils it job very well as an action game inspired by the movies. And though the game didn't sell well, last year the game was used as an example of cinematic gaming at the Games Developers Conference in San Francisco. That speaks for itself. 

url: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/stranglehold/news.html?sid=6206995&om_act=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates;title;1

snoopdye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By snoopdye

Watch John Woo's Hardboiled. If you love that movie it will make the game better on a sentimental level.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By TheFreeMan

I had a ton of fun with this game. Yeah, it had it's flaws, and it was pretty short, but damn it if the shooting wasn't awesome. Looking back at the carnage and destruction that I caused after a big gun-fight always made me smile.

Too bad the multiplayer was dead as all hell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.