The Studio Behind Flower Reveals Journey

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The studio behind the curious PSN downloadable Flower, as well as flOw, is at work on another pseudo-exploration game. The kicker is that it will include an online mode where players can experience the game's "emotional chords."  

Journey, according to press materials (via NeoGAF), presents thatgamecompany's "unique vision of an online adventure experience." Taking place in a mysterious world, you'll be able to walk, glide, and fly through a deserty landscape with rippling dunes, all the while discovering details about a mysterious ancient civilization. 

As you can imagine, TGC's approach to online will be different. The details are light, but what has been provided is this factoid: you'll be able to travel by your lonesome or "adventure with strangers" as you play.

Journey is set to release in 2011. It's unclear if it will be a downloadable or not.    
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The studio behind the curious PSN downloadable Flower, as well as flOw, is at work on another pseudo-exploration game. The kicker is that it will include an online mode where players can experience the game's "emotional chords."  

Journey, according to press materials (via NeoGAF), presents thatgamecompany's "unique vision of an online adventure experience." Taking place in a mysterious world, you'll be able to walk, glide, and fly through a deserty landscape with rippling dunes, all the while discovering details about a mysterious ancient civilization. 

As you can imagine, TGC's approach to online will be different. The details are light, but what has been provided is this factoid: you'll be able to travel by your lonesome or "adventure with strangers" as you play.

Journey is set to release in 2011. It's unclear if it will be a downloadable or not.    
#2 Posted by GiantBomberman (7 posts) -

Sounds cool i'll let it flow
#3 Posted by Kevino13 (121 posts) -

...so you walk in a desert?

#4 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

I like it, reminds me of an idea I had for a game, although mine had more alien aspects to it.

#5 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Kinda sounds like The Path a little bit except instead of a forest, it's a desert.

#6 Posted by RagingLion (1363 posts) -

Anything that game company does is worth keeping a firm eye on.  Looks a good starting concept.

#7 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

What now, Vinny?

#8 Posted by darkjester74 (1572 posts) -

Myst Online is back...

#9 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Looks like "me too" Ico. I imagine the music will be wind chimes or some shit. If an 'art game' has a formula, its not much of an art game. It could be good but all I see here is pretention.

#10 Posted by bcjohnnie (442 posts) -
@ryanwho:  I guess I can see some influences from Ico here, but I'd hardly call it "me too"... If you don't like Art games that's cool, but there's no reason to insinuate that this is ripping off a 10 year old game when it's pretty clearly not.
#11 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

"Taking place in a mysterious world, you'll be able to walk, glide, and fly through a deserty landscape with rippling dunes, all the while discovering details about a mysterious ancient civilization."

...it's like they made a game just for me!

#12 Posted by MeatSim (10777 posts) -

Are video games art?

#13 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@Meatsim said:

"  Are video games art? "

No. Moving on, this looks okay, I guess. Nice visuals... but I want to know if it's more than just walking.
#14 Posted by FireSketch (827 posts) -

Well I love the art style. :D

#15 Posted by Frostler (244 posts) -

That looks weird, in a good way I think.

#16 Posted by LucyGlitter (237 posts) -

I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT

#17 Posted by blacklab (1528 posts) -

Cool, I was just playing Flower the other night.  Very original. Looking forward to this one.

#18 Posted by Digi7alS3lf (84 posts) -

I like what i saw in those pictures. I hope they keep it downloable.

#19 Posted by onarum (2020 posts) -

I love Flower, TGC is a great developer, I'll definitely get this.

#20 Posted by Kahoona (223 posts) -

I bet this game looks incredible in motion.

#21 Posted by sgt_match (121 posts) -

This is vague enough to pique my interest

#22 Posted by sirchode (62 posts) -

Really hoping this cribs the online elements from Demon's Souls. Seems like that could work really well for it

#23 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

This looks pretty good, actually.

#24 Posted by ZmillA (2261 posts) -

looks damn cool, I like games that can nail isolation

#25 Posted by juice8367 (441 posts) -

I get a  Shadow ot the Colossus vibe from the screenshots

#26 Posted by ZagZagovich (755 posts) -

Looks pretty. I really hope they'll come up with some sort of gameplay and not just raw exploration. After a few hours of Saira I've had enough of tacked on puzzles and empty places that are just there to look pretty.

#27 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

Don't Stop Believin'. Hold on to that feeling.

#28 Posted by BigChief (503 posts) -

Very interested in seeing more on this one.

#29 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

I can't think of anything more exciting than wandering aimlessly in the desert. :|

#30 Posted by JohnRabbit (100 posts) -

beautiful isolation.  this looks absolutely amazing.

#31 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

Vinny will bring in sand to prove its more beautiful.

#32 Posted by wecantgetaway (28 posts) -

This has the potential to be killer.

#33 Posted by BjornTheUnicorn (356 posts) -

So this is Flowest??? 
EHHH 
eHHHH

#34 Posted by Zombiesaurus (9 posts) -

Looks nice, art reminds me of  Love.

#35 Posted by blaakmawf (543 posts) -

I'll probably buy it.

#36 Posted by fox01313 (5064 posts) -

So it's Myst lite effectively?

#37 Posted by Tsukiyomi (77 posts) -
@juice8367 said:
" I get a  Shadow ot the Colossus vibe from the screenshots "
#38 Posted by PasteyMF (6 posts) -

Looks sick. Can't wait.

#39 Posted by yellownumber5 (353 posts) -

Yeah, feels like Shadow of the colossus in the pics. Maybe there will Sandworms!  Probably not, but I love TGC, SotC, and Dune, so this looks like a win by me.

#40 Posted by Fierrze (171 posts) -

I'm really looking forward trying this out.

#41 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

Those screen shots push all the right buttons.  Makes me think Ico/Colossus meets Out of this World.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.