Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Just Cause 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 23, 2010

Rico Rodriguez returns to explore another autocratic island nation in this explosion-laded followup to Just Cause.

Physx

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

Wasn't the PC version meant to come with upgraded waves for the sea and other such Physx nonsense? Coes so far, what I'm seeing seems very console-y and not what the PC exclusive content developer diary they released a few weeks back showed. Or am I just missing it? Don't see any way to enable the features in the settings menu either.

max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By max3000

Have you looked at the advanced gpu options? it has AO and GPU-geometry-water-thingy which looks quite impressive but you'll need quite the rig to run it with everything turned on.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vitor

I noticed SSAO but not the GPU-geometry-water-thingy. Then again, I'm using Nvidia's latest mobile card (the GTX 285m) so maybe it doesn't recognise my GPU and so assumes I have an ATI one so blocks it out? Or is CUDA available to ATI cards as well, unlike Physx?  

I'll check again but I spent the first 20 mins with the game tweaking the settings (can max it out without Vsync and SSAO at 1600x900 and it never drops below 30FPS - was playing the demo at similar settings at full 1920x1080 but here the performance impact for that res is HUGE- we're talking over 50% performance hit which shouldn't be happening. 10/20% is the usual downfall for that increase in res).

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Vitor said:
    " I noticed SSAO but not the GPU-geometry-water-thingy. Then again, I'm using Nvidia's latest mobile card (the GTX 285m) so maybe it doesn't recognise my GPU and so assumes I have an ATI one so blocks it out? Or is CUDA available to ATI cards as well, unlike Physx?   I'll check again but I spent the first 20 mins with the game tweaking the settings (can max it out without Vsync and SSAO at 1600x900 and it never drops below 30FPS - was playing the demo at similar settings at full 1920x1080 but here the performance impact for that res is HUGE- we're talking over 50% performance hit which shouldn't be happening. 10/20% is the usual downfall for that increase in res). "
    Uh dude, I'm not trying to be a smartarse here but your GTX 285M is not the latest mobile GPU from Nvidia and it's based on the the older G92 core.  The latest Nvidia mobile GPUs, like the GTS 360M, are from the 300 series range, all based around GT215 Core. The full game has much larger maps and viewable distance so don't expect the same level of performance which the demo offered because it was less than 1/4 of the full game in terms of landmass.  That said, you should be getting decent performance, certainly better than my 9600GT provides me.  Try disabling VSYNC first.  

Here's the GPU Water Simulation setting in case you missed it:-
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Vitor said:

" I noticed SSAO but not the GPU-geometry-water-thingy. Then again, I'm using Nvidia's latest mobile card (the GTX 285m) so maybe it doesn't recognise my GPU and so assumes I have an ATI one so blocks it out? Or is CUDA available to ATI cards as well, unlike Physx?   I'll check again but I spent the first 20 mins with the game tweaking the settings (can max it out without Vsync and SSAO at 1600x900 and it never drops below 30FPS - was playing the demo at similar settings at full 1920x1080 but here the performance impact for that res is HUGE- we're talking over 50% performance hit which shouldn't be happening. 10/20% is the usual downfall for that increase in res). "

Uh dude, I'm not trying to be a smartarse here but your GTX 285M is not the latest mobile GPU from Nvidia and it's based on the the older G92 core.  The latest Nvidia mobile GPUs, like the GTS 360M, are from the 300 series range, all based around GT215 Core. The full game has much larger maps and viewable distance so don't expect the same level of performance which the demo offered because it was less than 1/4 of the full game in terms of landmass.  That said, you should be getting decent performance, certainly better than my 9600GT provides me.  Try disabling VSYNC first.    Here's the GPU Water Simulation setting in case you missed it:- "
    The GTS 360M is a higher clocked GTS 260m and is far far FAR worse than the GTX 285m - Nvidia like to fool customers by renaming constantly in a confusing manner when actually, the mobile 3** series has yet to have its proper introduction. As is, my card is the fastest mobile single GPU solution you can get from Nvidia (the ATI 5870 is faster by about 10/20%). If it was the GTX 360m, then you'd have a point - that one letter change makes a world of difference in gaming. If you check the list on the right of the GTS 360m  description (good site choice by the way - it's one I use frequently), you'll see that the 285m is ranked considerably higher. Although the GTS 360m was released a little before the 285m if I remember correctly despite the 285m being based on older architecture.

I disabled Vsync and that helped and the difference between 1920x1080 and 1600x900 isn't too huge and the performance boost for the lower res is substantial enough that I don't mind - I'd rather this and have nearly every setting maxed out than having to cut stuff down to medium if I were to play at full 1080. 

Also, yeah, no options for CUDA or the filter anywhere - my card was only released mid-last month so is probably unrecognised. Then again, if the performance hit for those options is as big as people say, I probably wouldn't be able to toggle them anyway.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Vitor said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Vitor said:

Uh dude, I'm not trying to be a smartarse here but your GTX 285M is not the latest mobile GPU from Nvidia and it's based on the the older G92 core.  The latest Nvidia mobile GPUs, like the GTS 360M, are from the 300 series range, all based around GT215 Core. The full game has much larger maps and viewable distance so don't expect the same level of performance which the demo offered because it was less than 1/4 of the full game in terms of landmass.  That said, you should be getting decent performance, certainly better than my 9600GT provides me.  Try disabling VSYNC first.    Here's the GPU Water Simulation setting in case you missed it:- "
    The GTS 360M is a higher clocked GTS 260m and is far far FAR worse than the GTX 285m - Nvidia like to fool customers by renaming constantly in a confusing manner when actually, the mobile 3** series has yet to have its proper introduction. As is, my card is the fastest mobile single GPU solution you can get from Nvidia (the ATI 5870 is faster by about 10/20%). If it was the GTX 360m, then you'd have a point - that one letter change makes a world of difference in gaming. I disabled Vsync and that helped and the difference between 1920x1080 and 1600x900 isn't too huge and the performance boost for the lower res is substantial enough that I don't mind - I'd rather this and have nearly every setting maxed out than having to cut stuff down to medium if I were to play at full 1080.  Also, yeah, no options for CUDA or the filter anywhere - my card was only released mid-last month so is probably unrecognised. Then again, if the performance hit for those options is as big as people say, I probably wouldn't be able to toggle them anyway. "
    GTS360M has 10.1 and less stream processors (96 vs 112) but as far I've seen it is faster than the GTX 285M.  Show me a benchmark which disproves that please.  I'm interested to know.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vitor
    @SeriouslyNow:  

Well, first of all there's the website you linked to - the 285m is way higher up on the tier list and that does mean something. 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=455065 

Hard to find benches for the GTS 360m but it's basically just more efficient and runs cooler than the 260m while being less powerful - and with the 285m being about 25% faster than the 260m, that's a pretty significant disadvantage for the GTS 360m.  

Also, just because a card is DX 10.1 doesn't mean anything - some of the new lower end ATI models are DX11 but never will you be able to run any DX11 game with those cards considering the performance hit that tessellation and other DX11 features incur. 

Here's a benchmark thread for the 285m that I made on that site: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=462345 

I sincerely doubt that the GTS 360m would come anywhere near to the scores I'm getting on some of those games at 1920x1080 res. If you've seen any benches that prove otherwise, they were surely done at a lower res. 

EDIT: Thanks for the image, I totally don't have those options though. Hopefully the next mobile driver from Nvidia will sort that out (whenever the hell that's finally released).
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Vitor:   Yeah but those tier lists aren't always correct as my 7900GTX in my Clevo was quite a bit faster in many games than mobile GPUs which are rated higher on those tier lists.  GTS 360M definitely has less stream processors and a smaller bus (128 vs 256) but it's GDDR5 and that means it can transfer almost 2x as much data as a 256bit GDDR3 bus equipped GTS260M in the same cycle.  Don't forget that the new Nvidia 470GTX and 480GTX cards are also GDDR5 with smaller busses than the previously 200 series top end cards and they are capable of much higher data throughput. The GTS360M is not less powerful than the GTS260M, power isn't only about Stream Processors, it also has to do with bus efficiency and being able to run longer at lower temps.  The GTS360M is a 45NM package which has a lower TDP and that means it will not be as prone to downclocks based on temp as your GTX285M or the GTS260M.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vitor
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Vitor:   Yeah but those tier lists aren't always correct as my 7900GTX in my Clevo was quite a bit faster in many games than mobile GPUs which are rated higher on those tier lists.  GTS 360M definitely has less stream processors and a smaller bus (128 vs 256) but it's GDDR5 and that means it can transfer almost 2x as much data as a 256bit GDDR3 bus equipped GTS260M in the same cycle.  Don't forget that the new Nvidia 470GTX and 480GTX cards are also GDDR5 with smaller busses than the previously 200 series top end cards and they are capable of much higher data throughput. The GTS360M is not less powerful than the GTS260M, power isn't only about Stream Processors, it also has to do with bus efficiency and being able to run longer at lower temps.  The GTS360M is a 45NM package which has a lower TDP and that means it will not be as prone to downclocks based on temp as your GTX285M or the GTS260M. "

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptop/toshiba-qosmio-x505.aspx?page=2  

That's about comparable to my laptop only their unit has more RAM. 

Those scores pretty much prove that my 285m demolishes them in real gaming - even a 280m gets far, far better scores in Far Cry 2 (on ultra at full 1920x1080 the 280m gets an average of 45FPS - demolishing the GTS 360m's 28FPS) and the fact that all those tests were done at 1024x768 is telling. 

I'm sure that the new 3** series will be fantastic but the GTS 360m is a mid-end GPU solution and not a true representation of how Nividia's new range will perform while the 285m remains at the top of its class. 

And the GTS 360m is less powerful than a GTX 260m (unless you writing GTS 260m  instead of GTX was just a typo at which point I apologise) in real world gaming. And even if it were comparable, it would not match the 280m. 

Also, I was in a thread that was speculating on the new ATI 5870 card (and the Asus G73JH in particular) and there was massive disappointment initially when it was announced that it would be GDDR3 and not GDDR5 but those were proven to be unfounded when the card finally released. The fact is that if you've got the speed, GDDR3 isn't that much of a disadvantage. Think of it like a hose pipe - GDDR3's nozzle is thinner than that of the GDDR5 but the water coming out is being pushed out faster so it doesn't really matter in the end. That's the issue the GTS 360m has - it's just not fast enough and won't be able to handle higher resolutions at a decent FPS.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sodiumCyclops

It could be one of those 'trick' visual option games. Like some games you have to have everything turned on for just one of the options to work properly.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vitor
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " It could be one of those 'trick' visual option games. Like some games you have to have everything turned on for just one of the options to work properly. "
    Tried that too - I'm pretty certain it's just because my card is too new and not recognised as it was only released last month. Although if the next driver update doesn't fix things, then I've got a problem. 

Also, regarding the GTS 360m vs GTX 285m issue:  http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=6068829#post6068829
    ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By ectoplasma
     @Vitor said:
     was playing the demo at similar settings at full 1920x1080 but here the performance impact for that res is HUGE- we're talking over 50% performance hit which shouldn't be happening.   
    Hmm, did u want to imply the full version runs more smoothly than the demo? I had some fps problems with the demo. When I play with everything turned on (1980x1200) besides SSAO and only 4x AA I get like 26 fps average. Between 22 and 30 almost all the time.  But the game doesnt feel smooth at all, even if I reduce the settings significantly. I normally put the settings in shooters so far down until i have constant 60 fps (in Bad Company 2 thats medium and 1650x1080 resolution).
     I have a 4890 1gb, phenom be 955 3.2ghz, 4 gig ddr3, I was in the impression it should run more smoothly. Maybe the game runs much better on Nvidia cards or is very CPU centered, because I have a friend with an i5 and a worse video card than mine and his game runs fine on max settings.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mikemcn

I WANT MY FANCY WAVES!

Anyone have a comparison video of the two? I'd like to see what physx could possibly add to wave simulation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.