Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

The controls can't be that bad, right? (Killzone 2 Campaign)

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

Edited By Jayross

This is part one of my PlayStation 3 blog series. I have owned an Xbox for all my life , and recently purchased a PS3. I am now playing a lot of PS3-exclusive games and blogging about them.

I just finished the Killzone 2 campaign and left feeling pretty satisfied.

I was able to customize the controls almost to my liking, but they still felt a bit clumsy.

The shooting doesn't seem to have the accuracy of COD or Battlefield, and feels a bit more like Gears of War in 1st person. I found myself spraying quite a bit, especially when the assault rifle with the holographic sights ran out of ammo.

Speaking of weapons, there are some pretty cool ones. The bolter rifle was a lot of fun, as well as the grenade launcher. The sniper rifle was really well done with the two zoom levels, as well as having to keep the dualshock still while aiming.

The game looks really nice, easily surpassing anything from the Halo series. However, Halo does have the awe-inspiring skyboxes as well as the varying environments.

The skyboxes in Killzone 2 felt very bland, although that is a relatively minor complaint.

My main gripe with the environments in Killzone 2 is that there is very little variation. Most of them were a blur of dark industrial centers. Some highlights included the military academy as well as... well, that's really all that comes to my mind.

The mission structure has a good variation and I enjoyed the different tasks assigned to me. There was a very immersive battle towards the end of the game where it really felt like my side was progressing and gaining ground. It felt more like a real, large-scale firefight than anything I have experienced in Call of Duty or Battlefield singleplayer.

Next up: Killzone 2 Multiplayer    

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jayross

This is part one of my PlayStation 3 blog series. I have owned an Xbox for all my life , and recently purchased a PS3. I am now playing a lot of PS3-exclusive games and blogging about them.

I just finished the Killzone 2 campaign and left feeling pretty satisfied.

I was able to customize the controls almost to my liking, but they still felt a bit clumsy.

The shooting doesn't seem to have the accuracy of COD or Battlefield, and feels a bit more like Gears of War in 1st person. I found myself spraying quite a bit, especially when the assault rifle with the holographic sights ran out of ammo.

Speaking of weapons, there are some pretty cool ones. The bolter rifle was a lot of fun, as well as the grenade launcher. The sniper rifle was really well done with the two zoom levels, as well as having to keep the dualshock still while aiming.

The game looks really nice, easily surpassing anything from the Halo series. However, Halo does have the awe-inspiring skyboxes as well as the varying environments.

The skyboxes in Killzone 2 felt very bland, although that is a relatively minor complaint.

My main gripe with the environments in Killzone 2 is that there is very little variation. Most of them were a blur of dark industrial centers. Some highlights included the military academy as well as... well, that's really all that comes to my mind.

The mission structure has a good variation and I enjoyed the different tasks assigned to me. There was a very immersive battle towards the end of the game where it really felt like my side was progressing and gaining ground. It felt more like a real, large-scale firefight than anything I have experienced in Call of Duty or Battlefield singleplayer.

Next up: Killzone 2 Multiplayer    

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By moelarrycurly

My biggest gripe with Killzone 2 was how heavy everything felt.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3  Edited By JTB123

They were made to feel that way though, the developers wanted the weapons to feel like they had some weight behind them. Once adjusted I really liked how the shooting felt in Killzone 2, all of the weapons feel very powerful.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Gabriel

Killzone 2 was a little too corridor shooter for me, the story was blander than this geography book I'm reading, and the controls were...special. 

It was ok but MW2 was a much more enjoyable game for me, hopefully Killzone 3 is better.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Skald

I really like Killzone 2. It's been my favourite multiplayer shooter for some time now.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Akrid

The shitty controls, weighty animations, imbalanced classes, and generally ineffectual weapons give the multiplayer a quality I love more than in any other game. The campaign was meh.

Add Akr1D if you want to play!

GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By GhostlyEnigma

@moelarrycurly said:

"My biggest gripe with Killzone 2 was how heavy everything felt. "

It's probably a design choice by the developers. It wants to make you feel that you're holding an actual weapon.  
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Djeffers03

You've owned an xbox your whole life? So you're 9? 

But yeah, I hated the controls in Killzone 2, they completely ruined would would have been a pretty good game for me. At least they're a little more tight in multiplayer, or at least they were 12 months ago since I last played it.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By RobotHamster

I really liked the controls, I liked the sense of weight each gun had so that it didn't feel like every other fps.  And I had a lot of fun with the multiplayer, haven't played it for some time now but I'll get back into it once I get 3. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Everyone always says how this game isn't like COD or Battlefield, that's because it wasn't designed that way and was designed with weight to each weapon. 

Killzone 2 is my favorite shooter in years since Timesplitters 2, the game also still looks really damn good and I'm really looking forward to how Killzone 3 will push the PS3 even further.

Zao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Zao

Take away the gorgeous visuals Killzone 2 really wasn't all that to be honest the story and characters are so forgettable. Even with sensitivity all the way up there where times it was a challenge just to get the reticule lined up with an enemy 

They didn’t design it that way, it was just bad. Here’s hoping for KZ3.      

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Jayross: Nice, brief write-up. I have both Resistance 2 and KZ2, but haven't got more than an hour into either. Now that its Xmas, I might bash through. 

So many games to finish...
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I was never able to achieve what I would consider "accuracy" in KZ2. In the end, I never did finish it.

FokisMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By FokisMoney

I did enjoy killzone multiplayer, i liked the futuristic COD style it had going, but a little more balanced IMO (no killstreak chaining foolishness) but i felt the campaign was pretty meh. I am looking forward to killzone 3, but Halo Reach/BF:BC 2and Resistance are still my favorite shooters. I think Resistance def. takes if, it may have  a weaker competive multiplayer, but god damn the WOW raid style co-op online is the best new mode in a shooter since horde IMO.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Yeah they tried to add some weight to it. I had a hard time with the last level where accuracy was important to your survival against a million helghast rushing at you full speed.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Raineko
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Yeah they tried to add some weight to it. I had a hard time with the last level where accuracy was important to your survival against a million helghast rushing at you full speed.

"
    Yeah that level sucked because they seemed to spawn forever. 
    Well the MP of KZ2 was really good but the campaign is not really fun at all.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By gamb1t

I agree. The game just didnt give me the satisfaction a SOLID game would.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Nasar7

I loved KZ2 when it was the only FPS I was playing. It's hard to play it at the same time as a BF or MW though, the feel is just so different that it's hard to adjust back.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#19  Edited By sammo21
    @moelarrycurly: Thank you!  The weight of everything made moving around feel like swimming.  I enjoyed the campaign more than I did the multiplayer as I thought the progression made me loath doing anything there.  I did like the map/game mode rotation though as I wish games like Halo Reach and others took it up.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheHBK

I dont understand why they try to make the game something its not.  The weight on the guns, why?  Its not a tactical military shooter.  Fuck man, all the enemies take more damage than you can.  So that doesn't make sense.  Some missions were cool but the characters were terrible.  I hated being that retard Sev.  And I wanted to blow ricos brains out every minute.  So I feel like that game tries to be COD, Unreal Tournament and old School Rainbow Six all in one.  Which is a bad thing.  Still the best thing about the game was the multiplayer and the switching game types.  Love that idea.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deeveeus
    @Zao said:
    "

Take away the gorgeous visuals Killzone 2 really wasn't all that to be honest the story and characters are so forgettable. Even with sensitivity all the way up there where times it was a challenge just to get the reticule lined up with an enemy 

They didn’t design it that way, it was just bad. Here’s hoping for KZ3.      

"
    Yes they did, they specifically said they didn't want the player to be able to whip weapons around...it was to give the feeling o f a HEAVY ass gun in the hands of someone loaded with HEAVY ass armor....and it delivered on that. It's not a twitch shooter
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Enigma777

The controls aren't bad, they're just different. Most people that hate them have played so many twitch shooters that they're unwilling to spend the time to learn or adjust to anything new. Well, they're the ones missing out...

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jmfinamore
    @Deeveeus: The only problem was when the game demanded that it play like a twitch shooter. 

But really, I never minded the controls. I thought it played just fine (outside of bullet sponge enemies). My main problem was that it wasn't very memorable or enjoyable. It looked good, but it had no style. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.