Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

A real LA Detective comments on and plays LA Noir.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

Found this video over at g4 of a real life detective playing LA Noir, as he talks about how similar it is to real detective work. The guy has something like 20-30 years experience and seems to know his stuff.  

Not really much else to add here, other then I thought it was an interesting video and that others would find it interesting as well. 

What did you guys think? I personally found it fascinating even though I haven't even played the game yet. Really says a lot for the writers given how much he said was spot on.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Dudes who have never played video games, paid to say it's "just like the real thing"?  

Welcome to sports games.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By dragonzord

So in real life, the objects on the ground vibrate and the music stops when they find all the clues? And everyone looks incredibly obvious that they're lying? How very interesting.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SSully
    @Khann: Or the famous Gran Turismo videos of racers saying how they use the game to practice and how realistic it is.  

The game obviously has some good ground in how evidence can be found and connected to people, but it is obviously very streamlined compared to real life.  

Also is it just me or does that dude remind anyone of Danny Glover?
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5  Edited By JasonR86

That was interesting.  That guy was good on camera as well.  I was actually kind of surprised how interested I was in the entire video.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

Ha, some sweet irony that he's getting some of the questions wrong :P Anywhoo for me it's mostly been a pretty dull watch. A lot of stating the obvious or rambling, and it certainly doesn't help when you got the cop and the in-game dialogue meshing together. He sounds like he definitely wants to impart some knowledge to the viewers, and this was a cool idea, but still kinda lost in a lot of stuff that's easy to guess on your own of how different police work is between the then and now. 

His mention of how people pulling out a weapon on you and running away being a fairly common occurrence was at least surprising. Trades in some authenticity of how 8/10 suspects always decided to just do a runner, over how silly and contrived it first appeared; just as a way to get an extra few chases into the mix.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Slaker117

Interesting idea, but he really isn't saying anything too insightful. Also funny to see him getting questions wrong.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

He sounds a little like Denzel Washington.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By SadPatrol

This makes me regret not playing the game with my brain more. And also that dude has a great speaking voice. 

woodroez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By woodroez
    @Khann said:
    Dudes who have never played video games, paid to say it's "just like the real thing"?    Welcome to sports games.
    I highly doubt G4 paid a detective to advertise someone else's video game.

I wish they would have picked a different case for him.  This one is so on-the-nose with it's clues and suspects.  The body has a letter confirming his life insurance policy on it, for crying out loud.
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @zoner: Perhaps it was turned off? Dumbass. 
    And on top of that, it's not like the company that made the game is putting this up, are they? This is a G4 joint, not a "LA Noire is great" joint.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By Yanngc33

Wonder if he too called suspect "little fools" while interrogation

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Nice to see there is basis in real life.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dragonzord
    @MordeaniisChaos said:
    @zoner: Perhaps it was turned off? Dumbass. And on top of that, it's not like the company that made the game is putting this up, are they? This is a G4 joint, not a "LA Noire is great" joint.
    No need to insult someone because they didn't blow your favorite game, friend.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DonPixel

I was skeptical of L.A. Noire but god this game is amazing! 

Interesting video, good to know it's not so far from reality or at least is grounded in a good research.. nice. 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#16  Edited By citizenkane

@Khann said:

Dudes who have never played video games, paid to say it's "just like the real thing"? Welcome to sports games.

As least with football, you would be surprised just how many NFL players play Madden and how obsessed they are with they play in the game. They are obsessed with their ratings.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By TobbRobb
    @zoner: Actual policework is hard, the little cues and signs that you are progressing are just there to help us poor nonexperienced wannabe cops "in case this wasn't really obvious and you really are just messing".

This goes for the interrogations too, they are made extra obvious so they won't be ridicoulosly frustrating.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vexxan

Cool.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Red12b
    Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Quipido

The detective getting half of the answers wrong is hilarious.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By buft
    @SSully said:
    @Khann: Or the famous Gran Turismo videos of racers saying how they use the game to practice and how realistic it is.   The game obviously has some good ground in how evidence can be found and connected to people, but it is obviously very streamlined compared to real life.   Also is it just me or does that dude remind anyone of Danny Glover?
    lol i initially thought it was danny glover, expected the video to end with him saying" I'm too old for this shit!" 
    J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By J12088

I wouldn't call it all that real. I've not got far but I'm not impressed frankly. I'm in the traffic cop section whatever it's called. Just done the hit and run case.

Obviously theres going to be some spoilers so don't read on if you've not played that far but..

I found a bloody knife in a bin and my partner brushed off the fact it might explain the stab wounds to the suspects chest and decided it was more likely to be used for chopping up meat and that's why it's bloody.

Er...right. Hes really not a very good detective then. See the issue is i solved that case right there and then. The guy was stabbed and thrown in front of a car to make it look otherwise. I knew what had happened from the start and instead of being able to solve it i had to go through the questioning, got several things wrong and had to run about putting together a puzzle I'd already solved. It's just very irritating so far because you unwillingly go down the wrong path and it's like..you KNOW the right way to go but the game drags you down the other route anyway.

Hopefully the cases get a little less obvious and leave me guessing.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Cirdain
    @Khann said:
    Dudes who have never played video games, paid to say it's "just like the real thing"?    Welcome to sports games.
    /end thread
    Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He's a young Keith David, that is all I have to add to this discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
    deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

He's just a dude playing a game, providing insight on how it reflects his past career. I thought it was pretty damn interesting to watch.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mordukai

That'll teach you to share something on GB and expect people to put their sarcasm sign down for a few minutes. 

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jay444111
    @crusader8463: Excuse me, but could you get a youtube clip of it too please? It's not loading for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.