Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

Shooting legs/arms, they die.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I went through a few forum pages and didn't find an answer, so i had to create this thread.. yes, i need to get with the times, but my copy arrived just yesterday. 

So i'm shooting criminals in the legs, and even shooting their hands and making them drop their weapons, yet they always drop dead.. where's my RDR-esque limb shooting ? 
    I got the game paused because i shot a fleeing murderer (of a case) in the legs and he died, and i wanna make sure that there's no other way!

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

If you hold the crosshairs on a suspect for a few seconds, Phelps will fire a shot into the air and make the fleeing suspect stop.

This probably doesn't work on every case though, as there are some suspects that are meant to die.
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I would have liked it more if they just didn't include any sort of shooting. It feels out of place, and it's pretty boring.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ZimboDK

Yeah, I think they're meant to die. I did the same thing, and they all dropped dead on me.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    I went through a few forum pages and didn't find an answer, so i had to create this thread.. yes, i need to get with the times, but my copy arrived just yesterday.  So i'm shooting criminals in the legs, and even shooting their hands and making them drop their weapons, yet they always drop dead.. where's my RDR-esque limb shooting ? I got the game paused because i shot a fleeing murderer (of a case) in the legs and he died, and i wanna make sure that there's no other way!
    I tried the same thing - my attempt to incapacitate a subject by shooting his leg as he fled just led to him shooting back at me until I had to put him down. 

Another attempt to do the same thing in a hostage situation had him kill the hostage after being staggered. 

Seems illogical and I wish there was a way to bring back perps alive.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By buft

Shooting your gun in LA noire is taken as an indication that you want them to die. it feels a little strange but i guess they wanted to put weight behind the gun play

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

I tried this a couple of times, it is super annoying that you can't incapacitate them that way.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ShaneDev

If the little circle doesn't come up when you aim then your suppose to kill them. On the story side and in real life cops don't kneecap people who try and run away.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slaker117

The game is limiting in that way and others. It has a script and wants you to stick to it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bybeach
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    If you hold the crosshairs on a suspect for a few seconds, Phelps will fire a shot into the air and make the fleeing suspect stop.

This probably doesn't work on every case though, as there are some suspects that are meant to die.

This is probably my failure for not reading the manual or something. Thanks, I've really not want to be killing everyone I chase. Without going into it, playing a cop, and especially a gun happy one, sets me on edge.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aetheldod

One of the things I disliked about the game

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Barrock

Well, most of the guys you kill are cop killers, killed civilians, or are hitmen. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @ShaneDev said:
    If the little circle doesn't come up when you aim then your suppose to kill them. On the story side and in real life cops don't kneecap people who try and run away.
    Yeah.  In a game about trying to be a good cop (as opposed to the typical Rockstar criminal or sociopath), you should only be drawing your gun as an act of defense or intimidation, or to hunt down a criminal that won't be taken alive.  Kneecapping a fleeing suspect can just bring more trouble than it's worth.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BBQBram

When it's guns out it's business time. It does feel a bit artificial that the game dictates when you can stop a fleeing suspect and when they should die. And that there are no Euphoria physics at play.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @FancySoapsMan said:

thanks, it worked! I'm reading the manual tonight i promise :P
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wuddel
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I think this only works on specific cases.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Cirdain

Your using too much skill.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Slaker117: It's as limiting as every other game out there.  It's not like you can kneecap a Locust and interrogate them for the location of their base.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Slaker117
    @Brodehouse: It's not like Gears is trying to be that type of game. And there is a down-but-not-out state in there anyway.
    Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By Zimbo

In LA Noire you go for your gun as a last resort usually. In other words, you mean to put them down. This isn't RDR. Don't degrade LA Noire just because it doesn't have some of the features in that game.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Son, I reck'n John Marston would be proud!

Also, yeah, I agree. I feel bad killing these guys. I feel like I'm not a cop. I've had a hard time adjusting to the whole "If they shoot first, kill them" practice the game emphasizes. The only times I've died are when I've tried to detain a suspect without killing them. I feel like just shooting them dead is way too easy, and I'm trying to be a good guy here. I do like the warning shot, though, but I've only been able to pull it off one time so far.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Marz

There are a few times i felt where i would have liked to shoot the weapon out of the hand and just arrest the dude instead of killing him.   But no...  the game can't handle that complexity!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic
     @Cirdain said: 
    You're using too much skill.
    Haha.. shooting a gun using a gamepad is pretty damn weird and uncomfortable, so when i do hit a leg or an arm, it does feel kinda special.  But god damn  do i wish i could plug my fucking mouse in and play the game right

@Zimbo said:
    In LA Noire you go for your gun as a last resort usually. In other words, you mean to put them down. This isn't RDR. Don't degrade LA Noire just because it doesn't have some of the features in that game.
    Firstly, no, this game is heavily based on shooting. A good chunk of the main cases have GTA shootouts (with red explosive barrels..), and 90% of the side missions seem to be GTA shootouts aswell (i've done 9-11, only 2 of them weren't red-dot killings), so the gun is anything but a last resort 
    And secondly, i don't see where i degraded the game? I was inquiring about whether or not it was possible to disable, rather than kill, the enemies. But i'm fine with either way. Amazing game, the only bad thing about it is that Phelps has no life.. there's nothing to do other than jump from one crime scene to another!
    Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Nomin

Probably didn't have time to include all the ancillary animation work to provide for alternate non-lethal encounters using firearms. Or maybe it is just all a dream. 

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#25  Edited By Brackynews

The lack of pistol whipping is very disappointing. Especially in one of the side missions where you're

not being able to bring 'em back alive is just very disappointing and I doubt the story does much to justify it in Phelps' character. He's not such a grizzled war vet he can't stop killing. :p
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

You can die getting shot in the leg pretty easily in real life.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By Deusoma

Clearly, they're all secretly Necromorphs, and the cases are all part of a Unitologist conspiracy.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By McGhee

Cops in real life don't aim for the arm or leg. They always shoot at the center of mass to kill.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.