Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

Is L4D the best zombie game ever?

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

With all the zombie games out there now do you think that Left 4 Dead rises above the rest and could be considered the best zombie game ever made?

KennyTheSober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By KennyTheSober

I would say it is by far the best co-op shooter I have played, but as a zombie game its.... ok. The fast pace and co-op nature of the game prevents it from being having a scary atmosphere, that I'd expect from a run of the mill zombie shooter. Even Dead Rising had a feel to it despite being more sandbox than the normal zombie game. Its true I feel that the campaigns in Left 4 Dead do have atmosphere and each provide a very different play through, its the lack of them. I played this game non-stop on its release but I am now bored of what it has to offer. The only thing I believe holding this game back is the lack of content, campaigns weapons, game modes and so on. When you have a decent group of people together though, the experience this game provides on the harder difficulties is unmatched.

So when more content is released for this game, the community might pick back up again and it'll be a top zombie for a few months until it settles back down.(I can only refer to the XBOX360 version of the game.)

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Diamond

It depends on if you mean true zombie apocalypse simulation or just any game with zombies.  Doom 1 is my favorite game with zombies, but I think Dead Rising nudges out Left 4 Dead for Romero-esque zombie theme.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Zombie game ever? no, It's the best Infected game ever.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Optiow

I would say that it is the best there is.
    There is great co-op that keeps you playing for hours.

Avatar image for theworstplayerever
    TheWorstPlayerEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don't know if it's the BEST but it's definately up there. I personally think Dead Rising is best zombie game

GiantRetard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GiantRetard

if only it was on ps3

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

The only really good zombie game I've ever seen or played is Survival Crisis Z. Dead Rising has elements that a great zombie game should have, but the damn thing isn't any good. Left 4 Dead is good, but isn't really a "zombie" game in the traditionalist sense. It isn't scary, and it isn't really about survival so much as getting to the end of the movie. It's about the zombie apocalypse, but doesn't really touch on humanities attempt to survive in such a world the way my ideal "zombie game" would.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

I would say so, if you disregard that it does not offer a traditional single player experience. But even then, it's not in a mould in which I think a Zombie game should be. Where's the fear?

I really think the west need to pick up the ball here, because quite frankly I do not expect Japan to, not with the inclusions of nonsense they apply in the genre. Their developers are far too influenced by bizarre Japanese horror B movies to provide real fear inducing gameplay. They also seem to lack fundamental knowledge of certain things which I think are of vital importance.

What I would love to see is George Romero used as a consultant in such games, or somebody else who is well seasoned in making horror films work heavily on such a game. I feel such directors in film can help with the construction of certain mechanics and aspects of design in these games.

Developers who approach making a game in the genre need to draw from the greats in cinema. I think one of the reasons why Dead Space offered a good game was because it did this, in respect to something as simple as sound design. When I first played the game I got the distinct impression that they had learnt much from the first two Alien films.  I think far too much focus is put on the visual, when in fact sound can have a far more instinctive fear inducing effect on humans, more than the visual these days. Why is this?, because we have become desensitized to visual horror in this age, which is why we see films of the like attempting to push boundaries and play on other more modern fears, such as torture etc. It's very hard for the human mind to not allow our bodies natural responses to be effected by sound, whereas with our eyes, we are able to alleviate fear far better..  

There's just no fear inducing gameplay these days, I respect what Valve have done and love the game, but I also see where it falls short. Can you create a game which induces fear every time you play it?. This is a question developers who enter the genre need to ask now. 

I would say anything is possible with inteligent design.

smokeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By smokeH

I would say Left 4 Dead is definetly the best Multiplayer Zombie game but not sure about the best zombie game evaaar. But its an amazing game haha!

LokiZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LokiZee

Well, I love Dead Rising, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors for my retro zombie fix, but I'd have to say Left 4 Dead is my favorite game EVER. And I have played A LOT of games! And missing a scary atmosphere? Hell, play on expert with some crappy teammates, THATS scary. But a zombie game coming up looks sweet (what little I have seen of it). Dead Rising 2 could be up there.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By c1337us

Its right up there no doubt. I am not sure if I would give it no.1 but its in the top 3.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Milkman

If it was the best zombie game ever, it would be more than 3 hours long.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By clubsandwich

I beg to differ. REmake that is.

n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By n00bosaurusRex

Yes.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By maxszy

Well how are you going to judge it? If by best Zombie game you mean "quality" then I would say yes. Its got the best co-op experience out there and is an absolute enjoyable time.

As for "zombie immersion" though? Really get you in the sense of being afraid of zombies? No, no its not.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince

Not in my opinion. It is great though.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Captain_Fookup

They're not zombies you fucking idiots.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

"I call zombie bullshit!" :P

LokiZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LokiZee
    Milkman said:
    "If it was the best zombie game ever, it would be more than 3 hours long."

Well , I have been playing it every day since it came out, and it always has something different. I'd say that is a looooooooooooong three hours. The stories that come from the verity of play are endless. The AI director really makes a difference.
    LokiZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LokiZee
    Captain_Fookup said:
    "They're not zombies you fucking idiots."

They ARE zombies. If push came to shove, and we based all knowledge of  zombie myth on the past, then the fast zombies from, let say, 28 days later wouldn't be zombies, Romero zombies from the Dead series would be the only zombies. Then Romero zombies, i.e. slow moving, head shot killed only zombies, wouldn't be zombies either. Voodoo zombies would. Then again, if we went even further back, voodoo zombies wouldn't,  it would be the zombies mentioned in the Epic of Gilgamesh. I think that myth always has a way of evolving, which can only be directed be imagination. Zombies aren't real, so a definition of a zombie truly cannot be defined.
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#22  Edited By Sin4profit

I still feel Dead Rising's the best zombie game

LokiZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LokiZee

Dead Rising is awesome. My first 360 game, and the sandbox play is awesome, though a little small in size. Hopefully, Dead Rising 2 will be larger. I'm excited for 2!!!!!!!

figmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By figmo
    it's not the best and not the worse, either. 
    Epic1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Epic1990
    Milkman said:
    "If it was the best zombie game ever, it would be more than 3 hours long."
    Have you even played on expert? It could take you that long just to finish the Finale, if you get raped by the AI director that is.
    Epic1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Epic1990
    PeasForFees said:
    "On PC No, Xbox maybe...yes?"
    I disagree sir. Pc gives you access to custom maps. With the way valve works, it takes years to get any sort of large scale new content like that.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By breadfan

It capitalized on what many people have been wanting for years, a game that allows you and your friends to kill massive numbers of zombies.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By EpicSteve

Currently, yes.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SoothsayerGB

In my opinion. I would choose Resident Evil 1 -  3. 

No Caption Provided
    When it comes to my idea of Zombie survival and the essence of Zombies in general.  The first resident evil games stand out the most in my mind.  Those titles embody so many important traits needed inside a Zombie game.  Tension, vulnerability, drama, the slow moving and ever changing mob of the undead.  Extensive maps that tell a story, while forcing you to scrounge about for what little there it to be had.  Giant zombies breaking down walls, moving earth and ripping after your sweet juicy insides.  Hot chicks at your side, always wanting more of your ripping abs and awesome unstoppable head popping skills.  ( Just like in real life :)

When I first jumped into Resident Evil.  Survival was it's middle name.  One bullet meant the world.  Learning to run and roll was life or death.  Watching your team mates have their enurds torn out was a way of life.  I mean damn, just getting my hands on one of those games was epic.  Since they were rated M. 

Zombie movies had already made a permanent impression on my young mind.  I already had a rock steady vision of what zombies were and should be like in real life.  So playing Resident Evil was as close to the real thing as I have ever tasted.  Sure, there have been other games to dabble in the genre.  Some do damn well, too. 

But most Zombie games are more about the action, story or just the splatter.  Which in their own respects, are AWESOME!  But
    No Caption Provided
    Resident Evil was all about the tension.  The white knuckle, burned pain in your hands.  Worrying over where that next herb would come from.  Determining how many zombies you didn't kill and would have to bypass again.  Was the damn Nemesis about to break down that friggin wall?!

I think most, if not all of the newer Zombie games.  Depend far to much on gun play.  It's all about shooting and destroying the hordes of undead, scratching for one more taste of sweet, sweet human.  Not that it's a bad thing to splatter guts all over post apocalyptic streets.  I just think more attention needs to be put on the Zombies and the space between them and you.  Not the bright and shiny shotgun.  The empty air.  Thats where the tension hides.

So as much as I love that blast, blast and Bang, bang.  I have to go with the nail biting sounds of Zombie moans coming from the alleyway.  The dismay caused from forgetting to save one heal for an emergency.  Heart attack educing licker neck bites.  Horrible dialog and something we can never, EVER, forget.

Lining the zombies up, to save shells.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Maybe if the zombies were a little slower and more zombie like, it could be, but I guess that would ruin the experience for a lot of people.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By mracoon

It's the best zombie game that I've played but I haven't played many zombie games.

Doomsayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Doomsayer

It is definitely up there. My top games are Resident Evil 1-3, Dead Rising, and Left 4 Dead. Resident Evil 2 might be my favorite.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By Brundage

yes, but only if you have it for the pc, not worth buying on the consols. No replay value what so ever.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Aurelito

If there wasn't code veronica my nostalgia game, my answer would be positive. 

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Alexander

Certainly the most enjoyable. I loved RE2 but going through a level of L4D with friends is simply more fun. I would like to see a bit more support in terms of how fast they are turning around these updates though, in that regard L4D is quite lacking and the fact that I still play it is testament to how good the game is.

If Dead Rising 2 has coop though... I could see that being a real contender.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Scooper

There are 2 types of 'zombie games' in my opinion. There's the old way zombies were made which was bumbling, brain-eating monsters which gave you a real sence of horror and dread. And there are the more modern 'infected' type zombies that run at you and don't wanna eat you just kill ya.

L4D is definantly the best 'infected zombie' game but for the other type I'd go for something like RE4 or RE2.

Doomsayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Doomsayer
    Aurelito said:
    "If there wasn't code veronica my nostalgia game, my answer would be positive.  "
    How could I forget Code Veronica? Definitely my favorite!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally have more fun with RE5 co-op.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JoelTGM

yes

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Linkyshinks

RE5 is disappointing for me, it does very little in my eyes to push this genre forward in a exciting way. It may bare all the hallmarks of a RE game but I expected that and more...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Linkyshinks said:
    "RE5 is disappointing for me, it does very little in my eyes to push this genre forward in a exciting way. It may bare all the hallmarks of a RE game but I expected that and more..."
    True. But I still find it more fun. Not every game needs to necessarily "push the genre" forward. If it's fun to play, it works.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By natetodamax

I think Left 4 Dead is an amazingly fun game, but the only thing keeping it from being truly awesome is the lack of damn content. There are only 4 single player missions, and each one lasts an hour. The Versus mode is fun, but it can get boring playing on the same levels over and over again (because there are only 4). I think the best thing this game has going for it is the Survival mode. Let's just hope they release more content for the game, and fix the damn Survival glitches.

Muze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Muze

Yeah I think Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising are my two favorite Zombie games.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Crono

The answer is:  Yes.

Crimacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Crimacabre

Dead Rising is better than L4D, infact i would consider it to be one of the best games ever made.

almak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By almak

As a person who doesn't really play a lot of zombie games and whose introduction to Resident Evil franchise was RE4 I would have to say its a close close call between that and L4D. Dead Rising was a likely contender but some frustrating game mechanics ultimately prevented me from enjoying it as much as I otherwise would have. 

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#48  Edited By Sooperspy

It is quite possibly my favorite zombie game, though there are many others like RE5, Dead Rising, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors. I might change my mind with Prototype coming out, which I think looks better than Infamous. Though I kinda do wish 360 had Infamous

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tekmojo

Besides have more campaigns, monsters, gamemodes, content, YES!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By TheHT

lol at those screaming "they're not zombies!"

and yes it is imo the best zombie game out there. it's got the jump factor, the overwhelming factor, the teamwork factor, the rag tag group factor, the zombie factor, the boss zombie factor, and the escape is the only goal in this scenario factor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.