Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Limbo

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jul 21, 2010

A young boy seeks to rescue his lost sister from the dreary, dangerous world of Limbo in this monochrome puzzle-platformer.

No resolution setting on PC?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

This isn't a big deal - but, having a laptop GPU, sometimes games can auto select some weird resolutions and, not evening being able to check what res I'm currently running it at is a bit weird... It looks great and, to be honest, the graphical style probably doesn't lend itself well to being made that much sharper by a resolution boost so I don't mind if it's locked at 720, but, it would just be nice to know if there's a way to check what res it currently has selected.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

Is there a windowed mode?  usually like playing native resolution without upscaling.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vitor

@Marz said:

Is there a windowed mode? usually like playing native resolution without upscaling.

Honestly, not that I can tell. The settings menu takes you to brightness, controls and credits.

I'm planning on a 1920x1080 res monitor though and the game looks fine. A little blurry due to the post processing but that looks very much intentional and I don't think it's because it's getting stretched.

Just weird as, since the game started out as a PC game, I would have thought this stuff would have made it in. Then again, changeable settings seem like they'd be a late development stage feature if the engine isn't build to be scaled heavily.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By octaslash

This is a goddamn crime against PC gamers. I haven't been this enraged since Bad Company 2 launched without a "toggle crouch" option. 

If I still had my 16:10 monitor, I might of sent someone a very angry letter. 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

@Octaslash said:

This is a goddamn crime against PC gamers. I haven't been this enraged since Bad Company 2 launched without a "toggle crouch" option. If I still had my 16:10 monitor, I might of sent someone a very angry letter.

It really is though. How fucking long does it take to add in some resolution options? That's like a day of work, at most, right?

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @Octaslash
    This is a goddamn crime against PC gamers. I haven't been this enraged since Bad Company 2 launched without a "toggle crouch" option. 

If I still had my 16:10 monitor, I might of sent someone a very angry letter. 
    @ajamafalous

@Octaslash said:

This is a goddamn crime against PC gamers. I haven't been this enraged since Bad Company 2 launched without a "toggle crouch" option. If I still had my 16:10 monitor, I might of sent someone a very angry letter.

It really is though. How fucking long does it take to add in some resolution options? That's like a day of work, at most, right?

Fucking aye, this is the single worst thing to EVER HAPPEN!!!

it's an Indy game made by a small staff missing a minor option. Perspective.
    Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By Castiel

Just chill of and enjoy the game. Sometimes pc gamers get so cought up in graphics and resolutions that they just forget to play the fuckin' games!

Like Tim_the_Corsair said it's an indy game, an extremely well made and well designed indy game for that matter, but still an indy game. Just be glad that you even get to experience this amazing game.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vitor

@Octaslash said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Octaslash
    This is a goddamn crime against PC gamers. I haven't been this enraged since Bad Company 2 launched without a "toggle crouch" option.

If I still had my 16:10 monitor, I might of sent someone a very angry letter.
    @ajamafalous

@Octaslash said:

Fucking aye, this is the single worst thing to EVER HAPPEN!!! it's an Indy game made by a small staff missing a minor option. Perspective.

@Castiel said:

Just chill of and enjoy the game. Sometimes pc gamers get so cought up in graphics and resolutions that they just forget to play the fuckin' games!

Like Tim_the_Corsair said it's an indy game, an extremely well made and well designed indy game for that matter, but still an indy game. Just be glad that you even get to experience this amazing game.

@ajamafalous said:

@Octaslash said:

Did any of you guys actually read my post before launching into the PC-elitist bashing I kinda feared this question would elicit? I'm not that bummed out - the game looks and plays great (although I feel like I've had most of the surprise lost due to hearing so much about it on the GB GOTY awards and thus, a little of the luster but that's beside the point).

I don't care if I can change the resolution - as I said, I doubt it benefits too much from looking extra sharp and might even degrade the art style. I just want to know WHICH resolution it's picked as games can be weird when it comes to mobile GPUS and default to odd settings.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I think I read somewhere that the resolution is tied to your desktop resolution. So whatever your desktop res is, that will be the resolution that displays in-game. It's a pretty weird way of doing it.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vitor

@MattyFTM said:

I think I read somewhere that the resolution is tied to your desktop resolution. So whatever your desktop res is, that will be the resolution that displays in-game. It's a pretty weird way of doing it.

Hadn't heard anything like that until now - weird but I guess that works. Thanks for the info!

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tim_the_corsair

@Vitor:

Wasn't bagging you or your question, just idiots giving PC users like ourselves a bad name by referring to this minor issue as a "goddamn crime against PC gamers".

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TobbRobb

I'm pretty sure it goes for your screens native res, Mine definitley was 1920x1080. Still I would also like the option just in case.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Tim_the_Corsair said:
     it's an Indy game made by a small staff missing a minor option. Perspective.
    His critique is fair enough, just because they are a indie dev steam doesn't mean they get a free pass.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vitor

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Vitor:

Wasn't bagging you or your question, just idiots giving PC users like ourselves a bad name by referring to this minor issue as a "goddamn crime against PC gamers".

My bad, sorry to have assumed the worst! Still, pretty sure every response to this thread up until that point had been sarcastic though so you can see why I jumped to that conclusion...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Animasta

for all the people saying "well it's just an indie game" uh, that doesn't mean you get a pass on not including resolution options. There's a bunch of indie games that I own that do include resolution options, especially ones less popular/well-received as Limbo.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Rhaknar

the holocaust has nothing on Limbo not having resolution options, CLEARLY this is a crime against humanity... goddamn creepy black and white kids

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By fripplebubby

Check the game's install directory, there might be a config file in which you could manually change the resolution. Optionally, if there's a button on your monitor that shows it's resolution, hit that while the game is running to see if it changed. Not all monitors have that, though. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King

You can set the launch options through Steam. That's what I do with most games: tell it to launch in windowed mode, then dick around with the resolutions some more if I have to.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Video_Game_King said:
    You can set the launch options through Steam. That's what I do with most games: tell it to launch in windowed mode, then dick around with the resolutions some more if I have to.
    I... don't understand.

Why wouldn't you just run the game, and, if it's not displaying at the correct resolution, change it?

Could you explain the reasoning behind opening it in windowed mode? I hear something similar to this regularly, and have yet to see the benefit.
    Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dread612

The lack of screen resolution adjustment /  window mode is just silly. Also you can't customize the keyboard controls. What to press space to jump, nope sorry, press up. The devs had a year to work on this game and add these basic features while they waited for the exclusivity deal with MS to expire. They chose not to. Therefore I'll choose to be more wary of this developer in the future. 

So what the big deal? Well because I can't lower the resolution or go into window mode to try to get the framerate up on my laptop I can't play it there. Lets face it, this could have been a flash game, which is fine, nothing wrong with that, but flash games usually don't cost $10 and I can play them in a window.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @GetEveryone

First, I only change the resolution after I've started the game up in windowed mode. Perhaps I don't want something that takes up about 80% of the screen. But why windowed mode? Well, I like to take notes on the games I play, so being able to switch from the game to Excel without my computer freaking out is definitely a plus. Besides, it allows me to minimize the game and, if necessary, look up hints or play some Mystic Ark while I'm using the Gravity Gun to create a Combine orgy.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Video_Game_King said:
    @GetEveryone

First, I only change the resolution after I've started the game up in windowed mode. Perhaps I don't want something that takes up about 80% of the screen. But why windowed mode? Well, I like to take notes on the games I play, so being able to switch from the game to Excel without my computer freaking out is definitely a plus. Besides, it allows me to minimize the game and, if necessary, look up hints or play some Mystic Ark while I'm using the Gravity Gun to create a Combine orgy.
    I guess I just take being able to alt+tab at will for granted. Thanks for the response, mate.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @GetEveryone

Is that the universal "go to windowed mode" shortcut? I prefer the launch option thing.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox

Ha. They just don't want me to buy it do they? The "indie" bullshit is no excuse.

@Video_Game_King said:

@GetEveryone: Is that the universal "go to windowed mode" shortcut? I prefer the launch option thing.

No, That would be ALT+ENTER or F11, depending on the game. ALT+TAB is how you switch between programs without clicking on the taskbar. Super handy for fullscreen games where taskbar is covered.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AlexW00d

The people attributing it to it being an indie game clearly haven't played many indie games. I don't know a single one that doesn't have this option.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By ajamafalous

@AlexW00d said:

The people attributing it to it being an indie game clearly haven't played many indie games. I don't know a single one that doesn't have this option.

This. And I have quite a few indie games.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By octaslash
    @Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Vitor:

I'm sure our (PC gamer's) enemies will quote and use my obvious hyperbole against us in this bitter war.   

Also, being an indie game is no excuse for this nonsense. I just played most of the Humble Indie Bundle and so far, I haven't had a problem like this. I probably should have just bought the 360 version while it was on sale.
    niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By niall_sg1
    @Dread612 said:
    The lack of screen resolution adjustment /  window mode is just silly. Also you can't customize the keyboard controls. What to press space to jump, nope sorry, press up. The devs had a year to work on this game and add these basic features while they waited for the exclusivity deal with MS to expire. They chose not to. Therefore I'll choose to be more wary of this developer in the future.   So what the big deal? Well because I can't lower the resolution or go into window mode to try to get the framerate up on my laptop I can't play it there. Lets face it, this could have been a flash game, which is fine, nothing wrong with that, but flash games usually don't cost $10 and I can play them in a window.
    have you tried using the -windowed launch option in steam? 
    Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dread612

The developers released an update today on Steam:

- A crash bug caused by custom DPI setting in windows has been fixed
    - Controller detection has been improved
    - Option to change resolution and windowed mode added to settings.txt

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2047244

Finally, was that so freaking hard? They had a year while they waited for their exclusivity deal with MS to expire to add such a basic setting, sigh...... Regardless, of course I already played through it so it doesn't matter anymore.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I beat the game this morning and i didn't even notice the resolution.. i guess it was good for my 1680x1050 monitor!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.