Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LittleBigPlanet 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jan 18, 2011

LittleBigPlanet 2 expands the creation tools introduced in the first game, allowing user levels to diverge even more from the base gameplay. It also features a new story mode.

LittleBigPlanet 2 Trailer Makes Me Want To Cry

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

OH MY FUCKING GOODNESS! It's official guys. It's happening. Remember LittleBigPlanet - well it's back. But it's better -- note the racing, the puzzling and the bit where the Bee fucking flies through a tunnel and the whole screen twists into a Space Invaders-style shooter.

My only regret is that Sony didn't keep this secret and dropped this trailer during E3. That would have been a megaton but, oh well. Still amazing.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EvilTwin

It's a well made trailer.  Unfortunately, it still does nothing for me.

RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RoujinX

Oh God. Another game I'm probably gonna regret buying...(sob)...
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By get2sammyb
    @RoujinX said:

" Oh God. Another game I'm probably gonna regret buying...(sob)... "

Curious: Why will you regret it?

Also: massive Eurogamer preview through here. Tells you everything you want to know.
    Marmaladebrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Marmaladebrat

I liked the first one. I never finished all the levels that came with the game, but did spend plenty of time with user made levels.  

I wish that making the levels was easier for me. I have not heard if Media Molecule has made level creation any easier in LBP2. I wonder if they will do that. It seems like ModNation racers has a much easier level creation system. 

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

sick.

sikila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sikila

This looks like everything i need for my PS3 for a loooong time. Really hope theres gonna be a Beta for this.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Rhaknar
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @RoujinX said:

" Oh God. Another game I'm probably gonna regret buying...(sob)... "

Curious: Why will you regret it?

Also: massive Eurogamer preview through here. Tells you everything you want to know. "
    i also regreted buying the first LBP, it looked amazing, but in the end it was just a mediocre platformer (in my opinion of course), with a amazing level creator. This looks like what I hoped the first game would be, we'll see.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Marmaladebrat said:
    " I liked the first one. I never finished all the levels that came with the game, but did spend plenty of time with user made levels.   I wish that making the levels was easier for me. I have not heard if Media Molecule has made level creation any easier in LBP2. I wonder if they will do that. It seems like ModNation racers has a much easier level creation system.   "
    It's also a lot more limited though. I understand why people found creating levels difficult (I did myself), but it was always going to be marginally complex to offer the kind of experiences people were able to create. People who spent the time with it were always going to make better levels. That was obvious.

It does sound like they are streamlining things with this game though. Even though they're adding tons extra.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By GunstarRed

I remember when MM said a sequel would be "counterproductive"   

About 1.5  of those 2 million  levels are "WHOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA POINTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"   or completely broken levels.

It's hard not to be intrigued by all of the new features despite not getting on with the first game at all, especially the incredibly frustrating single player (damn you wheel of death!!).. I really hope theyve fixed a lot of the online problems I loaded up the game the other week to find out LBP STILL doesn't let you see who has finished your levels... thats provided your save data hasn't been corrupt yet... all my progress in the main game had been lost... for a fourth time (and I know it's not only me that has had this problem) 

The new features look great and  the platform tweaking seems like it could go a long way to fixing my views on the game but they need to sort out how  the online stuff works... I got incredibly frustrated bulding levels for hours upon hours only for them to be buried by trophy levels.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne

If this features a programming language that is even half as good as WarioWare: DIY's, it could be epic.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Sony must have some pretty amazing stuff in store for us at E3 if they're putting this out beforehand.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Steve_C

I just watched the trailer and it made me so happy. So excited.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By get2sammyb
    @marioncobretti said:

"

I remember when MM said a sequel would be "counterproductive"   

About 1.5  of those 2 million  levels are "WHOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA POINTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"   or completely broken levels.

It's hard not to be intrigued by all of the new features despite not getting on with the first game at all, especially the incredibly frustrating single player (damn you wheel of death!!).. I really hope theyve fixed a lot of the online problems I loaded up the game the other week to find out LBP STILL doesn't let you see who has finished your levels... thats provided your save data hasn't been corrupt yet... all my progress in the main game had been lost... for a fourth time (and I know it's not only me that has had this problem) 

The new features look great and  the platform tweaking seems like it could go a long way to fixing my views on the game but they need to sort out how  the online stuff works... I got incredibly frustrated bulding levels for hours upon hours only for them to be buried by trophy levels.

"
    By your logic there are 500,000 amazing levels in LittleBigPlanet. I think that's a very good return, and probably a reasonable estimate, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there. They've stated they're doing a full sequel because they want to bring in all these features in one-chunk, where they'd have to drip-feed DLC releases. They're also porting across all levels (even your unlocked goodies) so it's totally not going to be counter productive, even though they said that some time back.

Sorry to hear about your saves, but you have to assume they'll be improving all the things you mentioned.

@Meowayne said:
    " If this features a programming language that is even half as good as WarioWare: DIY's, it could be epic.   "
    Sackbots allow you to programme complex AI into non-playable characters, something the original game was totally missing.
    s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By s-a-n-JR
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By get2sammyb
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By eroticfishcake

I wanted to like the first one but it felt fairly limited to me. Since they're expanding the tools and everything on this I'm really looking foward to this.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Ghostiet

Holy shit. That made a tear in my eye, too.

I'm amazed, so far. I found the first LBP to be frustrating with its controls at points and I'm not much of a creator, but this is one of the few games that gave me a constant happy face even when I fucked up The Bunker the tenth time in a row.

Also, knowing how much amazing shit people did with a "simple" level creator (hell, the inclusion of just water made for some great ideas), I can't wait what they'll do with something so expanded.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EVO

Fuck me, that gave me goosebumps.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By penguindust

I wasn't a fan of the first one, but this looks much better thanks to a de-emphasis on platforming.  I know the community got around that eventually, but these tools look more open than the last so I am interested in seeing what can be done with them.  And, I wonder how long before there is an RPG toolset developed for the game.  RPGs are probably the hardest things to build, but as Neverwinter Nights showed, with the right tools, good content can be made.  LPB-2 is now on my radar.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By AlwaysAngry

This is looking AMAZING! 

Did you see that racing level!? The first LBP is still in my top 5 favorite games of all time, and I think LBP2 can replace it!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By get2sammyb

I've just typed this up for PushSquare in case anyone's interested:

• There’s a new story tying Sackboy’s adventures in previous games into LittleBigPlanet 2. As detailed on LittleBigPlanet 2’s official website, here’s what’s up:
      • “Happy that no more demands are being made to him after his successful adventure to return sharing to LittleBigPlanet, it’s all going swimmingly for Sackboy… That is, until a some kind of inter-dimensional, hyper-spatial, 1800 watt Vacuum Cleaner appears in the skies, causing quite the ruckus and sucking Sackboy up into its musty bowels. All jolly sinister and most inconvenient. Happily, a jolly nice fellow named Larry Da Vinci intervenes and rescues him from what has come to be known as The Sucker. Da Vinci, it turns out, is in charge of “The Alliance”, a semi-secret, semi-organised group devoted to fighting The Sucker before it destroys the whole Cosmos.”
    • All original 2 million levels created from the original LittleBigPlanet will be ported across into LittleBigPlanet 2. They will even be up-scaled thanks to Media Molecule’s fancy, erm, upscaling technology. This also confirms that LittleBigPlanet 2 will be getting a significant graphics boost. Collected objects, stickers and the like will also find themselves shifted across into the new game. You’ll lose nothing.
    • A new webpage launched alongside LittleBigPlanet 2 will give every creator and level a space on the Internet so that content can be efficiently shared online. Any levels you find to take your fancy can be added to a “Play Queue”, allowing you to easily access them next time you play the game. It’s sounding like this functionality will carry across into other third-party applications too – with Firefox add-ons and iPhone apps all being touted.
    • Navigation within the game will also be easier, thanks to a new Twitter-esque feed stream allowing you to easily dissect the content that’s proving most popular within the game. Media Molecule will also be highlighting popular content here, by updating your streams with levels and creations they’ve found interesting. It’ll finally mean there’s a platform of “buzz” within the game, making stuff so much easier to find.
    • The game will feature improved lighting and textures, but will maintain a familiar aesthetic.
    • The new grapple hook is designed to be an “extension of the grab mechanic”. It is activated with a deft press of one of the PS3’s shoulder buttons, and allows Sackboy to grab on to far away platforms and/or swing across hazardous pits.
    • Spring pads are also new, allowing perfect Sonic the Hedgehog recreations, and of course, opening the door for that long wished for LBP pinball simulator.
    • Sackbots solve the problem of NPCs from the original game. Instead of using piles upon piles of mechanical pieces to create animated characters  – which will still be possible – Media Molecule have included Sackbots. These can be assigned AI and animation behaviours, which will come in useful in LittleBigPlanet’s new “cinematics” feature. The cinematics feature will allow you to create complete cut-scenes within your levels. Cinematics will be enhanced by improved camera angle tools and new voice acting options.
    • Microchips also make the construction of complex elements a bit simpler. Instead of requiring piles of different magnetic and flip switches, you’ll be able to simply place a Microchip including all the logic required to make things in your level operate. The emphasis is on making the game easier for casual players, but providing greater depth for experienced players. Interestingly Microchips can be shared with the community, meaning if you’ve developed a complex boss routine, you’ll be able to share it with the community.
    • Direct control is probably the biggest new feature implemented into LittleBigPlanet 2. It’s the fundamental difference between LittleBigPlanet and its sequel: a function which allows players to create games instead of platform levels. A bit similar to the Microchip, the Direct Control Seat allows players to remap the commands of the DualShock controller. It’s genius: take the example of a car – in the original LBP you had to program a switch to control acceleration of said vehicle. Now you can map the object’s acceleration to the R2 button. Racing game designed.
    • New publishing features will allow creators to string multiple levels together in LittleBigPlanet 2, essentially enabling the creation of an entire game, rather than singular levels.
    • Neon stickers will allow you to attach stick-on HUDs to your levels, increasing the potential for cross-genre creations such as RTS games and old-school shooters.
    • New camera functionality allows you to lock the camera directly behind Sackboy, enabling the creation of arena shooters, pinball games, and much, much more.
    • Sackboy will no longer be floaty – unless you want him to be. The inclusion of new movement control will allow you to tweak all aspects of Sackboy’s movement, including the way in which he sticks to his surroundings. Super Mario and MegaMan control mechanics confirmed.
    • LittleBigPlanet 2 will support mouse and keyboard functionality in its Create mode, as well as limited Playstation Move features. Full Playstation Move support will be included later in development.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gike987

That trailer was seriously the best trailer I have ever seen. If the is as awesome as the trailer it will definitely be my GOTY.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ryax

looks awesome. cant wait to get it. does anyone know what song that was, ive heard it before but i forgot the name

Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Spoonybard37
    @Ryax:  Its sleepyhead by passion pit
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ryax
    @Spoonybard37 said:
    " @Ryax:  Its sleepyhead by passion pit "
    thank you
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

As long as the included game is good (unlike the first, imo) then okay, this is exciting. If they expect users to make all the good stuff (ie, good platforming physics and what not) then no thank you, I might as well play Garry's Mod, otherwise I don't tend to buy games for their mod possibilities alone. But I suppose considering it's a home console game, then that's a good step in the right direction, and maybe more companies will allow mods for console games, which is a good way to add value to a product (but again, not if the product itself isn't worth it). Well that's how I see it. The trailer's certainly making it look promising.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " As long as the included game is good (unlike the first, imo) then okay, this is exciting. If they expect users to make all the good stuff (ie, good platforming physics and what not) then no thank you, I might as well play Garry's Mod, otherwise I don't tend to buy games for their mod possibilities alone. But I suppose considering it's a home console game, then that's a good step in the right direction, and maybe more companies will allow mods for console games, which is a good way to add value to a product (but again, not if the product itself isn't worth it). Well that's how I see it. The trailer's certainly promising. "
    This post is full of PC elitism.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r

Huh? If you don't think modable (at least in more than custom levels, which is also not that common) console games are rare, then you're simply wrong. This can be a good step for consoles to also start having modable games (but, UT3 could have been that start also), I fail to see how saying that is PC elitism.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Willy105

I don't care what the haters say, I think this game looks awesome.

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Andheez

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice.......You don't fool me twice..... nice try LBP.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@EVO said:
    " Fuck me, that gave me goosebumps. "
    Dude same here, looks fucking great.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Venatio

That...was pretty awesome, I want it

Seraphim2150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#34  Edited By Seraphim2150

Perfect trailer!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35  Edited By KaosAngel

THANK YOU GOD ALL MIGHTY! 

I LOVED THE FUCK OUT OF LBP AND BOUGHT EVERY DLC!  I EVEN OWN A COPY THAT ISN'T CENSORED!  

THANK YOU SONY AND PLEASE MAKE IT 2010!  PLEASE!

STARCRAFT 2 AND LBP2 GOTY!

EDIT:  HOLY FUCKING SHIT, WE CAN MAKE DOTA IN LBP2!

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By dbz1995

Fantastic.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Gabriel
    They got to fix the jumping and make the barrier for entry to making shit way lower, I just didn't want to spend the time fucking around with all the stuff you had to do to make a decent level (My level "The Forgotten City, should still be up their word of advice though it's hard.) 

@creamypies
    said:  

" Sony must have some pretty amazing stuff in store for us at E3 if they're putting this out beforehand. 

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Warfare

Oh shit ! :)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Gabriel: They have fixed the jumping.

@Andheez: Your loss, friend.

More generally, I still don't understand why people seemingly assume the creation parts should be easy (life lesson: the harder you work the better the end product generally), but for those concerned about that Media Molecules said in multiple interviews across the net that they're aiming to make LBP a bit simpler for people coming into it, but they're adding much more depth for those who are super hardcore creators.

Naturally, you can't expect a five minute level to come out as good as someone who spends five weeks on it. The fact that those amazing creators are there though strengthens the overall package for those of us like me who kind just wants to play shit.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_A_Drain

Two words and an expletive. 

Turin Fucking Complete. 

I am literally salivating.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By Xeiphyer

MAN! I can't wait. I really hope they fixed the problems with the first game, and if they didn't at least I can make non-platformer levels. =P

I hated how the level editor had terrible bugs in it, and it was very unweildly.

Siepher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Siepher
    @EVO said:
    " Fuck me, that gave me goosebumps. "
    fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By fugie7

alright  i am excited about it. glad they are going to make a second one.  cant wait.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By get2sammyb
    @dudeglove said:

" The question is, were most of those 2 million levels any good? "

Yes.

But do the maths - if only 1% of the 2 million levels were good thats still (oh I hope I've got this right) 20,000 levels that were amazing. 20,000 amazing levels is more than you could ever have time to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.