Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mac

Platform »

The Macintosh (Mac) line of personal computers is designed and developed by Apple, Inc. - formerly Apple Computer, Inc. It runs macOS, a Unix operating system. Its current version, macOS 13.4 "Ventura" was released on May 18, 2023.

Steam, Portal 2 Coming To Mac

Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Nintendude

Hell yea, I use my MacBook as my Gaming PC and this will lower quite a lot of Boot Camp reboots. Now if only the Steam version of Aion would support Mac some day I would be really pleased.

Jais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Jais

Valve, I want your babies. And Gabe.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Djeffers03

yes!

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By Tuggah

Why not linux? :(

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Awesome, I've got a mac on the way, totally awesome timing Valve!

I love you guys, now EP3?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Nintendude said:
    " Hell yea, I use my MacBook as my Gaming PC and this will lower quite a lot of Boot Camp reboots. Now if only the Steam version of Aion would support Mac some day I would be really pleased. "
    I use Bootcamp. I never use OS X, Leopard mostly because its useless for anything other than video editing. I would like to point out that I never chose to have a MacBook andI believe Apple is the most evil organisation since the Nazis.
    Red_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Red_Dragon

This is great news. Im using Crossover right now to play Portal and Half Life 2. But having steam on the Mac will be ace. I don't even need to re-buy my games. Just hope they have enough 3rd party games coming to it.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#58  Edited By Brackynews
    @august said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    "  the ability to play on Mac after buying a Windows version of the game.   Wait, so all Windows games on Steam will work on OS X?  "
    No. Only if there's a mac version, and I'm guessing it'll be on a one-game basis depending on the developer/publisher. "
    August is right, at the moment it's only the Source engine that is creating a dual-platform build with each compile, according to the Portal 2 devs.  That's a significant step though.  I'm not sure if developers even have that ability for PC and 360 kits right now...?  Who knew that Apple going Intel would actually come to this point?  Must've been a hell of a lot of work for Valve.  BTW, here's my wallet. :-)
    acev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By acev

Daaaamn, that's cool 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#60  Edited By LordAndrew

A number of games on Steam have Mac versions already. As long as the publishers decide to make the Mac versions available, Steam should start with a decent lineup of Mac games.

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By blackbeard

FUCK YES!!!!!!!!

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By Darkstar614

Valve is so crazy awesome. I'm not even a fan of Macs really, but this is great news.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By TheHBK

Well it just hit me that probably the reason this didn't happen sooner, was Apple's reluctance to give game companies more freedom in putting games on the Mac unless Apple could have something for games like it does on the iPhone, where it controls what games get put out there.  Or like music and iTunes.  They probably wanted to have their own distribution service like Steam.  iGame?  But they figured it was not gonna happen, gamers are not the ones who buy up their music or games and bow down to their control.  Might as well let an established service come in and work with them because getting gaming to work well at all is probably what they should worry about.  Guess they finally got it.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By handlas

sounds good.  I don't play on my PC anymore but I have steam games still.  Now I can play on my mac whenever I want.  Yippie!

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MisterMouse

So excited! It will start with the valve titles and then expand in to more quality titles.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By LordAndrew
    @TheHBK: No one controls the release of Mac software. But Apple doesn't promote Mac gaming the same way Microsoft tries to promote Windows gaming. Games do get released for the Mac, but people don't pay much attention to them. With Steam coming to the Mac that could certainly change, but Apple is still doing absolutely nothing to help.
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By TomA

i just want portal 

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#68  Edited By KamasamaK
    @LordAndrew said:

" @NickL: My understanding is that Xbox 360 development is easier for PC developers to make games for than the PlayStation 3, so PC developers are more likely to make games for that platform. The same thing happened with the original Xbox; PC games were more likely to be ported to the Xbox than to the PS2. "

That seems most likely, and Xbox basically was a PC. But it seems the "tier-1" status is mainly for their initial releases considering the lackluster DLC support. The relative ease of porting and history of better sales would suggest a better return on Xbox 360 than PlayStation 3, but I have to wonder why they would forgo any potential profit in developing a PS3 version of their games. They certainly have enough money to pay for it up front, and most other companies wouldn't continue releasing for PS3 if there wasn't sufficient return; Valve products would likely sell better than those others too considering the quality.
    Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Dante_the_Jedi

Yawn, I don't care. I have a Mac but Still don't care. It is good for all the people that just have a Mac, but with a Mac I can't get a new CPU or GPU any time I want and that is why I have a PC. But really go Valve it always better for more people to game.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ThomasP

It's definitely a good way for Apple to break into another aspect of the gaming industry. They've had a great start in the portable market. With an easy plug-in to the casual market and a die-hard fan base, Apple could soon become a serious player. Sounds a little too familiar.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71  Edited By PJ

Wow, Valve REALLY doesn't like the PS3. I can't say I find it strange though. They where a PC only dev. for a long time and the 360 and PC achitecture is almost if not completly identical so its not a big leap.
    Hopefully Sony can make a dev. friendly platform next time around, the PS2 was also a paint in the ass if I remember correctly but I guess when you have 120million+ concoles out there ppl are willing to learn to make games for it.

Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#72  Edited By Korne

I'm not a huge Mac fan... but I respect the decision Valve is making to make their games available to the platform.  

Now, why do they have so much bad blood towards the PS3? Did Sony do something? Valve pretty much said, "F that" and let EA port the Orange Box, and now they have publically stated how they hate the PS3 infrastructure and won't be developing for it. Did they even try?
    Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Teirdome

I'm kinda shocked that Apple is allowing this into their extremely closed ecosystem.  It's un-appley.

I'm also a bit concerned that it's going to drive up the prices of the PC titles to fork some extra cash over to Apple.  I can't fathom Apple allowing people to digitally download titles without taking some kind of kickback.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Cheapoz

If I may get "sensational" for moment, note that Valve considers the Mac to be "tier-1" but not the PlayStation 3. Burn?    

Oh come on Jeff, don't you know how to collect hits like a real gaming news site? This should've been the headline!
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Manatassi
    @LordAndrew said:

" @TheHBK: No one controls the release of Mac software. But Apple doesn't promote Mac gaming the same way Microsoft tries to promote Windows gaming. Games do get released for the Mac, but people don't pay much attention to them. With Steam coming to the Mac that could certainly change, but Apple is still doing absolutely nothing to help. "

Actually that old "apple doesn't promote gaming like windows does" is a load of crap. Back in the 90s there was a consensus that apple wasn't accommodating the games insdustry with their chip architecture and their design which was true many years ago. However that old line hasn't been true since the release of OSX. Its simply taking the games industry time to change. Microsoft has never actually provided the support that was promised back in the 90s that games developers expected but they simply became the default platform for development. Now that the Mac platform is accounting for a larger and larger percentage of the market year over year making inroads into the PC share things are changing.  

Apple provide the largest mobile PC platform out there at this point and with the popularity of the iPhone and iPod Touch pushing more and more people toward using a Mac the chunk of users buying a Macbook an iPhone and a console to play games is increasing rapidly. Making not supporting the Mac a foolish decision for any developer at this point, especially as Piracy is actually less common on the Mac than on Windows platforms. Valve are simply realising what Blizzard have known for years, supporting the PC and not the Mac is like developing a game for the 360 and not the PS3 you will get less sales. Well actually Valve dont seem to consider the PS3 a particularly viable platform but you get the analogy :)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5865c6a5c9438
    deactivated-5865c6a5c9438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sounds awesome.

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By blackbeard
    @Teirdome said:
    " I'm kinda shocked that Apple is allowing this into their extremely closed ecosystem.  It's un-appley.  I'm also a bit concerned that it's going to drive up the prices of the PC titles to fork some extra cash over to Apple.  I can't fathom Apple allowing people to digitally download titles without taking some kind of kickback. "
    Apple has no say over who writes software on their platform. I get really sick of hearing the conspiracy theories. If I wanted to make a game on a Mac Apple cant stop me, just like they would not be able to stop Valve. Valve sees a business opening and is exploring it. And I will support them because I think this is awesome. It has nothing to do with Apple aside from the fact the Apple hasn't done anything to bring games to their desktop platform. Valve is, at that is awesome. 

Apple may be a closed company, but that doesn't mean they can stop anyone from doing anything. Cell phones are a different situation because the Cell networks are also closed and what you can do on a cell network has always been controlled by ATT/Verizon... not Apple. I am actually surprised Apple was able to get the phone companies to open up a little bit. Before the iPhone almost no one could just write an app for the phone the would be allowed on a cell network.
    SaltyJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SaltyJack

The one thing that irked me about moving to Mac is now being melted away by Valve. Fantastic!

jakeroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#79  Edited By jakeroc

But...how will they alt fire!?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Manatassi: Architecture means nothing if you can't convince people to develop games for that architecture. Yes, people do it. But Windows is still seen as a much safer bet for PC game development.

If a developer is concerned about piracy, what they're really concerned about is profit. And profit is more likely to be had with Windows games. If a developer wants to take a risk and develop games for the Mac, great! I encourage more developers to do so. But when looking at profits, which is what most developers will do, Mac simply doesn't have the profit potential that Windows does.
    Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#81  Edited By ApertureSilence

Speaking as a Mac owner...

No Caption Provided
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Manatassi
    @LordAndrew said:
    " @Manatassi: Architecture means nothing if you can't convince people to develop games for that architecture. Yes, people do it. But Windows is still seen as a much safer bet for PC game development.  If a developer is concerned about piracy, what they're really concerned about is profit. And profit is more likely to be had with Windows games. If a developer wants to take a risk and develop games for the Mac, great! I encourage more developers to do so. But when looking at profits, which is what most developers will do, Mac simply doesn't have the profit potential that Windows does. "
    Eh? I think you replied to the wrong person or something. that doesn't have much to do with what I actually said...  

Nope you either didn't read it or misunderstood something cos that don't make sense as a reply :P
    Downandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Downandout
    @Jaconius: Ctrl + click obvs! faster than right clicking I hear.
    growl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By growl

notice how they don't say anything about the back catalogue being mac supported

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Manatassi: A little bit of both. I started off replying to you, and then it turned into a nonsensical rant about something else.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Willy105

The Mac can play games now!?!

All it needs to fix is the price and Windows will have trouble.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By august
    @Korne said:
    " I'm not a huge Mac fan... but I respect the decision Valve is making to make their games available to the platform.   Now, why do they have so much bad blood towards the PS3? Did Sony do something? Valve pretty much said, "F that" and let EA port the Orange Box, and now they have publically stated how they hate the PS3 infrastructure and won't be developing for it. Did they even try? "
    You should e-mail them and tell them to "try" harder. I'm sure that will speed things along.
    yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#88  Edited By yevinorion

This is excellent news. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Valve is now my favorite company in the world :)

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Cheetoman

grats to the mac users, hope this is one step into making a lot of other programs usable on a mac and vice versa

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Manatassi
    @Jaconius said:
    " But...how will they alt fire!? "
    Serioulsy? 

SERIOUSLY?  

Do PC users really still hold to these old old OLD stereotypes? 

Just for the record I have used Macs since 2005 and NEVER had a mouse that has a single button.  
    The mighty mouse was crap for games admittedly, well hows about you don't buy a mouse NOT DESIGNED FOR GAMES???  Most cheap PC mice are shoddy and crap to game with as-well.

Gah *sigh*  

Personally I like Logitech mice but thats just my preference. Yes PC users I can use a USB mouse. Macs do support USB mice and Bluetooth.  

If yer gonna take the piss at least have a clue what you are talking about before trying eh?
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By amir90
    @Willy105 said:
    " The Mac can play games now!?!  All it needs to fix is the price and Windows will have trouble. "
    They have always had the ability to play games, just through boot camp, now they can play a lot more games independelty from windows.
    iToastage_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By iToastage_FM

well done valve, now the two biggest players in pc gaming are day and day releasing their titles on mac and pc, and, speaking as a mac owner, i'm overjoyed. 

furthermore I really hope the larger publishers start to support the platform (ea et al), but i really cant see the mac really taking off as a gaming thing, especially when i think of the indie scene. 

now i'm off to upgrade my graphi........ oh.........and that as well

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#94  Edited By TheHBK
    @LordAndrew: exactly, no one controls the release of software on the Mac, but its not secret that Apple would like to.  They want it to be as closed as possible, and they were probably looking into going with something like Steam.  Valve does control what goes on steam, they make deals and people come to them with games to put on there.  Apple would love to have something like that, but Steam takes a lot of the work out of it and it is a proven platform.
    jakeroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By jakeroc
    @Manatassi: My obvious sarcasm was not sufficiently transferred through the internets, my apologies. On a related note, since I'm in the market for a laptop, this essentially solidifies the purchase of a MacBook pro in my mind. Oh, and I haven't used a Mac since I was 8 playing Oregon Trail. I assume they've improved since then?
    Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

that is a burn. and its really lame. if anything valve should want to support the ps3 over the mac since valve has had their roots in MS ever since they started. and sony does business with MS(im typing this on a vaio lol) WTF? im not freaking out. its just a weird choice. but then again, i dont make millions on video games like valve does.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#97  Edited By JoelTGM

Volgin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Volgin13

I AM SO FRIGGIN EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ratfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Ratfoot

I have a Wii.

shadowcomplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By shadowcomplex
    @Downandout said:
    " @Jaconius: Ctrl + click obvs! faster than right clicking I hear. "
    you herd wrong!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.