Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia II

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

Play as Vito Scaletta and rise up through the ranks of the criminal underworld of Empire Bay in Mafia II, the sequel to the 2002 sandbox-style hit.

Mafia II DLC Jimmy's Vendetta Dated And Detailed

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

A second Mafia II downloadable content pack filled with additional quests is launching on September 7 for the Xbox 360 and PS3, according to a 2K Games press release blasted this morning. And like in the first bit of content--which was a PS3 exclusive included with new copies of the game--you'll be in control of a man named Jimmy, a bold and bald killer who handles the mob's dirtiest dirty work.

How dirty? 2K Games isn't getting into specifics about the DLC's 30 fresh missions, but do expect to partake in a couple of assassinations and a couple of timed vehicle pursuits which end in a few shoot-outs and at least one car chase. As a bonus, the scores you put up while doing these exciting things will be recorded in the DLC's online leaderboards. 

No Caption Provided

The DLC will be available for 10 bucks or 800 Microsoft Banana Bones. As with the first bit of DLC, it appears as if Jimmy's Vendetta won't have any connection to the main game's storyline. It will, however, have a connection to Betrayal of Jimmy, if the new DLC's name is a good indicator of such things. 

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

A second Mafia II downloadable content pack filled with additional quests is launching on September 7 for the Xbox 360 and PS3, according to a 2K Games press release blasted this morning. And like in the first bit of content--which was a PS3 exclusive included with new copies of the game--you'll be in control of a man named Jimmy, a bold and bald killer who handles the mob's dirtiest dirty work.

How dirty? 2K Games isn't getting into specifics about the DLC's 30 fresh missions, but do expect to partake in a couple of assassinations and a couple of timed vehicle pursuits which end in a few shoot-outs and at least one car chase. As a bonus, the scores you put up while doing these exciting things will be recorded in the DLC's online leaderboards. 

No Caption Provided

The DLC will be available for 10 bucks or 800 Microsoft Banana Bones. As with the first bit of DLC, it appears as if Jimmy's Vendetta won't have any connection to the main game's storyline. It will, however, have a connection to Betrayal of Jimmy, if the new DLC's name is a good indicator of such things. 

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vitor

Wonder if the original Jimmy tale will make it to the PC and 360 or if Sony's exclusive was more than just timed?

dr_eiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dr_eiff

w00 t
    Refugee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Refugee

So this is a continuation of a story that is available on both platforms, but the first part of the story is only arbitrarily available on one platform? 

Because that's a bit silly. Especially as I assume the first part will be on XBL some day.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Goldanas

It seems interesting that their making the open world part of the game tied to another character. It's certainly reasonable as the main protagonist certainly would participate in anything quite as outlandish as this. It's a smart move; I just wish it was made before they released the game and decided to charge me extra for what should have already been included in the package. 

I like this article: simple, sweet, and no extra padding.  

Very well written.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By foggel

Blasting the Tommy Gun at that bar was a lot of fun... I'm hoping for more of that in here.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By The_Philosopher

It always rubs me the wrong way when DLC is announced this early after the a game comes out. I like DLC but they should at least wait a couple of months. It's barely been two weeks.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By SumDeus

Aw man I just don't have it in me to sell the game back to Gamestop. I've beaten it twice and gotten all the mags so I figured I'd just get a decent amount back for selling it this quick...but this looks good...damn good.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By DougQuaid

I wonder what the actual shooting to driving/cut scene ratio will be in this...

thomasonfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thomasonfa

That was quick. I wonder should that stuff already should be in the game. Que the conspiracy. 

Avatar image for jimmytheexploder
    JimmyTheExploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JimmyTheExploder

If they are releasing DLC already then this should have just been included in the game. Im fed up of developers deliberately planning for DLC. You shouldnt plan to make DLC. You should make the best game you can possibly make and then if some time in the future your fans want more you release a sequel or an expansion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through the game and I am now wondering who the hell this Jimmy dude is...

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Nomin

This trend of releasing DLC just a week or two after release has to stop NOW. They planned this well into the development phase and cut content from the game just for the sake of irresponsible money grab, and the game has become that much mediocre for it. If they spent the time and effort not in reorganizing and cutting features but instead on improving the full game experience out of the box, they would have sold more games and at least break even. From where we stand now, Mafia II is not even going to recoup dev costs, considering 6 years of time.
    Avatar image for jimmytheexploder
    JimmyTheExploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JimmyTheExploder
    @Nomin:  Agree 100%
    jaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jaks

Oh, so I have to pay extra money for the open world parts of this open world game I already paid for? No thanks, 2K. I'm getting a little tired of getting boned by you guys already. 

Oh, and I never really bought Mafia 2 since I knew this bullshit was going to happen.

NemoDat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By NemoDat

The first half of the year was packed with unbelievable games. So far, the second half of the year, with games like this and Kayne & Lynch 2, makes me sad.

617_jbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 617_jbug

Thought this was a Sony exclusive?

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By jonnyboy

Guess no S-rank for me then.

RaphTheKidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RaphTheKidd

He's like hitman but in the 50s and 60s haha :D

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By fugie7

i better go get some points for this then.

Charlee_CoCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Charlee_CoCo

Why is it that so many people are so ignorant, uniformed, or just plain stupid when it comes to discussing DLC? Every single time DLC is released the week of or close to the release of a game people flip out and lose their shit about it. The same exact points come up every time too, "This should've been included in the game." or "They should've released this later." or "They intentionally cut this so it could be DLC." or whatever BS it is that some random moron on what random post is always spouting about DLC.

Remember back when Dragon Age: Origins came out and there were a number of people that ended up being a bunch of whiney ass cry babies over the fact that it had DLC on day one?  They didn't care that there was perfectly good reason for it, and that EA/Bioware wasn't actually trying to screw them over, but rather formed their own opinions about what exactly happened in regards to the day one DLC because as we all know the masses of gamers out there are completely rational.

The reason why their was DLC day one for DA:O was because the PC team finished the game long before the console team finished the console ports of the game and so the PC started working on Warden's Keep, Shale, and various other things for DA:O, but none of those things were finished when the main game was finished and sent off, however they were completed before the game hit store shelves and so those elements were able to be DLC on day one of the game's release. Bioware in the time since has continued to make DLC packs for DA, as well as an expansion, and a full on sequel too. They (like alot of companies) don't have some sort of elaborate scheme to screw people over via DLC like so many people think devs and publishers are doing to them.

The developers and publishers that are bad when it comes to DLC  are Japanese developers. In Japan they know western audiences like DLC, but since they're so ass backwards when it comes to anything online related they don't pay any sort of attention or care that western audiences don't like it when DLC is already on the disc, which is what almost all Japanese DLC is like (notably Namco-Bandai)

Why not release DLC months later instead of day one or so close to the release date? Well you think any idiot could figure that out on their own, but apparently that's not the case. The reason why so many publishers try to have it ready as early as possible is because most (if not all) games are at the peak of their popularity the first two weeks of their release, so that window is usually the best time to release DLC because thats when the most people are going to be playing whatever game.

Releasing DLC months later is pointless for most games, especially when people trade in games so early, or given that only half of console owners are online, then factor in that only a small fraction of that half are going to buy the DLC anyways, plus ontop of all that Microsoft and Sony are taking a cut/percentage of whatever the DLC makes. You also have to keep in mind that in order a game to a game to have DLC months later or for a game to keep producing DLC means that a developer/publisher has to keep a team working on DLC for a product that's already been released when it makes more financial sense to just have those said team members work on whatever next full on project instead.

People will ask why developers don't do more with DLC, ie exapansion packs, more characters, or anything really "major" in alot of cases and (aside from the reasons above) it's because they (the developers) know that they stand to make more money of any sort of big feature in a sequel rather then doing it as DLC where it's not going to reach alot of people. Ask yourself why fighting games don't tend to have DLC characters, stages, etc, when thats exactly the type of thing people want for those type of games? It's because the developers know that those things (more characters, stages, etc) stand to make more money by including them in a sequel rather then DLC. There's been what 7 fighting games this generation of consoles and only BlazBlue 2 has a downloadable character? Not counting the Star Wars character unlock DLC for Soul Calibur 4. The new Mortal Kombat will have DLC characters as well, but the point is this case is that sequels tend to screw over alot of DLC.

Just take a minute and realize that DLC is not as cut and dry and most people make it out to be. There are so many factors that most people are so unaware of when it comes to DLC yet they're so ready to flip out over.

Avatar image for biggooeyblob--defunct
    biggooeyblob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Charlee_CoCo funny how you're the only one in this thread with that notion.  If it really is the way you say I feel like the developers need to explain that more clearly, because all this DLC, Online Pass, Xbox Live price raises, etc. are all more and more starting to seem like a money grab. 

Now maybe I don't know the developer/publisher side of the business, but all I can work off of is my perception.  Perception is reality though to the buying public.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By chronicsmoke

More Mafia 2 action? sign me up

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ProjektGill

Reminds me of Mike the Cleaner from Breaking Bad.

ken4242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By ken4242

nice i thought the game was kinda short.... should have added more to original but i know these dlc's are just away to scrape extra dough outa our pockets.

Charlee_CoCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Charlee_CoCo
    @biggooeyblob:
    Developers do explain it, it's just that nobody ever listens or pays attention to it because said person or people think they have it all figured out from get go.

You say that all you can go off is your perception and I imagine alot of people would respond with the samething, but it's a perception based off nothing, so then why is it that people act like they've got it all figured out when they really don't have a clue? Why does the perception automatically always go towards the negative in this case?

I should make it clear that yes I have spoken with developers about exactly how DLC works, so some people might say "well not everbody gets to do that" or "you have an unfair advantage" or whatever, but at the sametime there have been instances (like with Bioware) where the situation has been publicly explained multiple times, yet like I said above nobody ever pays it any attention.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Branthog

I have absolutely no interest in this DLC. I'm sure it'll be much like the game, hours of driving from one end of town to the other, just to watch cut-scenes of generic characters that I couldn't care less about.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Sooty

In other words content that should have been included to begin with.

Developers that do stuff like this can go take a running jump off a cliff for all I care.

Edit: The game is short as it is and it's obvious they was withholding content. This is what sucks about consoles now being internet ready, in the PS2 era this thing wouldn't happen. PC would have got it free most likely but I doubt they'd have bothered withholding it in the first place.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#29  Edited By Yummylee

This extra Jimmy content is looking to make much more appealing. Though I'll still be waiting for a Mafia 2 price drop, low enough just so with the extra Jimmy content added I'll be already practically buying it full price.

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BounceDK

I hate dlc.

oobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By oobs

nicely put charlie..i agree with you..in the end you don't have to buy it..its up to the individual.
    Avatar image for i_love_eva_braun
    I_love_Eva_Braun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By I_love_Eva_Braun

Neat

thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thepantheon

Hey remember when they announced it was for 3 platforms? 

They sure don't.

faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By faustyn

noooooooooooooooooo. i just got the s-rank in mafia2. now i'll have to buy this thing... ;c

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.