Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Another PS3/Mass Effect 2 Blog: Why This Isn't Good

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Edited By EVHKwick

Between the sixteen threads and blog posts about the Mass Effect jump to the PlayStation 3, it's clear that this is a divided issue. After marinating in the news for the better part of the day, I've decided that I see this as a poor move for the Mass Effect franchise because there is a very real possibility this will give PS3 owners who haven't played an ME title before a bad taste in their mouth.

Mass Effect 2 is a phenomenal game in context. The mechanics and aesthetics are top notch, and it is a very fun game to play and experience, but a lot of the enjoyment for me was seeing the references of the first game, both those that were dependent on my choices in the original Mass Effect, and those that weren't. Since the overall story was weak, these references were what made the game's story for me. ME2 is a game about character development, and it has that coming out the ass. This was a really appealing aspect of ME2, but it wasn't what kept me returning to the game. This will still be present in the PS3 port, however, players will be subjected to a Diet-brand Mass Effect game in terms of story. If they aren't  suckers for character evolution, they won't have the references to make the overall story interesting.

Without Mass Effect, ME2 is a great shooter, with a decent story, and that's it. There's really not much more going on. It is not a five-star game without the existence of its five-star predecessor. It just isn't. It's still a good game, but it isn't the game 360/PC owners rave about. Seriously, think about it.

Until BioWare releases a statement about the original Mass Effect, this really isn't a big announcement. Microsoft is claiming that ME will remain 360/PC exclusive. I hope for PS3 owners' sake that there is some kind of announcement soon explaining what's going to happen to the Mass Effect franchise on the PlayStation console.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EVHKwick

Between the sixteen threads and blog posts about the Mass Effect jump to the PlayStation 3, it's clear that this is a divided issue. After marinating in the news for the better part of the day, I've decided that I see this as a poor move for the Mass Effect franchise because there is a very real possibility this will give PS3 owners who haven't played an ME title before a bad taste in their mouth.

Mass Effect 2 is a phenomenal game in context. The mechanics and aesthetics are top notch, and it is a very fun game to play and experience, but a lot of the enjoyment for me was seeing the references of the first game, both those that were dependent on my choices in the original Mass Effect, and those that weren't. Since the overall story was weak, these references were what made the game's story for me. ME2 is a game about character development, and it has that coming out the ass. This was a really appealing aspect of ME2, but it wasn't what kept me returning to the game. This will still be present in the PS3 port, however, players will be subjected to a Diet-brand Mass Effect game in terms of story. If they aren't  suckers for character evolution, they won't have the references to make the overall story interesting.

Without Mass Effect, ME2 is a great shooter, with a decent story, and that's it. There's really not much more going on. It is not a five-star game without the existence of its five-star predecessor. It just isn't. It's still a good game, but it isn't the game 360/PC owners rave about. Seriously, think about it.

Until BioWare releases a statement about the original Mass Effect, this really isn't a big announcement. Microsoft is claiming that ME will remain 360/PC exclusive. I hope for PS3 owners' sake that there is some kind of announcement soon explaining what's going to happen to the Mass Effect franchise on the PlayStation console.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bravetoaster

You're right. Gamers who were never exposed to the Mass Effect universe won't know what the hell is going on if they play the sequel. 

Both games are awesome and both should be released on PS3

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By ravensword

ME 2s story is great regardless of wether its default. and for all we know, Bioware can maybe do something to rectify this issue. Wether it be working out something with MS to bring the first game to PS3 also in time for the second one or releasing the first some time after the second game. Either way, this is a great thing for PS3 owners.  

I do hope they dont do a "mass effect 1 in 5 minutes" or some BS like they did for the demo of ME 2.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Afroman269

I still have a hard time seeing ME 1 coming to PS3. EA just wanted to port ME 2 to PS3 for the moneyz. Either divine intervention will occur and ME 1 will be ported over or the most likely situation of here's ME 1 in 5 min. If people want to get the most of the series then simply get a 360.

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FakePlasticTree

I suppose it all comes down to personal opinion. Even without the context of your previous Shepard I still think Mass Effect 2 is a phenomenal game. For me, it absolutely IS a game I rave about on my 360. Mass Effect 2 is, in my opinion of course, one of the best games the 360 has to offer.  Having played the original, I had the backstory and context going into the sequel. However, I also started a second play through with a brand new character, and I didn't feel like I missed a step in the story. Bioware did a great job of briefly filling in the backstory within the Mass Effect universe, and even filling in potential plot holes for players who hadn't played the original.  And of course with the incredibly deep codex there is plenty of reading you can do that can fill you in on the universe if you are interested enough to do so.

I personally feel that Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of this generation, whether you've played the original or not. The story isn't SO deep that you will be completely lost without having gone through the first game. Sure you'll run into a couple characters you might not recognize, but Mass Effect 2 stands perfectly well on it's own, and I am happy for people who only own a PS3 because they get to experience one of the best titles I've played in years. As for me, I'm really looking forward to playing through the game again and hopefully finally beating that damn game on Insanity. It might take me until the end of the PS3's life cycle, but I WILL platinum Mass Effect 2.  :)

On the flip side, there is the rumored 'added content' in the PS3 version. I'm pretty sure it's just going to be some of the paid DLC for free, but let's be incredibly optimistic and hope they pack in the first game just for kicks. Everyone wants these "collections" ever since the GoW collection dropped, so maybe Bioware loves their community so much they are willing to give away the first game for free. I mean really, how many copies of Mass Effect 1 are flying off store shelves these days? I'm sure the sales for that title have pretty much plateaued. 

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Andorski

A "Mass Effect 1 in 5 minutes" wouldn't be such a bad replacement for playing through ME1.  ME2 shows that Bioware has the chops to make a cinematic short movie, and running through ME1 just to shape your story could be chore for people who find the flaws in the first entry of the series intolerable.

Just have players answer questions on what Sheppard's personality is like and have a series of clips stored on the Blu-ray spit out a short movie on what happened in ME1.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By ReyGitano

All I know is this means that for the course of my friend playing Mass Effect 2, I'll be having to answer questions about Mass Effect 1.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EVHKwick
    @FakePlasticTree said:
    " I suppose it all comes down to personal opinion. Even without the context of your previous Shepard I still think Mass Effect 2 is a phenomenal game. For me, it absolutely IS a game I rave about on my 360. Mass Effect 2 is, in my opinion of course, one of the best games the 360 has to offer.  Having played the original, I had the backstory and context going into the sequel. However, I also started a second play through with a brand new character, and I didn't feel like I missed a step in the story. Bioware did a great job of briefly filling in the backstory within the Mass Effect universe, and even filling in potential plot holes for players who hadn't played the original.  And of course with the incredibly deep codex there is plenty of reading you can do that can fill you in on the universe if you are interested enough to do so.
    But when you started your second character, you were still aware of what occurred in the first game, and what had made the transition to the second game. I really don't believe that had you not played the first game at all, Mass Effect 2 would be one of the best titles for the 360; it would just be a good sci-fi shooter.
    Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FakePlasticTree
    @hack745 said:

" @FakePlasticTree said:

" I suppose it all comes down to personal opinion. Even without the context of your previous Shepard I still think Mass Effect 2 is a phenomenal game. For me, it absolutely IS a game I rave about on my 360. Mass Effect 2 is, in my opinion of course, one of the best games the 360 has to offer.  Having played the original, I had the backstory and context going into the sequel. However, I also started a second play through with a brand new character, and I didn't feel like I missed a step in the story. Bioware did a great job of briefly filling in the backstory within the Mass Effect universe, and even filling in potential plot holes for players who hadn't played the original.  And of course with the incredibly deep codex there is plenty of reading you can do that can fill you in on the universe if you are interested enough to do so.
    But when you started your second character, you were still aware of what occurred in the first game, and what had made the transition to the second game. I really don't believe that had you not played the first game at all, Mass Effect 2 would be one of the best titles for the 360; it would just be a good sci-fi shooter. "
    You're probably right. Though if I remember correctly (it's been a while) I made different choices with my second character. Also, I have a friend who hadn't played the original and absolutely loved the sequel. He eventually went back and played the first one after finishing Mass Effect 2, but he was quite enamoured with the sequel on his first play through. I'm sure there will be people who don't fully appreciate Mass Effect 2 for the reasons you've listed, but at the same time I'm positive there will be a ton of people who absolutely love it. 
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Quacktastic

So hypothetically someone says, 'I only have enough money for one game.  Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2?'  Even though this person has played neither game,  how many people do you think would honestly suggest ME1?

Also, companies don't make sequels to only apply to people who played the first game.  If you did that your install base would be shit.  Every sequel ever is made to appeal to people who have never even heard of the franchise as well as those who are already invested.  This just seems like todays, something-to-complain-about.

Would it make it better?  Probably.   But if you really care it's nothing an hour reading a Mass Effect wiki won't fix.  Or if you really wanted to watch it all - Youtube.

It just seems like such a goofy line to tow.
    It reminds me of the bombcast where they made fun of people asking if they should buy StarCraft 2, even though they didn't play 1 
    You will be able play Metal Gear Raiden without playing MGS4 or Peace Walker
    You will be able play Deus Ex 3 without playing 1
    You will be able to understand and enjoy Diablo 3 without touching 1 or 2.

If that wasn't true it would be terrible game design and even worse business.

@hack745 said:

" Mass Effect 2 is a phenomenal game in context.  
    It is not a five-star game without the existence of its five-star predecessor. "
    I think if you honestly believe that, then it can't be a 5 star game.
    If you have to use caveats saying 'Its good if...'  then it isn't.
    EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EVHKwick
    @Quacktastic said:
    Also, companies don't make sequels to only apply to people who played the first game.
    Typically, yes. But I hardly think BioWare developed Mass Effect 2 for anyone other than people who played the first. That game isn't really meant to be played as a single game. I can be played that way, but a lot of the charm of ME2 lies in knowledge of the first.
    Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Malakhii

In my opinion games coming out on more systems is  good thing, lets more people enjoy something. It will be easy for people to read wiki's or whatever for ME1. While the story is good, lets be honest, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out what happened/is going on. 

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By demonbear

The thing is, Mass Effect 2 contains soooo many references to the 1rst game, people will probably miss otu on a lot of stuff if they just get into the franchise with this. then again, get Mass Effect 1 on steam.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Quacktastic
    @hack745 said:
    " @Quacktastic said:
    Also, companies don't make sequels to only apply to people who played the first game.
    Typically, yes. But I hardly think BioWare developed Mass Effect 2 for anyone other than people who played the first. That game isn't really meant to be played as a single game. I can be played that way, but a lot of the charm of ME2 lies in knowledge of the first. "

How many copes did ME1 sell?  Whatever that number is you have to imagine BioWare was looking to sell more than that.  So there is no way they develop the game only for people who played Mass Effect.  You want your market to expand not stagnate and shrink.
    '3 Million people (a guess) bought Mass Effect so lets make Mass Effect 2 for those 3 million.'
    'Wait, but 37 million people have an Xbox and didn't buy Mass Effect 1 but could potentially buy Mass Effect 2.  Should we try to sell to them?'
    'Yeah, never mind what I said.  Let's do that.'
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cornman89

Seriously? Come on, in no universe is the ability to play ME2 not a good thing, even as an entry point to the series. Anyone who cares enough to familiarize themselves with ME1's story has any number of ways to do so (I prefer Let's Plays to Wikipedia), and they would know going in that importing clear saves isn't an option. (Though if Bioware is smart, they'll allow PS3 gamers the option to choose their own canon during Miranda's interrogation--like they should've done in the first place.)

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EVHKwick
    @Quacktastic said:

" @hack745 said:

" @Quacktastic said:
    Typically, yes. But I hardly think BioWare developed Mass Effect 2 for anyone other than people who played the first. That game isn't really meant to be played as a single game. I can be played that way, but a lot of the charm of ME2 lies in knowledge of the first. "

How many copes did ME1 sell?  Whatever that number is you have to imagine BioWare was looking to sell more than that.  So there is no way they develop the game only for people who played Mass Effect.  You want your market to expand not stagnate and shrink.
    '3 Million people (a guess) bought Mass Effect so lets make Mass Effect 2 for those 3 million.'
    'Wait, but 37 million people have an Xbox and didn't buy Mass Effect 1 but could potentially buy Mass Effect 2.  Should we try to sell to them?' 'Yeah, never mind what I said.  Let's do that.' "
    Absolutely, but developing it that way doesn't make any sense. You wouldn't write a book meant to be the beginning of a tightly-knit trilogy, then write the second book so more people would buy it then its predecessor. BioWare knew that they were planning a trilogy. I'm sure the original Mass Effect sold more copies once the second game came out; I know for a fact that the price of a used copy of Mass Effect increased around the same time ME2 released. BioWare is in this for the trilogy's sake, not the individual game sales. That way, all of the entries will sell around the same amount of copies. There'll be some deviation, but wouldn't it make more sense to increase the sales of an entire series over the sales of one game? Keeping these games in the tight-continuum will sell more copies of multiple games, even if that means the quality won't be the same for those that pick up one entry and just play that. PS3 users, at the point in time, won't be able to go back to the original after playing the second.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By animateria

Eh. Both the PC and 360 version of the original Mass Effect isn't really great in terms of playability.

I'm not talking about the general RPG or combat mechanics either. The game just doesn't run that well with a lot of graphical hiccups and what not.

If EA or Bioware wanted to bring the original to the PS3, they would have to look into these issues. Which will probably cost more for them than not doing it in the first place.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy
    @Afroman269 said:

" If people want to get the most of the series then simply get a 360. "

This is pretty much how I see it. Except also put PC in there. 

Having the Mass Effect trilogy without Mass Effect 1 is just plain dumb. That's like owning the Star Wars Original Trilogy on Blu-Ray, except without A New Hope. Or like saying, "Here are Seasons 3 to 6 of Lost, enjoy." Another good example is movies. If you look up the story to a movie on Wikipedia, then whats the whole goddam point of the movie if you're just going to read the plot and ending just to see what happened? It's the experience that should matter, not just what went on story-wise.

And I really don't see ME1 coming to the PS3 because Microsoft published it.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @hack745 said:
    "  Mass Effect 2 is a phenomenal game in context.  "
    Wrong. Mass Effect 2 is a phenomenal game because of its own merits. It is beyond phenomenal in context however. I currently own three copies of Mass Effect 2 (don't ask why) and will still pick it up for PS3 for a number of reasons.
    thai_jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20  Edited By thai_jedi
    @hack745: Another point I'd like to make is the fact that I think that the story of the first is FAR more gripping than that of the second. The whole atmosphere in the first one was much tenser than that of the second one. That alone is worth full price of ME forget the shooting and driving.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @thai_jedi said:
    " @hack745: Another point I'd like to make is the fact that I think that the story of the first is FAR more gripping than that of the second. The whole atmosphere in the first one was much tenser than that of the second one. That alone is worth full price of ME forget the shooting and driving. "
    I don't fully agree. Mass Effect 2 felt like it was building to something way more epic, which it did. However I understand your feeling. In the first you had a clear nemesis to hate in Saren. The second had more of a vague enemy. That's the main reason I feel, is why you feel the way you do.
    Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pepsicolaboy
    @hack745: I know its been stated in the thread so far, but I just want it to be entirely clear: 

The Mass Effect franchise is not, and has never been, exclusive to the Xbox360.  
    Indeed, the PC version of the original is far and away the only version I would recommend to someone wanting to get into the franchise now, starting from the original. 

This, in addition to the numerous points mentioned above, should surely quell your 'concerns'.
    EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EVHKwick
    @Pepsicolaboy said:
    " @hack745: I know its been stated in the thread so far, but I just want it to be entirely clear: 

The Mass Effect franchise is not, and has never been, exclusive to the Xbox360.  
    Indeed, the PC version of the original is far and away the only version I would recommend to someone wanting to get into the franchise now, starting from the original.  This, in addition to the numerous points mentioned above, should surely quell your 'concerns'. "
    I never said it was exclusive. The PC has both games available, as does the 360. My concerns stem from the PS3 only featuring Mass Effect 2.
    sukru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sukru

You're right.

It's like listening to an opera, without understanding the language. The feeling is good, but it would be better if you knew what they told.

Anyways, I hope they do not decrease the value of the choices we did in ME1 during ME3 because of this change.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Geno

I agree for the most part, I also think that ME1 is a great standalone title that everyone should play anyway. Bioware should do the right thing and bundle a PC version of ME1 with PS3 ME2; any computer that can run Left 4 Dead should be able to run ME1 at this point, at least at console settings. Then perhaps they can do some interconnectivity magic through their Bioware social site (something like how DLC works maybe) and allow you to port your ME1 choices to your ME2 game. 

blue257

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By blue257

Mass Effect 2 was designed to go with Mass Effect 1. While the game is great on its own, what sets it apart is the way 1 and 2 are intertwined. Because story is central to this franchise, Sony will be doing themselves a disservice if they don't see that 1 is involved somehow.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jasta

Has there been any kind of statement as to why the first game wasint released for PS3?

And isint there meant to be carry over references from the 1st to 3rd game aswell? How the hell is it all going to work?

The intro where Miranda interviews you about the events of ME will not make sense at all.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I played the second one on PC with no save file and had lots of fun 

Also they said NOTHING about the first game. For all we know its gonna be a two pack. So do not assume yet. 

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By haggis

Given that ME1 was published by Microsoft, it simply will not be ported to the PS3. So there's no hope there. On the other hand, I too disagree with ME2 only being good "in context." There's no reason why an additional cinematic covering what happened in the first game couldn't catch people up on the story. And it's not as if gamers are incapable of figuring things out. You know, there's this thing called the internet that can help get them up to speed, if that's what they want.

"I'm not talking about the general RPG or combat mechanics either. The game just doesn't run that well with a lot of graphical hiccups and what not." I still don't get this complaint about the original Mass Effect. I've played Mass Effect through four times on two consoles and never had any appreciable graphical hiccups. That said, ME2 is still far better as a game (I had more graphical glitches in ME2 than in ME1, but still nothing remotely bad). The real obstacles to porting the game are not technical, but legal.

My guess is that EA and Bioware are porting ME2 to the PS3 because of the projected cost of the third game. Without sales on both consoles, ME3 might be a bit too expensive to make. So this move is primarily about making the most out of ME3. I can see ME2 selling well on the PS3, even without the first game being available. It's not as if everyone who bought Halo 3 for the 360 owned an original Xbox and played Halo 2.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By c1337us

I disagree. Mass Effect 2 is a great game on it own merits. And as someone who played the first one I was probably in a position to have a lot of the stuff go over my head to because I didn't diverge from completing the first game as quickly as possible in 1. I don't see how a "last time in Mass Effect" type thing would substitute nicely. I think it is a good oppurtunity for people who havent played it to get a chance. I just dont know how many people that would be. Surely most of the people who were keen on the game and didnt have a 360 would have a PC and checked it out there already. I am sure there are plenty of people who only have a PS3 I guess but how many of those people are going to be Mass Effects target audience.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Death_Unicorn

It's great that more people will play a great game, but what I'm worried about is how it will affect Mass Effect 3.

If Mass Effect 1 does not come to the PS3, which I can't see happening, all the decisions that Shepard made in Mass Effect 1 will be set in stone for Mass Effect 3. This might mean that BioWare won't give the choices made in ME3 any significant impact.  

Luckily, Christina Norman tweeted that they still will have impact, but my worries are still there.
    9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 9cupsoftea

Don't overrate the continuity of ME. The choices in ME1 didn't amount to much more than a few irrelevant dialogue exchanges and some random emails. ME2 was almost completely a stand alone game. 

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jiggah
    @Death_Unicorn:  
    You can pick the choices for the significant events of ME1 at the beginning of ME2.  So, yes, those choices will still hold.  I'm not sure what some people are so uppity about.  All they have to do is stick a longer intro giving the general events of ME1 and give the same choices that were given to both 360/PC players at the beginning of the game. 

@9cupsoftea:  
    Agreed.  The "impact" was pretty insignificant overall.  It's nice to see a referential sentence here and there, but that's the majority of the choice of ME1 lead to.  Bioware gave the player the ability to change the critical choices at the beginning of ME2.
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vaile

I agree that the experience would be far superior if PS3 players were capable of having the ME1 experience, but I don't think that the lack of that makes ME2 on the PS3 a bad move in any respect. As LiquidPrince said, ME2 is a phenomenal game on its own merit. 
    My big issue is not with the lack of character importing, but with the assumption in ME2 that you know all of the lore from ME1. For players who don't, the experience could wind up being pretty confusing.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ravensword

Dr. Ray confirmed in a interview that they will have a inroductory segment in ME 2 for people that dont know the story so far. What this means is unknown, but its nice people are getting something. It could be a gamepaly thing, or it could be a montage. My guess is a montage. Also, he confirmed that ME 2 on PS3 will include cerberus network access and have the DLC. Wether the DLC is on disc I dont think was made clear.  

http://www.vg247.com/2010/08/18/gamescom-interview-ray-bioware-confirms-intro-content-for-me2-ps3-included-dlc-more/ 
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By get2sammyb

Bioware's said that they're going to provide people coming to the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 with a "seamless introduction" to the universe. I find it hard to believe that people who love Mass Effect would even consider developers Bioware (the same critically acclaimed Bioware) would do a shitty job integrating the franchise into a new audience.

Here's the full quote from Ray:

“We’re making sure there’s a really seamless introduction to the world of Mass Effect, for players that haven’t experienced it before,” he said.

“So even though it’s Mass Effect 2 specifically, we’re making sure there’s a nice introduction experience, that provides the back-story and the things that have happened up to that point in the universe, and makes it a really seamless introduction.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EVHKwick
    @get2sammyb:  This'll certainly help things for PS3 owners. As long as there's plans in place for them to get the third installment. While PS3 might not be the best platform to experience the Mass Effect story, it's good to know that their going to get as much of the complete picture as possible.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By get2sammyb
    @hack745 said:
    " @get2sammyb:  This'll certainly help things for PS3 owners. As long as there's plans in place for them to get the third installment. While PS3 might not be the best platform to experience the Mass Effect story, it's good to know that their going to get as much of the complete picture as possible. "
    Yeah, Bioware's a great studio so I'm sure they'll do the best job that they can. I'm excited as I'm PS3-only and my PC isn't up to snuff so I'm looking forward to jumping into it personally. Especially given all the critical acclaim.

And like you say, Mass Effect 3 was always likely to go multiplatform and it's better they do this than just throw that game out to the PS3 crowd with absolutely no context at all.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Azteck
    @Death_Unicorn said:
    " It's great that more people will play a great game, but what I'm worried about is how it will affect Mass Effect 3.

If Mass Effect 1 does not come to the PS3, which I can't see happening, all the decisions that Shepard made in Mass Effect 1 will be set in stone for Mass Effect 3. This might mean that BioWare won't give the choices made in ME3 any significant impact.  
    Luckily, Christina Norman tweeted that they still will have impact, but my worries are still there. "
    This is my main concern as well. They certainly went down a slippery slope when they decided to make the games have decisions that impacted the rest of the series but they did it (to some degree) but how long can they keep it up if they take this road?

That said, I haven't got any real issues with it being released. It's a great game, without a doubt, and I'm sure anyone could enjoy it. But it is so much better when you have the first game to back it up. Especially to give you a backstory, for example what the reapers are. They didn't explain that at all in the 2nd game (as far as I remember) so if you just pick up the second game without reading up, which I think a lot of people won't, they'll be extremely confused.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.