Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

For a galaxy so full life, life is pretty...lifeless.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

Doesn't anyone else finds an issue with how static the NPC's in Mass Effect, and in Bioware games in general, are? I mean for a galaxy so rich of life and the variety of life there's really no life to it. I am not a programmer but is it really hard to program a minimal behavior pattern to even give you the illusion of being in a game world or is it so hard that BiWare are just in a "can't be bothered mood". Frankly I think the reapers can add a little bit of fun to the whole matter.  

If bioware wants me to really get into their games and not feel so disjointed then perhaps throw in some NPC behivour pattern and make me think like I am part of a bigger galaxy then seeing the same characters every time I go to citadel. 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mordukai
    @Tarsier said:
    " its not an open world game man, the realism of the world is mostly found through the characters and story, not the NPCs actions.. you arent supposed to sit there and watch NPCs anyways, if you want to do that then just play GTA or red dead or fallout.. "
    Still make an effort. Make be believe I am part of a world and not that I am the only person the whole galaxy with the will to do shit all the time. I am just saying throw some people walking on the citadel and omega.  Have the bartenders in actually serve drinks to background NPC's. Just because a game is not open world doesn't mean you have to have such a static  game world. 
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Good point, they could up some of the background animations like ME2 did and hopefully have a real flowing world going in 3.
    Having a list of random (non quest) npc's that rotate their spawns would be great.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno

I'd have to agree. At the very least, non-important NPCs should be moving around. They just seem to stick to the same spots and make the same comments each time you walk by them. Very unnatural and one of my main criticisms of ME2. 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai
    @Geno said:
    " I'd have to agree. At the very least, non-important NPCs should be moving around. They just seem to stick to the same spots and make the same comments each time you walk by them. Very unnatural and one of my main criticisms of ME2.  "
    Takes me back to Morrowind days. At least Guards and some people moved around though. 
    velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By velucyraptor
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " ... Having a list of random (non quest) npc's that rotate their spawns would be great. "
    Agreed, something simple like this can go a long way.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Especially jarring when I'd listen to that whole conversation the Volus had with Asari vendor in Illium. ''Give me all the tech upgrades you have'' ect., only for it start all over again once it was finished.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Mordukai said:
    " I am not a programmer but is it really hard to program a minimal behavior pattern to even give you the illusion of being in a game world or is it so hard that BiWare are just in a "can't be bothered mood". "
    Actually, yes, it is that hard. Not only does it require a significant amount of programming (especially if you want the behaviour to by dynamic and it seems like you do), but it requires a sigificant amount of voice acting and probably animation as well. Both of those cost a significant amount of money, and time, all to add very minor intrigue to areas you're supposed to be walking through anyway. Conversley, the method they do now - IE people standing around or perhaps a bit of walking getting into arguments or debates or what not, is cheaper, faster, more practical, and is more than enough to maintain the 'illusion' for most people, definitely long enough for them to move through the area and get on with the actual game. 

I don't think you realize how much work what you're asking for is, compared to the small, small benefit.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Mordukai: Add to that the fact that there are actually very few places to explore and you have a pretty disappointing physical world. Just as well the universe is rich in mythology and character.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c86670f38adc
    deactivated-5c86670f38adc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I was really disappointed with the whole system, it felt kind of restricting, and every time I went anywhere I'd see the same people in the same places.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Mordukai said:
    " Doesn't anyone else finds an issue with how static the NPC's in Mass Effect, and in Bioware games in general, are? I mean for a galaxy so rich of life and the variety of life there's really no life to it. I am not a programmer but is it really hard to program a minimal behavior pattern to even give you the illusion of being in a game world or is it so hard that BiWare are just in a "can't be bothered mood". Frankly I think the reapers can add a little bit of fun to the whole matter.    If bioware wants me to really get into their games and not feel so disjointed then perhaps throw in some NPC behivour pattern and make me think like I am part of a bigger galaxy then seeing the same characters every time I go to citadel.  "
    My biggest gripe with games with the bioware engine is the jarring posture of all the characters. 

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meowshi
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " I am not a programmer but is it really hard to program a minimal behavior pattern to even give you the illusion of being in a game world or is it so hard that BiWare are just in a "can't be bothered mood". "
    Actually, yes, it is that hard. Not only does it require a significant amount of programming (especially if you want the behaviour to by dynamic and it seems like you do), but it requires a sigificant amount of voice acting and probably animation as well. Both of those cost a significant amount of money, and time, all to add very minor intrigue to areas you're supposed to be walking through anyway. Conversley, the method they do now - IE people standing around or perhaps a bit of walking getting into arguments or debates or what not, is cheaper, faster, more practical, and is more than enough to maintain the 'illusion' for most people, definitely long enough for them to move through the area and get on with the actual game.  I don't think you realize how much work what you're asking for is, compared to the small, small benefit. "
    Logic!  No!  It burns!  It burns!
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By wickedsc3

If an open world such as GTA or Red Dead can do it.  It would seem that a liner game could do easier than that.  They know exactly when you are going to be in a certain area and what you are most likely going to be doing.  Or even the fact that with ME you come back to areas a decent amount maybe if they just spawned them in different spots like you said.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy

They reused a lot of ME1's animations on ME2 and DA:O as well. Especially the ones during conversations.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 02sfraser

It's a lot more story and speech focused rather than actions. Bethesda use radiant AI to make their characters seem real by making them preform daily tasks, but Mass Effect doesn't need that since you're never really in a area for more than a couple of hours at a time.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai
    @Abyssfull said:
    " Especially jarring when I'd listen to that whole conversation the Volus had with Asari vendor in Illium. ''Give me all the tech upgrades you have'' ect., only for it start all over again once it was finished. "
    I want something that says, I own this room.
    overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By overbyte
    @02sfraser said:

" It's a lot more story and speech focused rather than actions. Bethesda use radiant AI to make their characters seem real by making them preform daily tasks, but Mass Effect doesn't need that since you're never really in a area for more than a couple of hours at a time. "

Yes, but given that it had the story, gameplay and the dialog nailed down (and you'll say just most of those once during a playthrough), still it couldn't hurt to add some behaviors or more NPCs doing their thing instead of standing around in classic CRPG fashion. Games like this need to have extra care in that immersion bit, and the world behaving a bit more like a believable one can help. I listened to a lot of Casey Hudson's interviews and he'd go on and on about how they really made the lore and the world such that you'd actually want to live in there. Then I fire up the game and I hear the same triggered speeches from the NPCs standing on the same area for a while now.

On the topic in general, this is one of the things I liked about Assassin's Creed when it first came out. The crowd system. If you take a real good look at it you'll see that the AI does mostly the same things (like the infamous beggars) and there's a limited and simple set of routines the people can do (clean wall, gasp at dead body, carry boxes around, etc.). But since there's like a HUGE amount of them in a given area, these preset behaviors literally made me think "wow, I feel like I'm the Holy Land/Italy with all these people." 

Hell, they had more walking people on the Presidium in ME1 if I recall correctly. And there's like 1 Turian walking around on the mid-level of the Shopping Mall. Given all the extra animations your squad can do, shouldn't be too expensive to mocap some additional stuff like say (for the Citadel) 

- Transports boarding on/off an inaccessible area (with come clever level design to discreetly "remove" actors who boarded off the transport)
    - NPCs carrying boxes and stuff around like in AC
    - People fiddling with their omnitools 
    - Quarians sitting on the floor acting poor and stuff 

They have animations for Asari prostitutes for Pete's sake! 
     I've toyed a bit with the Unreal Engine, and it's quite dev-friendly compared to the other stuff out there. Doesn't seem hard to recycle some routines since they already do a lot of that. 

Given all this since Baldur's Gate, guess that's just how Bioware rolls. They have great writers and artists no doubt, I just feel that the gameplay and their environment-making skills needs to be raised up to match. I've read a hilarious post somewhere that they literally copy-paste the storyboard and that's why most of their maps are a bit rectangular :)
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

/agree

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dabe

Unfortunately this stems from the Bioware-specific troupe that you are the center of the Universe, whether it be as Shepard, Revan or Furious Ming.  

The codex and Normandy help alleviate this illusion but it persists in almost every game out there. Also, the levels would have to be altered to incororate houses, rooms, lodgings for the different planets inhabitants and I doubt they can be arsed to work too hard on this aspect, especially when the focus of the game is not on verisimilitude but providing a space opera in the vein of Star Trek/Star Wars.
    overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By overbyte
    @dabe said:

" Unfortunately this stems from the Bioware-specific troupe that you are the center of the Universe, whether it be as Shepard, Revan or Furious Ming.   The codex and Normandy help alleviate this illusion but it persists in almost every game out there. Also, the levels would have to be altered to incororate houses, rooms, lodgings for the different planets inhabitants and I doubt they can be arsed to work too hard on this aspect, especially when the focus of the game is not on verisimilitude but providing a space opera in the vein of Star Trek/Star Wars. "

ME doesn't need houses and such, it's just that we're so used to have these games where immersion into the world is oh-so-important yet the same characters stand around 24/7 (or whatever the hell Citadel time is). Also part of the reason why I can't stand JPRGs and just loved how Assassin's Creed pulls it off, and you can't open every single house in that game either and see people cooking. Much as I am a nut for ME lore, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that the world feels a bit "samey" whenever you enter a place.

Also note in say, Star Wars, they have all these aliens talking, drinking, or just walking around in the background. You can infer that "Tattooine is this diverse desert planet" or "Coruscant is this big city full of life". You're right though, Bioware's games have this laser-like focus on the main character that the game world (physically not lore-wise) sometimes takes a back seat (and we get KOTOR's nearly square/rectangular maps)
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sameeeeam

Agreed.

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Vaile

I think that one of the more practical reasons they do that is to keep NPCs out of your way. 

Take Elder Scrolls games. I love them to death, but I hate how a random NPC can prevent me from exiting a room, or worse, get in the way of my spells. Because BioWare locales are even more closed up than Elder Scrolls locales, this could present even more of a problem. Keeping them in one location simply keeps things from getting hectic. 

Also, it makes necessary NPCs easier to find. Mass Effect doesn't have the kind of detailed compass that the Elder Scrolls games have. If NPCs could be found anywhere on a map, you'd spend way too much time looking for them, and eventually get bored. 

At least, that's my thought.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By mikemcn

I want to see the NPC who has to sweep the space station floor everyday. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Geno said:
    " I'd have to agree. At the very least, non-important NPCs should be moving around. They just seem to stick to the same spots and make the same comments each time you walk by them. Very unnatural and one of my main criticisms of ME2.  "

@TheSeductiveMoose said:
    " /agree "
    yup 

Which is why Red Dead Redemption was my #1 and ME2 was my #2 ... yes, i get it, Mass Effect 2 has dialogue trees and deep characters, its very nice and i like it, but its an interactive video game, not a socializing simulator. 
    Playing such a grand, big-budget, widely praised, critically acclaimed game and having everyone in it stand around because they serve no purpose other than be there to interact with the main character felt fucking awful .. absolutely one of the most devoid-of-life AAA 2010 titles.
    KailenWolfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KailenWolfe

I enjoy the game, and I agree with the TC. The dialog too is full of tautology too..

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By LiquidPrince

Imagine Assassin's Creed crowd technology in every game that needs it. That would cool.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By danimal_furry

You talk like you are playing on a system with infinite possibilities. There is a limit to what your computer/console can handle. For every bit the put into developing extra crap for NPCs, that's a bit they can't put into the actual meaningful content of the game.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By phantomzxro

I will say its a fair argument but you can't just knock mass effect for that many games have a hard time creating a world full of life. I can only think of two that have done it right which are red dead/GTA and assassin creed  and maybe fable . The reason why those games are good at them because they focus on the sandbox nature of  games, they also only  have you focusing on one lead character.   It would be nice to have that but something else will give just look at how fable 3 turned out. It would be awesome for mass effect 3 to do that but i would much prefer them to build on their strong suits and improve on what they can.

I could see a spinoff mass effect game where personal choices don't factor too heavily from game to game where they can work on  creating more life in the worlds and cities.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sjosz

It's not easy setting up NPCs like that when your toolset isn't geared towards it as a primary focus. In fact, it gets expensive fast, and the Mass Effect experience isn't really about NPCs wandering around actively in the world.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By haggis
    @Vaile said:
    " I think that one of the more practical reasons they do that is to keep NPCs out of your way.  Take Elder Scrolls games. I love them to death, but I hate how a random NPC can prevent me from exiting a room, or worse, get in the way of my spells. Because BioWare locales are even more closed up than Elder Scrolls locales, this could present even more of a problem. Keeping them in one location simply keeps things from getting hectic.  Also, it makes necessary NPCs easier to find. Mass Effect doesn't have the kind of detailed compass that the Elder Scrolls games have. If NPCs could be found anywhere on a map, you'd spend way too much time looking for them, and eventually get bored.  At least, that's my thought. "
    I think the NPC wandering thing is what often makes Bethesda's games so damned glitchy. We'll see if this is fixed in Skyrim, but it was certainly a pain in the ass in Oblivion and Fallout 3 (and New Vegas). There are trade-offs to having the NPCs as static as they are in Mass Effect, but in general it doesn't bother me. BioWare has a different focus. Would it be better to have a good system of moving NPCs, a day/night cycle, etc.? Maybe. But as ME isn't really an open-world game, I don't think it would add much considering the additional cost. I'd rather them focus on other things. As much as I enjoy the sheer crowds in games like Assassin's creed, those crowds are part of the gameplay (being chased through empty streets just isn't very thrilling). In Mass Effect, they really would just be in the way.
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @Tarsier: You don't watch the npcs, but you will always look at them on your journey, so it would be nice to see changes made with the npcs.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#32  Edited By NTM
    @Mordukai:
    You may not remember, but in the first ME game there was always a salarian (or at least a few) walking around the citadel when you're there.
    dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dillonwerner
    @Mordukai: Go play a Bethesda game.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I'm more annoyed by the way conversations between characters play out.

They always look so awkward.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.