Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

I beleive ME2 is the most technically impressive game ever made.

• 101 results
    EliteShadowDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EliteShadowDog

And this means for graphics also. I think Uncharted is a bit over rated. Uncharted is linear and not very open. And for Crysis it looks dam good for sure. But the player models are not that great. And it does not do much more then be open yet game play is not that great.

With ME2 it does so many many things well. The cut scenes and player face animations are second to none. They look artisticly brillint. Not to mention the size and scope of the game is just massive. ME 2 has some incredible detail also in the entire game. Not only does the game have just eye dropping eye candy from an artistic stand point it also has great textures and lighting. And has some of the most beautiful smokes effects blended in with lighting and smog particles in the air. The game just looks like art in motion.

With this all said if you look at the size and scope of things this game is second to none. And the game runs like BUTTER smooth as a babies butt. I don't think you can find a more piece of perfection anywhere on any system better then ME2.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

must..not..mention...ARGH 

EliteShadowDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EliteShadowDog
    @AjayRaz said:
    " must..not..mention...ARGH  "
    Huh?
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I think Uncharted is a bit over rated.   

And now, so is Mass Effect 2. 
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By beargirl1
    @EliteShadowDog said:
    " @AjayRaz said:
    " must..not..mention...ARGH  "
    Huh? "
    i'm a bit biased because while I do think ME2 looks good, I think Uncharted 2 looks a bit better. it's likely because i haven't actually seen ME2 played on a TV (only HD video and screenshots). 
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "

And now, so is Mass Effect 2.  "
    UC2 did not have planet scanning....That is what really brought the game down for me. Other wise it would be a near perfect game....
    roylink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By roylink

If we are going to have a fight between Me2 and Uncharted 2, I pick Mass Effect 2.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "

UC2 did not have planet scanning....That is what really brought the game down for me. Other wise it would be a near perfect game.... "
    haha.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

"

UC2 did not have planet scanning....That is what really brought the game down for me. Other wise it would be a near perfect game.... "
    haha. "
    I also most likely have carpel tunnel from playing Mass effect 2 on the laptop and scanning each planet.. 

I often judge games I like on how long they are..between Mass effect 2 and UC 2....wait..im not a fan boy..im ALLOWED to like more then one game system...
    Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Tasus

The loading times are a bitch though, also, the levels aren't that big.  When talking technology much of the credit has to go to Unreal Engine 3. Artistically it's Mass Effect, and yes, that looks great.

I think Wolfenstein 3D is the most technically impressive game ever made... or Pong.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#11  Edited By Yummylee

I believe that you believe ME2 is the most technically impressive game ever made.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Abyssfull said:
    " I believe that you believe ME2 is the most technically impressive game ever made. "
    Well put. 
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By BraveToaster

dude, WTF is "eye dropping eye candy"?

No Caption Provided
    canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By canucks23

Technically i think U2 is better than ME2, everything you mentioned that ME2 does so well i've seen U2 do better. As for which one is better overall, it's tied for me. I luvs me some uncharted/mass effect.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By rateoforange

Uncharted 2 is probably the most 'technically impressive' because of the ways Naughty Dog managed to leverage the cell, which is a mystery to practically everyone else. Which one looks better is much more subjective.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @rateoforange said:
    " Uncharted 2 is probably the most 'technically impressive' because of the ways Naughty Dog managed to leverage the cell, which is a mystery to practically everyone else. Which one looks better is much more subjective. "

No Caption Provided
    Best lookin game EVAR! 
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By RobotHamster

You are hyping the game way too much it really is an overrated game, good, but overrated.  All the things you mentioned were done by U2 probably even better except your putting a fanboy spin on things.  

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By veektarius

Eye graphics in ME2 were messed up.  You ever watch Tali's eyes in the middle of a conversation and how her face seems to be a bit slanted?

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frankfartmouth

You mention a lot of things that really aren't technical, like size and scope. One of the biggest, longest games I've played to this day is Dragon Warrior 7, which was a technical piece of garbage. It seems like you might be factoring a few too many of those things in, cause it's certainly arguable that ME2 is the pure zenith of gaming technology. It's up there, for sure, but so is Uncharted 2, but in the way your paragraph is worded, you dimiss it as a technical equal to ME2 because it's too linear, which doesn't make any sense. 

You seem to be making more of a case for ME2 as the best game ever made than the best technical achievement, and there's quite a difference there.  I'd say you're quite right to bring up Crysis, because that's pretty much what I thought of it: amazing technical achievement--graphics, sound, lighting, framerate--but a mediocre game.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
    @Flaime said:

"I think Wolfenstein 3D is the most technically impressive game ever made. "

That's a very good point. The OP should have said 'this generation.'

I think AD&D: Neverwinter Nights (the 1991 game, not the sort of more recent one) is the most technically impressive game to date.
    Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FakePlasticTree

In my opinion God Of War 3 blows Mass Effect 2 out of the water, visually. I consider ME2 better in almost every other aspect, but as far as graphics go GoW3 is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. 

Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Tasus
    @AnimZero: If so, then he should have said that Gears of War or UT3 is the most technically impressive game of all time, since that's the engine that runs Mass Effect (ME2 might run on a newer version of course). OP should have said "the most artistically impressive game of all time", that would be a quite different talk.

Also, this :

@frankfartmouth said:

"You mention a lot of things that really aren't technical, like size and scope. One of the biggest, longest games I've played to this day is Dragon Warrior 7, which was a technical piece of garbage. It seems like you might be factoring a few too many of those things in, cause it's certainly arguable that ME2 is the pure zenith of gaming technology. It's up there, for sure, but so is Uncharted 2, but in the way your paragraph is worded, you dimiss it as a technical equal to ME2 because it's too linear, which doesn't make any sense. 

You seem to be making more of a case for ME2 as the best game ever made than the best technical achievement"

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimbo

I think UC2 looks a lot better then ME2, but you're right that the scope of each game counts for a lot and ought to be taken into account.  There is a lot of UC2 that you never interact with, backgrounds that don't need to be dynamically lit and so on.

I'll give animation to UC2, cinematography to ME2 and graphical prowess to Crysis, still.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Ineedaname

Jacob ruins ME2 for me, he animates weird, it's mainly his eyes.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#25  Edited By BeachThunder

Honestly, I think it's a stretch to call ME2 the "most technically impressive game ever made", there are just so many others that could be labeled as such. 
    The graphics were "artisticly brillint", how so? To me they were good, above average perhaps, but I definitely wouldn't say brilliant; there are certainty more artistically brilliant games around. Also, having artistic graphics doesn't necessarily relate to technical prowess.

It's a great game, sure, but I would say so for different reasons. To me the best parts of ME2 (and ME1) are the setting, the characters and its general thought-provoking nature.

And I'm pretty sure Spore had a much larger size and scope =/

EliteShadowDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EliteShadowDog
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    "

Yes this is the only thing that makes it not perfect. Other wise it is a perfect game technically. And to the other poster above you must see it on a nice big HD TV it looks amazing.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @EliteShadowDog said:
    "

Yes this is the only thing that makes it not perfect. Other wise it is a perfect game technically. And to the other poster above you must see it on a nice big HD TV it looks amazing. "
    You are free to think what you want. But it is apparent not everyone agrees with you...
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

Ha ha ha, Mass Effect 2? Eh, no... You can't compare Crysis or Uncharted 2 -shakes head- The only thing you can say might be better is the art design between games, other than that. "technically" Mass Effect 2 hardly surpasses the original one, only better frame rate and moves a little bit better. This is unbias as well. I like Mass Effect 2 a lot. But you can't be serious about the graphics when it comes to being the best or near. It looks great, just not as great as Crysis or Uncharted 2. Damn, I hate defending Uncharted 2 also. It's just so obvious though. Oh, and Crysis has awesome gameplay! But THAT, is a matter of opinion, the graphics aspect are a matter of fact. Ha ha.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jeffsekai

Crysis is sitting in 2007 laughing at these claims.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By sopranosfan

I think that Uncharted 2 and Mass Effect 2 both look great and arguing about which looks better comes down to personal preference.  I personally think the characters look better in Mass Effect and the scenery and background looks better in Uncharted but that is my opinion.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho

Ahaha. Let this be a lesson to you, devs, you want goobers to throw out hyperbole for your game make a slightly better looking shooter with RPG elements than the last guy.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By ptys
    @EliteShadowDog: Hey man, I'm the biggest ME2 fan (favorite game of all time) but Uncharted 2 looks better visually. It's almost mind blowing how slick that game looks. Sure they have different art styles, but I'm hoping Casey Hudson and the gang take on some of inspiration from the polish those guys produced for ME3, then it would be unbeatable! Also I'm currently playing Final Fantasy 13 and that is pretty amazing as well. Mass Effect is great, but it's not the best looking game unfortunately.
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Garrus

I believe Morrowind is one freaking awesome as hell game.

Mass Effect 1 I feel achieved more than Mass Effect 2 to be honest. Mass Effect 2 felt a little bit too dumbed down in ways.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

What is this? I don't even . . . 

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rateoforange
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @rateoforange said:
    " Uncharted 2 is probably the most 'technically impressive' because of the ways Naughty Dog managed to leverage the cell, which is a mystery to practically everyone else. Which one looks better is much more subjective. "

No Caption Provided
    Best lookin game EVAR!  "
    Smartass. It was a qualified statement, not an absolute one.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Crysis character models not that great? i'll be happy to challenge that claim against mass effect 2. Still mass effect 2 does look great, still crysis on very high settings is still the best looking game ever made dispite what these media review sites tries to pretend it doesn't exist, yet mass effect 2 does run alot faster and I do like the gameplay.

Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

I think the reason why ME2 is the most technically impressive game of all time is because it's a Unreal Engine 3 game that does not look like an UE3 game at all.  No pop-in, no meaty monsters, no gross looking characters.  

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @rateoforange said:
    " @rateoforange said:

No Caption Provided
    Best lookin game EVAR!  "
    Smartass. It was a qualified statement, not an absolute one. "
    I was making fun of the OP not you. Lol 
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JoelTGM

If you've played games like God of War 3, Uncharted 2, or Crysis, you'd understand why you're wrong.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AuthenticM
    @EliteShadowDog said:
    " I don't think you can find a more piece of perfection anywhere on any system better then ME2. "
    You absolutely can. They are called Uncharted 2 and God of War 3; and both are PS3 exclusives.
    EliteShadowDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EliteShadowDog
    @AuthenticM said:
    " @EliteShadowDog said:
    " I don't think you can find a more piece of perfection anywhere on any system better then ME2. "
    You absolutely can. They are called Uncharted 2 and God of War 3; and both are PS3 exclusives. "
    My point is they are small levels and linear. Look at even GOW3 you can not even turn the camera to look around. It's all scripted so it is way more easy to make those games have great graphics. As a whole package level size game size and content and artistic and animation. And being especially if you load ME2 to the 360 Hard Drive it runs smooth as silk very seamless. As a whole entire package i think ME2 has the edge.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @EliteShadowDog said:

" @AuthenticM said:

" @EliteShadowDog said:

You absolutely can. They are called Uncharted 2 and God of War 3; and both are PS3 exclusives. "
    My point is they are small levels and linear. Look at even GOW3 you can not even turn the camera to look around. It's all scripted so it is way more easy to make those games have great graphics. As a whole package level size game size and content and artistic and animation. And being especially if you load ME2 to the 360 Hard Drive it runs smooth as silk very seamless. As a whole entire package i think ME2 has the edge. "
    ME2 is Linear....do not let the " You can pick the planet" Fool you. You are lead down a very narrow path the entire time. Also a lot of ME2 was fluff. The planet scanning bit was very annoying.  

You are free to think ME2 is the god of games. However you need to be ready to accept what others have to say and at least try to make up a better argument. 
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By OmegaPirate

Can we please stop feeding Dr_cash >_>

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By meteora

I believe Superman 64 is the most technically impressive game ever made.

Because I don't think any other game has been so broken on a technical level.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#45  Edited By Atlas

I think it's quite hard to argue with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as the most technically impressive game of all-time. In 1998 those graphics were absolutely phenomenal, and the game completely revolutionised 3D character control. No game has ever overcome the limitations of its control scheme more effectively that the LoZ games for the N64. Not to mention the dungeon design, sound design and world design were all incredible, and that game was just on another level.

Honorary mentions go to Soulcalibur for delivering a graphically stunning and super smooth fighting engine the likes of which no one had seen before, Metal Gear Solid 2 for working within the constraints of the PS2's relatively limited graphical power to create an absolutely phenomenal looking and well handling game, Half-Life 2 for it's ability to provide a truly cinematic and engaging FPS experience without the use of cutscenes, and Dead Space for being a virtually seamless technical experience with some of the best sound design you will ever find in a video game.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Dany

I love Mass Effect 2 but hte worlds feel and are small, the combat 'zones' are small and honestly not open. Firefights are 3 against 10 in a tight small corridor, I want 30 against 100!

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bubahula

mass effect 2 is one of my favorite games. but this thread is not going to end well, and you must have known that when you made it.

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dantheman1515

I think that Uncharted 2 is better in terms of graphics. But Mass Effect 2 is the best game this generation.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DystopiaX

I believe the OP and half the people in this thread have no idea what "technical graphics" really are. 

edit: I also believe that the OP included the linearity of UC2 into a discussion about the technical merits of a game. As most people probably know, gameplay design has nothing to do with how impressive the engine and such is.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#50  Edited By Atlas
    @DystopiaX:  I think the general tone of this thread is much broader than just which game has the most stable engine. By that logic, inFamous should be considered because that game has virtually no load screens, runs at a smooth frame rate and looks pretty good. Hell, I was close to suggesting that The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is technically one of the best games of all-time. Sure, the frame rate and load times were terrible, but the sound design, world design, art style and the depth of the game were impressive on a level that very few games have ever come close to matching.

Also, no game can win any sort of technical awards when the entire combat relies on the presence of chest-high walls. That is a game design trait that needs to fucking die. It just makes combat so damn predictable and one-dimensional.

Mass Effect 2 is a really cool game, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.