Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

It's Time to Let Them Be Counted

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

Here's a letter I sent along to Bioware, using the information on this page:

Hello.

I'm surprised, given the strong critical and player response to the female Shepard in Mass Effect, that Mass Effect 2 is still being marketed with only cursory mention of there being another gender option for the main character, and that the character is voiced by Jennifer Hale.  

Jennifer Hale's work was very strong, and she deserved the praise she got.  She sold her part better than most other voice work in video games up to now, and there are quite a few players, women and men, who think of Shepard as HER.  

It would only benefit the sales of Mass Effect 2 to have a kick-ass female trailer leading up to, or perhaps a little after, game launch.  Something that emphasizes the differences, focuses on the voice acting, and has her being just as tough as the male Shepard is, but utilizing scenes we haven't seen yet.

There is a SIGNIFICANT disenfranchised group of female gamers out there who are waiting for a mainstream producer to acknowledge their presence, and many cite the female Shepard when talking about portrayals of characters that they identify with or find empowering.  Be proud of the work you've done! Just imagine if Bioware was known as the company that lead the charge to open up this under-represented market.

Thank you for your time,
    [yours truly]

This was inspired by my continued consternation mentioned in the first complete paragraph of the letter above, as well as this interview with Jennifer Hale at Destructoid.  This isn't a big deal to people who are getting the game anyway, and yeah, it's a slow process realizing there are people who would want to choose a female character (and it goes without saying that there are more important issues in this world in general), but why not give the process a push now and then?  I did manage to see the female Shepard for a split second in one of their latest videos, but c'mon.  Are the only female Shepard trailers going to be fan-made? 

(Don't watch this one unless you've beaten the first game):

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Here's a letter I sent along to Bioware, using the information on this page:

Hello.

I'm surprised, given the strong critical and player response to the female Shepard in Mass Effect, that Mass Effect 2 is still being marketed with only cursory mention of there being another gender option for the main character, and that the character is voiced by Jennifer Hale.  

Jennifer Hale's work was very strong, and she deserved the praise she got.  She sold her part better than most other voice work in video games up to now, and there are quite a few players, women and men, who think of Shepard as HER.  

It would only benefit the sales of Mass Effect 2 to have a kick-ass female trailer leading up to, or perhaps a little after, game launch.  Something that emphasizes the differences, focuses on the voice acting, and has her being just as tough as the male Shepard is, but utilizing scenes we haven't seen yet.

There is a SIGNIFICANT disenfranchised group of female gamers out there who are waiting for a mainstream producer to acknowledge their presence, and many cite the female Shepard when talking about portrayals of characters that they identify with or find empowering.  Be proud of the work you've done! Just imagine if Bioware was known as the company that lead the charge to open up this under-represented market.

Thank you for your time,
    [yours truly]

This was inspired by my continued consternation mentioned in the first complete paragraph of the letter above, as well as this interview with Jennifer Hale at Destructoid.  This isn't a big deal to people who are getting the game anyway, and yeah, it's a slow process realizing there are people who would want to choose a female character (and it goes without saying that there are more important issues in this world in general), but why not give the process a push now and then?  I did manage to see the female Shepard for a split second in one of their latest videos, but c'mon.  Are the only female Shepard trailers going to be fan-made? 

(Don't watch this one unless you've beaten the first game):

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I imagine it has to do with PR. The default shepard is male, after all, and video games are a male dominated audience. However, I agree with you that they should at least acknowledge that you can play as a female more than they have been.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " I imagine it has to do with PR. The default shepard is male, after all, and video games are a male dominated audience. However, I agree with you that they should at least acknowledge that you can play as a female more than they have been. "
    Agreed. It would be cool to have, say, them alternating between "John" and "Jane"'s face and voice when Shepard is speaking in a trailer.

I'm just an "always play as a dude" kind of dude, though, so I'm an outsider looking in on this one.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I've read on these forums and others that some males do like to play as female characters. For them, it seemed to be the true role-playing experience. I need to venture out and play more diverse roles in games myself. Propaganda works and if they were so inclined to showcase the female version, I might be swayed. Nice letter, I wonder if they will respond.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Cornman89

I disagree that showcasing femShep would have a significant effect on sales. From a marketing perspective, I imagine doing so would even be considered antithetical to selling a product - not necessarily by virtue of her being female, but simply because it's fairly common and well-advised to associate your product with a singular, easily recognizable symbol, and the male default Shepard, like it or not, is exactly that. Why that symbol can't be femShep, instead of the male, has more to do with targeting certain market segments.

Now, if we're talking what's politically correct and what's not, that's another story. But purely in terms of selling their product as best they can, I think Bioware and EA are doing exactly the right thing for ME. You are, of course, more than welcome to your opinion, and I'm sure Bioware appreciates your enthusiasm and conviction as a fan.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, I am in what I guess is the minority (?) that really enjoyed Mark Meer's exaggerated heroism and found Jennifer Hale's work a bit flat.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Cornman89: I don't give a fuck about political correctness (I'm still not sure anyone but a few loons actually do, depending on your definition, (and those vary)), but beyond talking market stuff (I haven't yet met two economists who agree on much) I know of a lot of people out there who would love to see a female Shepard trailer, people who might have been on the fence about sinking coin into a new game.  

As far a single trailer scaring people away, I think if you think in linear, TV terms, maybe, but the internet is more plug-and-play, so if you have someone else on screen, maybe not called Shepard, but just Jane, you get people intrigued about this heretofore unknown character, while others realize it's the lead. Most people who watch those trailers probably already want the game, so maybe it's a wash, but while I see the possibility of it affecting sales negatively I don't buy the argument as being a foregone conclusion, myself, and I know there are tons of gals out there who will look at that as just another guy's game and pass without realizing they could pick an avatar that would better suit them.  Naturally not all gals care, but many of the ones I know do.

For me, Meer's voicework didn't fit the [default] face, as shallow as that sounds.  Maybe it was a bit too nasal for me, or maybe it didn't fit the military folks I know:  after they'd been in a while, they tend to sound a lot more like Hale's restrained, even tone.  What you heard as flat sounded more in line to me with a hardened military commander.  I think it also has to do with what you've been exposed to, since sticking with Meer's voice acting throughout the whole thing probably would have made it grow on me more.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

Male Shepard is canon. So obviously they will put him in the trailers.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Claude: I'll let you know if they do respond.  I doubt they'll respond personally, but if I ever come across a trailer I'll at least post it on the blog :)  As far as customization, I tend to try just about every option and see what fits my mood.  It's one thing to just think about it, it's another just trying it out.

@Bigandtasty:

I know some gals who are "always play as a chick".  I guess if there was any such trailer it might get their attention.  Hell, even a targeted banner ad would be nice, as long as they didn't hit the nail too squarely on the head about their attempts to target women, though.

I guess it sounds a bit cynical to take the consumer appeal angle, but I didn't think "It'd be rad" would make as much sense :)

@ArbitraryWater: Yeah, that's pretty much it.  I understand if a bunch of kids might get scared away from a game they might see, or their friends might see, as compromising to their developing identities, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to at least show the pragmatic possibilities of character creation beyond the armor makeup feature (which I think is cool actually, but I wonder if you could just turn it off and have different armor styles relative to type).
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @CL60: I thought they pretty much said there was no "canon" in the podcast here on the site, since there's a bunch of ways the game can turn out, including Shepard getting iced at the end. 

Maybe you mean default?  Yeah, he's default, and I would expect his image to get the most play.  But it's a bit hilarious to me that the most you see of his alter-ego is less than a second of footage.  I'll see if I can dig it up.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60
    @ahoodedfigure said:
    " @CL60: I thought they pretty much said there was no "canon" in the podcast here on the site, since there's a bunch of ways the game can turn out, including Shepard getting iced at the end.  "
    For the most part there is no canon, but some basic things are indeed canon.
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheKidNixon

As others have said, the issue has more to do with packaging and marketing than it does with any sort of attempt to reach out to a particular demographic. Essentially, the marketing team felt to have a sci-fi epic where you play a central, galaxy-saving character, it is worthwhile to have that character on the front of your box. So default "John" Shepard appears on the cover and in the advertising for the first game. That face is still being used as the promotional front of the game. 

Of course, the interesting comparison is how Dragon Age was packaged and sold. The rather striking red blood splatter image on white background I think is very effective and also side-steps the whole issue of having a central character having a default appearance, allowing you that sense of creating the hero. The fact that game has that much more customization in how the character looks (six possibilities between three races and two genders, rather than two genders of the same race) may have led to the decision to do exactly what you're talking about, providing multiple examples of what the lead character could be with no specific definition of what it should be. 

My fear, however, is that BioWare is too far down the well now as far Mass Effect is concerned to really about face. As an example, imagine two years from now we get our first trailer for ME3, and it shows geth boarding a ship or some other dramatic moment. All hope seems lost, until the crew of Normandy comes to the rescue, led by "Jane" Shepard. While the moment would be thrilling and fist-pumping for FemShepard players out there (myself included), it also could be disarming and jarring given the marketing thus far. While there is no official "canon" as far as how the games turn out or who Shepard actually is (the books are especially clever in writing around this), the commercials have established "This is what Shepard looks like. This is what he looks like, and when we announce the next game, this is the dude who'll be on magazine covers, in commercials, etc." 

One final note: I disagree that having a female Shepard would have a signficant increase in the number of interested players, regardless of their gender. I'd be interested in seeing, for example, if Metroid games have a siginifcantly higher number of female players, or if the Alien or Terminator film series have especially faithful female followings. They all include strong female lead characters in otherwise typical science fiction worlds, but I don't see that one aspect as pulling in a vast number of people who'd disregard it otherwise. My inclination is that anyone who is interested in violent sci-fi fare is going to be drawn into Mass Effect regardless of if the main character's gender or sexual orientation. The additional benefit of "Hey, I can be an ass-kicking chick instead of the meathead dude in all the commercials" is an additional boon I feel rather than a bullet-point that is going to encourage anyone who isn't already interested.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @TheKidNixon: That's true.  I didn't think about it before, but I guess Dragon Age never really had a single central character design they were sporting.  Of course, the game lets you pick race, social class, and profession, so that customization would make that more difficult.  So it was more the dragon that was the mascot, I guess. 

As far as expecting an about face...  I didn't say that.  I know that in blog replies we're sort of expected to talk about thesis and antithesis, but my basic idea was some play, like an isolated trailer off to the side, rather than nothing.  Me, I just want to see how they've updated her facial textures.  You get to see all the cool scars on the dude, was wondering how detailed it looks for her.

With Metroid it's a bit late, given that the old NES game established her as her, and did it at the END, when even the folks marketing the game thought it was a guy.  

As far as vast numbers, I don't know, but I know individuals who were inspired, or identified with the female leads.  

I dunno how it would turn out if they did give her, what, a trailer, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway since I know others who are clamoring for it :)

Incidentally, just how were they clever about hiding customization features in the Mass Effect novels?  I haven't read them.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

I agree that the male Shepard is canon just as the default settings for Mass Effect 2 will be canon, however that doesn't change the possibility of other portrayals.  This is an RPG and that means that the player is encouraged to make their own choices along the way with new and different results from what is official canon.  Highlighting those opportunites should have occurred to someone at EA/Bioware marketing during this big advertising push.  I know that I have played through the game three times and each time, Shepard is a female for me.  I like the idea of a strong woman in a command position and that's still a rarity in gaming.  So, when I see the trailers for Mass Effect 2, with the high polish they put into them, I can't help but feel as if I am watching another game entirely.  I have no connection to that Shepard.  I don't know if varying it up would increase sales or invite more female gamers to try ME, but I do believe it would have re-enforced the idea that this is your (the player) story to tell, not Bioware's.  It should feel like there is a difference between Mass Effect 2 and Uncharted 2, and that difference represented in the choices the player makes along the way. 

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thehexeditor

The behind the scenes 30~ min documentary that was included with my digital deluxe edition has seconds of jennifer hale's sentence or so on her character (as the recently released dev diary had only mark meer giving a sentence on male shepard). I'll try to upload said footage, it's only seconds long.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @PenguinDust: You bring up an angle I didn't think about, which is that since quite a few people actually played through with "Jane," they identify with that character depiction better.  I'm sure most of those folks will be repeat buyers, but I imagine there's at least a chance some of those players will feel alienated, however irrational that reaction probably is.  

And I think you're right that it's still about customization, although the options are obviously nothing like Dragon Age's. 

What's interesting, and I think I should have mentioned this somewhere, is that Mass Effect's central character seems more present than the one in Dragon Age, at least in my opinion, by virtue of the voice work.  It actually feels like another character because of the voicework, moreso than the extension-of-one's-self that text options tend to engender in me.
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By Atlas

Male Shepard is canon, and I'm sure to the average consumer, having the main character be presented in two different forms representing each gender would be very confusing. However, it is definitely bad form on part of BioWare for not realising that the female Shepard is the only real way to play the Mass Effect games. Jennifer Hale is a tremendous voice actress, and does deserve recognition. With that in mind, the smartest thing they could have done for Mass Effect is to not feature Shepard in the promotional materials, like they did with Dragon Age. Instead, focus on Miranda, Jacob, Tali, Garrus and the rest of the crew.

Lucy Shepard ftw

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ

BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk talks about this on the latest episode of Kotaku Talk Radio, so you could listen to that for some answers...

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @thehexeditor: Cool, let me know if you do. You have a copy now, or is that video something separate?

Regarding the footage in the N7 Dev Diary there's a couple seconds of Jane getting thrown around in what I assume to be the opening scene. 

The best coverage of Hale that I've seen so far is in the link to Destructoid in my article.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By ArchScabby

It would be confusing if they kept showing commercials of someone called commander Shepard, sometimes being a guy and sometimes being a girl.

And it might be kinda stupid, but having a main character that's a girl would turn off a lot of guys, and if they didn't know that you could actually have a guy or girl it might even stop them from buying the game.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @FluxWaveZ: Thanks, I'll check it out.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ArchScabby said:
    " And it might be kinda stupid, but having a main character that's a girl would turn off a lot of guys, and if they didn't know that you could actually have a guy or girl it might even stop them from buying the game. "
    I don't recall anyone complaining about that with Beyond Good & Evil and Mirror's Edge.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @ArchScabby: Yeah, that's one of the things in the back of my mind.  It's weird how it all breaks down.  I wonder just how many people will be starting out with ME2 instead of starting with ME1 first.  From the early reviews it even looks like ME2 might be a bit confusing without knowing a lot of what went on in the first game.

@Atlas: That would be an interesting angle, but I think that Shepard is, for better or worse, much more prominent because of the voice work than in Dragon Age.  I've not played or even seen Dragon Age, so I don't know how central your main character is as far as story, but when you have a close up of Shepard emoting it definitely makes that character useful in promotional videos.

I've noticed in general that people have their pet and hated characters in Dragon Age, and while you get that in Mass Effect 2 as well, you also get people praising Meer and Hale, and getting behind the role you play, whatever it is you happened to do during the game.   Still, I guess there are other folks that feel like they identify less because this particular role is so specific.
    George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By George_Hukas

I'm all for showcasing Jennifer Hale's work on the game, but I don't think its a big deal the game is being marketed that way.

I know many created a female character who's appearance is drastically different from the default Shepard look - but what about the male characters that feel the same way? My Shepard is old, balding gray haired man and every time I see the ME2 boxart I wonder who the hell is that guy?

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @FluxWaveZ: Unfortunately, Beyond didn't get good sales, but I think most of the folks that actually played that think people avoiding it was a crime. :)  It did a good job and managed to be about more than just clever mechanics. 

And while Mirror's Edge didn't do great, I think that was more a problem with the press and word-of-mouth it got after release regarding the gameplay.

I don't know too many players, myself, who'd reject a game just because of the gender of the protagonist, but I do know a few.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thehexeditor

Femshep lovers will have to wait some minutes, I have to convert/edit/upload said footage.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Binman88

Why would they want to confuse consumers by referring to a male and female Shepard in their ads? They chose to use male Shephard and stuck with it. The option to play as a female is there if you want it. They don't advertise the ability to play as either gender, because that's not really a major selling point of the game. Nor should it be.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27  Edited By Geno

Strong female leads in any media format are always interesting, but in addition to that I enjoyed playing female Shepard in ME1 because well, the stock male character looks like Homer Simpson. 

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ArchScabby
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    " And it might be kinda stupid, but having a main character that's a girl would turn off a lot of guys, and if they didn't know that you could actually have a guy or girl it might even stop them from buying the game. "
    I don't recall anyone complaining about that with Beyond Good & Evil and Mirror's Edge. "
    I'm not saying a game is destined to fail with a female protagonist, or that most guys are like that, very few are, but I have met some people who are.  It really has no rational reason, I guess they think they are less manly, or people will think they are perverts and only playing it because it's a girl.  Just games with lead female characters tend to sell less.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @cide: Good point as well.  You wouldn't by any chance have a screenshot of that guy, do you?  That sounds like a good set of choices.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thehexeditor

Enjoy:  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.