Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect and Bioware is it just me or...

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DonPixel

Is it just me or Bioware is pushing to hard to make Dragon Age it´s flagship franchise while Mass Effect is way better..  
    Don´t get me wrong i lke Dragon Age, but IMO is not nearly as good as ME.. also as far as i understand ME is more sucessesfull..  

whay you guys think? should bioware put more resources into DLC expansions and secuels or am I imagine things?

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By nexas

Dragon Age outsold ME2.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Mass Effect 3 is a ways away, Dragon Age 2 is in six months.  MARKETING.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They are different games for different people, really. Dragon Age is a much more traditional Bioware fantasy RPG, whereas the Mass Effect games (especially ME2) are pretty close to being a third-person shooters with very prominent RPG elements. But either way, there is a new Dragon Age coming out very soon, but the next ME is a long way off. That's why there are differences in marketing.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Nexas said:
    " Dragon Age outsold ME2. "
    Dragon Age was also out on more platforms. 
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Three0neFive
    @MattyFTM said:
    " They are different games for different people, really. Dragon Age is a much more traditional Bioware fantasy RPG, whereas the Mass Effect games (especially ME2) are pretty close to being a third-person shooters with very prominent RPG elements."
    Maybe at first, but now they're both run-of-the-mill action games with heavy dating sim elements. :/
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By phrosnite

Dragon Age IS better than Mass Effect and ME2, not to mention that it's their most successful game. Dragon Age is Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect is KotOR. 
    I really, really, really hope DA2 is even better.

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nexas
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " @Nexas said:
    Dragon Age was also out on more platforms.  "
    Which is why ME2 is coming to PS3.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Nexas: Correct. 
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Undeadpool

They're both great (having played both an AWFUL lot), so I don't see what the problem is. Either way Bioware continues to put out awesome RPGs.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By phrosnite
    @Nexas said:

" @RE_Player92 said:

" @Nexas said:

Which is why ME2 is coming to PS3. "
    But I don't think it will sell over 1 million units. Dragon Age sold 3.2mill in its first two months... so far it has sold min 4 million and when the Ultimate Edition comes out 1 mill min. Hell I will buy the Ultimate even though I have both DA:O and DA:A but haven't play played the DLCs. EA will release the new numbers probably in January...

@HaltIamReptar said:

" Mass Effect 3 is a ways away, Dragon Age 2 is in six months.  MARKETING. "

Dragon Age has been in development since 2005 (annouced in 2006) and I pretty sure they have enough material for the sequel.
    Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I've played both to death and although I prefer ME because of the fiction, I prefer DA because of deep traditional rpg gameplay.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Its all a matter of perspective, I prefer Dragon Age to Mass Effect, but yes I think their pushing it more since its more of a traditional RPG. 
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Garrus

I think Dragon Age is only appearing this way because of the fact it's Bioware's newest or one of their newer franchises. They only want it to get a good start, but I do feel that they're focusing the attention more on it. That said, I feel like it's that way, but I don't want to say bad about Bioware since they're probably pondering more DLC ideas right now for ME2. 

I've not had any experience with Dragon Age but my guess is that DLC is easier to make for it, the game takes longer to play due to it's nature (Shooter based combat is often fast paced nowadays). As well as the above factors, it may be outselling but there could well be many more reasons a marketting expert who is a gamer, could probably tell you.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I dont think for any of them to be their "flagship franchise", they are putting a lot of effort and resources into both of them but EA is doing all the advertising and to be honest I dont see how you came to the conclusion they are planning that either of them will be their main franchise.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DonPixel
    @Undeadpool said:

" They're both great (having played both an AWFUL lot), so I don't see what the problem is. Either way Bioware continues to put out awesome RPGs. "

There´s no problem I just think ther´s more potential in ME than DA  I do think it´s a better product regardless of the diferent target their aimed to, it is a personal opinion, anyway i think they doing a good job with both. 

My comment is focus on why is Bioware pushing DAO so hard, they clearly waste more resources for DAO: more marketing, developement and they even made a propietary engine for it so they can make DLC faster, still while it is good i do thing the general felling in the gamming world about the game it´s no so great, just read reviews and cmon play the game it´s good but mhee lore is boring and generic ther´s no single memorable character for that series so far...  and the list goes on

just the fact that the "Baldur´s Gate spiritual succesor thing" it´s being one of its greatest selling point kinda make me wonder, trully great franchises don´t need that kind of "marketing"
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DonPixel
    @Garrus said:

I've not had any experience with Dragon Age but my guess is that DLC is easier to make for it    

Dragon Age uses a Bioware propietary engine they develop, aparently to make development cycles and DLC faster, while ME uses unreal engine.     
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Driadon

wat? The main teams for each game are working in studios across the country from eachother. Both are working hard to get their games out at a time that EA would most appreciate it.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By FreakAche
    @phrosnite said:
    " Dragon Age IS better than Mass Effect and ME2, not to mention that it's their most successful game. Dragon Age is Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect is KotOR.  I really, really, really hope DA2 is even better. "
    But from everything we've heard, Dragon Age 2 is basically going to be Dragon Age, Mass Effect-ified.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Undeadpool
    @DonPixel said:
    " @Undeadpool said:

" They're both great (having played both an AWFUL lot), so I don't see what the problem is. Either way Bioware continues to put out awesome RPGs. "

There´s no problem I just think ther´s more potential in ME than DA  I do think it´s a better product regardless of the diferent target their aimed to, it is a personal opinion, anyway i think they doing a good job with both.     My comment is focus on why is Bioware pushing DAO so hard, they clearly waste more resources for DAO: more marketing, developement and they even made a propietary engine for it so they can make DLC faster, still while it is good i do thing the general felling in the gamming world about the game it´s no so great, just read reviews and cmon play the game it´s good but mhee lore is boring and generic ther´s no single memorable character for that series so far...  and the list goes on  just the fact that the "Baldur´s Gate spiritual succesor thing" it´s being one of its greatest selling point kinda make me wonder, trully great franchises don´t need that kind of "marketing" "
    Honestly? A fantasy RPG isn't as easy to sell as an RPG with guns. Plus DA2 is coming out very, very soon. I guarantee you after its out and ME3 is announced, the marketing efforts will shift pretty radically.
    TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TorMasturba

It'd be kind of silly for EA to get the Hype bandwagon rolling down the hill yet for every tom, dick and sally to jump on board the ME 3 express. 
    I mean hype and humanity both don't work like that. 
    People start to get bored when they're hyped up for a game way too early. It's almost counter-productive. 
    They feel burned when they start looking forward to a game that has a close release date that then gets pushed back. 

Time the hype-machine start-up correctly however and sales for release day will normally triple because people can't stop thinking about how cool the trailer looked and what sorts of things you can do in the game. 
    They haven't come down off their hype high yet. 

So don't get angry, get informed. 

Did I just type the above line of text? (Somebody shoot me!)

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By maxszy

They both have their own places. Don't think you need to worry about where they're headed.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I dunno, Dragon Age is the big thing now because we actually know information about Dragon Age 2, whereas we know nothing about Mass Effect 3 yet, but remember back before Mass Effect 2 was released? The ad campaign for that game was pretty huge. EA have big marketing budgets and I'm sure they'll put plenty of money towards hyping both games. Since the games are so successful but so dissimilar it seems inadvisable for them to make one of them their flagship product.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Nexas said:
    " @RE_Player92 said:
    " @Nexas said:
    Which is why ME2 is coming to PS3. "
    But wait, isn't PC gaming dead?????

LOL. 
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I trust Bioware.

Ok not that much anymore after that "Fans! The wait is over! Have a PS3 edition!" bullshit but hey, they make great products.
    I'm just hoping I can enjoy ME3/DA2 without having to pre-order at 50 stores to get armor/weapons/dlc/whatever.

(Not like most of those pre-order bonusses ever make it to Europe >.>)

Pumpeho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pumpeho

Why have one flagship, when you can have two?

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By haggis
    Honestly, I thought that Dragon Age was just okay. ME2 really grabbed me in a way Dragon Age didn't. They are very different games, despite the obvious similarities. Don't get me wrong: Dragon Age 2 is going to be a day one pickup for me, but I'm not as excited about it as I will be for ME2. 

@Nexas:  If ME2 sells a million on the PS3, it will reach essential parity with Dragon Age sales. But it's impossible to really compare the two's sales given ME2's split release. Either way, I don't really get the competition over sales that seems to crop up so often with these two games. They both sold very well. Both were received well critically. We all agree that Bioware kicks ass, pretty much, when it comes to these games.

@FreakAche: A "Mass Effect-ified" Dragon Age 2 could be great ... or not. Mass Effect's UI is definitely the direction things seem to be going, but they'd better not follow ME2's trajectory toward a more "lite" style of RPG play. :/
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By melcene
    @Undeadpool said:
    Honestly? A fantasy RPG isn't as easy to sell as an RPG with guns. Plus DA2 is coming out very, very soon. I guarantee you after its out and ME3 is announced, the marketing efforts will shift pretty radically. "
    Really?  I'd definitely have to disagree with this.  Granted, it all depends on the game/franchise, but that's such a hell of a generalization to make.  But I'll lay odds that the big fantasy RPG names out there can outsell the big shooter RPG names easily.  While many people are tired of the traditional fantasy setting, there are just as many, maybe more, who find themselves more comfortable in the traditional fantasy setting. 

However, I will totally agree that marketing efforts will shift as ME3 gets closer to release.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Undeadpool
    @melcene said:
    " @Undeadpool said:
    Honestly? A fantasy RPG isn't as easy to sell as an RPG with guns. Plus DA2 is coming out very, very soon. I guarantee you after its out and ME3 is announced, the marketing efforts will shift pretty radically. "
    Really?  I'd definitely have to disagree with this.  Granted, it all depends on the game/franchise, but that's such a hell of a generalization to make.  But I'll lay odds that the big fantasy RPG names out there can outsell the big shooter RPG names easily.  While many people are tired of the traditional fantasy setting, there are just as many, maybe more, who find themselves more comfortable in the traditional fantasy setting.  However, I will totally agree that marketing efforts will shift as ME3 gets closer to release. "
    I believe I may have been misunderstood. What I meant is that in the wake of games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and the Halo franchise, selling people who don't normally play RPGs on playing an RPG would be easier if that RPG were in a setting with lots of guns (either modern or futuristic) as opposed to a sword-and-sorcery fantasy setting. Though to your other point, I'm one of those people getting tired of fantasy settings. Alpha Protocol's failure will probably doom any plans for a contemporary setting RPG for the near future, but I'm hoping somebody else picks up that ball and runs with it. They could even do it more whimsically like Earthbound, the game I can't go a week without posting about.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By melcene
    @Undeadpool said:
     What I meant is that in the wake of games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and the Halo franchise, selling people who don't normally play RPGs on playing an RPG would be easier if that RPG were in a setting with lots of guns (either modern or futuristic) as opposed to a sword-and-sorcery fantasy setting. 
    Agreed.  I think that's one of the reasons Borderlands did so well.   That and because RPGs seem to go one of two ways:  traditional fantasy or sci-fi space settings.  Borderlands did neither of those, plus appealed to people who prefer shooters to RPGs.
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dtat

I liked ME and ME2 more than I am liking Dragon Age. That's not to say dragon age isn't awesome! I can see your point about this to some extent. It feels like Bioware is pushing Dragon Age pretty hard right now, but I think thaat's just because they're close closer to the release of Dragon Age 2 than ME3. Also I think Bioware identifies more with high fantasy than Sci Fi just in their history, what with Baldur's gate being kind of their breakout. Maybe they're trying to reestablish fantasy as their lead genre to pull back in any Baldur's gate fans that haven't already returned to them. Just a thought.

darkwingduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By darkwingduck

i also liked mass effect more.  
    But as people pointed out, me3 is not coming out anytime soon since they have to find a way to make all the decisions from me1 and 2 matter this time around in order for us fans to be happy (assuming of course that they care about us) 

da2 is coming soon and thus is getting all of the spotlight 

also :
    @FreakAche
    said: 

But from everything we've heard, Dragon Age 2 is basically going to be Dragon Age, Mass Effect-ified. "      
    sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sjosz

@Driadon said:

" wat? The main teams for each game are working in studios across the country from eachother. Both are working hard to get their games out at a time that EA would most appreciate it. "

@Driadon:  Uh, nope. The teams for DA and Mass Effect are both in the same building in Edmonton.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Driadon
    @Sjosz said:

"
    @Driadon said:

" wat? The main teams for each game are working in studios across the country from eachother. Both are working hard to get their games out at a time that EA would most appreciate it. "

@Driadon:  Uh, nope. The teams for DA and Mass Effect are both in the same building in Edmonton. "
    Then, unless the project teams have totally changed since a year ago, I was lied to by their senior programmer. 

Edit: Huh, guess he must have not known too much outside of his working on Mass Effect. This article proved me wrong.
    sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sjosz
    @Driadon said:
    " @Sjosz said:

"
    @Driadon said:

@Driadon:  Uh, nope. The teams for DA and Mass Effect are both in the same building in Edmonton. "
    Then, unless the project teams have totally changed since a year ago, I was lied to by their senior programmer. 

Edit: Huh, guess he must have not known too much outside of his working on Mass Effect. This article proved me wrong. "
    I was going to say, as a designer on the ME team here in Edmonton I'm pretty sure both teams are still located here. ;)
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Driadon
    @Sjosz: :( It was Shawn Potter I asked back in the day about the whole thing, but like I said, guess he wasn't in the know how.
    sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sjosz
    @Driadon said:
    " @Sjosz: :( It was Shawn Potter I asked back in the day about the whole thing, but like I said, guess he wasn't in the know how. "
    Shawn's also on the ME team. Perhaps SW:TOR was mentioned? That's in Austin.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I don't really agree with this at all. They're just pushing the game that's coming out sooner. Don't you remember the ridiculous amount of marketing that went into ME2 in the months leading up to its release? It'll be no different with Dragon Age 2 OR Mass Effect 3. 

I'm curious as to what made you think this in the first place? It's just your typical EA marketing machine at work.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @HaltIamReptar said:
    " Mass Effect 3 is a ways away, Dragon Age 2 is in six months.  MARKETING. "

@DonPixel: This is the answer you were looking for.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Death_Unicorn

How in the world do you get that idea?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.