Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

ME2 is more RPG not less.

• 55 results
    tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By tranquilchaos

As a matter of fact it's just about as pure as roleplaying gets. Never before has a story hinged so much on how you play a role than this one. Bioware did not dumb down the rpg parts, they got the other shit out of the way. Inventory and skill trees are not the keystones of roleplay. Stepping into an immersive fiction and crafting your place in it is. 

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cube

Thanks for the heads up - all but confirming I will never play it.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon

Agreed. It focuses much more on the actual role-playing and less on the baggage that comes with said aspects when put into video game form. Don't get me wrong, I love me some loot, but loot doesn't make role-playing a central aspect of gameplay.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CL60
    @Cube said:
    " Thanks for the heads up - all but confirming I will never play it. "
    Okay?
    Have fun missing out on an amazing RPG.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By hatking

Ugh... another person who takes the term RPG far too literally.  By your definition every game outside of puzzle games would be RPGs in the sense you are always playing something doing something.  In the traditional and CORRECT sense of the term this game is not as much of an RPG as any other RPG out there.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cube
    @CL60 said:
    " @Cube said:
    Okay? Have fun missing out on an amazing RPG. "
    I hate RPG's. Hearing ME2 is more rpg than the first just makes me not want to play it. 

It was a genuine thank-you for telling me, as now I won't waste my money on it.

Cool for people who like that stuff though.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Driadon
    @HatKing:
    From what he's saying, it sounds like the opposite. He's taking the term role-playing as, well, a term. Not dissecting it as "playing a role by which you are controlling a character".
    Sersie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Sersie

I agree with your sentiment, though it all comes down how you define RPG.  

If you look at non-computer/console RPG's there is a vast spectrum of types of RPG systems, ranging from games that have almost no game mechanics (like Amber) to games with very involved game mechanics (like D&D or GURPS).  The former becomes more of an acting  exercise where you get into the role of a character and play off of other characters, whereas the latter can have that, but more often than not is characterized by more stat keeping for damage, experience, skills, levels.

Both are very valid forms of RPGs.   It just depends on what you and your friends are into and have fun with.

To that end ME2 is moving more to the rules light type of RPG, freeing you from the minutia of tweaking character builds and the like to focus on the characters and stories.  That said, I don't feel it makes it more of a RPG than any other RPG out there, just a different kind of experience, but just as satisfying.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60
    @Cube said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Cube said:
    I hate RPG's. Hearing ME2 is more rpg than the first just makes me not want to play it.   It was a genuine thank-you for telling me, as now I won't waste my money on it.  Cool for people who like that stuff though. "
    If you hate RPGs then you were never interested in the ME trilogy in the first place.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cube
    @CL60 said:
    " @Cube said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Cube said:
    I hate RPG's. Hearing ME2 is more rpg than the first just makes me not want to play it.   It was a genuine thank-you for telling me, as now I won't waste my money on it.  Cool for people who like that stuff though. "
    If you hate RPGs then you were never interested in the ME franchise in the first place. "
    Wrong. I bought the first Mass Effect. Thanks for telling me what I'm interested in though.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By emkeighcameron

I think they really fucked up the inventory system. There's no sense of progression in terms of gear, which to me is a huge part of any good RPG. I realize this is a requirement for the more open-ended world that Bioware wants you to explore, but it still makes me mad that there's such a paltry amount of equipment.

Other than that (and the fucking planet scanning), I love the game though. I'm doing my second playthrough on Insanity now.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CL60
    @Cube said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Cube said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Cube said:
    If you hate RPGs then you were never interested in the ME franchise in the first place. "
    Wrong. I bought the first Mass Effect. Thanks for telling me what I'm interested in though. "
    Then you lied about hating RPGs.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Skald

Actually, stats and skills are exactly what makes it an RPG. It's called a "Role-playing game" because it has game mechanics that were made popular by pen-and-paper tabletop games.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Hamst3r
    @Cube said:

I'm going to chime in here as an RPG hater myself. Although Mass Effect 2 is, "more RPG" as the OP argues, it's also less of the busy work I hate from most RPGs. They've cut down on the "RPG crap" and simply focused on story and choices. It's a shooter, with a ton of dialogue and intriguing situations with difficult choices. It's less management, less skill building, less stat comparing, etc.

I wanted to clarify that as it has less of what makes RPGs a bore.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cube
    @CL60 said:
    " @Cube said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Cube said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Cube said:
    Wrong. I bought the first Mass Effect. Thanks for telling me what I'm interested in though. "
    Then you lied about hating RPGs. "
    I didn't lie. 

Just because I hate RPG's doesn't mean I haven't tried to like them. I just gave up on trying. 

Thank-you.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Andorski
    @Cube: I'd say ME2 is right for you then.  For me... crap like finding loot, experience grinding, and complicated skill trees are annoyances that has kept me away from all types of RPGs (turn-based, D&D, strategy, etc.).  Finding loot and experience grinding are non-existent in this game.  Skill trees in ME2 are pretty simplified.  If you put points into skills and later learn that you made a mistake in doing so... you can even change them through "research."

If you hate dialogue trees though... stay clear of this game.  Also, scanning planets suck.  You don't waste as much time as you do grinding experience in other RPGs, but it can be just as painfully boring.
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By mrfizzy
    @Cube said:
    you lose.
    tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tranquilchaos

@extremeradical: It's called a "roleplaying" game not a "doing math and shit" game. Last time I checked, playing a role was more about the experiences.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cube
    @mrfizzy said:
    " @Cube said:
    you lose. "
    I don't lose anything. Go away.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cube
    @Hamst3r said:
    " @Cube said:
    I'm going to chime in here as an RPG hater myself. Although Mass Effect 2 is, "more RPG" as the OP argues, it's also less of the busy work I hate from most RPGs. They've cut down on the "RPG crap" and simply focused on story and choices. It's a shooter, with a ton of dialogue and intriguing situations with difficult choices. It's less management, less skill building, less stat comparing, etc.  I wanted to clarify that as it has less of what makes RPGs a bore. "
    Good to hear. May give it a chance.
    tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tranquilchaos

To be clear I am not on about "the RPG genre" and more about the RPG idea. It is my estimation that what people consider to be RPGs most of the time are quite far from the idea of roleplay to begin with.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CL60
    @Cube said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Cube said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Cube said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Cube said:
    Then you lied about hating RPGs. "
    I didn't lie.   Just because I hate RPG's doesn't mean I haven't tried to like them. I just gave up on trying.   Thank-you. "
    If that were true and you tried ME1 in the first place with your notion of not liking RPGs, then you still wouldn't be interested in ME at all, because apparently you hate RPGs. So everything you're saying just makes absolutely no sense.

"This is more RPG?! I'm not playing it ever now!"
    "I hate RPGs"
    "I bought ME1! I'm interested in RPGs!"
    "I've tried RPGs but I don't like them"
    "I'm giving up on RPGs"

All in all..."I don't like RPGs, I bought the first Mass Effect, and did not like it.  So I'm not trying RPGs anymore...ME2 IS MORE RPG!!!?!? NEVER PLAYING THIS!"

Well of course your not playing ME2, you don't like RPGs and are never trying them again.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Marz

gah none of you know what rpg's are.

This is an rpg!

No Caption Provided
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hatking

This is all stupid as fuck anyway, this is just arguing semantics, who gives a shit what they call it?  "A rose by any other name..." you know?  This is very clearly not the issue, if you are arguing the game is better for dropping those mechanics or dumbed down for it then okay those are arugments... this is just silly.
    tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tranquilchaos
    @HatKing: It isn't foolish, it's just my desire to vent the frustration of hearing people claim something as roleplaying that rightly shouldn't be, as well as those same people ignoring what it is that the genre should be doing with it's fiction. I see a game like Final Fantasy 13 and realize that a part of me has moved on from "RPGs" is the genre sense and wants something more that a point A to point B story. The inventory and skill trees are an aside to that.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Skald
    @tranquilchaos:
    In Gears of War, you play the role of Marcus Fenix. Does that make it an RPG?
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cube
    @CL60: I'm interested in Mass Effect as a franchise - it's story, setting, and characters. You're concluding that I'm not interested in ME at all because of it's style of play. You're wrong here.

It's kind of like Batman. I like Batman a lot but I fucking HATE comic books. 

I really want to read the Mass Effect novels. Any lore, probably would read up on it. If there was a movie, I'd probably go see it.

So I'm not big on ME1. I don't like RPG's. I gave it a chance because it looked interesting. Can you understand me?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CL60
    @extremeradical said:

" @tranquilchaos: In Gears of War, you play the role of Marcus Fenix. Does that make it an RPG? "

You don't really play the role of Marcus Fenix though, are you the one making all of the decisions? Are you the one choosing what you want to say? 

No you are not. You are just shooting shit until you get to the next cut scene that you have no control over.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pie
    @CL60 said:
    " @extremeradical said:

" @tranquilchaos: In Gears of War, you play the role of Marcus Fenix. Does that make it an RPG? "

You don't really play the role of Marcus Fenix though, are you the one making all of the decisions? Are you the one choosing what you want to say?   No you are not. You are just shooting shit until you get to the next cut scene that you have no control over. "
    You do have to choose which path to take, left or right? :P
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EvilTwin
    @CL60: You're assuming the role of the character.  An actor plays a role in a play, but that doesn't mean they have any control over what the character does.  Anyways, as HatKing said, this is all just semantics.  It doesn't matter what you call the game, it just matters if you like the direction they took with it.  So can we stop getting threads from people who think they've had an epiphany on the term "RPG" and feel like they need to apologize for Mass Effect 2?
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By TheHT
    @tranquilchaos said:
    "  @extremeradical: It's called a "roleplaying" game not a "doing math and shit" game. Last time I checked, playing a role was more about the experiences. "
    @Driadon said:
    " @HatKing: From what he's saying, it sounds like the opposite. He's taking the term role-playing as, well, a term. Not dissecting it as "playing a role by which you are controlling a character". "
    apparently he's not the opposite. 

ME2 is more shooter and less RPG. just because you really got into the role of shepard in your own little world doesn't make it more of an RPG.

really though, the game's great, genres be damned.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Andorski

I think Casey Hudson from Bioware said it best: "We didn't look to make an RPG.  We looked to make an experience."

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Andorski said:
    " I think Casey Hudson from Bioware said it best: "We didn't look to make an RPG.  We looked to make an experience." "
    Sorry, I think I just vomited in my mouth a little.  PR speak usually does that to me.
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By Cheapoz

It's a 3PS with a conversation wheel. That's all.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Andorski
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @Andorski said:
    " I think Casey Hudson from Bioware said it best: "We didn't look to make an RPG.  We looked to make an experience." "
    Sorry, I think I just vomited in my mouth a little.  PR speak usually does that to me. "
    It does sound like something PR would make... but I think it's a mostly true statement.  ME1 had it's inventory system because that is what RPGs have.  They saw how crappy it was, so they took it out.  It's like they figure out that the appeal about Mass Effect was shooting, magic, and talking to dudes... so they worked on that and branched out from there.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36  Edited By natetodamax

Is it that big of a deal? Seriously? Seriously?

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tranquilchaos
    @natetodamax: Enough of one to kill a little time venting about it and watching the ensuing debate, sure.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Andorski: I don't know, PR speak always sounds like bullshit to me.  And for the record, I wasn't trying to be a dick to you, I was just trying to express my distaste for what PR thinks of their game.
    Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Regal
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @Andorski said:
    Sorry, I think I just vomited in my mouth a little.  PR speak usually does that to me. "
    Well that doesn't sound too PR-ish since he didn't mention if it was a bad experience or a good one. But I think that sentiment is the overall philosophy behind the game. In favor of the overall experience, things that seemed out of place or caused friction to the overall smoothness of the game were either trimmed rather radically or cut out entirely, even at the expense of some traditional "RPG mechanics". This to me provided a more unified "experience" overall. You probably barfed all over your screen now but I think that quote is accurate. 
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jimbo

Your choices impact both the story and the gameplay.  That's fundamentally what defines an RPG for me.  All the other stuff - loot, skill trees, etc. - are just the common mechanics that have evolved to bridge the gap between your decisions and the gameplay.  You can strip them all away and still have an RPG, so long as that fundamental principle remains intact.  ME 2 doesn't go quite that far, it just streamlines a whole bunch of things which had been allowed to grow unnecessarily unwieldy.

ME 2 is perhaps a purer, more streamlined RPG, but it is still an RPG from top to bottom.  It is also a TPS.  I wouldn't start calling it some kind of 'hybrid' per se, because I don't consider them mutually exclusive terms - in the same way that a Fast Blue Car isn't a Fast/Blue hybrid; it is both Fast and Blue.  Mass Effect 2 isn't taking 'elements' from each genre - it fully meets the definition of each genre.  Unlike something like Borderlands, which I think you could only reasonably say 'has RPG elements'.

I don't consider it more or less RPG than ME 1 - they are just both RPGs.  If it gets to the point where you aren't making roleplay choices which impact the actual gameplay itself, then I would agree with the assertion that you are effectively left with a Choose Your Own Adventure.  

A lot of the new structure and design choices in ME 2 aren't so different to Deus Ex when you think about it.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tranquilchaos
    @Jimbo: Good points all.
    RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RedHerb
    @Jimbo said:
    Oh... so like that classic RPG Bioshock...
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jimbo
    @RedHerb: I know you're trying to be smart, but that's about as borderline a case as you can get for me.  

If your ability to impact the storyline ran throughout the game - rather than being (afaik) an isolated incident- I would not hesitate to call Bioshock an RPG as well as an FPS (which is exactly the classification given to the previous Shock games by the way).  In fact, the whole point of (the vast majority of) Bioshock is that your character has no free will at all, which is the antithesis of an RPG.

As it is, I would probably come down on the side of calling Bioshock an FPS with RPG elements (same as Borderlands).
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By Whisperkill
    @CL60 said:

" @Cube said:

Yeah "I'm such a fucking rebel because I'm not going to play an amazing game. FUCK the world!"

nobody cares,
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I find the claims that ME2 is "less of an RPG" because they streamlined the stats and removed the inventory absolutely laughable.  Are these things what defines an RPG? 

The inventory in the first game served no purpose at all.  You needed colossus armour and spectre gear, everything else was broken down into medi-gel, it really didn't need to exist.  The stats are more or less the same, with the absence of weapon specialisation, which only served to limit your options in combat.  Soldier Shepard should be able to use all weapon types, it makes sense.  Just as it does for the other classes to be limited to certain others.  It gives you less customisation options perhaps, but I don't see that as being dumbed down or less of an RPG.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#46  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I recall an argument similar to this one a while back. No. Sure, we could argue stupid semantics about what an RPG is definied as but in gameplay terms the game is less RPG and more Third Person Shooter. Why? Because in the world of video games calling something an RPG implies "dice rolling and shit like that" which ME2 has less of than its predecessor (which in turn makes it a better game).

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By wh1terav3n

I argue that shaping the world and making decisions that impact both that world and your character's personality are the hallmarks of the "RPG" genre, which goes all the way back to the original D&D tabletop game. Under that definition, the Mass Effect franchise is one of the most RPG-y RPGs to ever come out, decisions made in one game impact the next, years later in game terms. Each person's world could very well be radically different from everyone else's. And it's fun to boot.

RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RedHerb
    @Jimbo: well yes but that's not entirely the case, you can choose a lot of things which affect the game.

but your right the main story is set. Unlike a final fantasy or Tales of "blank" RPG :)
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By sickVisionz

Some people define RPG as a game where you play a role.  Other define it as the actual gameplay thats in games labeled as "RPG".  Maybe the name of the genre should be changed to "stat based game" or something like that.  The reliance of statistics and manipulating those is the one common thing that all all games labeling themselves as "RPG", whether a JRPG or a WRPG, share in common.   

ME2 is indeed a game where you play a role.  That's not arguable.  People who say it's less of a RPG are defining RPG as "stat based game".  ME2 pretty much removes all of that from its gameplay or reduces it down to levels that are less than games that don't call themselves RPGs at all.  That's why those people say it's less of a RPG.

Mandance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mandance

A friend of mine recently asked which he should pick up, Mass effect 2 or Dragon age.  I told him what I think most can agree with (that have played through both) Dragon age is the better rpg but Mass effect 2 is the better game.  Nearly all of you're choices in ME2 were binary, but it just did such a great job in making you feel the consequences. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.