Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

RPG Tips from a BioWare dev for Insanity

• 72 results
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Delta_Ass: Damn. Forgot about that. I guess armor-piercing or incineration rounds could take care of that. But then again, that's obvious as hell and you probably tried it already.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By delta_ass
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @Delta_Ass: Damn. Forgot about that. I guess armor-piercing or incineration rounds could take care of that. But then again, that's obvious as hell and you probably tried it already. "

I never have any problem with Husks. The beginning of the Collector Ship's not about husks.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By Systech

This is well appreciated, Christina. Now I am totally less afraid to replay ME2 on Insanity!

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@kitae: Thanks for the tips! I'm more inclined to start an Insanity playthrough now. Keep up the great work at BioWare!
    kitaekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By kitaekatt

I agree the stuff I posted is pretty basic, but not everyone reads all the text, so posting basic stuff is the best way I can be helpful! The more advanced stuff I prefer to leave to the community because it is you guys who should be figuring out all the awesome strategies for Insanity, not me! 

Why come just for Vinny? Because I'm a giant bombcast fangirl :P 

- Christina

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Garrus
    @EvilTwin: You're both correct technically, unlike Grunt who would rather run literally right through a crowd of the collectors I'd figure a way that doesn't get us all killed, and reach is good because it means sparring with the collectors is easier when they really get close. Though Bioware never has a scene like that I thought it would have been nice.

Wait that just went somewhere ...horrible.
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    @kitae said:
    " I agree the stuff I posted is pretty basic, but not everyone reads all the text, so posting basic stuff is the best way I can be helpful! The more advanced stuff I prefer to leave to the community because it is you guys who should be figuring out all the awesome strategies for Insanity, not me!  Why come just for Vinny? Because I'm a giant bombcast fangirl :P  - Christina "
    I used the loading screens to catch my breath, so all of your tips were quite useful for me. Thanks for the additional info on my favourite game ever!
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By natetodamax

Seems like it's a lot of work. I don't think I would be able to get through every fight having to worry about casting the right power on the right enemy at the right time.

Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Ramyun
    @kitae said:
    "I'm a giant bombcast fangirl :P  - Christina "
    You just got hundred times more awesome in my book!! Go Bioware!!!!
    Euey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By Euey

Now, that's community support. 

grhud5194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By grhud5194

thanks a lot for the tips, this has just solidified my undying loyalty to Bioware.
    Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Wrect

Please have Christina on the Bombcast!
    kitaekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By kitaekatt
    @natetodamax:@natetodamax said:
    " Seems like it's a lot of work. I don't think I would be able to get through every fight having to worry about casting the right power on the right enemy at the right time. "
    You don't it's pretty optional. Using the right gun and the right ammo power will give you an edge, but if you don't need the edge, don't use it!

One trick I do is keep specific ammo powers on specific guns, then all you have to do is switch guns, for example:
        - Cryo ammo on my sniper rifle and shotgun
        - Disruptor ammo on my assault rifle
        - Incendiary ammo on my heavy pistol 

So use heavy pistol for armor (double bonus), assault rifle for shields, and freeze guys with either the sniper or the shotty.

Once the powers are on they don't go away.
    Robiin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By Robiin
    @kitae: While on the subject, is there any "special" benefit to the cryo ammo? Except that it fucking turns people into ice? Like, the incendiary is good vs armor, is the cryo ammo especially useful against anything?

Also, thanks for this info, commitment if you will, to the gaming community! Not many developers do these kinds of things when they allready have got their money from purchases! And great job on the game too! I am playing through insanity right now, as an infiltrator, doing some loyalty stuff, can't wait for the suicide mission on insanity, that thing will be a bitch, in a good way!
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @kitae: 

Jesus, color me impressed. +100 to Bioware
    JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By JackG100

Infiltrator on insanity wasn't so hard, now Vanguard on the other hand...

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#67  Edited By AndrewB
    @JackG100:  Yes... I'm currently about 1/6th of the way through insanity as a Vanguard, and I definitely need some tips. The Vanguard's specialty is utterly usless, since the whole point is to get the drop on enemies by rushing them, only, you rush=you die on insanity, so I'm stuck using generic submachine guns and heavy reave all the time. 

If you have the option, I would not suggest simply not playing as Vanguard on insane. However, the Vanguard has been my character throughout the game, and since I'm playing through on a new game + mode, I don't have the option of picking a different class. I'm not about to start over unless I absolutely have to.

It's funny how I'm never the type to play games on any difficulty verging on the hardest, but I'm attempting ME2 at the hardest difficulty, with one of the most difficult classes, at the most difficult, higher character levels. So I'm definitely not complaining about it being beyond a challenge, but...
    xatmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#68  Edited By xatmos

There are some pretty cool vids on youtube of vanguards doing really well on insanity.  I think there is a steep learning curve for any class on insanity.  Vanguard may well have the steepest however.

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By JackG100

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/128/index/1061080/1

I found this post useful to me.

Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#70  Edited By Enigmatical

I know what's going on here.  BioWare does not want us to stop playing their games.  

Even at the hint that we might stop because it is too hard, they'll show up (like Spiderman) to save the day.

Damn them... damn them, those magnificent game developers.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By nail1080

This thread should be stickied in the Mass Effect 2 forum for future references. =)

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Good tips, although I feel sad that I'm worried enough to have to read tips & guides
    before playing Insanity.  Before reading this tip, I had thought I could only have 1
    ammo loaded at a time (squad ammo powers being the exception) & I had noticed
    that Warp ammo (in my second playthrough on Normal mode) was not really doing
    all the mass damage I had hoped.  Looks like I'll need to respec my dude.  Although
    I am playing in New Game+ currently & it sounds like you need to start with Level 1 for 
    Insanity play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.