Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

[Rumor] Upcoming Bioware game to be...Mass Effect multiplayer

• 100 results
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#51  Edited By Jeust
    @Revan_NL: Yep. And that is unfortunate, as despite raising profits, tends to run the franchise to the ground with a saturation of repetitive games.  

Personally I can't play Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, as I felt tired of the same mechanics and gameplay from the first game in AC2.  
    Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Revan_NL
    @Jeust:  I know, really loved AC2 but my experience with AC Brotherhood has been underwhelming so far. 
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By Venatio

No thanks

Just give me my Mass Effect 3 Bioware

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By LiquidPrince

Hey, it can be a great success, and catch us off guard just like Assassin's Creed multiplayer.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By Jeust
    @Revan_NL said:
    " @Jeust:  I know, really loved AC2 but my experience with AC Brotherhood has been underwhelming so far.  "
    I imagine. I have the impression that the gameplay in Assassin's Creed won't improve much more than we've seen so far. Unless they introduce some cool mechanics the franchise is running towards oblivion. 
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By Skald

Blizzard didn't get to where it is now by making games of only one genre. Vive la Bioware.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Revan_NL
    @Jeust:  It would help if they did something radical with the setting. The AC gameplay (with slightly tweaked controls) in a modern setting would be ace.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @MaFoLu said:
    " I just hope that they can find some way to make it actually fit in with the Mass Effect universe and story, and not shoehorn in a big war between all the races just for this game. I'm usually for bending the story for better gameplay, but when it comes to Mass Effect, I think the story should come first. "
    Well ME is very militaristic scifi in nature, so having various
    wars pop up would appear to be common.  That is what Halo
    was & Star Trek had wars all the time in a few story arcs.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Azteck

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By stinky

not interested, i like bioware because they know how to do RPGs well.  
    hate to see them become run of the mill. 

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Mordukai said:

" I think every developer should have this written on their walls. 

NOT EVRY GAME NEEDS TO HAVE MULTI PLAYER! "

@Mordukai said:

" I think every developer should have this written on their walls. 

@Mordukai said:

"  I think every developer should have this written on their walls. 

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By SSully

So what, like Assassins Creed their sequal is more successful then the original so they figure the next step is multiplayer? The shooting in mass effect is not that great and i do not see it working in multiplayer. I can see it now, every map is littered with chest high walls.

Necrozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Necrozilla

Tall order considering the relative dull shooting of the franchise to other focused shooters, but I will be intersted if they can pull it off.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#64  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mordukai said:
    " @BeachThunder said:
    " Ew =( Why would they do this? "
    Because ever since CoD 4 every company think every freaking game should have MP, that's why. Also gamers are not any help since they are the ones screaming for MP as if that feature will justify the money they spent...SP is a dying breed. I think every developer should have this written on their walls. 

NOT EVRY GAME NEEDS TO HAVE MULTI PLAYER!. "

wait, that doesnt make sense 
    You're saying that gamers nowadays want multiplayer in all their games. and that good single-player-based companies are adding that multiplayer component to keep the gamers pleased 
    but 
    when we say games we say console games because they are the shit in this day and age, and on the consoles every game that isnt cod/halo/gears of war/uncharted 2/MAG  and has multiplayer dies off after a couple of weeks (the MP does) 

so.. ?
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By xyzygy
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @BunkerBuster said:
    " If anyone can get it done its Bioware. "
    Bioware makes single player RPGs. Not online shooters.  "
    The biggest game they've ever made is not a single player game. "
    Dragon Age is Bioware's best selling game. Care to tell me where the online multiplayer feature is in it?
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#66  Edited By damswedon

first contact wars?

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By General_D23
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @BunkerBuster said:
    Dragon Age is Bioware's best selling game. Care to tell me where the online multiplayer feature is in it? "
    He's talking about The Old Republic, which is arguably Bioware's biggest in terms of size and content, if what we've heard is to be believed. They have people that can do it, at least.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By xyzygy
    @General_D23 said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @Metal_Mills said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @BunkerBuster said:

Dragon Age is Bioware's best selling game. Care to tell me where the online multiplayer feature is in it? "
    He's talking about The Old Republic, which is arguably Bioware's biggest in terms of size and content, if what we've heard is to be believed. They have people that can do it, at least. "
    Since when was this a discussion about their biggest game world? I'm talking in terms of sales and success. Besides, TOR isn't even released yet. Also there is a HUGE difference between an MMO and an online shooter.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely not what I want out of Mass Effect, but who knows, BioWare has never failed me.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt if this rumor is true. 

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By FreakAche

Whatever, as long as it has a reasonably long campaign with good story, dramatic presentation, and dialogue trees I'm on board.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Zimbo

Please just finish Mass Effect 3 before starting all the other Mass Effect related titles Bioware. I want to see what happens to my Shepard.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#73  Edited By mike

I don't understand why people get all up in arms about stuff like this. If you don't like the idea of a multiplayer Mass Effect game, then don't buy it and wait for Mass Effect 3. 

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Afroman269

I hope not, I wouldn't be surprised that they would make multiplayer for the next Mass Effect but I don't care for a ME multiplayer focused game. Hopefully it's bogus.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I would prefer if they diverted those resources to a new IP, or making the singleplayer for Mass Effect 3 even better.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By tourgen

I'm fine with it especially if it keeps the multiplayer out of the main game line. 

Here's how I imagine the conversation between Bioware and EA went:
    Andy-EA: "Bob, have you seen the piles of $$ Cash $$ Bobby Kotick is sitting on over there at Activision?"
    Bioware-Bob: "Well no, not personally..."
    Ed-EA: "Huge piles of cash Bob.  $360 million in 24 hours."
    Andy-EA: "and that was just the first dumptruck load."
    Andy-EA: "See Bob, the thing is we feel we deserve those piles of moneys."
    Ed-EA: "Multiplayer Bob. With guns.  2011.  Make it happen."

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By xyzygy
    @MB said:
    " I don't understand why people get all up in arms about stuff like this. If you don't like the idea of a multiplayer Mass Effect game, then don't buy it and wait for Mass Effect 3.  "
    I think the reason people get "up in arms" is because we want the actual story, the mothership titles of the series, the actual Trilogy to be completed before a spin off is made. This being made for the Call of Duty crowd is such an obvious attempt at a chance to make some quick cash out of a beloved franchise. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@SSully said:

" So what, like Assassins Creed their sequal is more successful then the original so they figure the next step is multiplayer? The shooting in mass effect is not that great and i do not see it working in multiplayer. I can see it now, every map is littered with chest high walls. "

This may surprise you, but games are developed for months before they are announced.  BioWare didn't look at Brotherhood's sales numbers on Tuesday, and then decide to make a multiplayer game Wednesday.

@xyzygy said:
    " @MB said:
    " I don't understand why people get all up in arms about stuff like this. If you don't like the idea of a multiplayer Mass Effect game, then don't buy it and wait for Mass Effect 3.  "
    I think the reason people get "up in arms" is because we want the actual story, the mothership titles of the series, the actual Trilogy to be completed before a spin off is made. This being made for the Call of Duty crowd is such an obvious attempt at a chance to make some quick cash out of a beloved franchise.  "

Casey Hudson is not directing this game.  It's being developed in Montreal, not Edmonton.  Aside from a couple notes about lore specifics, there is no connection between the development of Mass Effect 3 and this proposed multiplayer shooter.

Furthermore, I find it funny that there's this rage about them trying to make some money by releasing a product.  I see a lot of talk about people loving BioWare's games and hoping they do well enough to make more games... and then cross their arms when BioWare tries something new.  This isn't the first time, either.  It happened when they took the Star Wars license, it happened when they started making console games, this is just another instance of fanboy wangst.

Also, it makes a lot of sense to BioWare's bottom line, when Mass Effect 2 is outsold on the 360 by Bad Company 2.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By FunExplosions

[Rumor] Upcoming Bioware game to be both octopus and dad. 

Will incorporate Game Boy Advance plug-in features.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80  Edited By owl_of_minerva

The reason I'm disappointed with this is that I hate the direction Bioware has taken, moving towards action RPGs, shooters, and dubious romance. Although I hate to be that guy, they made excellent RPGs 10 years ago and never followed up on them with anything near as good. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age are both decent, but the RPG systems and design is fundamentally flawed in DA, and Mass Effect 1's attempt was so bad they removed it all in 2.
    This news is just another nail of decline into the coffin. Basically, there's no reason for the game to exist if it's a MP shooter, it's laughable that they think they could compete against Halo, Call of Duty, or Gears of War.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By phrosnite

I can't wait for the announcement. I have always wanted Mass Effect multiplayer!. Nice! I hope they put multi in Dragon Age 2 or 3 too :P
    The writer messed up a bit... Mass Effect is not Bioware's most successful game, it's Dragon Age. Bioware said so...

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By xyzygy
    @Brodehouse said:
    "@xyzygy said:
    " @MB said:
    I think the reason people get "up in arms" is because we want the actual story, the mothership titles of the series, the actual Trilogy to be completed before a spin off is made. This being made for the Call of Duty crowd is such an obvious attempt at a chance to make some quick cash out of a beloved franchise.  "
    Casey Hudson is not directing this game.  It's being developed in Montreal, not Edmonton.  Aside from a couple notes about lore specifics, there is no connection between the development of Mass Effect 3 and this proposed multiplayer shooter.  Furthermore, I find it funny that there's this rage about them trying to make some money by releasing a product.  I see a lot of talk about people loving BioWare's games and hoping they do well enough to make more games... and then cross their arms when BioWare tries something new.  This isn't the first time, either.  It happened when they took the Star Wars license, it happened when they started making console games, this is just another instance of fanboy wangst.  Also, it makes a lot of sense to BioWare's bottom line, when Mass Effect 2 is outsold on the 360 by Bad Company 2. "

BioWare Edmonton not developing this game is another reason why it should not exist. They are not the team that made this lore, the universe, the setting, the characters! That's comparable to Frank Herbert's "Dune" saga, another Sci-Fi saga, and how his son Brian started writing a bunch of Dune novels that no one cared about. He was just trying to cash in on an existing franchise created by his father.

The supposition that this new game is aimed at the CoD audience blatantly states the true intentions of the publisher - to try to take a chunk out of the massive moneywad that are CoD fans. Now I can appreciate when games try new things out and have a fresh feel to them and captures it's own audience with it's own fans for it's own reasons. But when you make a game that is directly aimed at the fanbase of another game, that game becomes worthless to me, especially in the scheme of Mass Effect where it has my favorite lore and universe.

I realize that I can just pass this game up, but the fact that they could be using the Mass Effect universe for something so lame as an online shooter aimed at the CoD audience just makes the Bioware fanboy inside me rage. I do however realize that most of this decision making was EA.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@xyzygy said:
    " @Brodehouse said:
    "@xyzygy said:
    " @MB said:
    Casey Hudson is not directing this game.  It's being developed in Montreal, not Edmonton.  Aside from a couple notes about lore specifics, there is no connection between the development of Mass Effect 3 and this proposed multiplayer shooter.  Furthermore, I find it funny that there's this rage about them trying to make some money by releasing a product.  I see a lot of talk about people loving BioWare's games and hoping they do well enough to make more games... and then cross their arms when BioWare tries something new.  This isn't the first time, either.  It happened when they took the Star Wars license, it happened when they started making console games, this is just another instance of fanboy wangst.  Also, it makes a lot of sense to BioWare's bottom line, when Mass Effect 2 is outsold on the 360 by Bad Company 2. "

BioWare Edmonton not developing this game is another reason why it should not exist. They are not the team that made this lore, the universe, the setting, the characters! That's comparable to Frank Herbert's "Dune" saga, another Sci-Fi saga, and how his son Brian started writing a bunch of Dune novels that no one cared about. He was just trying to cash in on an existing franchise created by his father.

The supposition that this new game is aimed at the CoD audience blatantly states the true intentions of the publisher - to try to take a chunk out of the massive moneywad that are CoD fans. Now I can appreciate when games try new things out and have a fresh feel to them and captures it's own audience with it's own fans for it's own reasons. But when you make a game that is directly aimed at the fanbase of another game, that game becomes worthless to me, especially in the scheme of Mass Effect where it has my favorite lore and universe.

I realize that I can just pass this game up, but the fact that they could be using the Mass Effect universe for something so lame as an online shooter aimed at the CoD audience just makes the Bioware fanboy inside me rage. I do however realize that most of this decision making was EA.

"
    No, this is closer to David Lynch directing the Dune movie.  Especially since Casey Hudson and the Mass Effect team aren't dead.

You become ridiculous if the target market the game turns you off rather than the quality of the game itself.  I don't care what their design direction is if it's great when it comes out.  And furthermore, that announcement is pretty much standard to any multiplayer shooting focused game being released nowadays.  You don't aim at any other audience than Call of Duty, because that's the biggest one.  Would you have them say they're looking at making a multiplayer focused shooter aimed at the Tribes 2 audience?

And the decision making here is still BioWare.  BioWare isn't cranking this out against their will.  EA goes "here's a budget for making this proposed game" and since BioWare are a company of game designers who want nothing more than to make games, they said yes.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By xyzygy
    @Brodehouse:

Actually, it is probably more akin to Brian Herbert taking his father's notes and making the books. Bioware Edmonton and Montreal are a family under EA and they are taking a few notes from Edmonton to make this. There is no outside source, which would be the equivalent of David Lynch. In that comparison, it doesn't matter if Frank was dead, because Edmonton and Montreal aren't co-developing this game. The Edmonton studio probably has their hands full with ME3.

The reason why I'm not going to like the game isn't solely because it's aimed at the CoD audience, it's because I hate games with multiplayer in general. They could be using that time to create an even better single player component of the game, and I guarantee you 100% that the game will be much shorter because of it. You can use AC:B as an example all you want, but Assassin's Creed Brotherhood was in a different boat though - it's an open world sandbox game, those types of games are long no matter how you put it. Just add a whole bunch of missions in, a huge map to roam around in and you're set. Mass Effect series is far from that. I beat both Mass Effects in around 60 hours each, I'm guessing this game won't even hit 10.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ryanwho

No thanks to this. As for the "dont like it, shut up and don't buy it crowd" I feel I can take 10 seconds of my life to declare my disgust for this little venture before getting ready to not play it. And you're just going to have to make like a shitty Mass Effect meme and get over it.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By FreakAche

So apparently this game might have something to do with England or something? I'm getting more and more confused with each teaser BioWare puts out.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By haggis

I'm thinking these rumors are basically bullshit. But we'll see.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SammydesinasNL
    @Geno said:
    ""Aimed at the Call of Duty market".  "

Sounds like gay romance scenes are in!
    Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Bravestar
    @xyzygy said:
    The reason why I'm not going to like the game isn't solely because it's aimed at the CoD audience, it's because I hate games with multiplayer in general.
    So you think this game should not exist and argue about that, only because of  your own personal preference in games. Hmmm... Yes.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#90  Edited By Jost1

As long as it doesn't affect the release of Mass Effect 3 who cares??

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

As long as this new ME game's multiplayer is a
    Third Person Shooter with level-up style advancement
    like an RPG, then it'll be fine.

I hope it has a cooperative mode campaign so I can
    play online with some of my chicky friends.

Pumpeho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Pumpeho

Since the Mass Effect universe is huge and the trilogy is coming to an end its not that wierd that they'll try to expand it with various ideas.
     If they do this right the only thing Ill say is: I AM KROGAN!

However, Id rather see a coop RP game first if multiplayer is to be involved. No MMO tho. Id get stuck with that and leave IRL as I know it.

I have faith in BioWare.

superpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By superpope

I dunno. Co-op interrupts.  
    You could go 'good cop, bad cop' on someone. Or have one Shepard bend over behind the guy and the other Shepard push em! Think of the possibilities!
    Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Edwardryu

multiplayer is not fun at all especially COD. it's the same fcuking pattern you have to do repeatedly. what? for trophy? or achievement? do they make you money, huh? they do nothing. you waste so much damn time to play that. I already lost interest multiplayer whatever. I think co-op is more appealing. multiplayer is just nothing but hunting, kill each other. nothing else.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#95  Edited By Aronman789

Fuck that noise.

Avatar image for mightymayormike
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By MightyMayorMike

Eh, I didn't think Assassin's Creed multiplayer would be fun but I love it in Brotherhood.

That said, I'm still super dubious that they could pull this off. I'd rather have something like co-op.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

Bioware is one of the developers that gets the benefit of doubt from me. But for some reason I find the direction they are moving to weird. First they take a perfectly good RPG and seemingly turn it into a Hack'n'Slash (Dragon Age) now a shooter based on a RPG that has a deep, interesting lore and a pedigree of great storytelling?

I'll wait for the announcement and go from there, maybe the shooter rumor is right and maybe they can pull it off. But as with Dragon Age 2 im very much undecided till I see more than just teasers and small hints on gameplay.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#98  Edited By Dany

The thread title is subversive, and it Is the same reason why people were not that excited about Brotherhood because they thought it had a no single player or a very short singleplayer. 

Whatever the game is, it will be a Mass Effect game with multiplayer not a multiplayer mass effect game, big difference

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#99  Edited By Ferginator4k

I think it could work with a co-op mode much more than competitive multiplayer.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By FreakAche

So the latest binary code BioWare put out translates to a URL of a page with a picture of a red herring. Have they just been messing with us this whole time?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.