Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

[Rumor] Upcoming Bioware game to be...Mass Effect multiplayer

• 100 results
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Ew =( Why would they do this?

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By BunkerBuster

If anyone can get it done its Bioware. Here's hoping for good things. 
    BELIEVE!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The weirdest thing is there's a part of my brain which finds this plausible, still, I'm not going to believe it until I see it. I think the biggest barrier to this being true is not the gameplay of Mass Effect having to be completely refashioned for a multiplayer environment, but rather that Bioware would develop a game in the vein of Call of Duty to begin with.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By probablytuna

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo>

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By shiftymagician

I wouldn't mind it if they find a way to make multiplayer with crazy biotic action to be honest.  If Bioware develops this smart, it will be done via a seperate team than the one focusing on ME3 or the rest of the ME2 DLC.  If this is the case, I'm all for seeing how they make Mass Effect universe technology work towards giving us a fresh multiplayer experience.  

Of course, the only thing that still worries me is that they are aiming for the Call of Duty audience.  Either way, hoping it turns out good.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai

No Caption Provided
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordukai
    @BeachThunder said:
    " Ew =( Why would they do this? "
    Because ever since CoD 4 every company think every freaking game should have MP, that's why. Also gamers are not any help since they are the ones screaming for MP as if that feature will justify the money they spent...SP is a dying breed. I think every developer should have this written on their walls. 

NOT EVRY GAME NEEDS TO HAVE MULTI PLAYER!

this makes me wanna go out and burn my Mass Effect game copy Tim Bisley style.
    Avatar image for depressing_wizard
    Depressing_Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Depressing_Wizard

I was listening to IGN Game Scoop and they had an interview with someone from Bioware. IGN tried to get him talking about Mass Effect 3, and whether it'd have multiplayer. One of IGN's employees told the Bioware guy that they want the franchise to remain a single-player experience; the Bioware employee said something like, "If we were to do multiplayer, we'd make sure we did it correctly". There was even more alluding to a Mass Effect game featuring multiplayer, if I remember correctly. I'd confirm these statements, but I don't want to re-listen to the interview. Maybe someone else could do that.

The podcast's page (Interview starts at 52: 25)

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

"along with some sort of single-player component that does not feature Mass Effect's Commander Shepard in a leading role " 

Interesting.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By xyzygy
    @BunkerBuster said:
    " If anyone can get it done its Bioware. "
    Bioware makes single player RPGs. Not online shooters. 
    Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Eaxis

So many games that include multiplayer dosen't last more than a week before it's empty. Such a waste to develop something that's not going to be played.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By buzz_clik

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@xyzygy said:

" @BunkerBuster said:

Bioware makes single player RPGs. Not online shooters.  "
    And there was a time when BioWare releasing the best console game of the year was unthinkable.

I went through Mass Effect 2 four times, and the last two were just because I enjoyed the gameplay.  If I had a multiplayer mode to try out all the classes, I would've spent time there. 

Mass Effect multi seems so obvious a move, with the 6 classes all having special moves (the Soldier's adrenaline might have to be changed to a snap-to-target kind of thing) and the mix between damage types and attacks.  Different classes having different armor types (adepts with barriers, infiltrators with armor, engineers with shields, vanguards with barrier/armor, soldiers with armor/shields, sentinels with everything) and different attacks (if you come with warp, you can handle armor and barrier, but you'll need overload for shields), and then the raw fun of using Throw to knock someone across the arena.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @BunkerBuster said:
    And there was a time when BioWare releasing the best console game of the year was unthinkable. "
    There was also a time where Bioware made medical software instead of games, so I agree that pigeonholing them may be a less-than-safe bet.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By natetodamax

It better not be.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @BunkerBuster said:
    And there was a time when BioWare releasing the best console game of the year was unthinkable. "
    Shattered Steel was a shooter with online capability (well MP via dial-up, but still).
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chrissedoff

according to that article, it's being developed by their montreal studio, so don't start getting up in arms about bioware neglecting their core fans. they're putting out a new single-player rpg in the next few months so stand down.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jasta

" along with some sort of single-player component that does not feature Mass Effect's Commander Shepard in a leading role "

Blasphemy.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#20  Edited By BeachThunder
    @buzz_clik said:
    " @Brodehouse said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @BunkerBuster said:
    There was also a time where Bioware made medical software instead of games, so I agree that pigeonholing them may be a less-than-safe bet. "
    Perhaps then it's safe to assume then that they will move on to making minigame compilations :o
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Binman88

First thing that comes to mind when I think of turning ME into a multiplayer game is "clusterfuck". Just a bunch of people jamming on their powers when they see an enemy, with no pause screen to go about things tactically. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BeachThunder said:
    " @buzz_clik said:
    " @Brodehouse said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @BunkerBuster said:
    There was also a time where Bioware made medical software instead of games, so I agree that pigeonholing them may be a less-than-safe bet. "
    Perhaps then it's safe to assume then that they will move on to making minigame compilations :o "
    It would be a game where you play as the Mass Effect version of JACK and have to open doors for Shepard, playing a different Pipe Dreams-style minigame everytime.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Binman88 said:
    " First thing that comes to mind when I think of turning ME into a multiplayer game is "clusterfuck". Just a bunch of people jamming on their powers when they see an enemy, with no pause screen to go about things tactically.  "
    Well I can't say much as a person who played this on the PC, but I hardly used the pause screen when I had the hotkeys to effectively manage everything without much hassle.  For me if they do it wrong, it will be overly-simplified in terms of the variety of abilities.  However, if this game lets me play as a Krogan warlord or a Turian Veteran and do some interesting abilities that are race-specific, then that would start to be real interesting.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GunslingerPanda

No thank you Bioware.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Binman88
    @ShiftyMagician: I played on the PC too, and for the most part didn't need to pause either, but it helps when you're trying to be efficient - with unpredictable multiplayer opponents, it might not be as easy to think of what powers to use, or you might not have enough time, so you might end up with a lot of people just spamming random powers all over the place. Hopefully Bioware will figure it out, and it won't just be ME2 with multiplayer, but rather a tailored experience for online.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Binman88: Hmmm...about the multiplayer opponents, I wouldn't mind if most people have a hard time planning under pressure.  It technically means that there will be levels of skill between opponents, where highly skilled players know how to take advantage of lower-tier players.  

The problem may really be if they accidently make the abilities too frequent in nature, just to make the action artificially frantic and crazy, thus resulting in a real clusterfuck.  Either way, I also hope they figure it out too.
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By VicRattlehead

wondering if this is another attempt by EA too shoe horn into the call of duty crowd... MOH failed so why not try Mass Effect :| ...

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OmegaChosen

I don't see anything wrong with this, since I don't see how this in anyway would really effect the main Mass Effect series(especially since the rumor going around is that Bioware Montreal is the one developing it). If you don't want to play a COD-style ME because of dubious concerns, don't play it. No one is going to force you to play it and since Shepard isn't the going to be the main character, you won't miss out on any of the main story if you skip it.

anterline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By anterline

I've gotten to the point where shooters aren't even fun anymore. 

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By spazmaster666

Gameplay wise this could definitely work. I just hope this doesn't in any way affect what they are doing with the Mass Effect single player experience.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By penguindust

Wow, once again such negativity.  Are gamers so opposed to change that even a rumor sends them into a tizzy?  This isn't a case like the potentially radical change of gameplay and character that seems to be happening in Dragon Age.  That game was a Baulder's Gate style tactical RPG and is apparently evolving into something more akin to the beloved Mass Effect 2.  Nor is this a redesign of genre like KOTOR to SW: The Old Republic.  I could understand why some fans were upset that they weren't getting a true sequel for that franchise.  This rumored new game is a completely separate game just set in the Mass Effect universe.  There will still be Mass Effect 3.  I don't believe this will be a tacked on multiplayer game like Bioshock 2 or Uncharted 2.  I suspect it will be a separate game more on the order of Unreal Tournament where the single player is just a training mode for the online action.  It might even be a bit like Tribes where teamwork is vital for success.  

And, I don't think it's a bad idea.  I'm not a competitive multiplayer person anymore, but if they want some of that COD money, why not go after it?  The time is probably right for something since Halo is no longer being created by Bungie and the field of modern day shooters is saturated.   Aren't you curious to see if an Adept can take out a Soldier of equal skill or visa-versa?  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Binman88 said:

" First thing that comes to mind when I think of turning ME into a multiplayer game is "clusterfuck". Just a bunch of people jamming on their powers when they see an enemy, with no pause screen to go about things tactically.  "

Actually, thinking about things tactically doesn't require a pause screen, it just requires you to think faster.

@PenguinDust:  And what are you talking about?  The multiplayer in BioShock 2 and Uncharted 2 is actually really fun, with some pretty original gameplay.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Binman88
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @Binman88 said:

Actually, thinking about things tactically doesn't require a pause screen, it just requires you to think faster.

@PenguinDust:  And what are you talking about?  The multiplayer in BioShock 2 and Uncharted 2 is actually really fun, with some pretty original gameplay. "
    Of course, and a pause screen wouldn't work in multiplayer anyway. My point was that if you were to just take ME2 and shoe-horn multiplayer into it, it has the potential to lose any of the tactical qualities of the single player, with people running around corners just ready to hit the "overload" button as soon as an opponent comes into their crosshairs. No matter how fast your brain is working, repetitive spam will beat the speed of your thought process in those sorts of encounters. However, like I followed up in a more recent post, I would hope Bioware would know what they're doing, and I'll add that I have faith in their ability to make something more than a multiplayer 3rd person cover-based shooter.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By metal_mills
    @xyzygy said:
    " @BunkerBuster said:
    The biggest game they've ever made is not a single player game.
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By foggel

This is INFURIATING!! fffffffffffUCK

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By RobotHamster

We I'm not going to complain because I haven't even seen it yet, maybe it might be good.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Mordukai said:
    " @BeachThunder said:
    " Ew =( Why would they do this? "
    Because ever since CoD 4 every company think every freaking game should have MP, that's why. Also gamers are not any help since they are the ones screaming for MP as if that feature will justify the money they spent...SP is a dying breed. I think every developer should have this written on their walls. 

NOT EVRY GAME NEEDS TO HAVE MULTI PLAYER!

this makes me wanna go out and burn my Mass Effect game copy Tim Bisley style. "

Man that sounds awful!  However there IS a CHASM a mile
    wide long & deep for a sci-fi FPS shooter with Halo having 
    announced its retirement.  EVE Online is working on one for
    Consoles as well.  If Bioware doesn't make it, then likely the
    next COD will move into the future to steal a chunk of Sci-fi market
    share.  Where else will COD go?  It's covered WW2, Modern, 
    Black Ops...Now it just has WW3, Space, & Far Future Space 
    to jump into as gamers will probably get bored with Modern.
    Could be that Bioware wants to take over Halo. Put in a big
    FPS war for Mass Effect in the spirit of a Halo-style campaign.
    It actually sounds pretty intriguing (although I'd rather the Space
    War be done in RPG format, not FPS shooter format).

Anyway, I really hope the new Bioware game is not an FPS.  I 
    was hoping they were gonna make something original to the 
    IP not emulate Activision.  One of these days people are gonna 
    get tired of COD.  They've had 3 releases of  "Modern" so far & 
    they're just a little better each time.  I don't know why everyone 
    gets so excited about it & buys it on release.  I guess you have 
    to be an adrenalin junkie to appreciate it.

Man if I had to choose, I'd hope that the new Bioware game is
    a third-person shooter war & not an FPS, if there is going to be
    more RPG.  OTOH, if you guys aren't getting enough Mass Effect
    RPG, there is always Star Trek Online!  :-)
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By meteora

The shooting mechanics in ME2 is solid, but I'm not sure if it can stand on its own against Halo, Call of Duty or Gears of War to name a few big shooters. 

Suppose it could work. Uncharted 2 had a pretty surprisingly good multiplayer. So why the hell not? I'll keep an eye out.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Just look at Mass Effect 2 and you'll know what this game is already, and it isn't as painful as you might think 

1. The Shooting - has been revamped from the first ME to be more 'shootery' - and to that point just before ME2 came out Bioware said they were targeting the CoD audience
    2. The Powers - have been mapped to shortcut buttons - negating the -need- to pop open the radial menu for Shepard's powers (note that I said need and not option) - I very much doubt you'd have an AI controlled squad in any kind of ME so that takes care of that.
    3. The Business - All EA games in 2011 will have online play and DLC, no doubt Online Play will be much like their sports games and be a part of Project Ten Dollar

It's not going to be as bad as everyone thinks - and this is total speculation but I would imagine much like AC:BH we'll get a side story (maybe dip back into the ME history, First Contact, Krogan, or Rachni Wars) with a shorter Single Player story (with one or two tiny bits of info for super ME Nerds) and then the Big Paid Beta for ME3's Multiplayer. Bioware sits pretty high in my book (as I imagine quite a few other people's as well), the only time I felt like they were fucking around was with the DA:O DLC - everything for both ME and ME2 has been perfect. Can't knock it till I get my hands on it.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By penguindust
    @Brodehouse said:
     @PenguinDust:  And what are you talking about?  The multiplayer in BioShock 2 and Uncharted 2 is actually really fun, with some pretty original gameplay. "
    The quality of the multiplayer isn't the question as much as the perception of why it was added.  That appears to be the same roadblock that this rumored Mass Effect game is encountering as I read through the replies. A stand alone product is better able to craft it's own identity separate from the core franchise since it isn't thought of as an afterthought or a cheap cash-in.  These days, I feel that any single player game that includes competitive multiplayer in any sequel will meet that same opposition by fans.  Therefore, Bioshock 2's and Uncharted 2's online multiplayer feel tacked on regardless of how meritorious the final product actually is.  It might not be fair, but that's the way things seem to be.  Perception defines success. 
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vaile

Come on guys, let's have a little faith here.  BioWare has let us down once before and, to be perfectly honest, it would have taken more than a miracle to make a great Sonic game in 2008. I know I'd love to see how something like the First Contact War played out.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Revan_NL

Thank you EA (and Ubisoft) for putting multiplayer in games that don't need it (if this is to be true).

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By coaxmetal
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    " Just look at Mass Effect 2 and you'll know what this game is already, and it isn't as painful as you might think 
    1. The Shooting - has been revamped from the first ME to be more 'shootery' - and to that point just before ME2 came out Bioware said they were targeting the CoD audience
    2. The Powers - have been mapped to shortcut buttons - negating the -need- to pop open the radial menu for Shepard's powers (note that I said need and not option) - I very much doubt you'd have an AI controlled squad in any kind of ME so that takes care of that.
    3. The Business - All EA games in 2011 will have online play and DLC, no doubt Online Play will be much like their sports games and be a part of Project Ten Dollar
     It's not going to be as bad as everyone thinks - and this is total speculation but I would imagine much like AC:BH we'll get a side story (maybe dip back into the ME history, First Contact, Krogan, or Rachni Wars) with a shorter Single Player story (with one or two tiny bits of info for super ME Nerds) and then the Big Paid Beta for ME3's Multiplayer. Bioware sits pretty high in my book (as I imagine quite a few other people's as well), the only time I felt like they were fucking around was with the DA:O DLC - everything for both ME and ME2 has been perfect. Can't knock it till I get my hands on it. "
    ME History would be cool, didn't think about that. Not sure how I would feel about not playing Shepard in "modern" mass effect, but I could certainly see something like first contact. Krogan or Rachni wars, less likely, I am not sure if the humans were around then (could be wrong, don't remember the history that well), and dude in the teaser is human. 
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    " Just look at Mass Effect 2 and you'll know what this game is already, and it isn't as painful as you might think 
    That doesn't work though. A sci-fi game isn't "real enough" as cod
    games appear to be based on human events with human guns, look,
    & feel.  Not that many of them cared for Halo, so why would they give
    a care about Mass Effect?  They don't believe in shields, etc.  For cod
    players, the sci-fi game doesn't give a suspension of disbelief.  I'm a
    Mass Effect fan. A Halo fan. Heck, even a Star Trek Online fan. :P So
    for me, whatever Bioware comes out with will be pure gravy & I'll be
    buying it on release anyway.  I don't really see it taking over cod, unless
    cod starts moving into sci-fi territory (which may tick off the existing
    player base).
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pinworm45

I'm okay with this. It's not like it means ME3 won't come. I for one would like to see what they can do with it.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dingofighter

I just hope that they can find some way to make it actually fit in with the Mass Effect universe and story, and not shoehorn in a big war between all the races just for this game. 
    I'm usually for bending the story for better gameplay, but when it comes to Mass Effect, I think the story should come first.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SomeJerk

Future CoDs will head into the future farther than 2009's MW2 which took place in 2016. I personally look forward to multiplayer ME action because I dig the art direction and the style of it all, be it ME1 or ME2 or a mixture I've long wanted a multiplayer component. It'll be a multi-platform Halo - maybe not in sales numbers or hype but still!

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By EuanDewar

Hope its AC:Brotherhood style where the story is still the main focus but the multiplayer is getting more of a commerical push just cause its new.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Jeust
    @Revan_NL said:

" Thank you EA (and Ubisoft) for putting multiplayer in games that don't need it (if this is to be true). "

And taking a story that should be done in 3 games, and stretch it along 4 or 5. 
    Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Revan_NL
    @Jeust:  Yeah, that too. Nowadays publishers really do try to squeeze every dime out of their franchises, even more so compared to last generation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.