Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

What's the big deal with this game?

• 81 results
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

Wow, just...wow. Giantbomb users are really becoming assholes. I ask a question about Mass Effect and people get all defensive, I just wanted to know about the game. This is ridiculous. And then you say BioShock isn't unique? Give me a break, I find it very hard to believe that you actually think that. 

Giantbomb's really been going to hell lately. Really, I mean, did people want me to say, "This game looks like the best game ever" and then ask what was so special about it!? I was telling you what I thought and was asking to see if the people thought I was right, or could tell me why I'm wrong! But most of you just had to say how dumb I was, or how generic one of the most unique games ever is! C'mon now, that's just dumb!

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By turbomonkey138

Well maybe you should play it then .

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By raviolisumo

Squad Based Shooter makes it sounds like Rainbow Six. It's nothing like that at all.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The first game scored over 90% on gamerankings, it stood the test of quality. Second of all, it's alot like fallout 3, with less side missions and it's own pause screen with alot of different options like which guns to choose, where to move your team and also biotic powers. It also has a good story and interesting setting in space and the second game will be even better. It's a space rpg game, that's what makes it so special.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

Because Mass Effect 1 is a great game, and Bioware is a great developer.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By canucks23

Before i played ME1 i didn't think it looked all that impressive, but after i played it i knew i was going to get the 2nd one the day it was out. There's something about it that's just, i dunno awesome. It's a solid rpg, with a great setting.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @HitmanAgent47: Would you call it an open world game? Or is it not that much like Fallout 3.
    fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By fishmicmuffin

The story. The story is awesome. You can get the first game for pretty cheap now, so you owe it to yourself to try it out and to see if you want to see where the story ends up going.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Andorski

It's an RPG where you should your enemies.  That is what sold me.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @natetodamax said:
    " Because Mass Effect 1 is a great game, and Bioware is a great developer. "
    You didn't answer my question, I doubt you read the post.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By natetodamax
    @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " Because Mass Effect 1 is a great game, and Bioware is a great developer. "
    You didn't answer my question, I doubt you read the post. "
    Yes and yes.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Video game nerds like Mass Effect (its an rpg, and a good one at that).  Therefore a site full of video game nerds would be excited for Mass Effect 2.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By breadfan
    Hey guys, I didn't play the original game and I have no idea what I'm talking about so I made a thread on Giant Bomb.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @ADTR_ZERO: It's a bit more linear, you get a world or universe map with planets and stuff to travel. It's more story driven than fallout 3 to move forward in the story, however it's definently a rpg game, you can get new guns and armor and stuff like an rpg game.
    dulmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dulmonkey

by that view isn't bioshock 2 an FPS under water? Mass Effect one had that X factor that is hard to put into words. it does a lot lot of stuff that has been done before, but it does them well and is a blast to play. It you like shooters and a good story, pick up Mass Effect and see for yourself. It's probably less than ten dollars used .

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iamjohn
    @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " I myself am looking forward to BioShock 2. I am a few hours into the first and I can't believe I didn't pick it up sooner. I just don't seem to get tired of checking every little corner of Rapture, it's just such an amazing atmosphere. Mass Effect 2...you're in space, yeah, haven't seen that before. I just don't get it, can somebody fill me in? "
    Comparing two completely different games that aren't similar in any aspect except "you play as a dude who has a gun" sure makes sense, right? 

The fact that you are looking forward to Bioshock 2 gives me more reason to find no value in any of your threads.
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @Br3adfan said:
    " Hey guys, I didn't play the original game and I have no idea what I'm talking about so I made a thread on Giant Bomb. "
    Right, I have no idea what I'm talking about. That's why I asked a question to see why this game is so special. What's your point? Are you trying to get attention or something? Are you not loved in the real world?
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bubahula

Mass effect is amazing. your summary made it clear that you know little about it.
    maybe you should play it.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By rjayb89

Ever play a Bioware game?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By natetodamax
    @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @Br3adfan said:
    " Hey guys, I didn't play the original game and I have no idea what I'm talking about so I made a thread on Giant Bomb. "
    Right, I have no idea what I'm talking about. That's why I asked a question to see why this game is so special. What's your point? Are you trying to get attention or something? Are you not loved in the real world? "
    You are questioning why Mass Effect 2 is being hyped when you made it clear right from the get-go that you never played the first game. I especially liked it how you implied that Mass Effect was unoriginal, and yet in Bioshock you shoot people who are shooting back at you and you can fire lighting from your hand. Yeah, I totally haven't seen that. So stop being ignorant.
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By SteamPunkJin

It's a great RPG, with a third person shooter combat system, that is to say it is a far cry from 'squad-based shooters'; it's closer to Knights of the Old Republic than Rainbow Six.
    It's more than a space shooter, it's a very well crafted RPG with excellent balance between combat and story, great voice acting that brings all of the characters to life. It has it's flaws but it's a great game and the hype around the sequel is deserved.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @Bubahula said:
    " Mass effect is amazing. your summary made it clear that you know little about it. maybe you should play it. "
    Probably, but I am out of moneys! 

@iAmJohn
    said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " I myself am looking forward to BioShock 2. I am a few hours into the first and I can't believe I didn't pick it up sooner. I just don't seem to get tired of checking every little corner of Rapture, it's just such an amazing atmosphere. Mass Effect 2...you're in space, yeah, haven't seen that before. I just don't get it, can somebody fill me in? "
    Comparing two completely different games that aren't similar in any aspect except "you play as a dude who has a gun" sure makes sense, right?  The fact that you are looking forward to Bioshock 2 gives me more reason to find no value in any of your threads. "
    So, liking BioShock and being interested in BioShock 2 gives my thread no credibility? 

"You play as a dude who has a gun." There's so much more to it than that, maybe you should play it? And I also could say the same about mass Effect, you play as a dude who has a gun. 

Yep, because you play as a dude with a gun is Mass Effect, you must be a complete idiot. 

See how your logic works?
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iamjohn
    @ADTR_ZERO said:

" @Br3adfan said:

Right, I have no idea what I'm talking about. That's why I asked a question to see why this game is so special. What's your point? Are you trying to get attention or something? Are you not loved in the real world? "
    We could ask the same thing about you and the fact that almost all your threads are "THIS GAME IS STUPID OR LOOKS STUPID.  WHY DO PEOPLE CARE ABOUT THIS GAME THAT LOOKS SO STUPID?" when you could, you know, actually look up information about the games? You might not be aware of this, but there are things called "reviews," "videos," and "forum posts" that talk about why people like certain games; the world does not revolve around your stealth trolling to get people to tell you why something is good. 

And yes, being interested in an unnecessary sequel that lacks the visionaries behind the first one adds to the list of reasons why your threads have no credibility.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By breadfan
    @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @Br3adfan said:
    Oh you silly troll.  
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @Br3adfan said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @Br3adfan said:
    Oh you silly troll.   "
    Good reply. I guess you figured out your point was moot and you really served no purpose to my thread, so you insult me to try to shift the blame. 

I'll be waiting for my answer.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NoXious
    @ADTR_ZERO:
    And there's so much more to Mass Effect, maybe you should play it.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By breadfan
    @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @Br3adfan said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @Br3adfan said:
    Oh you silly troll.   "
    Good reply. I guess you figured out your point was moot and you really served no purpose to my thread, so you insult me to try to shift the blame.   I'll be waiting for my answer. "
    I like how you edit your original post so that no one can see how it lacked any actual discussion value or validity, then you attack anyone who calls you out. 

So here is my reply, stop making shit topics.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pause422

Edit your opening post away, and make it sound like its the community that is against you for no legitimate reason, when its obvious you bought any responses you would call negative, on yourself.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @pause422 said:
    " Edit your opening post away, and make it sound like its the community that is against you for no legitimate reason, when its obvious you bought any responses you would call negative, on yourself. "
    I would like to know how I brought them on myself. 

Oh, that's right, I didn't know every detail about one video game so I asked a question. What a terrible thing for me to do. 

@Br3adfan:
     I like how you say "Calls you out." because nobody should have "called me out" for asking a question.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By breadfan
    @ADTR_ZERO said: 
    @Br3adfan: I like how you say "Calls you out." because nobody should have "called me out" for asking a question. "
    It was not so much the question, as your reasoning for asking the question.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jkz

If you had said "what is it that makes Mass Effect Unique" rather than going on a rant about why it looks like shit, I assure you, you would have gotten more kind, meaningful replies.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @Br3adfan said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO said: 
    @Br3adfan: I like how you say "Calls you out." because nobody should have "called me out" for asking a question. "
    It was not so much the question, as your reasoning for asking the question. "
    But I don't quite understand what was so wrong, and nobody could just tell me without being a dick. Why did you have to keep dragging this on and saying how I'm wrong and my posts are shit? Why couldn't you just tell me and help make Giantbomb a better community!?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @ADTR_ZERO: Also mass effect has a squad unlike bioshock. Bioshock only has one path you can go, it's very linear. Maybe you should rent the game to see what the fuss is about, it's actually very good. I bought it on the pc, I didn't think it was going to be very good, it turned out to be one of my favorite games of all time.
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @jukezypoo said:
    " If you had said "what is it that makes Mass Effect Unique" rather than going on a rant about why it looks like shit, I assure you, you would have gotten more kind, meaningful replies. "
    But I was stating my opinions!!! Did you want me to say, "I think this looks like the best game ever! What makes it so special?"  

That would be retarded and I would have no need to ask a question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By GeneralTurkle
    @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " If you had said "what is it that makes Mass Effect Unique" rather than going on a rant about why it looks like shit, I assure you, you would have gotten more kind, meaningful replies. "
    But I was stating my opinions!!! Did you want me to say, "I think this looks like the best game ever! What makes it so special?"   That would be retarded and I would have no need to ask a question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
    You came in here with the attitude of a troll, then got trolled.  People like Mass Effect, keep your opinion to yourself if you're gonna whine
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Demyx

If you don't know anything about it, I would look at some reviews for the first, and gameplay videos for the sequel. And then you might understand more. Its also much more than being just in space.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @GeneralTurkle said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    But I was stating my opinions!!! Did you want me to say, "I think this looks like the best game ever! What makes it so special?"   That would be retarded and I would have no need to ask a question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
    You came in here with the attitude of a troll, then got trolled.  People like Mass Effect, keep your opinion to yourself if you're gonna whine "
    Who the hell is whining!? This community is pathetic if everybody takes everything so offensively. 

"Wah wah wah! He never played Mass Effect before! Wah wah wah!" I don't think I'm "whining" here.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jkz
    @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @GeneralTurkle said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    You came in here with the attitude of a troll, then got trolled.  People like Mass Effect, keep your opinion to yourself if you're gonna whine "
    Who the hell is whining!? This community is pathetic if everybody takes everything so offensively.  "Wah wah wah! He never played Mass Effect before! Wah wah wah!" I don't think I'm "whining" here. "
    Wait, how have you formed opinions without playing the game? If you wanted people's opinions, you could have asked for them without injecting your own opinion, which has been gleaned from nothing but a few screen-shots and gameplay videos (judging by your responses that is).
    GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GeneralTurkle
    @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @GeneralTurkle said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    Who the hell is whining!? This community is pathetic if everybody takes everything so offensively.  "Wah wah wah! He never played Mass Effect before! Wah wah wah!" I don't think I'm "whining" here. "
    lol, I'm just trying to help bro. Continue on said rant
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By breadfan
    @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " I don't think I'm "whining" here.  

No Caption Provided
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Jeust
    @ADTR_ZERO said:

" @jukezypoo said:

don't take it seriously... 

i too don't find it all that special, but to each its own. But it doesn't look nothing like fallout 3 lol

People are hyped because the game is from bioware, and some of their options in first game will carry its consequences into this one. Also the publicity is quite interesting and seductive.  Ahhh and all the promises about bettering the gameplay, and the curiosity about the story. 

All this in a nutshell.

What doesn't really warm to me is the fact that this isn't the final game nof the trilogy, so we'll have probably a half baked ending, and, at least for me, the companions, besides the assassin, don't look all that hot (pun intended). Also i liked the Mako, and the mass effect universe isn't my favourite one.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By scarace360

Because it a bioware game it they are mostly good. Even though i don't care about mass effect.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @Jeust said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    don't take it seriously...   i too don't find it all that special, but to each its own. But it doesn't look nothing like fallout 3 lol  People are hyped because the game is from bioware, and some of their options in first game will carry its consequences into this one. Also the publicity is quite interesting and seductive.  Ahhh and all the promises about bettering the gameplay, and the curiosity about the story.   All this in a nutshell.  What doesn't really warm to me is the fact that this isn't the final game, so we'll have probably a half baked ending, and, at least for me, the companions despite the assassin, don't look all that hot (pun intended). Also i liked the Mako, and the mass effect universe isn't my favourite one. "
    Thank you.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By natetodamax
    @ADTR_ZERO said:
    I don't recall anyone saying anything like that in this thread.
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO: Also mass effect has a squad unlike bioshock. Bioshock only has one path you can go, it's very linear. Maybe you should rent the game to see what the fuss is about, it's actually very good. I bought it on the pc, I didn't think it was going to be very good, it turned out to be one of my favorite games of all time. "
    Well, BioShock could have given you more exploring options, but I think they had just the right amount of exploration. If they made it more oped, it would become more like a half-baked open world game, which would kind of suck.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jkz
    @Br3adfan said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " I don't think I'm "whining" here.  

No Caption Provided
    "
    NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo, DONT CRY KITTAY!!
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @natetodamax said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO said:
    I don't recall anyone saying anything like that in this thread. "
    Don't be a smart-ass.
    nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nail1080

Wow you guys fell for the troll.... lol

GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GeneralTurkle
    @ADTR_ZERO said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO said:
    I don't recall anyone saying anything like that in this thread. "
    Don't be a smart-ass. "
    You asked for it....
    PushThePig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PushThePig

@ADTR_ZERO: 
    Not trying to be offensive, but it seems to me you just thanked someone who gave their also lukewarm opinion of the game, yet when people told you why they like the game you ignored them or said that their opinion was flawed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.