Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

'From Ashes' DLC Kerfuffle - What Did You Do?

• 197 results
    canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By canucks23

I pre-ordered the DDE a couple months ago, so i really don't care.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#52  Edited By spazmaster666

Getting the standard edition and will get the DLC on launch day. No reason for me to spend extra $$ on a collector's edition when all I want is that DLC. Also, the $10 promotion I got for preordering on Amazon basically pays for that DLC anyway.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By rawrz

@Seppli: Well yeah $70 is not something I feel like paying which is why ill wait to get the dlc when its on sale sometime. I just dont get why its such a big deal if the content wasnt even done in time to make the game before it went gold, so there only options are to put it out day one or hold off and wait to put it out. Its just another DLC pack just like the ones they had for ME2 which were side missions and shit. Its not like its some key part of the story they just cut out for the sake of sales.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Seppli
    @Rawrz said:

@Seppli: Well yeah $70 is not something I feel like paying which is why ill wait to get the dlc when its on sale sometime. I just dont get why its such a big deal if the content wasnt even done in time to make the game before it went gold, so there only options are to put it out day one or hold off and wait to put it out. Its just another DLC pack just like the ones they had for ME2 which were side missions and shit. Its not like its some key part of the story they just cut out for the sake of sales.

Not to produce price gauging and fan exploiting DLC to begin with would solve all problems. Work on proper expansions, respectively DLC add-ons, that'd make sense from a 'Consumer Perspective'.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Seppli said:
    @Dany

I am aware of the facts, I'm sure most who 'care that much' are too. It's not a factual debate though. A buyer of a standard edition does perceive that he's getting less game than the CE customer, even if he's here soley for the game and not for all the collector 'trash'/'merch'. That's simply unacceptable. Cosmetic digital stuff and physical fan service is fine, 'From Ashes' is not.

Publishers and producers have to care about the 'Consumer Experience'. Day 1 integral story DLC offers a shitty consumer experience, because it seems like price gauging and fan exploitation. The facts of developement are more complex than that. Despite these facts, the negative impact on the 'Consumer Experience' is undeniable and has to be avoided. DLC should expand on the ending of a game, not integrate into core game and narrative. A good DLC 'Customer Experience' is about 'Do you want more?' and not about 'Do you want the full game?'. Let's be honest. 'From Ashes' is price gauging and fan exploitation though. Why - because that's the effect it has on many of us. I am living proof.
    Integral implies that you expect From Ashes to be an important part in understanding the Mass Effect fiction and in-fact necessary even though you don't even know that it is. You just know the basics without knowing the context of his character and mission, you're just speculating about how EA/BioWare are hurting its fans by making him a CE free thing.  DLC doesn't necessarily have to expand on the ending of a game.  "Do you want more?"  Just needs to mean an expansion of the universal fiction or added game time as long as it wasn't ripped out of the main game which is NOT what "From Ashes" is according to the developers and leaked story information and the knowledge of how game development works.
    TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By TheGorilla

Where is the "I don't care because I'm not a manbaby" option?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Seppli
    @SethPhotopoulos said:

@Seppli said:

@Dany

I am aware of the facts, I'm sure most who 'care that much' are too. It's not a factual debate though. A buyer of a standard edition does perceive that he's getting less game than the CE customer, even if he's here soley for the game and not for all the collector 'trash'/'merch'. That's simply unacceptable. Cosmetic digital stuff and physical fan service is fine, 'From Ashes' is not.

Publishers and producers have to care about the 'Consumer Experience'. Day 1 integral story DLC offers a shitty consumer experience, because it seems like price gauging and fan exploitation. The facts of developement are more complex than that. Despite these facts, the negative impact on the 'Consumer Experience' is undeniable and has to be avoided. DLC should expand on the ending of a game, not integrate into core game and narrative. A good DLC 'Customer Experience' is about 'Do you want more?' and not about 'Do you want the full game?'. Let's be honest. 'From Ashes' is price gauging and fan exploitation though. Why - because that's the effect it has on many of us. I am living proof.

Integral implies that you expect From Ashes to be an important part in understanding the Mass Effect fiction and in-fact necessary even though you don't even know that it is. You just know the basics without knowing the context of his character and mission, you're just speculating about how EA/BioWare are hurting its fans by making him a CE free thing.  DLC doesn't necessarily have to expand on the ending of a game.  "Do you want more?"  Just needs to mean an expansion of the universal fiction or added game time as long as it wasn't ripped out of the main game which is NOT what "From Ashes" is according to the developers and leaked story information and the knowledge of how game development works.
    Integral means it embeds itself into the core game and is not an add-on happening 'after the game'. Zaeed Messani wasn't 'that big a character' either and his story was wrapped up quickly and neatly, but it was a memorable part of my initial ME2 playthrough. It was integral to my 'day-1 experience'. At the very least 'From Ashes' will be that. Given the subject matter of ME3's DLC character, he and his mission will likely be much more relevant than Zaeed Messani and it will be a highly memorable and integral part of my Mass Effect 3 experience.

Again. Facts of Game Developement be damned. 'Consumer Experience'. It matters. Just because you thought you done nothing wrong, doesn't mean you didn't rape her. If your policies exploit fans and effectively gauge the price of your product, it's what you're doing. Even if you done no such thing.
    Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By Chop

I'm not paying an extra $10 bucks to get the complete game on day one. I'm fine with online passes but I'm not interested in day one DLC. I don't really give a shit about how it was produced and how story relevant it is or whatever, so save it. It feels unfair to me, personally, and I won't be getting the game because of it.

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Grelik

Im all in favour of this content getting produced so fast... Gives me some bonus content game at launch, but only if I want it. Whether or not you get this DLC you're still getting the full retail Mass Effect experience as intended by the developers.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Seppli said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Seppli said:

@Dany:

Publishers and producers have to care about the 'Consumer Experience'. Day 1 integral story DLC offers a shitty consumer experience, because it seems like price gauging and fan exploitation. The facts of developement are more complex than that. Despite these facts, the negative impact on the 'Consumer Experience' is undeniable and has to be avoided. DLC should expand on the ending of a game, not integrate into core game and narrative. A good DLC 'Customer Experience' is about 'Do you want more?' and not about 'Do you want the full game?'. Let's be honest. 'From Ashes' is price gauging and fan exploitation though. Why - because that's the effect it has on many of us. I am living proof.
    Integral implies that you expect From Ashes to be an important part in understanding the Mass Effect fiction and in-fact necessary even though you don't even know that it is. You just know the basics without knowing the context of his character and mission, you're just speculating about how EA/BioWare are hurting its fans by making him a CE free thing. DLC doesn't necessarily have to expand on the ending of a game. "Do you want more?" Just needs to mean an expansion of the universal fiction or added game time as long as it wasn't ripped out of the main game which is NOT what "From Ashes" is according to the developers and leaked story information and the knowledge of how game development works.
    Integral means it embeds itself into the core game and is not an add-on happening 'after the game'. Zaeed Messani wasn't 'that big a character' either and his story was wrapped up quickly and neatly, but it was a memorable part of my initial ME2 playthrough. It was integral to my 'day-1 experience'. At the very least 'From Ashes' will be that. Given the subject matter of the ME3's bonus character, he and his mission will likely be much more relevant than Zaeed Messani and it will be a highly memorable and integral part of my Mass Effect 3 experience. Again. Facts of Game Developement be damned. 'Consumer Experience'.

Months back the CE edition was stated to have a bonus character. For the standard edition what you get free is the multiplayer mode never before seen in the Mass Effect series.

To alleviate sales lost to the second-hand market and rentals, only unused copies of Mass Effect 3 will come with an online pass allowing players full access to the online multiplayer mode. Once the pass is activated, it cannot be used again; therefore, players who buy the game used will be required to pay an additional fee in order to use multiplayer.

They are giving a new mode of gameplay that is actually more integral to the fiction of Mass Effect than what the DLC supposedly has for free to the standard edition consumers. You having this new character does not have as much of an effect on the singleplayer ending as much as the multiplayer mode does.@Seppli said:

@Seppli said:
    Just because you thought you done nothing wrong, doesn't mean you didn't rape her. If your policies exploit fans and effectively gauges the price of your product, it's what you're doing. Even if you done no such thing.

1. There was absolutely no need to go there.

2. They didn't do anything wrong. In fact they delivered on their promise to the CE consumers believing that by adding a new mode it would satiate all consumers. Bonus content for CE which doesn't have as much impact on the overall experience (something they promised last year) and giving something new and important to the standard edition consumers ala the multiplayer mode.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By Brendan

@Seppli said:

@MB said:

@Seppli said:

I'm okay with it, but I'm also sick to my stomach.

"I'm okay with it, but I'm also not okay with it."

What!?

Exactly!

Should developers not make content after the game goes gold, or intentionally hold it back to make you feel better? There's nothing inherently wrong here, other than consumers who don't have a complete perspective on game development, including poor Francis in that video you showed.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By CL60

@Brendan said:

@Seppli said:

@MB said:

@Seppli said:

What!?

Exactly!

Should developers not make content after the game goes gold, or intentionally hold it back to make you feel better? There's nothing inherently wrong here, other than consumers who don't have a complete perspective on game development, including poor Francis in that video you showed.

This. Day 1 DLC is fine if it's not on the disc. And this isn't. And was finished after the game went gold. This type of day 1 DLC is the type of stuff you would see on a "behind the scenes - cut content" type of feature before we had the ability to get DLC.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Brendan

@CL60 said:

@Brendan said:

@Seppli said:

@MB said:

@Seppli said:

What!?

Exactly!

This. Day 1 DLC is fine if it's not on the disc. And this isn't. And was finished after the game went gold. This type of day 1 DLC is the type of stuff you would see on a "behind the scenes - cut content" type of feature before we had the ability to get DLC.

As an extra point, this extra work could have been done during the time that, before the current generation of games, was spent taking a break by most of the development team. Back in the 90's when everything was apparently peachy they may not have had to deal with the reality of continuing work after the main project was done as often as developers do now.

The current reality includes DLC, and DLC is probably most worth it when the game is still relevant in player's collective mind-share. So when the game is done instead of taking a short vacation the devs must keep cracking the whip to keep content flowing, and that may not make the original game any less complete than it's 90's era counterpart would have been.

With large specialized dev teams being another reality of complex modern AAA's, it's a lot more common to have groups of people that may be done their part of the game earlier than another team, as opposed to the "golden era" when a single room of people would be working on the same thing, making it completely bogus if some of them stopped working on the main project to just start making some chunk of game play to hit at launch date.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By shirogane

Well, this just means that i'll wait for some sale before i get the game, whereas i maybe considered getting it before. Of course, if someone is willing to tell me a surefire way to import my 360 saves to PC, that actually works, then i might end up rushing out and preordering the Collectors.

We can't really say much about this DLC thing yet, for all we know it'll turn out to be just a kinda short crappy pointless launch DLC, kinda like a lot of other launch DLCs are.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Enigma777 said:

@Seppli said:

@Enigma777 said:

I don't get it, what's the kerfuffle here?

Total Biscuit will fill you in.Or you check out this 'Francis' bit...

Wow.... Do those idiots realize that this is not the first time Bioware and EA have done this? DAO had day-1 DLC. Jesus Christ, I understand if it was a 2-hour mission cut from a 6-hour campaign, but it's a 45+ hour game.

Gamers are so entitled sometimes...

Yeah this doesn't seem like a big deal. I'm buying it regardless.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By xyzygy

Personally I think having this character in your party is a pretty massive jump from just having him around as an NPC. I mean, when you finally hear who it actually is and how important he is to the whole narrative since Mass Effect 1 it is just stupid how he's DLC. I'm completely boycotting this game now, maybe I'll get it on the cheap in a year or so when everything is packaged together AS IT SHOULD BE.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Seppli
    @Brendan: @CL60

I said it before and I say it again. This argument is about the 'Consumer Experience'. You simply cannot have paid day-1-DLC which seamlessly integrates into the whole of the game and its story, because regardless of 'development facts', its effects are price gauging and feel like fan exploitation to those who didn't want to spend 80$ on a CE. 'From Ashes' translates into a 'Do You Want the Full Game?' consumer experience, which simply is a distasteful question to ask on the day and date of your initial release. I certainly am not entirely cool with the 70$-80$ price tag on the full Mass Effect 3 launch experience.

First of all. Paid DLC should never be produced as an integral part of your core game and story. Second of all, before you offer optional content of this variety, let players play through the game and decide if they want more or not. Don't hold DLC hostage for extra day-1-revenue. The facts of modern development don't prevent EA and Bioware from producing a less violating consumer experience. A meaty story DLC coming out 2 weeks after release, adding on additional pay-off and fanserivce content occuring after the core game's central story arc, like ME2's 'Lair of the Shadow Broker'DLC - that's a consumer experience I can stand by.

You are buying into their spin, which you shouldn't. 'From Ashes' effects on consumers is clearly price gauging and fan exploitation, regardless if they actually believe their own lies. While pulling a George Costanzo is likely what they're doing, the 'Consumer Experience' and reality paints a clear picture. Those who care, fans, feel exploited and forced into paying more for the full Mass Effect 3 experience right out of the gate. It's distateful to say the least. Hence my disgruntled stomach from buying into it. It's my own fault I know. Just like the abused wife.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @CL60 said:

@Seppli said:

@CL60 said:

I'm laughing at people who think it's a big deal. Since it's not on the disc. Was worked on by a different team after the game went gold. And the party member is in the main game, and the DLC is just a tacked on mission that adds him to your party.

Day and date Premium DLC is disgusting, to say the least. Especially given the loreheavy nature of this specific DLC. It pretty much ups the perceived price of admission for the full launch Mass Effect 3 experiece by 10-30 dollars. I'm okay with it, but I'm also sick to my stomach. I guess being cool ain't too high on EA's and Bioware's priority list anymore.

It's not lore heavy though. It's nothing. He's in the main game, the DLC just tacks him on as a party member.

A Prothean isn't lore heavy?  Which game series have you been playing?  The whole series fiction is driven by the existence of the Prothean.  Saying a Prothean isn't lore heavy to Mass Effect 3 is like saying the genie isn't important in Ali Baba and the Fourty Thieves (or Aladdin for you people who've only seen the Disney movie).
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By dagas

I think they could have made it a pre-order bonus or something rather than force people to pay for it, but by the end of the day it's not a huge deal. Games have had day one DLC before.

In the old days before DLC we would not have had this content avaliable at all. These days it's availiable if you want it. And I rather it be integrated into the story to make it interesting rather than some boring side story.

Would I have wanted the content for free? Sure, I would take the entire game for free if I could, but I actually have to pay money for it because, you know, people spent money to make it.

You don't say "OMG I can't believe they are charing extra for extra cheese on my pizza! And also it should be a side dish, not a topping I actually like and makes the pizza more tasty and they should wait until after I have eaten the pizza before they offer it, not ask me when the pizza is smoking hot and I'm ready to eat!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Would you complain if they never offered this product to people who didn't buy the CE? Yes.

Would you complain if they had just never made the character, and you saw their half-done ideas in the artbook? Yes.

Would you complain if they made the character for the CEs like they promised, and then made it available to other people if they pay half the price? Yes.

There's no win situation here for the developers. I don't know how they can stand to make things for an audience that has such a problem with everything they do. It's never enough.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Giefcookie

Wont be getting it day 1. I'd rather just wait a day or 2 and see what people think of the mission/character, if its actually interesting content I'll pick it up.

I dont feel like its worth losing sleep over though, just buy it if it seems like worth the price.

Getting the game from an online retailer and buying the dlc will still put me under the standard Origin edition price so its not a big deal.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Brodehouse said:

Would you complain if they never offered this product to people who didn't buy the CE? Yes.

Would you complain if they had just never made the character, and you saw their half-done ideas in the artbook? Yes.

Would you complain if they made the character for the CEs like they promised, and then made it available to other people if they pay half the price? Yes.

There's no win situation here for the developers. I don't know how they can stand to make things for an audience that has such a problem with everything they do. It's never enough.

A Prothean shouldn't be DLC.  It's really that simple.  You don't make a key plot beat DLC.
    Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Maystack

I actually want to cancel my standard edition and get the collectors edition but there aren't any left on the online stores. Gonna go into my local store on Monday and see if they have any left to preorder. If they don't I'll just stick with the standard and buy the dlc on day one. Mass Effect is one of the franchises that I'm willing to pay for extra content.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@SeriouslyNow said:

@CL60 said:

@Seppli said:

@CL60 said:

I'm laughing at people who think it's a big deal. Since it's not on the disc. Was worked on by a different team after the game went gold. And the party member is in the main game, and the DLC is just a tacked on mission that adds him to your party.

Day and date Premium DLC is disgusting, to say the least. Especially given the loreheavy nature of this specific DLC. It pretty much ups the perceived price of admission for the full launch Mass Effect 3 experiece by 10-30 dollars. I'm okay with it, but I'm also sick to my stomach. I guess being cool ain't too high on EA's and Bioware's priority list anymore.

It's not lore heavy though. It's nothing. He's in the main game, the DLC just tacks him on as a party member.

A Prothean isn't lore heavy? Which game series have you been playing? The whole series fiction is driven by the existence of the Prothean. Saying a Prothean isn't lore heavy to Mass Effect 3 is like saying the genie isn't important in Ali Baba and the Fourty Thieves (or Aladdin for you people who've only seen the Disney movie).

I don't think you can say much about the context or how big of a plot beat it is, at this point. To go along with your example, it's possible this DLC would be the equivalent of a story of how the genie decided on his haircut. It's about the genie, but it doesn't have shit to do with anything.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Zithe

@phonicpod said:

@Brodehouse said:

So true, even if it was free some people would find something to complain about... it's free but it's too short, waah... bioware didn't include the devs blood in the CE.. etc.

Utter entitled bullshit....

I don't think so. I think if they had released it like they did with the guy from ME2 to encourage buying new copies, the customer would have felt rewarded. This isn't about entitlement. I'm aware it's well within Bioware's rights to do this. I just don't think this is the best way they could have handled it.

The real problem is the mixing of game content with bonus content. A lot of companies are starting to do this and it's getting worse. Bioware wouldn't be in this mess if they had stuck to physical/real world bonuses in the CE.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Capum15

Haven't really followed this too well, but I'll stick to Standard and maybe get the DLC. Not sure on that, but I might.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#77  Edited By Panpipe

Vote with your money.

No fan whining is ever going to stop a company from trying to make money. If you don't give them any money for that DLC they developed, they won't bother developing day-one DLC again. The end.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F.

I ordered the CE out of respect for the series.
    I loved ME1, ME2 was also great (it has flaws, but still super universe that I love to play in!) and ME3 will also knock me away for sure.

That said I am not at all pleased with what they've done with the story, characters or gameplay but I'm willing to not think about it.
    The mere fact I am thinking about such a thing is ruining the game for me.
    It'll be cool, it'll be big, it'll be the conclusion to what may perhaps be my favorite videogame story of all time.

One more time, one more CE.
    Finish the fight.

Oh wait.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By FritzDude

Their comment on this doesn't add up to me. If they couldn't put this in the finished game then why is it in the N7CE of the game? I think they should just put this in every new copy of the game like what they did with the Cerberus Network & Zaeed in ME2. But whatever, it cost 560 Microsoft points correct, or is it 800? It's not 'that' much money to me, but it is frustrated to already purchase story content to the game on day-one.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Jimbo

I didn't know anything about it when I pre-ordered the standard edition. It does taint the trilogy a bit for me to know I am now missing out on day one content, despite having supported the trilogy since it began and never having needed to buy Day 1 DLC to get the full experience before.

I've been buying Bioware games for going on 15 years, but I think this is going to be the last one unless they start treating their customers with a little more respect. When they have competitors out there like CD Projekt RED supporting their products and their customers like they do, it's becoming increasingly hard to feel good about supporting Bioware.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @HaltIamReptar said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@CL60 said:

@Seppli said:

@CL60 said:

A Prothean isn't lore heavy? Which game series have you been playing? The whole series fiction is driven by the existence of the Prothean. Saying a Prothean isn't lore heavy to Mass Effect 3 is like saying the genie isn't important in Ali Baba and the Fourty Thieves (or Aladdin for you people who've only seen the Disney movie).

I don't think you can say much about the context or how big of a plot beat it is, at this point. To go along with your example, it's possible this DLC would be the equivalent of a story of how the genie decided on his haircut. It's about the genie, but it doesn't have shit to do with anything.

Bit of a stretch mate.  The Protheans are central to the plot so unless Bioware retconned the whole plot whether or not he joins your party isn't the same as whether or not the genie had a haircut.  If he joins your party you can be damn sure it has to with Shep's involvement with the Prothean artifact.  Bioware loves to gouge their fans.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#82  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

What so different about this DLC that people get mad about it but don't mind other games having day 1 DLC?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Seppli
    @FritzDude said:

Their comment on this doesn't add up to me. If they couldn't put this in the finished game then why is it in the N7CE of the game? I think they should just put this in every new copy of the game like what they did with the Cerberus Network & Zaeed in ME2. But whatever, it cost 560 Microsoft points correct, or is it 800? It's not 'that' much money to me, but it is frustrated to already purchase story content to the game on day-one.

'From Ashes' retails at 800 Microsoft Points/Bioware Points. 1600 Microsoft Points/Bioware Points are 30$ for me. For most regions outside of the US, this circumstance translates into a 15$ pricetag on the DLC. The CE comes at a 30$ premium. At launch - the full Mass Effect 3 experience costs between 75$ and 90$ dollars for me. It's a little more reasonable in the US ranging from 70$ to 80$. Ludicrous nonetheless.

EA/Bioware clearly is maximizing its profits by making only the CE/DDE come with the full game out of the box at release. Of course its got a spin on it and many a fan seems to willingly buy into its deflecting drivel. Its rhetoric is perfectly reasonable and easily backed by hard 'development facts'. All of that doesn't change the effect the 'From Ashes' DLC has on a large portion of consumers, who naturally gravitate to buying 'the full game', but don't want all superfan crap a CE/DDE usually comes with.

The truth of the matter is, this DLC exploits me and others like me for being fans. It's a brazen raise of price of admission to the full game experience by 15$ to 30$, respectively 10$ to 20$ for US customers. I am not entirely cool with this. Nobody should be entirely cool with this.

At least I have faith that EA's and Bioware's employees believe in their own lies. That has some integrity. And I'm kinda rooting for them as an evil corporation. Activision really got the better of EA in recent years, by being way more evil and making way more money. Just look at Call of Duty Elite and how it rakes in the DLC subscription millions, while EA/DICE's good guy routine backfired badly and it struggles to establish a similar service for Battlefield 3 (which should have been officially revealed two weeks ago).

In the end I got to say. Good for you EA. You are back on track to being as unapologetically evil as you have to be. It's good to have you back... I guess?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Seppli
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

What so different about this DLC that people get mad about it but don't mind other games having day 1 DLC?

Almost all previous day 1 DLC was either cosmetic or redundant in nature, or did come free with a preorder or a simple new game purchase. The only other instance of such a thing occuring day and date with a game's release is Dragon Age : Origin's Warden Keep DLC, which was espcially devious, because it included the only storage chest for that game.

I feel like EA/Bioware did probe our collective anus periodically with a somewhat lubricated finger or two. Now it feels confident that the time is ripe for a proper buttfucking, and this time they're not using any lube at all. Lookie there. It didn't even hurt that much. In fact, some of you guys don't mind getting it up the arse one bit. Personally, I still smell the shit on the stick when it gets pulled out of my rear. At least buy me dinner before you...

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By FritzDude

@Seppli: But all in all it's still cheaper for us who just bought the standard version and then bought this DLC than the populus who bought the N7CE with all that cosmetic and extras that probably won't even be touched by the majority who purchased it, ius?

It's funny that the day I should pre-order the special version, the store was sold out, even if they had it in the day before. And then when I saw that the store got in a few more copies I didn't care, but when I cared again they were sold out. And now they have a little more copies left for pre-orders, but now I don't care... again. Madness!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By AndrewB

Here's the thing.

Bioware DLC has sometimes been nifty, but none of it has been necessary. I feel like their full retail products are still as complete as they need to be, and I'm not so completionist-oriented that I'll be sucked into tossing more money at them for extra content. If the DLC in question turns out to be a necessity to get the most out of the game, then I'll call it a mistake. The worst that happens then is that I read up on a wiki about what happens, or watch a youtube video.

With the direction that Bioware is being led down anyway, I don't even know how much longer their products will appeal to me, so I'm not personally too concerned. When I feel they've crossed a line, I'll turn away.

Also to note, I'm going with route D. Not only do I want the standard edition packaging more (female Shepard swap), but I have it pre-ordered for a decent discount; enough so that if I wanted to buy the DLC anyway, I'd still come out a couple bucks under.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By MeierTheRed

Well i just turned 30 this week, and i decided sometime ago that i have been raped in the ass by game companies one too many times now. So i won't get ME3, i played the fuck out of ME 1 and 2, finished multiple times, and on multiple systems. But oddly enough i'm not excited about where they have taken ME3, so i won't have a hard time not playing it.

Besides Journey deserves my money a lot more, and i'm still playing BF3 on the PC. Plus i have Saints Row 3, Arkham City and Dead Island i haven't even started yet.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Seppli

At the end of the day, all it has to do is to try and fuck us the best it possibly can. It does not see us as equals, but as the donkey's ass. It'll never have to look us in the eye. All it needs to do is to court our tender hole with hype and a decent enough product, until we willingly spread them cheeks and let it do its dirty business.

Unless it fuck us, it cannot look its shareholders in the eyes. Hell, it runs the risk of losing its head, if the shareholders aren't sufficiently pleased with its efforts to fuck us as hard as we possibly can take it. It seems we can take a lot. Next time. Double anal. Gaping bunghole supreme. The shareholders will be so pleased.

Eventually, we will develop a taste for its abuse. We never felt more alive than this, having a bag of dicks crammed up our arses. Like a cookie full of cream filling. So sweet.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By MeierTheRed

@Enigma777 said:

@Seppli said:

@Enigma777 said:

I don't get it, what's the kerfuffle here?

Total Biscuit will fill you in.Or you check out this 'Francis' bit...

Wow.... Do those idiots realize that this is not the first time Bioware and EA have done this? DAO had day-1 DLC. Jesus Christ, I understand if it was a 2-hour mission cut from a 6-hour campaign, but it's a 45+ hour game.

Gamers are so entitled sometimes...

If you watched the Total Biscuit video you would know he acknowledged the DAO DLC. And sure gamers are so entitled sometimes, but if we keep bending over and taking it up the poop shute and put a big smile on our face after they discharge, they will keep doing it. Maybe its ok with you, but my ass is sore, and i wont take another foreign object in my rusty balloon knot any more.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By AndrewB

@pornstorestiffi said:

...And sure are so entitled sometimes, but if we keep bending over and taking it up the poop shoot and put a big smile on our face after they discharge, they will keep doing it. Maybe its ok with you, but my ass is sore, and i wont take another foreign object in my rusty balloon knot any more.

That's the bottom line here, guys. I'm one of the only ones doing this (and by doing this, I mean speaking with my wallet, not bending over), not much is going to change, is it?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Seppli
    @AndrewB said:

@pornstorestiffi said:

...And sure are so entitled sometimes, but if we keep bending over and taking it up the poop shoot and put a big smile on our face after they discharge, they will keep doing it. Maybe its ok with you, but my ass is sore, and i wont take another foreign object in my rusty balloon knot any more.

That's the bottom line here, guys. I'm one of the only ones doing this, not much is going to change, is it?

Indeed. Hence option F. in the poll for me. I feel sullied by its evil taint. Abused. And it's entirely my own fault.
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#92  Edited By Deranged

I already had the Collectors edition pre-ordered for months now.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By phrosnite

Stick to Standard Edition. Will get DLC.

I'm weak.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Ghostiet
    @AndrewB said:

Bioware DLC has sometimes been nifty, but none of it has been necessary. I feel like their full retail products are still as complete as they need to be, and I'm not so completionist-oriented that I'll be sucked into tossing more money at them for extra content. If the DLC in question turns out to be a necessity to get the most out of the game, then I'll call it a mistake.

But it already happened with the Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#95  Edited By Red

I'd just like to point out that if characters like say, Kasumi and Zaeed were put into the original full version of Mass Effect 2, they'd seem out of place because they weren't as developed as other characters (you couldn't talk to them on your ship). Likewise, were the Warden's Keep thing added into the full version of Dragon Age, it would seem pretty out of place as it was a short, completely optional and unrelated piece of content. The only thing about Warden's Keep that was kind of awful was the guy in your camp trying to sell it to you. I switched from 360 to PC at a time when the collector's edition was sold out, so I will have to buy the pack. But that's totally fine with me.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Huh, so Bioware is offering you guys the character and mission I paid for by buying the N7 Collector's Edition?

You know what, if anyone has a reason to be pissed, it's the N7 Edition customers. We were promised a new squad member and added mission(s?) in the Collector's Edition. I am totally fine with Bioware offering my exclusive collector's content to the unwashed masses, but don't spit in their face because of it. Shit, I remember when CE content was only ever found in CE copies. You guys missed out on the CE? Fine, here, purchase the content you would've missed out on if it were truly exclusive to the CE.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By laserbolts

I will not get the CE or the dlc because I do not support this kind of shit.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By laserbolts

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Brodehouse said:

A Prothean shouldn't be DLC. It's really that simple. You don't make a key plot beat DLC.

How do you know its a key plot beat? The prothean may be in the game regardless and any lore you want may be provided. This could just be dlc to let the prothean join your group which to me wouldnt be a key plot beat at all.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By AndrewB

@Ghostiet said:

@AndrewB said:

Bioware DLC has sometimes been nifty, but none of it has been necessary. I feel like their full retail products are still as complete as they need to be, and I'm not so completionist-oriented that I'll be sucked into tossing more money at them for extra content. If the DLC in question turns out to be a necessity to get the most out of the game, then I'll call it a mistake.

But it already happened with the Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival.

Lair of the Shadow Broker... maybe. You might have me there. Arrival, I have no idea, since I didn't deem it necessary to buy myself. It felt more like promotional material for Mass Effect 3 that could have been given away, at the time. It obviously doesn't feel essential to me.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By DeShawn2ks

All this bitching about a dlc character we know nothing about. Where were you guys at when I was drunk a few months back wanting to play something different and I was complaining about 50cent Blood on the Sand being 60 bucks on games on demand. A downloadable version of a two year old average 50cent game going for 60 bucks on xbox live wtf.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.