Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Homosexuality in ME3. Your thoughts?

• 171 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

After reading a couple of 0 score fan "reviews" on meta critic condemming the game for its homosexual content, I started wondering how Giant Bomb felt about the issue.  More importantly, I'd like to discuss how you felt that the topic of homosexuality was treated in Mass Effect 3.

I'm fine with the inclusion of homosexuality, but I also noticed that none of the male characters in ME3 display even slightly flamboyantly gay behavior.    

Personally,  I've known several gay men who were fairly obviously gay, and there's nothing wrong with that.  I've met other gay men I would have never guessed were gay.  But there are some people who are naturally somewhat flamboyantly gay.  This game doesn't include them.  Which brings up the point, were BioWare respectful to homosexuals by not having a character "act gay," or disrespectful to homosexuals by having all of their gay chracters "act straight?"  Are there no somewhat flamboyantly gay people in ME3's vision of the future, or did BioWare intentionally not include even slightly flamboyantly gay chracters to avoid upsetting the vastly male, hetrosexual crowd that is their primary audience?

At any rate, I'm at least happy that Bioware is making an effort to make their games more inclusive. 
    Also, someone go tell fox news, so we can have another great scene of idiocy such as this:  
    happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By happenstance

I dont think it needed flamboyant gay characters. Thats just one part of the gay culture and probably not the majority as it is. Just like there are flamboyant straight people. The gay people in the game were written as people first and their sexuality didnt define them at all.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By AuthenticM

@SpaceInsomniac: You haven't met a lot of gay men if you think they all behave like faggots. Seriously, "act gay"? What the hell man.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Jost1

It is the least of that game's problems and is totally fine!

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Cataphract1014

It is funny how everyone is fine with Bioware games until it has dude on dude, Jade Empire had a female on female and a man on two chicks.

Mass effect 1 and 2 have Female on suspiciously looking female aliens.

BUT HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE. TWO DUDES KISSING? OVER THE FUCKING LINE.

As for the poll, I haven't seen the guy on guy stuff aside from the pilots story.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jacdg

Honestly, I don't give a flying shit.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By EuanDewar

I'm halfway(?) through and haven't seen any gay action for my Shep yet, which Is a shame cause I've always considered my shepherd to be Bisexual. I like the idea of Shepherd being open to anything.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

get over it

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

What do you mean they don't "seem like they're gay"? People who are gay don't wear a massive sticker telling people they're gay. It's totally impossible to tell unless they tell you. Depicting them like that is a million times better than making every gay character in the game a walking stereotype. That would just be painful and borderline homophobic.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Act gay? You're an idiot.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Cortez is a horribly written character.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @AuthenticM said:

@SpaceInsomniac: You haven't met a lot of gay men if you think they all behave like faggots. Seriously, "act gay"? What the hell man.

I've known several gay men who were fairly obviously gay, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Lots of other gay men I'm sure you would never guess were gay.  You're the one dropping slurs, and making generalizations about me. 
    Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, like others have said, I'd like to know your interpretation of 'seeming gay'? Are you annoyed about them not speaking in a feminine tone and wearing tight jeans?

My uncle is gay and is one of the most butch dudes I know, his partner is in no way 'flamboyant' either, I'd say a good majority of the homosexual population aren't the stereotypical camp guys you see in sitcoms so there's not much of a problem with how Bioware handled it.

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By m16mojo2

Fox did do a recall on this after ACTUALLY PLAYING the game, and seeing that it was a very MINOR aspect. They are still retards for not getting their facts straight.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yeah the game is much worse because Cortez isn't wearing a half shirt and making catty comments about Liara's scalp symmetry.

And Traynor is hardly playing any field hockey.

Cortez is ten years military, an engine nut, and he's at his freaking job. So far the only character who acts like a wanton pussyhound while he's on the clock is Shepard.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sasnake

Neil Patrick Harris is gay, he dosent act it, dude from Big Bang Theory is gay, he dosent seem it....and why is that heterosexual is ok to be in it, but any other type of sexuality being involved is suddenly HOLY SHIT WHAT??, homosexuality exists, its existed for a long time, so why shouldnt it be in a videogame?

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Because fighter pilots would wear pink scarves and call everyone darling?

Dude, wtf? I think the poll idea is cool, but your post comes across as really quite homophobic.

jbuchan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jbuchan76

I really don't get what the big deal is. So what there's gay men in the game..

For god's sake you can get it on with Aliens. I don't see anyone complaining about that..

Everyone has some sort of preference.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hatking

@SpaceInsomniac said:

Personally, I'm fine with the inclusion of homosexuality, but I found it kind of odd that none of the openly gay male chracters ever really seem like they're gay. I'm talking to this guy, and out of the blue he starts talking about his husband. Then he plays a voice recording of his husband, and that guy doesn't sound remotely homosexual either.

Yeah, I and in Mass Effect 2 I was really weirded out by how Jacob didn't always talk about basketball. I thought he was black.

Idiot.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ulain

@Happenstance said:

I dont think it needed flamboyant gay characters. Thats just one part of the gay culture and probably not the majority as it is. Just like there are flamboyant straight people. The gay people in the game were written as people first and their sexuality didnt define them at all.

This. I can think of two people off the top of my head who "act gay" quite a bit, but they're quite straight (one of them dated an ex of mine before I met her). Despite what something as stupid as Fox News and Will and Grace would lead you to believe, mannerisms have nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Just like straight relationships, it seems like "my husband" or "EDI has a lovely voice" are mentioned mostly in passing. Specialst Traynor isn't going around saying "Commander, you have a message at your terminal. By the way, have you been thinking about vaginas lately? I sure have!" Not that I have much respect for the intelligence of BW the past few months, but they could always say that same-sex relations are very normal, 150 years into the future from our present day, and that no one would bat an eyelash.

To be fair though, I'm a little worried being too nice to Cortez will make me flirt with him, so I choose renegade once in a while :P

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Dany

You sir can fuck off.

Act gay? Seriously? Go be ignorant somewhere else.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AuthenticM

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@AuthenticM said:

I've known several gay men who were fairly obviously gay, and there's nothing wrong with that. Lots of other gay men I'm sure you would never guess were gay. You're the one dropping slurs, and making generalizations about me.

Your original post leaves people reading it with the idea that you think all gay men should "act gay". If that's truly not what you think, you should have better clarified your point.

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DrLove

@HatKing said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

Personally, I'm fine with the inclusion of homosexuality, but I found it kind of odd that none of the openly gay male chracters ever really seem like they're gay. I'm talking to this guy, and out of the blue he starts talking about his husband. Then he plays a voice recording of his husband, and that guy doesn't sound remotely homosexual either.

Yeah, I and in Mass Effect 2 I was really weirded out by how Jacob didn't always talk about basketball. I thought he was black.

Idiot.

this

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By superpow

Everything about this is dumb.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AuthenticM

@HatKing said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

Oh dude, had I had something in my mouth at the moment of my reading of this, I swear I would have spit it all over my monitor. XD

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @MattyFTM said:

What do you mean they don't "seem like they're gay"? People who are gay don't wear a massive sticker telling people they're gay. It's totally impossible to tell unless they tell you. Depicting them like that is a million times better than making every gay character in the game a walking stereotype. That would just be painful and borderline homophobic.

There's a huge range between, "I had no idea he was gay" and "walking stereotype," and I'm absolutely thankful that BioWare didn't include the latter.  I agree that would have been hugely disrespectful.  I'm talking about something in the middle, leaning closer to the former. 

But there are people who are naturally somewhat flamboyantly gay.  I've met several of them in my life.  This game doesn't include them.  Is that being respectful, or done to avoid upsetting their mainstream fanbase?  That's all I intended to ask here.

At any rate, I'm at least happy that Bioware is making an effort to make their games more inclusive.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Animasta

honestly the lesbian romance in it was fucking creepy; traynor is an alright character, but man that shower scene... that romance with cortez seemed pretty good though

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#29  Edited By ArbitraryWater  Online

I think it's fine that it exists and I think it is handled as well as... well, Bioware romances usually are. I kinda take issue with how obsessed certain Bioware writers/fans are at making shepard kiss dudes/ladies, but I figure that if they can keep the pandering to just the romances and keep it from leaking out into the rest of the game I take no issue with it.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By evilrazer

I don't care weather homosexuality is present or not. Jbuchan67 had it right, you're having sex with aliens, so why would you give an eff about human?

GeneralZod37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GeneralZod37

@SpaceInsomniac: By not making either of the homosexual love interests flamboyant they are being completely respectful to their way of life. They're not going to go out of their way to show that they are gay. Treating it as a non issue was totally the way to go.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By danimal_furry

My policy: don't ask, don't tell.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dungbootle

Its nice that the options are there, shows progression in games.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ShadyPingu

Goddammit.

Why did you have to say the things you said.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cronus42

Saw no problem with it at all. Avoiding spoilers, it admittedly took me a bit off guard when the homosexual guy first talked about his deceased husband, partly because I forgot that the gay option was a thing in this game, and how casual it was. I think it was really tastefully done, and the character with the husband is actually a lot more interesting because of it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic

It's cool that they've added something that is a part of our lives, homosexuality should be present in any game that tries to depict a real and natural society. That's why I love GTA, they always include the real shit going on in the world. 

However, the fact that I went down to talk to Vega and found the other dude being all sad and shit, telling me his husband died, and as I tried to comfort him I got a "I'M HERE FOR YOU" dialogue option, is totally unfucking cool. 
    Now I'm gonna start avoiding that man so I don't make him think I wanna fuck him? Kind of game design is this?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ca419426ae1d
    deactivated-5ca419426ae1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dont have any problem with homosexuality, but part of me felt it was kinda tacky being in the game

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Animasta

@AhmadMetallic: he won't hate you if you don't choose to bone him you know...

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By Liquidus

Shepard can fuck an asari and a quarian but people don't like if there's an option to fuck another man? Get outta here.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cronus42

@AhmadMetallic: I haven't gotten far enough down his conversation tree, but I'm assuming it will be like any other relationship in the game; once you get to the final point before lovemaking you can choose the friend zone option.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @AuthenticM said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@AuthenticM said:

I've known several gay men who were fairly obviously gay, and there's nothing wrong with that. Lots of other gay men I'm sure you would never guess were gay. You're the one dropping slurs, and making generalizations about me.

Your original post leaves people reading it with the idea that you think all gay men should "act gay". If that's truly not what you think, you should have better clarified your point.

You're right.  I absolutely worded my original post poorly, especially for an issue that could cause such a heated debate.  I'll work to correct that now.
    Kyodra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Kyodra

I find it ridiculous that some people are making an issue out of a couple scenes in a video game. Scenes that they don't ever have to experience if they choose not to.

And to the guy who said about gays in the game not acting gay: Real gay people are for the most part just regular people you see on the streets every day, not the stereotypes with lisps and pink clothes, and who are into musicals that you see on TV. We have similar interests as straight people and 95% of the time you probably couldn't tell a gay person by looking at them or knowing what kind of music, movies etc. they're into. Pretty much all of my friends are straight and none of them could've predicted me being gay, but fortunately where I'm from it's not a problem.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MikkaQ

I think the fact that you're in the military, or involved in military action for the whole series would explain why you don't run into flamboyant gay dudes. Gay people in the military would be a lot more serious and disciplined anyway, especially considering the galaxy is at stake.

Besides, the vast, vast majority of gay people I know aren't flamboyant or feminine.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By strainedeyes

@SpaceInsomniac said:

Ugh, I forgot about this. That is so painful to watch. The lack of research that they did beforehand is laughable.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Panpipe

I think the reason people are talking about it at all is because it's not even approached in any other games.

I've never played any other game with openly homosexual male characters before. Does The Sims have the option? I've never played one of them.

Also, it's a bit harsh to attack the OP for questioning why there aren't any camp homosexuals. I don't think he's suggesting that there's anything wrong with acting gay. Obviously many gays aren't camp, but many are.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SlightConfuse

in a game where you fuck aliens of all differnt kinds, homosexuality is not a big deal t. Draagon age had gay sex but no one talks about it. ALso therer is no way for gay people to act they are normal people.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By canucks23

It was handled a lot better than in DA2, where it seemed way more forced.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Animasta

@Panpipe said:

I've never played any other game with openly homosexual male characters before. Does The Sims have the option? I've never played one of them.

There was Jun Kurosu in Persona 2: Innocent Sin (you could choose to romance 3 characters, 2 girls and him), there was Arcade Gannon in New Vegas... well here's an incomplete list of them anyway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT_characters_in_video_games

Avatar image for andrewbeardsley
    AndrewBeardsley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AndrewBeardsley

I thought it was fine. Its an RPG therefor it should allow you to do whatever the hell you want.

anyone who is against it or thinks it was a bad idea to include is an idiot and shouldn't be allowed video games

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Panpipe said:

I think the reason people are talking about it at all is because it's not even approached in any other games.

Also, it's a bit harsh to attack the OP for questioning why there aren't any camp homosexuals. I don't think he's suggesting that there's anything wrong with acting gay. Obviously many gays aren't camp, but many are.

Thank you for defending me, but with my originally poorly worded original post--which I'm sill not completely happy with--I'm not sure I deserved defending. 

At any rate, as far as the poll is concerned, I'm happy to see that currently only about 10% of Giant Bomb has picked something other than A or B.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.