Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

BioWare Montreal Building Next Mass Effect Game

• 188 results
    Avatar image for thelegendofmart
    TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By TheLegendOfMart

I want a game based on my bro Garrus, interplanetary spy.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#152  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@honkyjesus said:

Now with less Chobot.

God I fucking hope so.

It'd be pretty sweet if they went back to the original game's formula, fixed some of the shooting, but made it an actual RPG with the RPG systems from the original mostly intact (though with an inventory/loot system reworking).

But this is just going to be Mass Effect 3 with a side story. A Garrus game is the only way I'll play this.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#153  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Beefy_Face said:

Why is EA pushing Frostbite 2 so hard?

Because its a great engine that they created,

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

ME3 is still my game of the year and cant see anything beating it unless Far Cry 3 is a revelation. More Mass Effect makes me happy.

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@honkyjesus said:

Now with less Chobot.

God I fucking hope so.

It'd be pretty sweet if they went back to the original game's formula, fixed some of the shooting, but made it an actual RPG with the RPG systems from the original mostly intact (though with an inventory/loot system reworking).

But this is just going to be Mass Effect 3 with a side story. A Garrus game is the only way I'll play this.

What do you mean by that, the only real difference between ME1 and ME3 is better combat and less messing around with Ammo types actually ME2 introduced more RPG elements like having to choose different abilities along the skill tree.

morden2261

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By morden2261

I hope Casey Hudson's involvement in Mass Effect 4 mirrors George Lucas' future involvement in Star Wars: Superficial and largely ceremonial.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#156  Edited By Eyz

I'm pretty sure they'll ditch the "create-a-character" aspect for it. Just wait and see, I'm willing to bet on it.

jamesisaacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#157  Edited By jamesisaacs

Mass Effect: Garrus Gaiden no Densetsu!

smokyexe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By smokyexe

I didn't play ME3 but wasn't this suppose to be a trilogy?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By probablytuna

I am looking forward to a next generation Mass Effect game.

Icaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Icaria

Don't care about RPGs, don't care about shooters; do care about the character writing. The next Mass Effect could be a 2D indie platformer for all I care, just so long as they churn out a couple of good characters (and no doubt a number of bad ones ie. every human companion in ME so far).

Granted, they've pretty much screwed the pooch on the universe mythology at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@msavo said:

@zombie2011 said:

@Beefy_Face said:

Because they own it and it produces gorgeous looking games.

Other than Battlefield 3, and really Battlefield 3 on PC, all the other games on Frostbite 2 look like shit.

You must be blind then

cursormonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By cursormonkey

The end of Mass Effect 3 killed any interest I had in Mass Effect.

Masakari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Masakari

Obvious move. Why pay for UE4 licenses when you have a just-as-powerful engine (if not more) in-house at DICE?

The ending of ME3 really killed alot of my interest in the franchise. I hope ME4 is good enough to rekindle it.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#164  Edited By TDot

Looking forward to it. Probably my favourite franchise and if we can meet more characters and tell more stories in that universe, I'm all for it.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By TDot

@Morden2261 said:

I hope Casey Hudson's involvement in Mass Effect 4 mirrors George Lucas' future involvement in Star Wars: Superficial and largely ceremonial.

I think this is very disrespectful of someone who created these great games. Geroge Lucas made 3 awful films and ruined his previous, good film. Casey wrote and designed three games that were great. The reaction of five minutes of one game has been atrocious from the community.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By MrKlorox

I hope Frostbyte can do its fancy lighting in real time next generation. Otherwise UE4 might have outdone. But for a setpiece game like Mass Effect that doesn't have a day/night cycle, Frostbyte 2 is plenty.

morden2261

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By morden2261

@TDot said:

@Morden2261 said:

I think this is very disrespectful of someone who created these great games. Geroge Lucas made 3 awful films and ruined his previous, good film. Casey wrote and designed three games that were great. The reaction of five minutes of one game has been atrocious from the community.

Casey Hudson did not write and design all three Mass Effect games. His involvement ramped up over time. I felt Mass Effect 3, the game with which he was most heavily involved and into which he had the most direct control, was the weakest of the series. Seeing as I feel this way, I think it makes perfect sense that I'd rather not see Casey Hudson having as much input in the future of the Mass Effect series.

Incidentally, not everyone who was unhappy with the end of Mass Effect 3 reacted like maniacs. Portraying people unhappy with the ending as a bunch of reactionaries became quite the straw man during the time the whole situation was playing out... and it's a little sad to see it persisting.

Avatar image for deactivated-60339640361ae
    deactivated-60339640361ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

"respectful of the heritage built over the course of the first three games" AAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHHHAAA! HHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Stepside

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

MOAR LENS FLARE

ahahahaha

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#170  Edited By Tesla

@mrpandaman said:

@Tesla said:

People liked ME3 multiplayer?

It really wasn't bad. The only real negative stuff I heard and I thought about it was its micro transaction system.

I'll agree it wasn't bad. It proved to be a fun little diversion for my brother and I for a couple of days.

But it was a feeble effort that pales in comparison to the single player. It is bereft of story, and the stages were about as boring and uninspired as can be. Just blatant cover points everywhere. Where are the awesome space vistas and cool looking levels?

I just think there is good multiplayer, bad mulitplayer, and entirely average, paint-by-numbers, bland multiplayer. ME3 falls into the third category.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By TDot

@Morden2261 said:

@TDot said:

@Morden2261 said:

Casey Hudson did not write and design all three Mass Effect games. His involvement ramped up over time. I felt Mass Effect 3, the game with which he was most heavily involved and into which he had the most direct control, was the weakest of the series. Seeing as I feel this way, I think it makes perfect sense that I'd rather not see Casey Hudson having as much input in the future of the Mass Effect series.

Incidentally, not everyone who was unhappy with the end of Mass Effect 3 reacted like maniacs. Portraying people unhappy with the ending as a bunch of reactionaries became quite the straw man during the time the whole situation was playing out... and it's a little sad to see it persisting.

I don't know what was reactionary about them in that I didn't accuse them about wanting to return to a previous political or social system.

However they did over-react and continue to do so. They've harassed BioWare employees for crying out loud not to mention the ill-conceived pledge drive thing (man, did you even go to the BioWare forums? insane coesn't even begin to describe it.) Casey Hudson has been the project director of the series and the rhetoric against him has been fairly gross... and it's a little sad to see it persisting.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By AiurFlux

I'm extremely skeptical of this honestly. First off they're moving it to a new studio, which is typically a bad move 90% of the time. Then they're using a game engine that I personally don't like. Then there's the whole thing of where they go with the story. If they go back to the humans or Shepard it's an instant cop out and will be shit. However if they do a Dragon Age: Origins type of deal where you can select your race, like a Turian starting out on Palavan joining a military branch, or a Krogan going through his blood rite, or an Asari in her maiden years going out to discover shit then it'll have a ton of promise. But the thought of, "Boom! Another threat to the galaxy that humanity will absolutely stop! Rah rah rah!" bores me. Or hell, go nuts and create an entirely new galaxy of completely original races devoid of humans.

Also there's the problem of multiplayer. The multiplayer in ME3 wasn't terrible, but it was far from good too. It just felt like a half assed Horde mode that was tacked on because EA sent out a memo that EVERYTHING has to have multiplayer before it goes out the door. It just doesn't work like that. So I don't know. Also call it something other than Mass Effect 4. It's a new story after the main trilogy ended, fucking be creative with the name.

cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#173  Edited By cosmic

@crcruz3 said:

@clumsyninja1 said:

Isn't Bioware upgrading ME 1 for ps3 with a new engine as well...

Found it. Upgrade indeed.

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/11/01/ryan-warden-an-update-on-the-mass-effect-trilogy/

Says they were working to get it to match the 360's performance. And the fact that they only worked on it for 6 months .https://twitter.com/LesPaulDuJour/status/254088181333499904 I dont know how it will turn out... Doesnt really affect me, But will be interesting to see regardless

Timnoldzim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#174  Edited By Timnoldzim

Sigh...

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#175  Edited By JasonR86

This is kind of a bummer to hear. Apparently Bioware can only see themselves building up two franchises and an MMO. It would have been nice to see them stretch themselves and make a new franchise and give Mass Effect a rest for a few years.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Pinworm45

This is the worst thing possible for the series right now. They're making it because they're supposed too, not because they have a story to tell. That doesn't mean the game will be bad, but it means it won't be something special. It means it'll be by the numbers, or worse, another dragon age 2. I think the series needed a rest.

But of course, I will buy it day 1, so I guess it's working for them. But I'm never a fan of entertainment being made because of any reason other than someone has a story they want to tell (at least for story based games)

xerxes8933a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By xerxes8933a

@TDot said:

@Morden2261 said:

If you call telling the truth to be disrespectful, then I guess he is. I thought the ending of 3 was in equal quality to the rest of the game and was a fine ending for it. I also think 3 wasn't as good a game as 2, and 2 wasn't nearly as good a game as the first one. As Morden said, Casey Hudson had more and more control over the project with each title, and in my opinion they got progressively worse. Perhaps the change wasn't as completely horrid as the abomination that is Dragon Age 2, but it's sever enough to be a valid reason to dislike a persons portfolio of work.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By crcruz3

@cosmic said:

@crcruz3 said:

@clumsyninja1 said:

Isn't Bioware upgrading ME 1 for ps3 with a new engine as well...

Found it. Upgrade indeed.

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/11/01/ryan-warden-an-update-on-the-mass-effect-trilogy/

Says they were working to get it to match the 360's performance. And the fact that they only worked on it for 6 months .https://twitter.com/LesPaulDuJour/status/254088181333499904 I dont know how it will turn out... Doesnt really affect me, But will be interesting to see regardless

I have ME2 and ME3 on the PS3 and I love them. Bought the trilogy for PC last week and hated the controls. I was considering buying ME1 on demand (can't find a boxed copy) and ME2 and ME3 (boxed) for the Xbox last Monday and decided to wait for PS3 version after reading your post...

Thanks.

josher14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By josher14

Sure hope the new game uses the Glow Bug Kid from ME3 as the new Shepard.
    Genius like that shouldn't be wasted.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Roger778

The Mass Effect games are the best games I have ever played on my X-Box 360, and I am definitely looking forward to a new trilogy.

My request is that Bioware gives us the choice to create a character from one of the various races. I've always wondered what it would be like to play as an Asari or a Turian.

Plipster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Plipster

Well, that's me overly excited.

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By mewarmo990

@Terjay said:

"respectful of the heritage built over the course of the first three games" AAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHHHAAA! HHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I'm not gonna say this... but I'm thinking it. ;)

Looks like one more ME game before the next generation of consoles. Hope it's good...

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#183  Edited By nutter

When you have these trilogies that complete their arc and publishers opt to keep milking that cow, I'd love to see them at least try something different.

Using Halo as an example, Halo Wars and Halo ODST come to mind. Completely shake things up. Redefine expectations. Sure ODST was very much Halo; but the mood, setting, and design were completely different. They got that name on the box, tied into the fiction nicely, AND got to try something that challenged expectations.

That said, I have no idea what I'd want out of a new ME. I love my femshep, but that story is over.

Color me curious.

KlUMZeE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By KlUMZeE

Mass Effect was and is my favorite franchise of this generation and I think they did an incredible job, despite what all the haters say about ME3. I'm interested in seeing where they go with the franchise from here and I'm willing to follow them on this journey. Here's to the future!

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By captain_clayman

@Beefy_Face said:

maybe to compete with unreal 4, cryengine 3, the upcoming next-gen source engine.

drumpsycho89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By drumpsycho89

Frostbite 2 engine mass effect game. Sign me the fuck up!! Also I still fucking loved the ending of ME3 so fuck the haters!!

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#187  Edited By trylks
    palfrei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#188  Edited By palfrei

@Trylks: Star Wars VII: A New Piggy Bank.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Trylks they are making a new universe in Edmonton. That's why Montreal gets Mass Effect.
    trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#190  Edited By trylks

@Brodehouse: great news! thank you, I didn't know.

@palfrei: more like a new way to squeeze the old old Star Wars.

megatronicles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By megatronicles

As long as they bring back film grain...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#192  Edited By TheHT

I hope the character creation is better than every Mass Effect game. Oddly enough, my favourite BioWare character creator is in The Old Republic.

Oh god, I hope there is a character creator, period.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.