Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

My God the combat is awful in this game.......

• 60 results
    IceTrey87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By IceTrey87
    @Mikemcn said:
    "

I bought this in preparation for the sequel to see if I might want to check it out, and its awesome, but ever time i have to shoot something i die a little inside. 

- The cover system is janky  
    - It appears that 1 out of every 2 enemies can one shot you in some way 
    - You can't select a series of actions for your teammates to perform, such as switch to pistol and move here, without bringing up multiple pause screens. 
    -They give you 4 different weapons you have to scroll through, and all you ever really need to use is the assault rifle (Assuming you are a soldier)
    -The squad AI is horrible, its like the alliance pulled these guys out of preschool and sent them into combat.  
    -You seem to go from plenty of health to no health in the blink of an eye 
    -and you cant steady the sniper rifle, but thats me being nitpicky. 
    -The only thing enemy biotics actually can do is make you ragdoll for .4 seconds and piss you off. 
    -I shot that Krogan down, why is it standing back up! It has its health back too, why is it charging at me!  Oh damn, im screwed, Wrex! Garrus! WHERE YOU AT! Damn it, they are dead to, AHHHHH!

So basically i turned combat difficulty to casual so i can just plow through everything. Anyone else not enjoy the combat in this game? 
    I love the world and the quests, the dialogue is great, and the new game should have some much improved combat mechanics so im going to play it, but still.........

"

Cover system is slightly janky but nowhere near the worst I've ever seen.  
    The assault rifle is NOT all you need.  The sniper rifle and pistol come in handy too.  The shotgun is only useful on like two side missions where fighting is super confined. 
    Squad AI is not horrible, even when I put in one of my B-Listers like Liara she would use her singularity on her own to devastating effect.  Plus it's your job to manage and order your teammates.  Make them use the moves you want. 
    I never had much problem with going from plenty of health to no health except for like three places in the whole game.  Get better armor? 
    The sniper rifle is indeed shaky but this can be fixed by several different things.  Different sniper rifles have different accuracy ratings, you can use upgrades which steady it, and you can upgrade your sniper rifle skills and use the Assassination ability.  All of these combined will make pretty much a shake free sniper rifle. 
    If enemy biotics could hurl you over the side of a bottomless chasm everytime you faced them, would you be happy? 
    Krogans are tough.  Make extra sure you shoot them dead.   Then shoot them again.

I enjoyed the combat in this game just as much as any other part of it.  I played it on the default difficulty, whatever that was.  Sure the combat's not perfect.  Sometimes Kaidan will stand in the path of a rocket or in full view of a sniper.  Having to crouch to use low cover sucks.  The accuracy of guns can be frustrating until you level up (I recommend the pistol until then).  But I didn't find the combat even close to broken.  Towards the later half of the game firefights become downright epic. 

My biggest complaint with the game was how every base in the side missions was exactly the same.  Same with every freighter you boarded.  I wasn't about to just ignore every side mission and they add to the story but they took a while and I got bored of them towards the end.  Most of your complaints with the combat in this game are addressed by the RPG aspects of this game.  Having trouble with a weapon?  Level up your skill in it and buy a better version of it.
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By bubahula

i really enjoyed the combat. a lot of your complaints seem to be about the way you played or leveled up your character.

haethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By haethos
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:

" @ImperiousRix said:

"

The combat in Mass Effect left something to be desired, certainly.  It was playable (especially if you were going to be using a lot of biotic or tech skills), but if you wanted it to be a straight up shooter, yeah, it's pretty awful.

Take solace, however, that if you should play the second one, the shooting is supposed to be a lot better.

"
    Here's where it's at, I think. Being proficient at Biotics really helped make the game fluent in all ways. That, of course, doesn't excuse the lackluster shooting, but it at least assuages the problem enough to coast through the game whilst attaining some semblance of enjoyment. "
    I didn't really have an issue with the shooting in Mass Effect. I played as a Soldier and pretty much used an Assault Rifle the whole way through. While I regard myself far more as an RPG player than a shooter fan, I don't think the shooting in ME was that awful, especially as I leveled up and really incorporated the powers (Adrenaline Burst, Shield Boost, Unity, and Overkill).  

If I was about to die, the old (Med Gel -> Shield Boost -> Unity -> Adren Burst -> Med Gel) tactic worked just fine. The shooting in the game definitely got better as the game went along. 

As a side-note, the complaining about how Krogans work seems kinda misguided--they're an enemy type that doesn't go down easily (see: Halo Brutes). 
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#54  Edited By AndrewB

It's been a long time since I've played, but I don't remember it being all that bad. It certainly wasn't built like most first person shooters, which it emulates so much more than a traditional RPG, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Still, having gone back to play it recently, myself, I also noticed quite a few things that make me realize this game has not aged well. Yes, the cover system is horrible. Vehicle combat is downright bad. I didn't play enough recently to get really deep into the squad Ai mechanics, and I didn't really have a problem with them. In fact, the Ai guys were taking things down better than I was (although that could be because they were armed with some of the best weapons in the game at the game's very beginning). And yes, early on if you've got little for shielding you can't take much damage before dying. That's when you've got to use the cover system, like it or not, and things should be just fine.

Besides dying a lot on some really difficult fights, though, I never had a problem with the overall difficulty. Another suggestion beyond simply turning down the difficulty is to play as a different class. I know that once you get a really great shotgun some abilities, the Vanguard is pretty much unstoppable so long as you can close the distance between you and your enemies, but I personally hate playing that way. I might change to an adept for Mass Effect 2.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By jmrwacko

Mass Effect 1 was more fun if you played a biotic class, but it wasn't all too great combat-wise. What bothered me more than the finicky cover system (I never use cover anyway) was the bad AI and the bugs (falling through the ground ftl). Supposedly, that's all fixed in Mass Effect 2. So (Schwarzenegger voice) stop whining!

Joker_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By Joker_777

I really enjoyedd the combat. I was a vanguard and my shotgun chewed through anything.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By TheHBK

Its an RPG, you have to level up.  I think that your complaint of the assault rifle comes from you turning down the difficulty and also, if you are a soldier, I would assume that would be your go to weapon.  I however loved to use shotguns with chemical rounds.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#58  Edited By Yummylee

It was far from the best, and wasn't ME's strong point. But it was bearable enough for me to get some enjoyment out of it. Specially when using shotguns.  

I hated the boss battle against Liara's mum though because of ME's combat issues.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By Linkyshinks

Hmm, I found it a little bit better on PC.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By sixghost
    @PenguinDust said:
    " @Atramentous said:

" I didnt have any issues with the combat. "

This right here.  I finished as a Vanguard and a Soldier, now I am working an Adept.  I played on normal difficulty.  But, for the regular combat, I rarely instructed my team mates to do anything.  Sure, it starts a bit slow, but once you are off the Citadel and start racking up XP, things turn around quick.  Don't over think it, just play through.  This isn't KOTOR or Dargon Age: Origins where micro-management is a necessity.  I found that most of the time, my team acted reasonably well.  The only thing I needed to really check was are they using the type of gun they are proficient in.  Often, I'd catch Tali with an assault rifle when she's got a ton of points in pistols or shotguns.  I used Liara a lot on my first run, and after filling her points with warp and singularity, I just let her do her thing and never bothered to correct her.  Guys would be floating all over the place, then *boom*, the fight was over.   Now, if you want to complain about the MAKO, then I am with you a 100%.  I hate the damned RV and all missions where I need to travel and shoot with it.  Eventually, I figured out how to survive, but it wasn't fun.  It often involved shooting at the target then withdrawing while my sheilds recharged.  I could go make a sandwich while that happened.  Then I'd got back and widdle down the baddies so I could move on.  I hate the MAKO, but I hear it's different in the sequel.   Oh, and save after ever encounter if possible.  If you do something that you don't want to do again, save. "
    That's because you played it on normal. The combat seems fine when you play on normal because it's virtually impossible to die.
    haethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By haethos
    @Abyssfull said:
    "It was far from the best, and wasn't ME's strong point. But it was bearable enough for me to get some enjoyment out of it. Specially when using shotguns.   I hated the boss battle against Liara's mum though because of ME's combat issues. "
    I still maintain that the shooting isn't that bad. Especially after you're a leveled up killing machine. As a Soldier, that fight was a breeze. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.