Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Other games ME reminded me of

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By oraknabo

I never played KOTOR, so I can't compare the two, but this game reminded me a lot of a few other games:

Flashback: Quest for Identity - Especially the missions in the Citadel reminded me of the middle sections of Flashback set in the New Washington area.

Xenosaga - I realize there were no little girls or giant robots in ME, but the overall environments, atmosphere and story reminded me a lot of Xenosaga.

Star Trek: The Kobayashi Alternative - This was an old text adventure set in a virtual version of the first Star Trek series where you could wander around the the Enterprise and navigate to any planet you knew the name or coordinates of and could have discussions with various aliens and crew using a limited standardized protocol.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Termite

It reminded me of Bioshock a bit...with all the morality things. Of course ME was more robust in that way but it sort of reminded me of it

Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Joker

Mass Effect reminded me of Anarchy online for some reason.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4  Edited By giyanks22

Mass Effect was most like Kotor. How you get to choose where your ship takes you. Mass Effect is basically a non-Star Wars KOTOR if you get what I am saying.

eileen_orr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By eileen_orr
    giyanks22 said:
    "Mass Effect was most like Kotor. How you get to choose where your ship takes you. Mass Effect is basically a non-Star Wars KOTOR if you get what I am saying.
    "
    Yeah I agree with you, but in my opinion KOTOR was a more enjoyable experience. Not that I didn't like Mass Effect, it's a brilliant game, but I just had more fun playing KOTOR.

Well I know it's been said before but the fighting elements (biotics aside) was very similar to Gears of War, I thought it worked well.
    Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Magnum

Hopefully the ME engine was a test run for KoTOR 3.

tancred8120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By tancred8120

It was a lot like KOTOR

sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sterbacblu

I've gotten slammed for this before but I think it was a lot like Oblivion, at least in regards to structure.  There's a basic story line with multiple side quests that are tied together into their own little stories.  I thought ME was much better for a number of reasons, but still I feel they share similarities.  

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Shawn

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but after I finished the story it made me feel like winner.

So.. Big Rigs?

Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Magnum

said: lol

Kloreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kloreep
    The Ur-Quan Masters. The main mode of conversation & combat takes place on ground in ME rather than in space in UQM, but there are definitely some similarities; KOTOR+UQM would be a pretty good summation of Mass Effect's gameplay.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    Magnum said:
    "Hopefully the ME engine was a test run for KoTOR 3."
    No sir , Mass effect is gonna be a kick ass trilogy
    seram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By seram

I was reading a lot of Mass Effect back story, and then taking into consideration all of the character arcs and such you can learn after developing your companions enough, the Mass Effect universe is a really big and interesting one, much like Star Wars (of course Star Wars is way bigger, Expanded Universe hmm?). Anyway back on topic, this game reminded me a lot of Kotor lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.