Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Starting to play Mass Effect, which class?

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

Okay so I havent played the original Mass Effect yet so I have started out playing the game. My question is which class should I choose? 

Also should I just skip to the 2nd game when it comes out of keep playing Mass Effect?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Play as a Vanguard. Trust me, it works.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shirogane

Depends what you like? But they don't seem all that different. Not as much as in other rpgs and ME2 at least.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yukoei

Well, I have started with a soldier but it feels like I am missing out on a lot, am I?

Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Magresda
    @Yukoei said:
    "

Well, I have started with a soldier but it feels like I am missing out on a lot, am I?

"
    If your AI is set to "active" - i.e they will use both offensive and defensive abilities without you touching them at all - then yes, you're missing out. However, start manually using your squad's Biotics and Tech abilities, and your class won't make much of a difference as long as you choose your companions wisely. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Soilder is the best imo, I could be wrong, I used infiltrator, they gimped my ability to snipe well and the use of heavy armor. I think soilder class is the best because you get everything that way including heavy armor.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NoXious

Play Soldier till you unlock Assault Rifle, go Adept with AR as special talent.
    In the end go Bastion - which beats the ability to use Heavy Armor since Bastion's Barrier regenerates over time and is up 24/7 (as long as you don't forget to 'rebuff').

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I enjoy playing soldier a lot. But it's really up to personal preference. As for whether you should play it before ME2 - I'm doing that at the moment. I've started playing ME twice, but never finished it. I intend on completing it before I start ME2.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Venatio

Vanguard is the best, good mix of biotics and weapons

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

Vanguard.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Gargantuan

Vanguard and adept are my favourites. I recommend Vanguard for your first playthrough

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Andorski

What classic RPG archetype do you usually like?

• Warrior - Soldier
      Pretty obvious comparison.  This class is all about doing damage with weapons and drawing all the fire, as you will have heavy armor.  Good class to begin with, but IMO, not that much fun.  The shooting mechanic in ME is mediocre; the best part about combat is the fact that you have all these powers to attack your enemy with besides weapons.
    • Mage - Adept
      Your job is to use your magic spells (biotics) to do crowd control, while you team picks them off one by one.  You don't have much armor, so you will want to stay away from the action, throwing out your biotics from afar, or using them as a means of escape when an enemy finds a way to get close to you.
    • Warlock - Engineer
      Also staying from afar, you will debuff your enemies to make sure your teammates can take them out as easily as possible.  Take out their shields, preventing them from using biotics/tech, and disabling their weapons is what you do.  You can even cast a spell to take control over an enemy and use it against its own troops.
    • Hunter - Infiltrator
      You get proficient at using a sniper rifle, so you obviously want to stay away from the action.  Your teammates are basically your pets, doing damage to your enemies, but more importantly, distracting them and bringing them in the line of your fire so that you can take them out one at a time.  You will also have some debuffing powers to make sure your teammates won't die when drawing all that fire.
    • Rogue - Vanguard
      The Infiltrator is probably a better comparison in ME2, as they actually get the ability to cloak.  I made this comparison because the Vanguard is all about get right up in the face of your enemy and doing a lot of damage really quick with your shotgun.  You only have decent armor, so you need to use your biotics to leave your enemy defenseless as you run through all of them and doing as much damage as you can in the shortest amount of time.
    • Priest - Sentinel
      All classes have the ability to heal with medi-gels.  Sentinels are kinda like priests because you are meant to stay away from the combat as your teammates fight; you do not have any weapon proficiencies to do any real damage.  What you need to do is take care of both crowd control and debuffing the enemies.  This is arguably the hardest class to play in the game.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

My advice is to play Soldier first so you can unlock the assault rifle, then play as an Adept with the assault rifle skill and just tear through guys while tossing them around.  If you play as any biotic class that has access to "Singularity" that skill is your best friend.  The Soldier class was easiest in my opinion, but Adept was the most fun.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yukoei
    @PenguinDust said:
    "My advice is to play Soldier first so you can unlock the assault rifle, then play as an Adept with the assault rifle skill and just tear through guys while tossing them around.  If you play as any biotic class that has access to "Singularity" that skill is your best friend.  The Soldier class was easiest in my opinion, but Adept was the most fun. "

Wait...I am confused. I play through the game with a soldier than on second playthrough an Adept?
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Andorski
    @Yukoei: When you play through the game, you "unlock" weapons and skills after using them a number of times.  For example, getting 75 kills with a shotgun unlocks the shotgun.  Using singularity 75 times unlocks singularity.  Once you unlock a skill or weapon, you can start a new game and pick one of the weapons/skills that you unlocked.  So for example, if you unlocked the singularity, and then start a new game as an engineer (who does not have the ability to use singularity), you can choose singularity as your bonus talent.  Voila!  Now your tech-using engineer can throw out singularity when he/she plays through the game.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Luke
    @Yukoei:  I just played through the first game last week, just to blow through the story once and be able to play Mass Effect 2 with that save.  If that is all you're trying to do, then it's suggested to play as a Soldier as you barely have to think.  Also, supposedly the Soldier is the best to get most of the Achievements, like all the weapon ones, on a 1 playthrough.  The Biotic/Tech ones can be more easily boosted, as a lot of them don't require killing actual enemies. 

With that said, I still had a blast playing as a Soldier and thought the game was amazing... even though it was a bit too easy :p 
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pwnasaurus

my love for shotguns in games has grown therefore i will play as the close range duder the vanguard right? 
    belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By belaraphon

adept is where it is at.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yukoei

Gaaah! All this time wasted on Mass Effect =O should I just start again on adept or continue soldier?

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By aaox

Vanguard is hellla tight, bro.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Andorski
    @Yukoei said:
    "

Gaaah! All this time wasted on Mass Effect =O should I just start again on adept or continue soldier?

"
    If you are just playing through ME1 so that you can import your save to ME2, you can just keep playing as the soldier.  ME2 allows you to change your class in ME2.

Also, have Tali and Liara with you throughout the whole game.  This gives you a good balance of both weapons, tech, and biotics.  If you ever find yourself dying a lot because Tali and Liara cannot keep themselves alive, switch to Garrus and Wrex.  You trade off some tech and biotic skills in order to have more fire power.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yukoei
    @Andorski said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    "

"
    If you are just playing through ME1 so that you can import your save to ME2, you can just keep playing as the soldier.  ME2 allows you to change your class in ME2.  Also, have Tali and Liara with you throughout the whole game.  This gives you a good balance of both weapons, tech, and biotics.  If you ever find yourself dying a lot because Tali and Liara cannot keep themselves alive, switch to Garrus and Wrex.  You trade off some tech and biotic skills in order to have more fire power. "

Liara? Aw shit man you just spoiled it for me! TEH MODS SHOULD BAN YOU. 

But seriously I havent gotten her yet, I am fucking close though.
    church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By church069

My personal favorite is the Vanguard, but soldier is good starting class for someone playing for the first time through.  But after playing other classes I found the soldier class to be very boring.  The biotic and tech stuff is where the real fun is had.

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By tomance

I played as a solider my first time.  Second time around I decided to play a Vanguard.  I'm liking the vanguard more right now because I feel there's some more strategy involved.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.