Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

Wow...the reaction has been too negative...

• 106 results
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Doctorchimp

Even by stupid internet random standards.

The trailer is a little more than a minute and people are crying at the fact that it's ruined already. Like really? Based on what?

From what I've been hearing people played Max Payne because it was in New York and he had hair...

And people are already crying it's not Noir at all. You haven't heard the entire story or how it's handled so you don't know. Okay the black and white over tone is gone, does that mean it's going to be shit?

I played those two Max Payne games for the action, which they haven't shown yet.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Brians

@Doctorchimp: A lot of people are scared of change.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Bloody internet.

People want change, they get change, then they cry its not exactly like the previous one. Sjeez.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Sooty

The trailer did depict it as an action fest with no real remnants of any underlying thriller or noir-esque themes.

So I understand the negative reactions, it doesn't help that it's being made by another developer.

and I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with people being scared of change. More people not wanting to see the legacy of two excellent games shitted on.

Edit: I know the first games had a shit ton of action in but the trailer didn't give the game much of a personality that went any deeper than "people are going to get shot"

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Heltom92

I think that some people think that Noir just means that the story and tone is dark. I liked the trailer but this kind of shit happens all the time, there's already a topic on GB saying that "Max Payne is dead" and the game isn't out for another 6 fucking monthes.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Bloody internet. People want change, they get change, then they cry its not exactly like the previous one. Sjeez.

I think the undertone I'm getting is Remedy isn't doing it. If they showed Max Payne just a couple years after Max Payne 2 the exact same people would complain that they're just cribbing off the old games and not innovating like Remedy would.

Rockstar is...you know the super popular developer. I mean they're going to turn it mainstream so it's going to be shit...

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Afroman269

@Heltom92 said:

I think that some people think that Noir just means that the story and tone is dark. I liked the trailer but this kind of shit happens all the time, there's already a topic on GB saying that "Max Payne is dead" and the game isn't out for another 6 fucking monthes.

I love seeing butthurt initial reactions. People need to give it time before becoming even more butthurt.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Can I overhear conversations of dudes Im about it ice? Can I go slow motion and dive around? Yes? Then Im good. Everything else can be modernized. I don't have much interest in 10 year old gameplay.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SomeJerk

I'm an old bitter fuck of a gamer by gamer standards and I think this could get rocking as long as the PC version doesn't get gearboxed or worse.

I'm also looking forward to Syndicate 2012, provided they stick to the Syndicate world, so it's more than just a name.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Meowshi

@Doctorchimp said:

I played those two Max Payne games for the action, which they haven't shown yet.

If that's all you took away from the experience, then I feel sorry for you.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowshi

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Bloody internet. People want change, they get change, then they cry its not exactly like the previous one. Sjeez.

Who was asking for change? I'd gladly play a spiritual successor to MP2.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gaff

@Meowshi said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Wonderfully overwritten scripts and ham-fisted voice acting doesn't count?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Doctorchimp said:

You played them for the action, we didn't (or didn't only). 

@TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Bloody internet.  People want change, they get change, then they cry its not exactly like the previous one. Sjeez.
    "Change" could mean anything. there's a difference between this game being a real Max Payne game - noir up in the bitch and comic cutscenes and a heavy dark night atmosphere but with changes in location or storyline, and between totally losing the dark slow paced atmosphere and progression of the game and going to south america to have midday firefights with gangsters. (I'm not saying that's what the game is about, we don't know yet, but that's what it's looking like)

There's changes, and there's CHANGE. 

@Sooty said:

The trailer did depict it as an action fest with no real remnants of any underlying thriller or noir-esque themes.

Exactly. The very first trailer of a sequel to a 2003 game in 2011 not showing anything that made the old games great and unique, is a bad sign. 
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Twisted_Scot

If there is not an abundance of awkwardly buttoned Hawaiian shirts this game will be shit.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Sooty said:

So I understand the negative reactions, it doesn't help that it's being made by another developer.

and I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with people being scared of change. More people not wanting to see the legacy of two excellent games shitted on.

Well I think you should look up "Noir-esque" themes.

Unless you're talking about Chinatown, The Big Sleep, and Double Indemnity. The super classic sense of "Film Noir" which Max Payne doesn't follow either.

But Noir when you boil it down is actually incredibly diverse. I mean The Big Lebowski is Noir, Twin Peaks is Noir, The Dark Knight is Noir. It's about a certain mood and theme where a city plays a central role in the plot or influences the plot to a great deal.

Sao Paulo if you haven't heard about it, is an insane city. And I'd much rather have a Rockstar game than a Remedy game if you want to talk about narratives...

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Heltom92
    @Afroman269 said:

@Heltom92 said:

I love seeing butthurt initial reactions. People need to give it time before becoming even more butthurt.

Yea it amazes me how worked up some people get, video games are serious business apparently.@Doctorchimp said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I think the undertone I'm getting is Remedy isn't doing it. If they showed Max Payne just a couple years after Max Payne 2 the exact same people would complain that they're just cribbing off the old games and not innovating like Remedy would.

Rockstar is...you know the super popular developer. I mean they're going to turn it mainstream so it's going to be shit...

Well I'm a big Rockstar fan so I have a lot of faith in them to make this game good, even if it isn't as similar to the first two as people would hope.
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Meowshi

@Gaff said:

@Meowshi said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Wonderfully overwritten scripts and ham-fisted voice acting doesn't count?

I'm so sorry.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Meowshi: @AhmadMetallic:

You guys should watch more movies and read books if Max Payne honestly still stands up as one of the greats...

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By 71Ranchero

Odd that this didnt get the reaction I assumed it would after I watched the trailer. Personally I watched and then said to myself "Oh its this game again but this time they are calling it Max Payne".

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Meowshi

@Doctorchimp said:

You guys should watch more movies and read books if Max Payne honestly still stands up as one of the greats...

I don't regularly compare my video games to novels and films. As far as games go, I don't know how you can consider it anything but great. That's just me though.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sooty

@Doctorchimp said:

@Sooty said:

And I'd much rather have a Rockstar game than a Remedy game if you want to talk about narratives...

Well, it's Rockstar by name but it's not the same team behind the GTA series. The Warrior guys seem to be working on it, though.

Max Payne 1 & 2 had much better narratives than anything Rockstar have ever put out so I'm not sure why you'd prefer them.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gerhabio

I have absolutely no attachment to the Max Payne games, they can make it a kart racer and I'd still be ok with it.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Meowshi said:

@Doctorchimp said:

I don't regularly compare my video games to novels and films. As far as games go, I don't know how you can consider it anything but great. That's just me though.

So you categorize and separate to make it unique? That's weird...

I liked it because it provided something I haven't seen or experienced before. The gameplay.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Meowshi

@Doctorchimp said:

@Meowshi said:

@Doctorchimp said:

I liked it because it provided something I haven't seen or experienced before. The gameplay.

I categorize video games separately because they offer a wholly different experience. If you seriously compare the story in video games to that in novels and films, then I'm not sure how you could be impressed by storytelling in any game. If that's how you judge things, then fine.

I find it incredibly silly though.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Sooty said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Sooty said:

And I'd much rather have a Rockstar game than a Remedy game if you want to talk about narratives...

Well, it's Rockstar by name but it's not the same team behind the GTA series. The Warrior guys seem to be working on it, though.

Max Payne 1 & 2 had much better narratives than anything Rockstar have ever put out so I'm not sure why you'd prefer them.

I know, I heard it when Red Dead Redemption came out people went "It's not actually the GTA IV guys" and it's still great. And it's the guys who did Bully not Warriors.

Thanks for only taking away my own preference from my post.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By VicRattlehead

@ryanwho said:

Can I go slow motion and dive around? Yes?

give me this and i will be happy

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sooty

@Doctorchimp said:

@Sooty said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Sooty said:

I know, I heard it when Red Dead Redemption came out people went "It's not actually the GTA IV guys" and it's still great. And it's the guys who did Bully not Warriors.

Thanks for only taking away my own preference from my post.

Red Dead Redemption was one of the most tedious games I've played in some time and had some serious pacing issues, to each their own.

Oh, well that just makes me less hopeful then. Wikipedia lists 4 Rockstar studios as developers.

I didn't have anything to say. I'm not particularly bothered about what Rockstar do with the series, I was merely saying I understand why people are feeling so down about this.

Stop being such a bitchy halfwit.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gaff

@Meowshi said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Meowshi said:

@Doctorchimp said:

I categorize video games separately because they offer a wholly different experience. If you seriously compare the story in video games to that in novels and films, then I'm not sure how you could be impressed by storytelling in any game. If that's how you judge things, then fine.

I find it incredibly silly though.

Well, good writing is just that, good writing. There's nothing special about people talking in games versus on a stage, in novels, on TV, in movies. Unless you considering videogames' relative youth. Which is odd: good, natural language hasn't changed much since the days of Shakespeare.

Giving the special kid a pretty gold star for his story only sets him up for more pain, when the big boys start beating up on him, while his tears mix with the rain that washes all the pain away into the depths of this terrible and dark city.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jimbo

@VicRattlehead said:

@ryanwho said:

Why would you choose to do that though if you can just sit invincible behind cover and pick everybody off one at a time (like every other Stop 'n Pop TPS)? That's my only concern really. If they can implement a cover system, but still somehow dissuade the player from just camping behind it, then it could still turn out alright.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shinigami420

It looks like fucking dogshit (for a high budget game)

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead

ctrl + f; no mention of Sam Lake and one mention of Remedy. Nice.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Cincaid

@Doctorchimp said:

I honestly thought the story of the first two games was absolutly terrible, not to mention the voice acting.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pezen

I think there are reasons to "modernize" games in general and I agree that franchises need to stay relevant if they want to continue on. However, there's a difference (as been noted) between modernizing games and taking a character out of his element just because you have a brand name. Max Payne established for two games a certain mood and a certain style, neither of which feels present here. Also, the most interesting aspect of Max was (at least to me) his tortured mental state in regards to the killing of his wife and child. Perhaps Max as a character is a hard fit to continue making sequels on and stirring things around might help that, but at some point you have to ask yourself if you're making a new Max Payne or just a new game, and if it's the latter.. why even bother with calling it Max Payne 3?

Still, a trailer is not something to write off an entire game on. But I certainly agree, the song doesn't fit at all.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FourWude

People just don't relate to fat, bearded, overweight, wife beaters.

Which is a shame, because some of my best friends are fat, bearded, overweight, wife beaters, and they're damn nice people.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ryanwho

@Jimbo said:

@VicRattlehead said:

@ryanwho said:

Why would you choose to do that though if you can just sit invincible behind cover and pick everybody off one at a time (like every other Stop 'n Pop TPS)? That's my only concern really. If they can implement a cover system, but still somehow dissuade the player from just camping behind it, then it could still turn out alright.

If people wanna play like bitches that's their right. I tend to think there will be dramatic ways to pop out of cover, like leap onto the cover then bounding forward in slow motion and such. And it only turns into a game of wackamole if the AI is shitty like Gears of War or something.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By VicRattlehead

@Jimbo: if the game turns into sit behind cover all day and pop up once in a while ill trade it in and pretend it didn't happen

cant really say much about it until we see gameplay videos and vanquish handles cover/slow mo quite well so all is not lost

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I dunno, it scarily smacks of Kane and Lynch. It is trying WAY too hard. It's definitely not a Max Payne game in terms of Noir feel at all.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By laserbolts

I don't really understand what was so great about the first max Payne. The story went to shit for me when the sequence with the crying baby and blood trails happened. It was super corny and I couldn't take the game seriously after that. I'm not sure if the second one was good or not I can't remember if I played it.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ervonymous

It'll definitely be the Conviction of this series, whether that's a good or a bad thing is up for debate.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gamb1t

@Doctorchimp said:

Even by stupid internet random standards.

The trailer is a little more than a minute and people are crying at the fact that it's ruined already. Like really? Based on what?

From what I've been hearing people played Max Payne because it was in New York and he had hair...

And people are already crying it's not Noir at all. You haven't heard the entire story or how it's handled so you don't know. Okay the black and white over tone is gone, does that mean it's going to be shit?

people in the general population are stupid if you didnt know already. but most people knock it before they try it thats why they are stuck in the same ol bs.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By amir90

Ehm, the internet shall remain the internet.

"Don't be mad, hatin is bad".

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NTM

OK, it's Max Payne, it's Max Payne's original voice, there was the theme in the trailer, he references events that happened in the first two games, and it's Rockstar, other than his look once he shaves his head and changes his clothes, as well as the New York-less setting, and maybe the goofy (not in a bad way) atmospheric aspects like Captain Baseball Bat Boy, it's all there. This will be great. Even if it doesn't entirely have a Max Payne vibe, you can tell it'll still be of great quality.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By MooseyMcMan

So long as you can still jump through the air whilst firing two guns, I'm satisfied. Though I do think he looks kinda dumb with the shaved head.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ArcLyte

i agree. like, the third comment on the new trailer was some idiot talking about how he doesn't like the music and how max's face looks stupid now. the fuck?

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By countinhallways

The internet is an ocean of idiots. Sometimes you have to go all "Deadliest Catch" on it's ass in order to actually trawl up the good stuff.

Let's call it fish.

Menghus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Menghus

Agreed, with hardly any real gameplay footage and just for the looks I would have expected people would be more willing to accept the change on Max and in the scenery.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By yinstarrunner

Eh, the writing in the trailer seems pretty generic compared to the unique style of Max Payne 1 & 2. 

Making him bald makes him look generic to me as well... I felt pretty good about the trailer until he started shaving his head, for some reason. 

The plot looks cribbed directly from Man on Fire. 

As far as the gameplay, I would be optimistic if it wasn't being made by Rockstar, whose games these days seem to emphasize presentation over crisp gameplay. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SeriouslyNow said:

I dunno, it scarily smacks of Kane and Lynch.

If anyone knows how to be spot on and ruin my evening, it's you good friend.
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Karl_Boss

What people?

guyver0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By guyver0

I played the second Max Payne and while it is noir, it's a cartoon, Max Payne 3 seems to be rooted more in realism.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.