Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Apr 29, 2010

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is the latest portable entry in the Metal Gear franchise, and the second canonical Metal Gear title produced for the PSP. Set in Costa Rica, Peace Walker puts you in control of Big Boss once again as he prepares the rise of Outer Heaven.

Should Drew play this during his Metal Gear journey?

• 75 results
    dotpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

If the ultimate goal of the series is to have Drew ready for MGS V then I say absolutely.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I personally would recommend that people do play it, but as far as Drew and the feature goes, I'm not sure it's necessary or appropriate. The format of it all, from mission structure to cutscenes, just doesn't seem to lend itself well to what they're doing. I think they can skip it without too much trouble.

Now if Drew ends up deciding to play MGS5 in the future, I might argue that Peace Walker is important to his understanding of it all. But we're not nearly there yet.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hope they do so they can talk about HOT COLDMAN.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great game but they probably won't play it.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Should he play it? Yes. Should it be a Metal Gear Scanlon series? God no.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Peace Walker is by far the most difficult MGS if you're going solo. I would like him to play it, but I feel like he would probably struggle so much with it, that it would bring down his enjoyment of MGS as a whole.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew should play everything, right down to the Ac!d games. (Though maybe not Portable Ops).

Plus I feel the way the series is going Peace Walker is so important (and downright cool) it's practically a numbered Metal Gear for me.

Plus dat ending fight:

Fighting a giant Robot that can actually launch a nuke mid-fight!

So awesomely intense!

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

only to add more content like the other episodes but dont think its important

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Meh, I would be fine either way. I just wanna see Drew play Revengeance. Metal Gear is dumb, but Revengeance is fucking duuuuuuuuuumb. Raiden literally throws a goddamn Metal Gear RAY down the street in the first 5 minutes of that game. Drew's reactions would be great, but I really wanna see him play it mostly because it doesn't seem like something he would normally play.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. This might be my favorite MGS game just because of the gameplay but the story is pretty interesting as well and there are a lot of great bonuses.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's canon, so yes. Also it has Strangelove so double yes.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I'd want them to play through 3 and 4, and then I'd feel like Drew was ready to play Ground Zeroes and 5 on his own time if he was into it.

I've never played Peace Walker so I don't know, but it sounds like a bother, and while Dan might think it's not in the spirit of Metal Gear, I'd love to watch Drew play through Revengence because of its small ties to 4 and because it is such a different game.

In the end, it's up to them how far they take this. I trust them to know where to stop.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes, also wouldn't mind Dan & Drew playing Metal Gear 1 & Metal Gear 2. They could easily beat both of those games in a week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Best to limit it to just the core numbered games.

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if he is going to play V on camera. I don't think it would be as engaging considering the format and comic book style cutscenes.That game is a lot more focused on replaying missions and mother base management which do not make good (internet) television.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Some day the Internet will come to accept our lord and savior peace Walker into their hearts. Some day.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

@goranp said:

@oni said:

@goranp said:

People who say that PW controls like shit are literally out of touch with the HD version. It has modern non PSP controls.

I played that version and think it controls like shit. So that is not true.

I'm curious then, what's your opinion on MGS 4/Gears of War/other third person games with extremely similar controls?

They're fine? It's mostly the awkward lock-on, and things like having to press a button to get into cover, just the weird stuff that isn't in the other MGS games. I really couldn't stand the controls and interface.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I highly doubt they will play it. On an older podcast Dan was saying how he didn't play it all the way threw, how it was "garbage", and he just read a synopsis of the story. So, seeing how Dan is the main driving force behind this series and how Drew doesn't seem to like playing these games, I bet Dan won't want to and Drew won't argue against that.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If Drew is really interested in the MGS lore, then sure, he should play it off air. It doesn't make for very good watching I feel, since a lot of the game is resource management and level grinding. It's great game though, so it would be a shame if he skipped over it.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I agree. He should play and read everything in Ground Zeroes.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh he doesn't need to play those games. I know people will get pissy but those handheld games aren't important to the mainline games.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Maybe if they're still looking to do stuff after the numbered games.

Honestly they should just toy around it in a special epsiode between mainline games tho

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@kishinfoulux said:

Eh he doesn't need to play those games. I know people will get pissy but those handheld games aren't important to the mainline games.

you're right, but I think this reasoning is why Peace Walker found its way to home consoles as a downloadable title. What happens in the main story is important to the series and it directly sets up MGS5... but the briefing available in Ground Zeroes does an admirable job of explaining all the important beats.

I'm torn. I think if Drew really likes Metal Gear by the end of this, he should play it. But he should play it on his own time because it'd be a really awful Endurance Run or whatever we call these features. Too much grinding and an ancillary crap to sift through to make it an enjoyable viewing experience.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i talked to Dan about this during Pax Prime, and i got the impression he didnt like the Handheld games, so i dont think they will cross this game.

sadsadsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By sadsadsad

@zlimness said:

If Drew is really interested in the MGS lore, then sure, he should play it off air. It doesn't make for very good watching I feel, since a lot of the game is resource management and level grinding.

Sums it up for me, could record a PW podcast before they head into MGS4.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of surprised at how many are saying how awful it would be to watch. I never grinded that much in the game(if at all), except to get the true ending(which I agree would probably be better to just find on Youtube, the method to getting it is dumb). As long as you pump resources into weapons and just capture dudes as you go in the main story, you'll be fine for the bosses. You don't really have to do any of the side missions, and since the missions are shorter, it would be easier to manage how long the episodes are. And that's part of the reason why I thought coop would be good(I don't know much about the invite stuff, but I don't think it'd be that big a deal), is because then you could streamline the game aggressively, and make everything much shorter.

Also, didn't realize that many people hated Peace Walker. Yikes. I think it's fine. Not my favorite of the series, but it has some great moments, and it is pretty important to where the series is going. It's a main game in everything but number.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm very fine with MGS3 and MGS4. Anything else would be an amazing bonus.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@corevi said:

Definitely. It's integral to the story and MGS5: Ground Zeroes picks up directly after it.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance should also be done because Dan hates it for literally no reason despite thinking that sword fighting the president is the coolest thing in the series and the final boss of MGR is a callback to that while being an actually fun fight. Also the soundtrack is the coolest thing ever.

Now I have to reinstall MGR. Thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.