Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2014

The stand-alone prelude to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, giving players a taste of the new open-world gameplay mechanics while setting up the main game's story, as Snake (Big Boss) must infiltrate a prison camp to rescue his comrades.

This is almost certainly MGS5

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#151  Edited By Raven10

@algertman said:

Well if it's 5 that means it won't suck.

1&3 - Awesome

2&4 - Terrible

I enjoyed 2 and 4 more than 1 and 3. I think I am in the minority though. I thought 3 was dull. The story started out strong and then kind of disappeared for 10 hours before showing up again in the final couple hours. The pacing was just awful. Amazing bosses, but it felt like the whole middle of the game was an excuse to have Snake fight the Cobra Unit. If you took out the middle 10 hours and just kept the first two and the last two then you wouldn't really have missed anything. And honestly, I can't say I enjoyed the actual gameplay of three. Glad I only played the remake with the behind the back camera, but I just wasn't a fan. Probably my least favorite main series game outside of Peace Walker which I couldn't even bring myself to finish.

1 I thought was good but I think I enjoyed 2 the most followed by 4 and then 1, and I didn't enjoy 3 or Peace Walker.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#152  Edited By baldgye

I dont think there is any need to try and justify why you like any of the games to a troll lol

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#153  Edited By Nilazz

I thought the whale was a rocket or something first, and a unicorn? Snake is on some drugs!

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#154  Edited By cikame

I love everything about this, especially the part where if this is in fact made by the studio we're told it is, they seem to be able to have a good stab at it.

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Worcanna

This brings up a question. With all this name changing, hidden game names, dummy developers and more. WHY? Kojima is known for being a little odd, sometimes a bit beyond odd but on the scale of things, people worked this out in about 30 minutes and it kinda seems a bit....stupid. He's said before he wants to do a horror game, he's tricked us in the past so no one will take his word for anything by face value anymore. Unless he is trolling flat out, this is a really odd waste of time and i like wastes of time normally. :( Heck, im part of the secret world ARG, THAT will be a waste of time XD.

I just wish i understood this at all. It feels like they want 2 games out and are just scared to show a odd direction that they already said they wanted to do!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#156  Edited By musubi

@MooseyMcMan: Even normal Metal Gear craziness isn't far off from giant flaming ghost whales.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By dropabombonit

Kojima you clever bastard, you have got people talking more about this game than if you had of just played it straight. This trailer looks awesome and the sort of 4th wall mind fuck Kojima is great at

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By ExplodeMode

One of the craziest trailers ever. Who else has to balls to release a trailer and just lie about what it actually is?

So, I'm guessing the tutorial of MGS5 is some kind of simulation you play and this is a trailer for that. That sounds fucked up and misleading enough to be possible.

3 hours later, now that I have woken up and have actually processed this news, I am a crazy person. Still, way psyched to see whatever ass-pulls Kojima has got. NewMGSfuckyeah.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#159  Edited By GunslingerPanda

This certainly looks like MGS5, so it probably isn't. This seems like the MGS2 trailers lacking Raiden again, except this time Kojima is fooling us into believing this is an entirely different game and not just a different character.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#160  Edited By sodacat

My personal theory as of now is that GZ will be the sequel to Peace Walker focused on co-op and base building. PP will be the sequel to MGS4 with a story heavy single player.

Discoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Discoman

Its probably a Dream Sequence within MGS5. Perhaps BB runs into a young Pyscho Mantis, and gets mine warped.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By baldgye

@sodacat said:

My personal theory as of now is that GZ will be the sequel to Peace Walker focused on co-op and base building. PP will be the sequel to MGS4 with a story heavy single player.

what kind of sense does that make? did you see his prostetic arm and claw hand? if it was sent post MGS4 he could have a new arm grown for him... or at least a cybernetic arm... but if its BB then that makes less sense becasue post MGS4 BB is an old old man...

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By kishinfoulux

@ShaggE said:

@kishinfoulux said:

This is the kind of stuff that makes people THINK Kojima is some kind of genius...except he can't write a story worth a damn. And people are going to fall for it all over again. I'll save you all the trouble and spoil the story.

Thank you for showing us the light. It's not like we know it's ridiculous and enjoy it for that, we must simply be too dumb to know better.

But that's the thing...there's people who think Kojima can actually write a coherent story worth a damn. Who think he's great at it. It's hysterical. Don't get me wrong I love the nonsensical, bullshit stories in those games, but I would never call them "good".

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By baldgye

@kishinfoulux said:

@ShaggE said:

@kishinfoulux said:

This is the kind of stuff that makes people THINK Kojima is some kind of genius...except he can't write a story worth a damn. And people are going to fall for it all over again. I'll save you all the trouble and spoil the story.

Thank you for showing us the light. It's not like we know it's ridiculous and enjoy it for that, we must simply be too dumb to know better.

But that's the thing...there's people who think Kojima can actually write a coherent story worth a damn. Who think he's great at it. It's hysterical. Don't get me wrong I love the nonsensical, bullshit stories in those games, but I would never call them "good".

People are entitled to there opinions... why is it every kojima thread, or even maybe kojima thread people have to either list which games they personally enjoyed, or how bad they (in all there great wisdom) feel his writing is?

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By sodacat

@baldgye said:

@sodacat said:

what kind of sense does that make? did you see his prostetic arm and claw hand? if it was sent post MGS4 he could have a new arm grown for him... or at least a cybernetic arm... but if its BB then that makes less sense becasue post MGS4 BB is an old old man...

The sequel to MGS2 took place 40 years beforehand. I mean it will be the sequel in a storytelling and gameplay way, not that it will happen in a time period after MGS4. It could always take place over multiple time periods too.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By BlatantNinja23

So here's where I'm confused... Isn't ground zeroes a thing? I hope they end up just being the same the same thing and not have ground zeroes be some prologue. Otherwise that makes 3 metal gears not out yet. 2 of which not attached to consoles. You'd assume Xbox Infinity (or whatever) and PS4 but still.

It makes sense at least for him to want to show the game off, but really couldn't, so they came up with the ground zeroes stuff.

Also this easily could just be some dream sequence level... which would be disappointing cause I would have liked to go into that fresh

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Worcanna

@rebgav: To put it bluntly. "It was either announced to not get in the way of the MGS-GZ name, which it has since we know its MGSV unlike GZ which is a starter to something. Or its part of five in general, thus making it one of the stupidest ideas EVER, instead of one of the most ill thought out ideas ever.

Damned if you do, stupid if it is. I know im being a killjoy with it but i miss the days when i could just enjoy something.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Ghostiet

@sodacat: I'll be the grammar nazi here and say that there's a word for it - "prequel", which means a successor to a work that is set chronologically before the events of the predecessor. There's also "midquel", which takes place during the same time frame and "interquel", which bridges the gap between two works if there was a time skip.

Nothing else to add, just some friendly Aspergering about cool words!

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#169  Edited By N7

Forbes released an article saying that The Phantom Pain is nothing but viral marketing for Ground Zeroes. A Konami rep "laughed knowingly" and said "no comment".

So, it's not a new game. It's part of an existing game.

People are speculating that Ground Zeroes is the first chapter of the game, while The Phantom Pain is the second half, just like, Virtuous Mission and Operation Snake Eater.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#170  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think this is Ground Zeroes for sure. Plenty of signs pointing to that. Dudes on NeoGAF have done a good job breaking down and speculating on it.

You wouldn't do this trailer for V and overshadow Ground Zeroes when it appeared to be a full fledged Metal Gear game.

But either way: CRAZINESS

@N7 said:

Forbes released an article saying that The Phantom Pain is nothing but viral marketing for Ground Zeroes. A Konami rep "laughed knowingly" and said "no comment".

So, it's not a new game. It's part of an existing game.

People are speculating that Ground Zeroes is the first chapter of the game, while The Phantom Pain is the second half, just like, Virtuous Mission and Operation Snake Eater.

I think this is right on. There was also the mission split in Metal Gear Solid 2 between the tanker and Big Shell.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Whitestripes09

I bet this is some sort of intro/chapter that is going to be called the Phantom Pain in Ground Zeroes that involves Big Boss in VR training or something like it. I think Kojima is probably thinking it would be better to just call Ground Zeroes Metal Gear Solid 5 now.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Story Telling is formed from the power of imgination.

Not everything has to be comparable to Cormac McCarthy to be considered "good"

As far as imagination goes Hideo is top in his class, the fact the writing isn't top notch is a nonsensical argument. Metal Gear isn't great because it's going to be remembered for it's world class scripts, it's great because it's fueled by the sheer determination of imgination.

If you disregard MGS as being good due to it's minor failures in story telling you need to pull your head out of your ass. No, you're not seeing something that MGS fans all miss - you're just missing the magic we all see.

If you still feel like Metal Gear sucks that's fine, but I really feel for those who can't find enjoyment in it. It is truly a loss to not experience MG like so many others have.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#173  Edited By csl316

I saw some mention of Big Boss being seriously injured after his encounter with Snake on the NES.  Would be cool if this tied to it.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Lysergica33

@kishinfoulux said:

@ShaggE said:

@kishinfoulux said:

It takes a certain kind of twisted genius to be able to write the convoluted, ridiculous crap that Kojima writes. You may not enjoy it, but it doesn't make it bad writing. It makes it writing that doesn't fit your own personal definition of "good."

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Lysergica33 said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@ShaggE said:

@kishinfoulux said:

It takes a certain kind of twisted genius to be able to write the convoluted, ridiculous crap that Kojima writes. You may not enjoy it, but it doesn't make it bad writing. It makes it writing that doesn't fit your own personal definition of "good."

I love it and I think he's a genius.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#176  Edited By FilipHolm

I just find it hilarious how so many people seem absolutely sure this is an MGS game all of a sudden. When there is no confirmation at all.

To me it doesn't feel like Mgs at all.

Also, it's not like Joakim isn't a common name,it is very much so in fact. I know 3 of them

Edit: That does look like Snake though... and the phantom thing... Fuck you guys! Now you have me excited

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Nottle

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Lysergica33 said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@ShaggE said:

@kishinfoulux said:

I love it and I think he's a genius.

If you look at the games from a single game to it's sequel, that's where it falls apart (especially if you consider MGS2 to MGS4, they had to retcon a lot.) But if you look at each game on their own I'd say they are pretty well written. MGS2 is too well thought out on a Meta level.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By N7

@FilipHolm said:

I just find it hilarious how so many people seem absolutely sure this is an MGS game all of a sudden. When there is no confirmation at all.

To me it doesn't feel like Mgs at all.

Also, it's not like Joakim isn't a common name,it is very much so in fact. I know 3 of them

Welcome to the world of MGS. The series is home to not confirming anything. It's up to the fans to put it together. Half of the established lore is implied with no fact or confirmation to be found.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By FilipHolm

So if this actually is a MGS game (a concept I am actually starting to belive might be true)... why is there a giant flaming whale and a unicorn on fire? Even for Kojma that seems way over the top

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Azurath

This is actually really convincing....

Well, time to go pick up MGS HD for my Vita, got to prepare.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#181  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@FilipHolm said:

So if this actually is a MGS game (a concept I am actually starting to belive might be true)... why is there a giant flaming whale and a unicorn on fire? Even for Kojma that seems way over the top

It's really not over the top for him what so ever. There was walking through the zombies in the Sorrow boss fight in MGS 3, or the Psycho Mantis boss fight in MGS, among other strange, supernatural moments.

It seems Psycho Mantis is there in the trailer, so it could be related to him. There is all the fire in the trailer and part of Mantis' backstory is that he destroyed his village with fire by unleashing his powers.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By FilipHolm

@CharlesAlanRatliff said:

Yep:

Fuck you, Kojima...

Edit: The swedish version of their website is kinda convincing... I feel like sending them an e-mail and asking

Avatar image for piqued_interest
    Piqued_Interest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Piqued_Interest

Secretly, The Phantom Pain is actually the Silent Hill reboot starring Big Boss.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By ghost_cat

Whatever this game is, that sound track was utterly good and intense has hell.

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Worcanna

The way stuff works in MGS, its kinda hard not to say its a MGS game at this point. Yes, its not confirmed but we have grown to spot the tricks Kojima uses at this point. Misdirection and split second shots don't work on the internet anymore because we see them too fast and "Coincidence" doesn't happen in the this high a form. "Oh, the lead of this brand new studio for this game just happens to have a name that is split into 2 very distinct clues towards both Kojima and the new Metal Gear Rising game's plot. Its SO just luck that happens." I will believe you, if you told me that at the end of MGR, Raiden turns into a unicorn, farts himself to the moon to pick flowers for snake before landing back to earth and curing the worlds illnesses thanks to the power of "Nanohugs", a new strand of nano in the world that Otacon made the world, that ends up being turned into a weapon called "Nanonuggies!". I will believe this because Kojima is flipping insane and seems to work under the rule that twisting the minds of his players till they break and work his way is the correct story direction. He spent 3 games building up the mystic/tech of the world...only to hand-wave it all away in MGS4 as nanos!

I think its safe to assume that he is being odd :) i don't think its unfair to assume we are right first try and for the first time in a LONG time, i will happy believe im right till he tells me im wrong at E3 this year.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By sodacat

@Worcanna said:

Yes, its not confirmed but we have grown to spot the tricks Kojima uses at this point. Misdirection and split second shots don't work on the internet anymore because we see them too fast and "Coincidence" doesn't happen in the this high a form.

Considering how long Kojima's been doing this I'd say he's probably developed a few tricks we haven't seen yet. We were supposed to work out the message within hours. Whether or not this is the end of the message, well, we'll find that out in the future.

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Worcanna

@sodacat said:

@Worcanna said:

Yes, its not confirmed but we have grown to spot the tricks Kojima uses at this point. Misdirection and split second shots don't work on the internet anymore because we see them too fast and "Coincidence" doesn't happen in the this high a form.

Considering how long Kojima's been doing this I'd say he's probably developed a few tricks we haven't seen yet. We were supposed to work out the message within hours. Whether or not this is the end of the message, well, we'll find that out in the future.

I want to say that is true. The guy knows how to hype a fanbase so well. (God knows this gal has fallen for it too much) but it is still very much in his ballpark so far to just see what has happened and kinda say "well, this is showing this. Either its a false showing and he's teasing us with stuff that looks like MGS or he's playing us and this is going to be like the flashback in MGS3 where you played a tech demo for the vampire hunting game.", You know what i mean?

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#188  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Hmmm......i think i would be more excited for a card game based on the MGS universe since Ground Zeroes is already a thing. Man the things i would do for another Acid game...perhaps even buy a Vita

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By N7

@Worcanna said:

@sodacat said:

@Worcanna said:

I want to say that is true. The guy knows how to hype a fanbase so well. (God knows this gal has fallen for it too much) but it is still very much in his ballpark so far to just see what has happened and kinda say "well, this is showing this. Either its a false showing and he's teasing us with stuff that looks like MGS or he's playing us and this is going to be like the flashback in MGS3 where you played a tech demo for the vampire hunting game.", You know what i mean?

Indeed. He also did an interview not too long ago where he said he's going to be taking neat and unique ideas and putting them under the MGS banner instead of creating new IP's, and then almost immediately The Phantom Pain shows up.

Then you take into account one of the guys wearing a Moby Dick Studios shirt wasn't only not Swedish, but was in fact someone who worked with MGS before. THEN the Forbes article saying that The Phantom Pain was just viral marketing, they talked to a Konami rep who "laughed knowingly" at that accusation and then said "No comment."

It's his best trick yet, for certain.

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By zdgro

The fact that this is obviously MGS 5 aside... The trailer was awesome. Anyone know where that little piano riff is from when the title shows up? I feel like I have heard it before, unless it is original.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Nottle

@N7 said:

@Worcanna said:

@sodacat said:

@Worcanna said:

Indeed. He also did an interview not too long ago where he said he's going to be taking neat and unique ideas and putting them under the MGS banner instead of creating new IP's, and then almost immediately The Phantom Pain shows up.

Then you take into account one of the guys wearing a Moby Dick Studios shirt wasn't only not Swedish, but was in fact someone who worked with MGS before. THEN the Forbes article saying that The Phantom Pain was just viral marketing, they talked to a Konami rep who "laughed knowingly" at that accusation and then said "No comment."

It's his best trick yet, for certain.

Oh God, What if he is trying to make some commentary on marketing.

I'd be kind of behind Kojima trying to spread out, The MGS games have always felt very different from one another.

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Worcanna

@Nottle: The moment Kojima, who's original games lived and died on marketing, makes a commentary about said marketing, is the day i honestly stop playing games and start my life as a librarian in Russia.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Nottle

@Worcanna said:

@Nottle: The moment Kojima, who's original games lived and died on marketing, makes a commentary about said marketing, is the day i honestly stop playing games and start my life as a librarian in Russia.

It's not like Kojima is afraid of biting the hand that feeds him. Have you played MGS2 or 4?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Ramone

I might be completely misremembering here but hasn't the story of Moby Dick featured somewhere in one of the MGS games before?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Could it probably be Raiden, maybe the story of how he became a cyborg? Could this also be maybe a retelling of Kojima's life? How if he left Konami they'd hack his arm off and try anything to stop him.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Nottle

@Ramone: I could see that being a thing. Might be worth listening to some Otacon, Paramedic, or Mei Ling codec conversations.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By sodacat

@Ramone said:

I might be completely misremembering here but hasn't the story of Moby Dick featured somewhere in one of the MGS games before?

There's a few allegorical comparisons: Naked Snake and The Boss(the boss wears white, dies in a field of white flowers), Naomi Hunter and Solid Snake, Raiden and Vamp, Ocelot and The Patriots. Of those two die in their quest, Raiden nearly dies, and Naked Snake lives with that moment for the rest of his life.

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Worcanna

@Nottle: Where in 4 did he do that though? *confused*

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By darkvare

@FilipHolm: if you do that you'll probably get the usual pr response and when was the last time you saw the ps3 and xbox logo in a developers site footer?

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Nottle

@Worcanna: Raiden in MGS4 is so god damn cool it's like he's saying "you don't like Raiden huh? Well too bad, he's a ninja now, you get to play as this old man, enjoy looking at his ass."

Also he retconed a whole lot.

There is also a segment i Europe when you talk to Big Momma, she talks about how all the soldiers enlisted because they grew up playing shooters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.