Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

MGS 5 TGS trailer dump, now with wolves and in English

• 162 results
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

@thephantomstranger: I really hope that's not it. I want this to be the story of Big Boss, not some stupid plot twist that Kojima concocted, and decided to "ruin" the rest of the game by making his shadow look terrible by having the wrong head.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mooseymcman: I doubt he'd actually do that or if he did it would have to be for as good as a reason as MGS2 had. Considering how much he keeps going on about the race and revenge themes I doubt that's all an act.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@truthtellah: man that is awesome I would proudly display a little skull face on my desk at work

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantomstranger: I just don't understand how his shadow doesn't have hair! MGS2 Snake's shadow had hair! It's driving me nuts!

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By The_Ruiner

I'm not opposed to sexy outfits in silly games. But Quiet's outfit isn't even trying. It's just a bra and ripped tights... If she must be sexy give her one of these or something... unzip it even.

No Caption Provided
    cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remain excited for MGSV and pessimistic about Kiefer Sutherland's involvement in the project.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#107  Edited By musubi

I thought it was pretty much confirmed that Quiet's camoflauge ability is directly tied into being more effective the more exposed skin she has. I'll probably not watch any of this stuff cause I've already seen a ton about the game. I don't need convincing that I'll like this game.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god this fucking game, so DUMB

GOTY

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By fetchfox

Her powers look really cool, and this is damn nice looking game. Looking forward to see how it plays first hand.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By civid

@cmblasko: I'm almost tempted to just play it in Japanese if that is an option. Like Sutherland as an actor A LOT, but that doesn't mean he's a good voice actor

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, as this is the origin of Big Boss being a complete scumbag, Mr. Sutherland phoning it in could have some benefits.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

the new wolf trailer is AMAZING!

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon:

Just watched that myself. I updated the first post, it doesn't seem worth making a new forum topic, but the people MUST KNOW.

Avatar image for deactivated-598d846d3a52a
    deactivated-598d846d3a52a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love MGS so I always expect it to be super dumb. However, walking away from Ground Zeroes I had the taste that this could be the darkest game yet. Those audio tapes for example wasn't exactly pleasant. Making Quiet into a slutty nightcrawler is bit of a let-down because I honestly don't believe you can have both: very serious elements attached to certain characters and then give them god like powers. I think I got wrapped up with Ground Zeroes that it made me forget it's still MGS.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@thethingaboutmachines: MGS4 had a lot of serious stuff (cancer, autism) and a lot of dumb moments (Mount Snakemore).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: It did and I agree with you. I do see problems with my post. Maybe my disappointment is a mixture of this being my first MGS game that I've actually waited for, even hyped myself up. Yet having a character that potentially COULD have a seriously dark background (rape) and having her dress the way she does along with teleporting powers really does seem dodgy. I know I know, there's a reason, as to why she dresses like that for the powers, right? Attaching some dumb reason behind it doesn't make it better.

None of this is your fault haha. I'm just trying to express my concern about what might be the best MGS game in the series. Be a shame to have things like this ruin the "story". Even though the story by nature is super dumb.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@thethingaboutmachines: For the most part, I think Quiet's design will be more of a distraction to engagement than something that will ruin an otherwise good game. The MGS series has had many missteps when it came to design or characterization, especially when it comes to women, but they are still overall compelling and enjoyable games. I do think these issues could be detracting elements, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they may ruin it. MGS V is probably going to be a fine game with some issues, like most big games.

Though, I will be curious about how they handle rape in it, if that is really something they delve a lot into. Obviously Ground Zeroes wasn't worried about going into that; so, it will be interesting how it may be handled in TPP. On a personal level, I have a much harder time with rape in games or any kind of media, and even well-handled scenes can hurt. So, poorly-handled ones can be extremely troublesome to enjoying the rest of a game, movie, etc.

I hope, if they do feel it's important to focus on, that it will be used for more than just shock value. I'm not confident it will be done well, because, honestly, it's difficult to approach at all. But perhaps it won't be that bad. And maybe at worst, it will just be a mild distraction to an otherwise great game. I look forwarding to seeing how it turns out.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that there is a wolf with an eyepatch in this game is the most Metal Gear thing I've ever seen and I could not be happier about it. I had seriously been hoping there would be a canine companion in the game, but I was expecting more of a hound, like on the Diamond Dogs logo, not a WOLF WITH AN EYEPATCH.

Man, everything I see for this game somehow makes me more excited than I was, and every time I think I can't get more excited...

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolf pups!

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've loved damn near most Metal Gear games I've played but my favourite is MGS3 and so far The Phantom Pain is giving me serioussssssss MGS3 vibes. Especially in the design of the environments and with how many little details there seems to be colouring the edges of the gameplay. All the games have had that to an extent, but none more so than MGS3.

(By little details I mean stuff like the multiple ways you could kill 'The End' in 3, the way you could blow up the guardhouses and make all the guards hungry, how if you spent more time in the cave in MGS3 Snake's eyes would adjust to the darkness and the screen would become brighter etc.)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By TruthTellah

@mooseymcman: I'm already predicting that the Wolf is one of the Patriots.

"Rrrrr grrrrrrr METAL GEAR gggrrr awwwoooooo!"

Alternatively: "Ra-Ri-Ru-Re-Roooooo!"

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yet having a character that potentially COULD have a seriously dark background (rape) and having her dress the way she does along with teleporting powers really does seem dodgy.

Where did you hear about that? I must've missed it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Damn it, you beat me to it! RA RI RU RE RO!

How many nanomachines will DD have?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Damn it, you beat me to it! RA RI RU RE RO!

How many nanomachines will DD have?

DD will lift his eyepatch near the end, revealing that he actually now has a nanomachine-fueled laser eye like Cyclops, and it fries the face of an evil American diplomat.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone in the NeoGAF thread floated this idea, and it's just too good not to share: at the end of the game, Big Boss gives DD to a young Sniper Wolf.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thethingaboutmachines said:

Yet having a character that potentially COULD have a seriously dark background (rape) and having her dress the way she does along with teleporting powers really does seem dodgy.

Where did you hear about that? I must've missed it.

Kojima tweeted that you will feel ashamed once you find out her backstory or something to that effect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Absolutely and good post. I think it was the initial shock of hearing the audio tapes with that atmosphere they were going for with GZ with the kids all locked up in cages. Then jumping to this trailer with Quiet doing her powers and then some wolf turning up with an eye-patch. If somebody were to tell me that Metal Gear had super serious storylines, I wouldn't agree completely even though some themes are adult underneath the surface. I would just have flashbacks to Johnny crapping his pants. Although touching upon themes that haven't really been seen before threw me off and I forgot that we were dealing with the backlog of all the goofy-ness. To be completely honest with you, I actually wanted them to ditch the baggage of all the dumb stuff they had in the past and do a serious story considering this is Kojima's "last" MGS game.

However, I love Sutherland, but would pay cash to see his face seeing the script for the first time.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone in the NeoGAF thread floated this idea, and it's just too good not to share: at the end of the game, Big Boss gives DD to a young Sniper Wolf.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/9/92448/2636108-2634134-wow3.gif

Well, it is definitely canon that Big Boss took her under his wing and inspired her; so, that isn't too far-fetched. That would be a really cool nod.

Though, if Big Boss likes the wolf, I imagine it will die at some point. Or, in classic MGS style, it will never die and people will suddenly find an easter egg in MGS4 showing that DD is still alive even then. ha.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: This evil American diplomat being the father of the Senator from Revengeance, I assume.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By TruthTellah
    @mooseymcman said:

@truthtellah: This evil American diplomat being the father of the Senator from Revengeance, I assume.

Obviously.

And after the credits, his wife will receive the news from the President, and she will have to tell her son what happened to his papa. The young future senator will ask, "Mama... with so many evil people, how can we ever get strong enough to make the world a better place?" To which she replies, "Nanomachines, son."

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman said:

Obviously.

And after the credits, his wife will receive the news from the President, and she will have to tell her son what happened to his papa. The young future senator will ask, "Mama... with so many evil people, how can we ever get strong enough to make the world a better place?" To which she replies, "Nanomachines, son."

Goddamnit, I knew it would come to this. I knew it was coming, and yet, I was amused.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

This game just looks incredible.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:
    @mooseymcman said:

Obviously.

Goddamnit, I knew it would come to this. I knew it was coming, and yet, I was amused.

The best part is that if, let's say I was in a coma until after the release of MGSV and you told me this happened in a Metal Gear game...I would believe you.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@minipato said:

Something makes me think there's gonna be quite a bit of tension between Kaz and Ocelot. Kaz, from the trailers, seems more hell bent on revenge than Ocelot. He might be the one who spurs on Big Boss' darker side while Ocelot might be, ironically, the voice of reason or at least moderation.

Hard to say. Kaz calls Big Boss "a monster" in Metal Gear 2 and I imagine that he must do something that will disgust even someone as unhinged and bent on revenge as Miller. I imagine it might be connected to that shot of Big Boss strutting all chill-like with Skull Face.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this might seem like I'm stating the obvious, but watching these trailers, it blows my mind that we are finally at the point that we don't need pre-rendered cutscenes anymore, because the in-engine stuff at this point is more than enough. JUST LOOK AT THE WAY THAT DOG ANIMATES, HOLY CRAP.

yurimegumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Corevi
    crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: I'm already predicting that the Wolf is one of the Patriots.

"Rrrrr grrrrrrr METAL GEAR gggrrr awwwoooooo!"

Alternatively: "Ra-Ri-Ru-Re-Roooooo!"

please be true and he's got a bowl of kibble by his seat on the table

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By crithon

here's a crazy idea.... what if you can select animals to be your animal companion but they each have one eye and wear an eye patch? Get a pet parrot? Or an elephant? We have only seen maybe 4 animals, the sheep, the horse, wolf and a few goats in the newest trailer. I do miss Snake Eater's animal index so happy to see this kinda return with the farm on mother base.

The dogs from Diamond Dogs haven't been shown yet except for opening of Ground Zeroes.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard some pikey in a caravan park sells them. He tells me they're the hardest dogs known to man but I don't believe him. I watched an hour of Metal Gear timeline videos tonight and I am thoroughly prepared for any further dumbness Kojima fancies throwing at me.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

flame me all you want, i think quiet is awesome.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's adorable. Man, every time there's something shown, while it has that basic Ground Zeroes look and mechanics, there just seems to be layers on top of it, like more than you know what to do with, but it'll all make sense in the end I'm sure.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

The gameplay is looking like MGS meets Far Cry whackiness and open world freedom.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is Quiet actually Chico or not?

This is a really ridiculous theory, but I swear to goodness if it turns out to be true I'm going to have to separate myself from the Metal Gear fandom after seventeen years because I don't think I will be able to tolerate the way people will react to something like that.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I continue to wonder where people who complain about the simultaneous serious themes and ridiculous anime nonsense have been for the rest of the series. Go watch Metal Gear Scanlon if you forget that it was there from MGS.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best part of these new trailers was showing someone a screenshot of the Wolf and convincing them that at some point Big Boss becomes a werewolf.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eyepatch wolf companion = game of the year

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.