Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft: Story Mode

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 13, 2015

A Telltale adventure game inspired by the sandbox game of the same name (and its numerous fan-created video series), as newbie builder Jesse and their friends search the lands of Minecraft for a group of legendary adventurers to save the world.

Telltale, Mojang Partnering for Minecraft: Story Mode

• 131 results
    pslayer666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

unspecified playstation consoles :P

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@zeeman155: You say "prove" twice in your comment, and it sounds like you're prescribing a character trait on a company where it doesn't make any sense. How do you think Telltales current situation reflects on then in such a way as to make you think they're only doing this because they have something to "prove"?

Look, the way it's happening to Telltale is the way it happens to a lot of people/entities in entertainment. Your company is full of talented and hard working people who take every chance you get and have a ton of dream ideas you're chomping at the bit for. When the big break happens and suddenly you have a ton if offers...well if you can scale up correctly to facilitate the many opportunities then why wouldn't you do a ton of stuff?

There is this attitude of fear, where people wait for Telltale to screw up instead of enjoying the good stuff they put out. There will always be stinkers but if they're continually putting out mostly good stuff then let's be positive. Not blindly but rationally.

Specifically in regards to Minecraft, I think that by now we all should have learned that execution is where it really matters. Any idea can turn out great or crap so why poopoo this just because it sounds difficult to pull off on paper?

Sammerguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You see articles like this is why I love the Onion.

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Minecraft: This time it's a game!

internetfamous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By DonPixel

@dizzyhippos said:

So Minecraft is finally becoming a game?

@zirilius said:

@dizzyhippos said:

The irony of these post is that Minecraft in its current sandbox - emergent gameplay form is actually way more of a game than most traditional videogames due to its huge possibilities of player choice.

And in fact game theory-design wise Tell Tale "games" are more like linear interactive stories. Talk about erroneous pre conceived notions of what a video game is or could be.

@fazzle It has no score, you can't level up, you can't kill stuff... It can't be a videogame!

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mysterysheep said:

@bacongames said:

@zorak said:

Telltale has apparently realized that deep down, all they really want is LOADSAMONEY

I can tell you that no one in this industry would pass up the opportunity to be solvent, especially if the money comes down to make a project that leaves them with a lot of leeway to do their own thing.

Problem is Telltale hasn't really done their own thing before and probably won't in the future. They work with nothing but existing properties. It was cool when those properties were old LucasArts games that hadn't seen the light of day in a long time, but now... I dunno, man. Seems like they're already struggling with quality control on a lot of recent stuff and I doubt announcing new series after new series is gonna help too much.

I don't necessarily mean in terms of licensing and IP but how much publisher oversight is built into the project. And my original point is that devs often make the sacrifice to work within a publisher's constraints if it means they can continue to operate, pay people, and not have to live from project to project.

I don't see where this quality control stuff is coming from because I don't know if you've played older Telltale games but it's not like they've been churning out games that get 9s and 10s since 2006. A lot of their games are some of my favorites and I continue to be a huge fan but reviews for their games going back to the start of the company average somewhere in the upper 7s and 8s and the stuff that's coming out now is pretty much in that range. To me, Jurassic Park is veering off course and their response showed they're plenty capable of course correction.

I guess I'm speaking more from personal taste. I was a huge fan following the release of the first Sam & Max season up until and including The Walking Dead. I remember falling off when the Back to The Future games came out and then coming back on board with the Walking Dead. I dunno, I feel like there's less passion behind their latest projects. The increased number of odd property choices only furthers this feeling I have of them being more business-focused then they perhaps were in the past.

Maybe this is unique to the time when they were working on Sam & Max, but I always got a grass-roots feeling from them. Like "Hey! We're making this stuff because we want to see it exist!". It doesn't really seem that way anymore. Especially with the announcement of a spin-off to a game lacking any form of narrative element but a game that is promising from a financial perspective. Just sharing the impression I'm getting of what they are these days versus their past. To summarise, current Telltale makes me feel icky.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose what ever floats their boat. Won't be something I invest in as I see cash grab written all over this. Sorta like those direct to dvd sequels of Disney movies. Some people enjoy them so hey, why not.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
    deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

this is insane

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Capitalism, ho!

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somewhere, somehow, someone is ringing the Swelling Bubble Bell with all their furied might.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Few things interest me less than this.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By boboblaw

That sounds so fucking stupid. It'll probably print money but holy shit I can't think of a more baffling combination.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just silly. Why Mine craft? Telltale seems like the company that's just jumping at any opportunity to prove that they can use there style on any game/franchise/whatever. So far they've proven themselves right, but it just makes me feel like their next misstep will inevitably be around the corner. I don't know why they're trying to prove anything, I'd rather see them place their resources in one stack in a project that contains elements in what they know best and just do that really really well. I no longer know what Telltale is anymore. What's next Telltale's EVE Online?

How can you not know what Telltale is? They haven't changed at all since The Walking Dead. Telltale makes narrative focused games with dialogue and decision-making as their main mechanics. And that is a fantastic formula (if you're into these sorts of games) in which most fictional universes would fit in. That's what their take on Minecraft will be and that would be their take on EVE as well, a pretty promising one if you ask me.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@bargainben: It isn't counter to the product at all. Go and see how wildly successful Minecraft novels are.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, weird choice. I got tired of Telltale's formula halfway through Wolf Among Us. At this point I rather watch this stuff on youtube.

Reuelthomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrick A telltale X-Files game would be amazing! Damn, now that's the only game they could announce that would make me happy. Get on it Telltale!

cyberfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The tree you cut down will remember that.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crembaw: dude your avatar is kiilling me, must clean that bin!

PanaMusica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PanaMusica

Hopefully this will be written for the true fans (example: my 7-year old)

Kerafyrm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why can't Telltale just die already? All they've been is a cancer to the adventure game genre.

DanTheGamer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@kerafyrm said:

Why can't Telltale just die already? All they've been is a cancer to the adventure game genre.

I don't see Telltale games as 'adventure games' really, more like 'interactive fiction'. Hence the name 'Telltale' :)

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I guess I'm speaking more from personal taste. I was a huge fan following the release of the first Sam & Max season up until and including The Walking Dead. I remember falling off when the Back to The Future games came out and then coming back on board with the Walking Dead. I dunno, I feel like there's less passion behind their latest projects. The increased number of odd property choices only furthers this feeling I have of them being more business-focused then they perhaps were in the past.

Maybe this is unique to the time when they were working on Sam & Max, but I always got a grass-roots feeling from them. Like "Hey! We're making this stuff because we want to see it exist!". It doesn't really seem that way anymore. Especially with the announcement of a spin-off to a game lacking any form of narrative element but a game that is promising from a financial perspective. Just sharing the impression I'm getting of what they are these days versus their past. To summarise, current Telltale makes me feel icky.

Hey, for what it's worth I sorta did the same thing and skipped Back to the Future but that's probably as much a function of having no attachment to the franchise. Indeed it was about time for a shakeup but in my experience you're in for a penny in for a pound with adventure games at a base level. As for the grass-roots feeling, I'm sure there was some of that but so were the tight purse strings then as well. Telltale expanding is likely as much a direct correlation with their growth rather than sitting on the pile of cash. So in their minds hey what if more of our talented team were able to make more games with all these different, lucrative, and creatively interesting properties. With growth they likely had to be more business-focused like any company would, no matter how cool the people behind it.

I don't know, I've heard this narrative before and while I can see where it comes from, I haven't really felt it at all. I suppose I don't hold it against Telltale when I skip something because I know I'll enjoy the stuff I will play. If I know good people are behind these projects and I trust them to keep making good stuff down the line, it's totally okay to skip over some stuff and they would agree.

Of course the irony of all this is that I guarantee you plenty of people at Telltale feel the same way of the criticisms this might be getting. At the same time, I also bet there are a ton of people who are genuinely excited to do what they love and have a crack at this project.

93The_Ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually I think it's becoming less of a game?

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't think they could go any lower than Borderlands, but here we are.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By DonPixel

Does makes me wonder if MS understand why is Minecraft popular. It is one thing to milk toys, it is another to canibalize your franchise with a spin off. For some people this is going to be the "new" Minecraft game, just that it is a substancial different game.

hey guys lets make a linear interactive story for our newly adquired sandbox emergent gameplay franchise, let the milking begin.

JonnyAshley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in as long as it's not a point and click adventure.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sounds awful but this will make literal assloads of money.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Troy Baker & Telltale take on anything.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait. this isn't a twitter joke?

AwkwardMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume they're going to get the authors of those 18 page Minecraft books on Amazon to write for them.

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By thepullquotes

This could be good, think of it like a Lego kit. This will further expand the possibilities it's only going to create new ideas.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

That makes sense. They've ported it to every possible platform and made a billion dollars on all of them already so the next logical step is to branch out into things the game isn't and try new things with it.

Since Microsoft owns it now I expect to see a lot more silly nonsense with this franchise. It will probably all make billions of dollars, too.

I don't know. It could be good. I don't really understand what they'll do with it, but whatever.

Avatar image for agnosticwatermelon
    Agnosticwatermelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp, maybe we can get another sam and max series in 2020

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Sessh

You know, I wanted something original out of Telltale, but it definitely wasn't this. Dear god.

Bunny_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I can say is good luck with that. LOL

annymouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By annymouse

How many other ways can Minecraft not be a game? Tune in to this piece of trash to find out.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By OGJackWagon69

Minecraft:story mode? Is that really the title? thats lame

Chillicothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Chillicothe

"This porterhouse could really use a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top"

BigD145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnope. Totally unneeded.

Faythdream10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you know that "telltale" is an anagram for "overreaching the bounds of one's talent or means"?

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysterysheep said:

Hey, for what it's worth I sorta did the same thing and skipped Back to the Future but that's probably as much a function of having no attachment to the franchise. Indeed it was about time for a shakeup but in my experience you're in for a penny in for a pound with adventure games at a base level. As for the grass-roots feeling, I'm sure there was some of that but so were the tight purse strings then as well. Telltale expanding is likely as much a direct correlation with their growth rather than sitting on the pile of cash. So in their minds hey what if more of our talented team were able to make more games with all these different, lucrative, and creatively interesting properties. With growth they likely had to be more business-focused like any company would, no matter how cool the people behind it.

I don't know, I've heard this narrative before and while I can see where it comes from, I haven't really felt it at all. I suppose I don't hold it against Telltale when I skip something because I know I'll enjoy the stuff I will play. If I know good people are behind these projects and I trust them to keep making good stuff down the line, it's totally okay to skip over some stuff and they would agree.

Of course the irony of all this is that I guarantee you plenty of people at Telltale feel the same way of the criticisms this might be getting. At the same time, I also bet there are a ton of people who are genuinely excited to do what they love and have a crack at this project.

That's fair. It's just after having these feelings for a while, another announcement of a new series mixed with it being Minecraft of all things put a really sour taste in my mouth. For the most part, I was keeping quiet about this stuff hoping that I was wrong. But Minecraft? Like, really? Who knows... Maybe they thought blank enough slate, maybe this could be our first step towards something more original, but... I dunno, dude. Seems like a lot of wishful thinking.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody will remember that

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By development

@linkachu95 said:

I don't unserstand this at all. Why would anyone buy a game that is completely unrelated to the original game they fell in love with just because it has the same name attached? On an unrelated note, I just bought Pokemon Art Academy while I wait for that Pokemon fighting game to come out.

It will sell, and Telltale will make loads and loads of fucking money, which they can then use to fund their "real" projects. Telltale merely chose to make it an Adventure game because that's what they're good at. They're pulling a Lionsgate.

As for this game... I'm gonna assume they'll try their hand at a comedy children's game, in the vein of Adventure Time.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Minecraft, aka "kids buy anything with this shit on it".

I can't wait for Tell Tale to make another adventure game that looks like its running on the PS2.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This sounds entirely uninteresting, and I like Minecraft.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me, or is Telltale getting a bit... overzealous?

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bargainben: It isn't counter to the product at all. Go and see how wildly successful Minecraft novels are.

And Sonic has mountains and mountains of written fan fiction about it. Does that mean Sonic is a fountain of narrative potential or simply that hardcore scribe Sonic/Minecraft fans are weirdos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.