Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

IGN reviews Minecraft

• 68 results
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By coakroach

Wait seriously? They reviewed it like its a proper game?

I mean i've spent hours in Minecraft and enjoyed it but the game is unplayable without wikis and guides

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By eccentrix

I haven't played Minecraft properly in about a year, so a review would be useful for me to know what the full version is like. The mentions of the need for guides reminds me how when I first played I spent hours wondering how to break blocks because I didn't know to hold down the mouse button. I had to watch a let's play to figure it out because no guide explained it simply enough.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#53  Edited By Dagbiker
    @Dany

@mosespippy said:

@Banshee: I'm basically fed up of threads like these (all from the past 2 months). 9.0 from IGN, IGN review up, I think IGN liked the game., IGN review is up - it's a little strange, First Review is in: 9.5 from IGN, IGN's review of GOW 3 will be up tomorrow -- score predictions?

Why do all these people think we want to know what IGN thinks?

I hate this. People need to stop. OR at least create a thread that collects all reviews.

Like an aggregate of some sort, or a media critic.
    Avatar image for captaininvictus
    CaptainInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By CaptainInvictus

@FlemmingM said:

A review for minecraft does seem quite pointless. Though I would love to see an actual Quick look of the game, here on the site.

Yes, this. I seem to recall hearing that the GB crew vowed never to review Minecraft because they hate the fanbase and the constant requests for reviews of Minecraft, but I too wouldn't mind seeing a quick look of it

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By eccentrix

After my last post I updated to see how it is post-release and today I've spent 12 hours straight playing it, so it seems okay.

Owlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Owlhead

I bought the game ages ago, but the review was interesting. Pretty much reflected on my feelings toward it. Find it funny how many people are up in arms about the 8.5 on the graphics scale, heh heh.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By OneManX

@CaptainInvictus said:

@FlemmingM said:

A review for minecraft does seem quite pointless. Though I would love to see an actual Quick look of the game, here on the site.

Yes, this. I seem to recall hearing that the GB crew vowed never to review Minecraft because they hate the fanbase and the constant requests for reviews of Minecraft, but I too wouldn't mind seeing a quick look of it

I think it kinda comes from Jeff, when he constantly states that Minecraft, 'Isn't a proper game' and that paying for the BETA then turning around and charging for the 'full" version is kinda... shifty.

Also, as kinda stated in this thread, Yo, it's Minecraft a review now would be pointless.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By sirdesmond

@mosespippy said:

Why is it that every time IGN posts a review for a blockbuster game someone makes a thread about it? Who gives a shit what IGN things? If we wanted to know what IGN thinks we would be on IGN and not Giantbomb.

THIS

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By CptBedlam

@sirdesmond said:

@mosespippy said:

Why is it that every time IGN posts a review for a blockbuster game someone makes a thread about it? Who gives a shit what IGN things? If we wanted to know what IGN thinks we would be on IGN and not Giantbomb.

THIS

Fucking THIS!

Stop the IGN threads! No one wants that shit here.

And these threads are often created by accounts like this one: @Banshee Few posts etc. It almost seems like IGN is viral marketing their shit that they call reviews on other sites.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By CptBedlam

@Banshee said:

@mosespippy: Well, IGN was the first big sites to review the game..... if another big site reviews it that I follow reviews it, I'll post that one too.

IGN will almost ALWAYS be the site, that has the first review up because they are in the shady exclusive review business - and they are pretty much the only electronic publication left that is doing this shit. But apparently there are still lots of naive idiots out there who jump on the first review of anything regardless of how shitty the review and the site is. Think, people! Think, for god's sake!

And if you still don't get it, go to IGN and stay there but don't spam other sites with links to their shit.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#61  Edited By UncleDisco

@OneManX: I still don't get how that is shifty... Sure if you had to pay for it twice, it'd be shifty, but you didn't.. The way I saw it, the alpha/beta access was more of a pre-order bonus.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By TwoLines

I don't think it can be reviewed. Can you score its graphics? I like the blocky look, but it's not "pretty." There's no story, the gameplay is very simple... But the map generation systems are second to none, it's prety damn impressive, and it gives you a different experience each time you create a new world. And it's almost infinite. I think it's more like a "thing," Minecraft zeitgeist, everybody was "in" at some point. If this was a "uniqueness" rating, I'd give it a 10. As a "game," I'd give it a low score, but only because I'd have to compare it to other "games." And it absolutely does not compare to other games.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By SharkEthic

@TwoLines said:

I don't think it can be reviewed. Can you score its graphics? I like the blocky look, but it's not "pretty." There's no story, the gameplay is very simple... But the map generation systems are second to none, it's prety damn impressive, and it gives you a different experience each time you create a new world. And it's almost infinite. I think it's more like a "thing," Minecraft zeitgeist, everybody was "in" at some point. If this was a "uniqueness" rating, I'd give it a 10. As a "game," I'd give it a low score, but only because I'd have to compare it to other "games." And it absolutely does not compare to other games.

A graphics rating doesn't have to reflect how "pretty" a game is; i.e. The Binding of Isaac and Battlefield 3 both got high graphical scores. Minecrafts graphics seems like a clear art style choice by now.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By TwoLines

@SharkEthic: I agree. However, it's considerably harder to judge a game that has a different artstyle, and is not trying to look realistically. It's just another thing to worry about when reviewing the game, some people think it's ugly, it depends on their sense of style.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By eccentrix

@TwoLines said:

I don't think it can be reviewed. Can you score its graphics? I like the blocky look, but it's not "pretty." There's no story, the gameplay is very simple...

If you take graphics as a subjective viewpoint, I think the same could be said about The Sims. Sim City looks blocky and not pretty and doesn't have a story.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By SharkEthic

@TwoLines: At the end of the day reviews are a subjective thing and only represents one persons opinion, so I don't think it'll be harder to review the game when it essentially comes down to personal preference. Look at what the IGN reviewer wrote:

8.5Graphics
    It looks dated and silly the first time you see it, but the visuals of Minecraft are instantly memorable. I love the way it looks.

He loves the way it looks, and that's all that matter in HIS review. I agree with you however, that you can't generalize the this aspect of the review, as it all comes down to taste. Therefore, I think, it's debatable whether or not Minecrafts graphics should even affect a reviewers final score of the game.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TwoLines

@SharkEthic: Yeah, I don't know why we're still arguing here. I like the graphics. Hell, I like the ASCII graphics in Dwarf Fortress. Just sayin' it's more subjective than... let's say... BF3's graphics. That's all.

@eccentrix: They're not really abstract. The graphics in Sim City try to simulate the real world. The Sims... well, it's more cartooney, but it's still about the clarity of textures and slick design. Minecraft has more 8 bit thing going on. You're either into it, or not.

ripsaw117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ripsaw117

@ICryCauseImEmo: they also are the people who gave uncharted best graphics of th year....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.