Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Minecraft Documentary

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

2 Player Productions, who you may know from the first season of the Penny Arcade web show or Reformat the Planet, has put together a proof-of-concept for a documentary about Minecraft, Notch and Mojang Specifications that they are trying to get funding for via Kickstarter. 

Seems like it could be pretty interesting. Personally I think the best part of this story has probably already come and gone, but really there is no telling where Minecraft is going to go now that it has established itself. Crazy shit is always a possibility.

But whatever, opinions are opinions. Here is the mini-doc: 

And here is the Kickstarter.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ineedaname

I watched a lot, then begun to scrub through, it seems a little too artsy for my tastes.

Though I did giggle at the mario kart comment.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Think this is mostly interesting because it's the creation of one person and how it's become so huge. 
    One million sold copies, and GOTY awards, for a game that's still in beta isn't exactly a small feat. 

Kind of brings me back when watching documentaries about the birth of the video game industry, when it came down to the work of a handful of pioneers. 
    Some nostalgia going on here, and it comes back to the basic building blocks (see what I did there?) of game development.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Choi

Great video, thanks for sharing it and pointing it out. I would love to see a full length documentary of the whole development and Notch's life and inspiration. 
     I wish them all the best of luck, both Mojang and  2 Player Productions.

mikular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mikular

Man, this kind of looks awesome. I would pledge were I in a position to do so, but nevermind. Notch and the rest of Mojang seem like really cool guys, and 2 Player Productions' work on Penny Arcade: The Series has been extraordinary, will suck when that series ends. Those are usually only 10-15 minutes though, I'd love to see them make an attempt at feature-length documentaries like this, with a subject matter that I'm really kind of buzzed about. So yeah, all the best to them.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mikemcn

I can think of alot of far more important things that 150,000 Dollars could be put towards, thats a serious amount of money to ask of from donations. I love Minecraft, but comeon. 

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Dylabaloo
    Great little documentary. Notch seems like a really friendly guy best of luck to him.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By I_smell

That was a fun video.
    I don't get what else they're gonna put in it, or why they need $150,000- but that was a fun little documentary.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By pickassoreborn

Loved the documentary snippet - 2 Player Productions have done superb work with the Penny Arcade guys in the past.

One thing I don't get though - if Mojang are earning so much money, why don't they employ the documentary dudes and use whatever they produce to help promote Minecraft and that mystery game more?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.