Minecraft Reaches the Age of Ascension, Becomes a Retail Product

• 111 results
Posted by Alex (2380 posts) -

It took the better part of two-and-a-half years, wherein thousands upon thousands of players found themselves playing the unfinished version for more hours than your average retail product likely ever sees, but finally, after endless revisions and a beta longer than some entire game development cycles, Minecraft has officially gone gold.

Minecraft is gold! Hugs for everyone!

Minecraft creator Notch officially rang the cubed bell of completion last night via his Twitter feed, noting that the official 1.0 client is now available for download (which you can do right here, if you'd like a direct file link). Though some minor tweaks may occur prior to the game's super-duper official release this Friday, those tweaks have been deemed minor enough to where Notch is totally fine with reviewers just reviewing what's out right now.

This, of course, does beg the question of what a Minecraft review even encompasses. Considering Minecraft's elongated and extremely public development history, it's safe to say that a good chunk of the core audience for that game has already played more than a mainstream reviewer would ever see. Does Minecraft even need reviews at this point? Or has it become such a ubiquitous, simply understood entity that transcends the need for standard editorial critique?

I shan't dare to judge myself, and instead will simply note that this retail release comes just ahead of this weekend's MineCon, which takes place this Friday and Saturday in Las Vegas, Nevada. Again, Minecraft is such a popular thing, it already has its own con. What effect can we, the game reviewers of the world, possibly have now? Thanks, Notch, for rendering my chosen profession all but obsolete. I guess all that's left is to hang myself from the ceiling fan again. Hopefully the structural improvements I made after the last time will finish the job this time around.

#1 Posted by Alex (2380 posts) -

It took the better part of two-and-a-half years, wherein thousands upon thousands of players found themselves playing the unfinished version for more hours than your average retail product likely ever sees, but finally, after endless revisions and a beta longer than some entire game development cycles, Minecraft has officially gone gold.

Minecraft is gold! Hugs for everyone!

Minecraft creator Notch officially rang the cubed bell of completion last night via his Twitter feed, noting that the official 1.0 client is now available for download (which you can do right here, if you'd like a direct file link). Though some minor tweaks may occur prior to the game's super-duper official release this Friday, those tweaks have been deemed minor enough to where Notch is totally fine with reviewers just reviewing what's out right now.

This, of course, does beg the question of what a Minecraft review even encompasses. Considering Minecraft's elongated and extremely public development history, it's safe to say that a good chunk of the core audience for that game has already played more than a mainstream reviewer would ever see. Does Minecraft even need reviews at this point? Or has it become such a ubiquitous, simply understood entity that transcends the need for standard editorial critique?

I shan't dare to judge myself, and instead will simply note that this retail release comes just ahead of this weekend's MineCon, which takes place this Friday and Saturday in Las Vegas, Nevada. Again, Minecraft is such a popular thing, it already has its own con. What effect can we, the game reviewers of the world, possibly have now? Thanks, Notch, for rendering my chosen profession all but obsolete. I guess all that's left is to hang myself from the ceiling fan again. Hopefully the structural improvements I made after the last time will finish the job this time around.

#2 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

Finally!

#3 Edited by Beaudacious (934 posts) -

Lies! This game will never leave beta.

#4 Posted by Elohym (24 posts) -

About time.

#5 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

just when everyone has kinda stopped caring about it

#6 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Awesome, I think I'm MineCrafted out though, spent like 15 hours on this huge huge building full of tunnel systems and huge pieces, only to have it burn down.

#7 Posted by DFSVegas (356 posts) -

Jeez alex, that's a tad grim :/

#8 Posted by Babylonian (837 posts) -

My two youngest brothers are huge Minecraft fanatics, and one of them told me the other day that, yes, Virginia, there is an ending to Minecraft now.

Weeeeeird.

#9 Posted by Brendan (8118 posts) -

Christ, such a depressing end to an article.

#10 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

This article made me laugh out loud. Alex, your grim sense of humour is awesome.

#11 Posted by SSully (4315 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Awesome, I think I'm MineCrafted out though, spent like 15 hours on this huge huge building full of tunnel systems and huge pieces, only to have it burn down.

I wish I could have seen your reaction. Me and my buddy made this huge underground world on some random public server. One day we went out and the server was down for good. We were devastated

#12 Posted by drumpsycho89 (508 posts) -

i find it utterly incredible how popular this so called "game" has become!!! it annoys me soo friggin much!! haha i honestly don't see the point in this "game" is what so ever!!! like SERIOUSLY!!

#13 Posted by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

@jetsetwillie said:

just when everyone has kinda stopped caring about it

Yeah, isn't Minecraft kinda over now?

#14 Posted by smiddy (365 posts) -

I await the inevitable 5 hour long Quick Look.

#15 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (513 posts) -

Wait so this "game" is actually a "game" now? I kind of find it funny that they actually want people to review this game as if it actually is a "game."

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Does anybody else want to see Alex try to review Minecraft? You know you want to.

#17 Posted by ManiacMaysin (375 posts) -

No! Don't do it, Alex!

#18 Posted by Liv (43 posts) -

Let someone who hasn't touched the game play for an hour, then review. No more (no less). Fair.

#19 Posted by Sword5 (150 posts) -

I wonder if this thing actually being a product will kill its bizarre fan base? Well, at least we know Kinect will kill it at some point.

#20 Posted by Jumbs (272 posts) -

Anyone who doesn't think this is a "game" is a "moron" and should go back to "playing" "call of duty". Minecraft showed that indie games are important and are better than most AAA blockbusters.

#21 Posted by mbr2 (570 posts) -

I wonder if Jeff and Ryan still don't think Minecraft is a game. Those two fellas can be wierd sometimes.

#22 Posted by ThezeeZ (10 posts) -

Doesn't that also mean we'll have to pay for the game again?

#23 Posted by Seroth (726 posts) -

Of course Minecraft should be reviewed. It's changed a lot since Minecraft mania swept up the Internet. I pretty much stopped playing before 1.8, and I'm sure there's still tons of new crap in there that I don't even know about that might rope me back in.

There are still people questioning whether Minecraft is a "game" or not, so now that the game's out, a review could actually answer that question.

#24 Posted by mosespippy (4432 posts) -

So, it's finally a game and it's out this year. GOTY?

#25 Posted by probablytuna (3822 posts) -

I actually forgot about Minecraft being "officially" released this month. Was busy thinking about Skyrim, Assassin's Creed: Revelations and all the other big titles in November.

#26 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

@Babylonian said:

My two youngest brothers are huge Minecraft fanatics, and one of them told me the other day that, yes, Virginia, there is an ending to Minecraft now.

Weeeeeird.

Yeah, it's a fight with a dragon. The end credits are the best part of the fight. It's a very weird poem from Notch telling the player to basically stop playing and go outside.

#27 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

Minecraft doesn't strike me as being something that a "normal" game review can fairly cover. For one, the game still has no tutorials, help screens, or even any direction with regards to what you can do. The game does now have an end boss and an ending, and getting there is a pretty involved process, but the game tells you none of that. It almost feels built for people who want to be obsessive, or at least very invested in the game they're playing. How do you build a Nether Portal? Where do you find Cocoa Beans? You'd have to consult the Minecraft Wiki. And some people, like me, are more than fine with that. While other people might be critical of the game for not giving them any direction.

#28 Posted by Spekingur (161 posts) -

@ICryCauseImEmo said:

Wait so this "game" is actually a "game" now? I kind of find it funny that they actually want people to review this game as if it actually is a "game."

Mojang wants people to review Minecraft? Since when have they put forth that requirement with the release?

#29 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

@ThezeeZ said:

Wasn't the deal you'd recieved the full game if you supported it when it was still in development?

#30 Posted by Nights (619 posts) -

@Nottle said:

@ThezeeZ said:

Wasn't the deal you'd recieved the full game if you supported it when it was still in development?

Yup.

#31 Posted by Jonnyflash80 (503 posts) -

@ThezeeZ said:

No. If you bought Minecraft when it was in Alpha or Beta stages of development then you already paid for the full retail version. It was basically like pre-ordering but you got to play the game while it was still in development.

#32 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12101 posts) -

I hope Alex isn't the one reviewing Breaking Dawn this weekend, or he may actually follow through on that ceiling fan thing.

#33 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Beta evolved into...! 

Doesn't everyone already own this game? Wouldn't suspect it breaking any sale records. 

#34 Posted by freakin9 (1171 posts) -

Funny, it feels like now is the time where the fad should start dying down.

#35 Posted by RetroVirus (1491 posts) -

I really like Minecraft, this is good news.

#36 Posted by Getz (3154 posts) -

@drumpsycho89 said:

i find it utterly incredible how popular this so called "game" has become!!! it annoys me soo friggin much!! haha i honestly don't see the point in this "game" is what so ever!!! like SERIOUSLY!!

Like Oh Em Gee, seriously, like I find it utterly incredible you wrote this "thought" down!!! it annoys me sooo friggin much!!! haha i honestly don't see the point.

#37 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

My pre-purchase beta better give me the full game...

#38 Posted by MrOldboy (870 posts) -

All this really means is that a Minecrat QL shall be demanded.

But, really, does this even matter? If you're not already into minecraft, why the hell would you care about this?

#39 Posted by James_ex_machina (899 posts) -

I really enjoy Minecraft in spells. I'll play for hours just mining. I won't play for weeks then I'll start it up and explore the world and block recipes. If there was a real quest I probably would stick with it daily.

#40 Posted by Pop (2650 posts) -

When did Alex hang himself from a fan? cause he said again, oh thanks for the link I forgot to check twitter :D.

#41 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

For minecraft to be reviewed it needs to be a game first Heyo!

#42 Posted by Arker101 (1472 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Does anybody else want to see Alex try to review Minecraft? You know you want to.

Of course. I want everybody to review to it.

Also, this technically means Minecraft is being released for reals, and is therefore eligible for GotY deliberations.

#43 Posted by Forum_User (310 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

So, it's finally a game and it's out this year. GOTY?

TOTY, maybe, but no, not GOTY.

#44 Posted by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

Yayy! I can't find the "thousands upon thousands" quote from John Cleese(?), but I'm pretty sure Alex meant millions upon millions. ;D
I appreciate the meta-quandary of being able to review such a well known product, but people write excellent reviews for retro games all the time. The perspective of a product in any given window of time is unique.

#45 Posted by falling_fast (2277 posts) -

the Age of What Now? is that some joke I don't get, or a typo?

also, I plan to buy Minecraft eventually.

#46 Posted by Winternet (8051 posts) -

Noooo, Alex don't. Who will review Big Rigs 2 if you're not around?

#47 Posted by Chet_Rippo (238 posts) -

I feel like anyone who was going to buy this game already has. It probably made more in beta than it will now.

#48 Posted by Forum_User (310 posts) -

@Brackynews said:

Yayy! I can't find the "thousands upon thousands" quote from John Cleese(?), but I'm pretty sure Alex meant millions upon millions. ;D I appreciate the meta-quandary of being able to review such a well known product, but people write excellent reviews for retro games all the time. The perspective of a product in any given window of time is unique.

Are you privy to some data that indicates that virtually everyone who bought Minecraft went on to use it for dozens of hours?

#49 Posted by chickdigger802 (502 posts) -

meh. new york ceiling fans... not sure what you can hang off of those.

#50 Posted by Forum_User (310 posts) -

@Winternet said:

Noooo, Alex don't. Who will review Big Rigs 2 if you're not around?

We don't need a review, because at the end of the day, every game is winner.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.