Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Minecraft worth owning?

Avatar image for brandoncooper17
    brandoncooper17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By brandoncooper17

I been thinking of buying it i can really tell how ill like it since free verison sucks you can only build not survial type thing its just blocks.

Is it worth it 20$?

Due to me using Canadian dollars mine craft would cost more.

20.00 CAD=14.9744 EUR
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Aus_azn

You should have bought it in Alpha, where it was roughly $15 on a 1:1 CAD/USD ratio, and got every update and expansion while you were at it.

You should buy it, it's only going to go up in the future.

Avatar image for brandoncooper17
    brandoncooper17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By brandoncooper17
    @Aus_azn said:

" You should have bought it in Alpha, where it was roughly $15 on a 1:1 CAD/USD ratio, and got every update and expansion while you were at it.  You should buy it, it's only going to go up in the future. "

Im not sure you can buy in usd it says  EUR
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aus_azn
    @brandoncooper17 said:
    " @Aus_azn said:

" You should have bought it in Alpha, where it was roughly $15 on a 1:1 CAD/USD ratio, and got every update and expansion while you were at it.  You should buy it, it's only going to go up in the future. "

Im not sure you can buy in usd it says  EUR "
    It's a comparison figure for reference. I know it's going to EUR, my credit card company called me for a fraud check.
    sorawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By sorawesome

from someone who's never played before, but has seen my really geeky /b/tard friends playing it, what can you say?

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Skald

Definitely worth $20.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

It will change your life. 

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iDarktread
    @Mikemcn said:
    " It will change your life.  "
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By onarum

Well, it will run thin after a week or so, it's neat but there's not much to it at all, unless you're into building useless stuff just for the heck of it; As Ryan says, there's no game in there, it's a neat little toy but that's about it.

That said, it's possible it can become a game, and a good one at some point, but the way it feels right now is that the dev just lost the hots for it, mod makers made more content in 2 or 3 months than the dev made in almost half a year, the updates are far apart and with VERY little to no new content to them, but it is just like 18 bucks now so... it will definitely entertain you for a while, until you realize exploring is pointless, there's no objective and surviving in it is as hard as digging a hole in the ground.

But as I said, it's possible that the dev will get a new surge of inspiration and at some point in the future it turns into an actual game that's worth playing, so buying now would save you some money I guess.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By PhatSeeJay

You have not truly lived until you've started thinking with blocks.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By meteora
    @iDarktread said:
    " @Mikemcn said:
    " It will change your life.  "
    "
    Truer words have never been said.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pinworm45

It's worth it.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By jorbear

Do you ever plan on starting a family? 

l3illyl3ob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By l3illyl3ob

I don't know if I agree with the sentiment that there's no game to it.  I thought so at first, but then I started playing it, and it's actually quite exciting and challenging (for a new player).  Cave exploration is a big part of the game and is dangerous and very fun, I think.  All you see videos of are impressive structures people make after cheating for all the material (or creating them in external programs), and all you hear people talk about are their creations, but that's only half or less of the experience.  The "game" part of it is surviving, then exploring caves, finding the best materials, building a gateway to hell, etc..  Sure, it could go on for longer before you have all the best stuff, and I wouldn't be opposed to more goal-oriented game modes, but I think there's plenty challenge and actual "game" to be had already.

It's very fun and well worth the money, I think.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

They have been talking about eventually adding a campaign to it..  I think simply having goals you have to achieve would really help give the game some direction and keep people hooked.  As it is, it's a great sandbox to mess around with but I think most will get bored after a few weeks..  Which isn't really a bad thing, it's got a lot more lasting appeal than most full retail games and it's something you will keep going back for. 

It's harder to recommend now that you've missed the Alpha though, as you'll have to buy each new version as they're released (which won't be for quite a while though).  But if it's something you think you'll have fun with, you probably will enjoy it a lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.