Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

PC Gamer Halloween update preview

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#1  Edited By LordAndrew
    Oh God. As if Minecraft wasn’t terrifying enough, its creator Notch has just sent us screens and info about a new monster type he’s adding in the Minecraft Halloween Update on October 31st. The Ghasts are flying cuboid jellyfish that shoot fireballs at you, blowing chunks out of the world around you and setting it on fire. Luckily, they’re only found in hell. And Notch has told us exactly how to get there, why you’d want to go, and how portals to this new dimension are built. Here are the details, along with two exclusive shots.
    Read the article

Travel in Hell will take you 16 times the distance that travel on Earth will. You'll need to obsidian to create portals enter or exit Hell. Oh, and it's really dangerous down there.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By mracoon

So it's Doom now?

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Sin4profit

blah, i'm not a fan of the portal idea...it think finding hell should be a reward for those who can dig down far enough.

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Crocio
    @Sin4profit said:
    " blah, i'm not a fan of the portal idea...it think finding hell should be a reward for those who can dig down far enough. "
    But there's not too far to dig down. :-)
    Anyway, the portal idea serves more than just hell, it would greatly help in elaborate transportation systems. I completely support that idea.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BraveToaster
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LordAndrew
    @mracoon said:
    " So it's Doom now? "
    Craft a BFG to get through Hell easier. ;)
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By meteora

Well, this won't be too much of an issue on SMP. We should be able to overcome the odds with sheer manpower alone and develop a city down there. <_<

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Meteora: Ooh, I like that idea!
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sin4profit
    @Crocio said:
    " @Sin4profit said:
    " blah, i'm not a fan of the portal idea...it think finding hell should be a reward for those who can dig down far enough. "
    But there's not too far to dig down. :-) Anyway, the portal idea serves more than just hell, it would greatly help in elaborate transportation systems. I completely support that idea. "
    Yeah, but that's another thing that bothered me, once i hit bedrock it felt like there wasn't anything more to explore..i was half hopeful that i had to get TNT to break up the bed rock to explore even deeper which would further encouraging crafting in favor of exploring. To me that's where you should find the hell world, as a reward for exploration.

Portals just seem like a lazy method of dealing with the transportation system to me. We'll see how it goes on Halloween i guess.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Capum15
    @Meteora said:
    " Well, this won't be too much of an issue on SMP. We should be able to overcome the odds with sheer manpower alone and develop a city down there. <_< "
    Reminds me of Zapp Brannigan with the Killbots.

I like that plan.

Anyway, looks awesome and I can't wait until Halloween. I know what I'll be doing then.
    Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Crocio
    @Sin4profit said:
    " Yeah, but that's another thing that bothered me, once i hit bedrock it felt like there wasn't anything more to explore..i was half hopeful that i had to get TNT to break up the bed rock to explore even deeper which would further encouraging crafting in favor of exploring. To me that's where you should find the hell world, as a reward for exploration. Portals just seem like a lazy method of dealing with the transportation system to me. We'll see how it goes on Halloween i guess. "
    But it will still necessarily end at hell's floor anyway.
    This is just a solution to both transportation and hell, but what would you suggest as a better transportation system?
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By meteora
    @Crocio: Fixing the minecarts would be nice.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By onarum

I love the hell idea, fantastic way to travel great distances, also hard to get there since you`ll need a diamond pick to mine obsidian.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sin4profit
    @Crocio said:

" @Sin4profit said:

" Yeah, but that's another thing that bothered me, once i hit bedrock it felt like there wasn't anything more to explore..i was half hopeful that i had to get TNT to break up the bed rock to explore even deeper which would further encouraging crafting in favor of exploring. To me that's where you should find the hell world, as a reward for exploration. Portals just seem like a lazy method of dealing with the transportation system to me. We'll see how it goes on Halloween i guess. "
    But it will still necessarily end at hell's floor anyway. This is just a solution to both transportation and hell, but what would you suggest as a better transportation system? "
    It would be fine if it ended at hells floor..at least ya have a more satisfying story to tell once ya resurface rather then, "i digged till i can no dig no more". making it progressivly more difficult and requiring more crafted items to dig deeper and deeper would have made the exploration aspect more interesting i thought...finding hell at the end of it would have been a pretty satisfying reward.

As far as transportation;  planes, (trains they already have covered), and automobiles. 
    What i like about Minecraft is that it feels like your pioneering a civilization from scratch. So when you throw in Portals in this primitive world it just seems out of place and unrewarding to me. Maybe portals would fit at the end of the transportation "tech tree" but to start there just makes all other forms of transportation unnecessary which eliminates the sense of progression.

[edit] after reading the full article my opinions of the portals are a little better knowing you have to travel through highly dangerous territory to get the job done. Maybe simpler modes of transportation will just be safer modes, that doesn't sounds so bad.
    Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crocio
    @Meteora said:

" @Crocio: Fixing the minecarts would be nice. "

That still does not mitigate the issue of long distance travel; it is too infeasible on that grand a scale and too slow.
    These minecraft levels are essentially infinite in space.

@Sin4profit

said:

" @Crocio said:
    It would be fine if it ended at hells floor..at least ya have a more satisfying story to tell once ya resurface rather then, "i digged till i can no dig no more". making it progressivly more difficult and requiring more crafted items to dig deeper and deeper would have made the exploration aspect more interesting i thought...finding hell at the end of it would have been a pretty satisfying reward.  As far as transportation;  planes, (trains they already have covered), and automobiles.  What i like about Minecraft is that it feels like your pioneering a civilization from scratch. So when you throw in Portals in this primitive world it just seems out of place and unrewarding to me. Maybe portals would fit at the end of the transportation "tech tree" but to start there just makes all other forms of transportation unnecessary which eliminates the sense of progression. "

Yes, but minecaft has so many fictional elements as well, e.g. skeletons and zombies.
    It seems that you view portals as science fictional techniques from games such as portal, whereas I see it as more classically fictional(i.e. Ultima).
    Portals are a normal part of  the fiction genre.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By meteora
    @Crocio: My point exactly. There's no other way to travel other than either minecart (once fixed), the hell portals or using a warp module for SMP. I suppose Notch could add aerial vehicles at some point.
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sin4profit
    @Crocio:  After reading the full article i came around on portals a little bit. if that territory's dangerous enough then at least it wont negate more traditional transportation as that will serve as a safer means of travel.
    It wasn't the fiction as much as the function i was more worried about. and until we have rare blockes you can only find on certain biomes, travel in any form is pretty pointless in Minecraft.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Azteck

Guess I'm buying Minecraft before the update then!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Diamond

I love how he's adding so many gameplay elements to the game, not just tools for creativity.  This will bring me back into the game (in fact I've placed about 100 torches just so they can become lanterns in prep).

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By meteora
    @Diamond said:
    " I love how he's adding so many gameplay elements to the game, not just tools for creativity.  This will bring me back into the game (in fact I've placed about 100 torches just so they can become lanterns in prep). "
    Torches will be converted regardless of location. That means, it will be converted to lanterns if they are placed anywhere in the world, or kept in your inventory or chests. 

Better start that torch farm though.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Diamond
    @Meteora said:
    " @Diamond said:
    " I love how he's adding so many gameplay elements to the game, not just tools for creativity.  This will bring me back into the game (in fact I've placed about 100 torches just so they can become lanterns in prep). "
    Torches will be converted regardless of location. That means, it will be converted to lanterns if they are placed anywhere in the world, or kept in your inventory or chests.  Better start that torch farm though. "
    OK I wasn't sure about that, thought I'd better place a bunch.

Hopefully lanterns aren't too much harder to make.  I intend to start a new game to experience the new systems fresh too.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By meteora
    @Diamond: Apparently you need to go into hell to grab some blocks for crafting lanterns; so I've heard. I don't think this is confirmed, but there's speculation that it would be the case.
    Valco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Valco
    @Meteora said:
    " @Diamond said:
    Torches will be converted regardless of location. That means, it will be converted to lanterns if they are placed anywhere in the world, or kept in your inventory or chests.  Better start that torch farm though. "

I've started doing the same, the plan is to fill a double chest with torches
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@Meteora said:

" @Diamond: Apparently you need to go into hell to grab some blocks for crafting lanterns; so I've heard. I don't think this is confirmed, but there's speculation that it would be the case. "

Awesome, Then you can tell people you went to hell and brought back a lantern.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Axxol: 
    Are they....crying?
    Who knew pixelblockfishghosts could be so creepy!
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By BraveToaster
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " @Axxol:  Are they....crying? Who knew pixelblockfishghosts could be so creepy! "
    They do look like they're crying cubed jellyfish
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By mikemcn

Ghasts are going to scare the hell out of me. I already can't handle running into the damn skeletons in the dark.

And the sound effects...... Oh god. I swear I have PTSD from the times Notch's "ambient" sounds have played at random.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Capum15
    @rawdanger said:
    " I just started playing this about a week or so ago, so I haven't really explored my world yet. But having portals through hell will be pretty helpful. I wonder if you can make tunnels from portal to portal to avoid the ghasts? Those things are positively terrifying. "
    You probably can. Though, making the tunnels before you're toasted is another matter entirely.
    BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BionicMonster
    @Capum15 said:
    " @Meteora said:
    " Well, this won't be too much of an issue on SMP. We should be able to overcome the odds with sheer manpower alone and develop a city down there. <_< "
    Reminds me of Zapp Brannigan with the Killbots.I like that plan.Anyway, looks awesome and I can't wait until Halloween. I know what I'll be doing then. "
    "Stop dying,you cowards!!!"
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Capum15
    @BionicMonster said:

" @Capum15 said:

" @Meteora said:
    Reminds me of Zapp Brannigan with the Killbots.I like that plan.Anyway, looks awesome and I can't wait until Halloween. I know what I'll be doing then. "
    "Stop dying,you cowards!!!" "
    "Whatever it is, I'm willing to send wave after wave of my own men to aid you. Isn't that right, men?"
    'You suck!'

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.