Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

I don't understand the "OMFG MW2 is so unbalanced!!!" whining

• 150 results
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kenya24

I’ve noticed on the internet a lot of people claiming that the game is unbalanced, and basically crying about it. I don’t understand this argument at all.

Quite frankly, very very very good weapons are available to everyone very early in multiplayer. If I recall correctly, by the time you’ve unlocked “create a class”, you have access to the M4, UMP, RPD, intervention or barrett (I forget which). You get the SCAR a few levels later. You can create a knifing class right away. So the game isn’t unbalanced because only the high level players get good weapons/perks/attachments.

The levels are fair. Sure there’s some choke points and slight advantages to starting on one side or the other, but what faction you play for is random… so that doesn’t make sense.

The game doesn't favor campers as there are very easy ways to counter them. Noobtubes may end your killstreak, but those players are ripping up the leaderboards... 

I just don't see the "unbalanced" argument.
    Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Lowbrow

Change the word "unbalanced" to "broken" as a result of hackers and you have your answer.

Obviously not every game you'll jump into will be ths way, but when you do get into a game like that, its a clusterfuck.

Unbalanced is just a poor word choice.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By theguy

ive seen level 3s matched up with lv 70 prestiges.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Pessh
    @kenya24 said:

''Quite frankly, very very very good weapons are available to everyone very early in multiplayer. If I recall correctly, by the time you’ve unlocked “create a class”, you have access to the M4, UMP, RPD, intervention or barrett (I forget which). You get the SCAR a few levels later. You can create a knifing class right away. So the game isn’t unbalanced because only the high level players get good weapons/perks/attachments.

The levels are fair. Sure there’s some choke points and slight advantages to starting on one side or the other, but what faction you play for is random… so that doesn’t make sense. "

Not what I think people mean by unbalanced in this context. Unbalanced is over powered stuff and/or shiz with little to no counters. 

Also, what is the point in whining about whining.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kenya24
    @Pessh said:
     Also, what is the point in whining about whining. "
    I don't know? Whine louder I guess. I really don't understand how anyone can think it's unbalanced.
    JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

Well, TBH, people running around with dual shotguns does get annoying, and so are thermal snipers.
    Besides those 2 the game is balanced enough though imo.

kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kenya24
    @theguy said:
    " ive seen level 3s matched up with lv 70 prestiges. "
    Yeah but the levels and the prestige is more a function of time spent playing than actual ability. And the teams are usually completely mixed up, so similar skill levels are balanced across the two teams (generally).
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kenya24
    @Jiujitsuka said:
    " Well, TBH, people running around with dual shotguns does get annoying, and so are thermal snipers. Besides those 2 the game is balanced enough though imo. "
    You just listed two class types that easily counter each other and themselves...
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By rjaylee

I don't think most complaints are about it being unbalanced... or at least not the important complaints. 

I think it is more about the game maybe not being played as intended or as originally conceived, or that it seems 'broken' in terms of what appears to be oversight by the testers or developers in the way gamers will play the game.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kenya24
    @heatDrive88: Can you elaborate? Aside from glitches and hacks, how is it being played in a different way than it was conceived? Also you have a sweet avatar.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @kenya24: The game is unblacnded because every gun in the game is way to accurate and you die in 3 bullets, it is never aobut who can aim better its who can pull the trigger and aim kinda in the right direction.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kenya24
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @kenya24: The game is unblacnded because every gun in the game is way to accurate and you die in 3 bullets, it is never aobut who can aim better its who can pull the trigger and aim kinda in the right direction. "
    I pray that was sarcasm.
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rjaylee
    @kenya24:
    The two big ones are likely to be grenade launchers with One Man Army+Danger Close, and care package grenade knife running. You could probably make a case that these are glitches, but I don't know if that holds true. 
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @kenya24 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @kenya24: The game is unblacnded because every gun in the game is way to accurate and you die in 3 bullets, it is never aobut who can aim better its who can pull the trigger and aim kinda in the right direction. "
    I pray that was sarcasm. "
    No it wasnt if your little COD brain can't wrap your head around why thats a bad thing then I can't help you.
    bozosc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bozosc

my biggest problem is when a guy goes down on the ground and i am still shooting him why doesn't it hit him if a guy goes down on the ground due to the animation it seems they can take a few more shots and that sucks same goes for last stand why should they be able to take so many more shoots then everyone else and lets not for get the double shotguns not the guns themselves but they should reload a lot slower and not be able to use knifes or grenades because both of there hands are holding shotguns

kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kenya24
    @heatDrive88: Well the care package issue was absolutely a glitch, and has been patched. The noob tubes and OMA and danger close... an over-powered class yes with perks not available right away. Personally I haven't run into it yet, even though I've heard about it. 

The thing about noobtubers is they're really easy to kill when they're reloading, or from a distance. I don't think that guys that noobtube really end up with significant K/D ratios or anything.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kenya24
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @kenya24 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    No it wasnt if your little COD brain can't wrap your head around why thats a bad thing then I can't help you. "
    Whether it's bad or good is not what I'm talking about. It's not unbalanced because as you said "...every gun in the game...".
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By emkeighcameron

People like whining because A) shit is broken and B) people suck at the game anyway

Only 5 more days until BFBC2 comes out and delivers us from the damnation of MW2

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Binman88

Not necessarily weapon balancing was an issue for me, rather the balance of the maps and the play styles that best suited them. I found the game favoured snipers too much, and was also way too lenient with it's hit boxes, allowing me to get shot by bullets that ought to have missed me. Games that force you to actually hit your target are miles better in my opinion, but of course they don't attract fifteen million sheep to baa at each other online.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @kenya24 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @kenya24 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    No it wasnt if your little COD brain can't wrap your head around why thats a bad thing then I can't help you. "
    Whether it's bad or good is not what I'm talking about. It's not unbalanced because as you said "...every gun in the game...". "
    lol cod
    wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By wh1terav3n
    @kenya24: its not the levels. its the danged noob tubes + scavenger + danger close.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kenya24
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @kenya24 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @kenya24 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    Whether it's bad or good is not what I'm talking about. It's not unbalanced because as you said "...every gun in the game...". "
    lol cod "
    ok...
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @kenya24 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @kenya24 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    lol cod "
    lo sf4

That shit goes both ways son.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kenya24
    @Binman88 said:
    " Not necessarily weapon balancing was an issue for me, rather the balance of the maps and the play styles that best suited them. I found the game favoured snipers too much, and was also way too lenient with it's hit boxes, allowing me to get shot by bullets that ought to have missed me. Games that force you to actually hit your target are miles better in my opinion, but of course they don't attract fifteen million sheep to baa at each other online. "
    I'm not a sniper by any means... I find when I'm getting sniped I just switch to a stealth class and then I gain the upper hand on them. I feel this is a fair balance since I lack the ability to actually snipe. There are certainly maps however that are not conducive to sniping at all.

Getting killed by bullets that should miss is the nature of playing the internet, as far as I know.
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rjaylee
    @kenya24:
    I run into the OWA thing quite often. Mind you OWA resupplies all explosives, not just grenade launchers. To be quite honest I haven't played in a long time, so I didn't know about the care package thing being patched.

In my honest opinion, I think the game being 'unbalanced' and being played differently than originally conceived is when you start to look at the unequal usage of shooting bullets vs. constant throwing/shooting explosives + knife running + any other unorthadox gameplay unfitting of a military shooter (and no, I don't believe camping falls under this category). Of course I could be completely wrong and this is exactly how they expected gamers to play. In that case we're not talking about the game being 'broken' or 'unbalanced', as we'd simply measure the game by a completely different scale.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kenya24
    @heatDrive88: Playing the game as intended is pretty much a matter of opinion in most cases. Some of the best games are the ones that had unintended consequences (thinking rocketing jumping in quake).

What military shooter do you feel has better balance (I ask not to confront, but because I'm interested)?
    voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By voodooterror
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @kenya24 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @kenya24 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    lol cod "
    lol how dare they make it so every gun is powerfull, why wouldnt they make so that only half the guns killed in 3 bullets and the rest 3 million, then it would be fair!! 

btw kenya24, as you are retarded i feel the need to point out that i was being sarcastic =]....no need to thank me
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kenya24
    @VoodooTerror: Yeah, because there's no sarcasm or complete morons on the internet... I was giving him the benefit of not being a moron.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By wefwefasdf

How about being able to to use One Many Army over and over again for infinite grenade launcher ammo? I use it sometimes and it is completely messed up.

kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kenya24
    @SpikeSpiegel: Isn't there like a 6 second delay between switch classes though?
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @kenya24 said:
    " @SpikeSpiegel: Isn't there like a 6 second delay between switch classes though? "
    Once you get the pro version it is like 3 seconds or something... but, if you just drop a claymore and hide in a corner you'll be completely fine. If you google it you'll find a crazy video about it.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By TheHBK
    @Jeffsekai said:
    That doesn't constitute being unbalanced, since if this were true, everyone would be able to do it, no one has an advantage. So maybe people don't like the way the game plays and thats ok.  Not everyone has to love every shooter out there.

The game is fine except for hackers and exploiters.  Thats not really the fault of the game, its more the kind of negative things that come with a game being so popular.  Anyone playing Counter-strike can back me up on this.  Hacking and exploiting will happen when you let douchebags buy the game.  I doubt Battlefield will be a pure gold shooter that has no problems.
    Also games with a level 3 and a level 70 are not unbalanced.  The 70 has more options but the stuff the level 3 has are just as good if you know how to use them.  Everything except the perks and killstreaks.  But its not like you ever have a 1 on 1 between those 2 anyway.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kenya24
    @SpikeSpiegel: Again though, it is a strategy that anyone can employ.

Seems like the most effective way to play an online shooter is to play an uncommon or unused style. For example: one quality sniper will completely dominate a game full of knife runners attempting to stab each other. If everyone's using thermal, then you need a cold blooded class. If everyone is going stealth, maybe an RPD with stopping power is the way to go.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kenya24
    @TheHBK:  And if you select your killstreaks the way you like them, you can be pretty well setup quite early. I for onc unlock harrier and pavelow first and that's basically all I use for the rest of that prestige level.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Binman88
    @kenya24 said:
    "Getting killed by bullets that should miss is the nature of playing the internet, as far as I know. "
    Not really. For example, Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield's multiplayer wasn't like that at all, and that game came out 6 years before MW2. In Raven Shield, if your reticule wasn't absolutely pointed to a part of a player's body, your bullet would not hit. In MW2 you can shoot around your target and still have a huge chance of killing them, sometimes even if they run around a corner. If I can duck behind a wall, or put any obstacle between me and the enemy, and still get shot by their bullets essentially bending around corners, then something is wrong. For some people this doesn't bother them, I just prefer first person shooters to reward timing and accuracy.
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rjaylee
    @kenya24 said:
    "@heatDrive88: Playing the game as intended is pretty much a matter of opinion in most cases. Some of the best games are the ones that had unintended consequences (thinking rocketing jumping in quake).  What military shooter do you feel has better balance (I ask not to confront, but because I'm interested)? "

That's why I said "in my opinion", because I knew it would vary per person and depend on how people like to play their games. I also personally think certain games are fun when they have unintended consequences, but I'm not 100% sold on MW2's style and motif to be one of those kind of games, mostly because the game itself as a shooter is very solid and quite good underneath the bugs/glitches, the grenade resupply/spamming, and knife running.  

I don't think I can really opinionate if shooter has 'better balance' that MW2, because that's not really something that you can equally compare - it would be like comparing apples and oranges.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kenya24
    @Binman88: I didn't play the raven shield version, but now that you mention it, I do remember playing Rainbow Six 3 online, and it was like that. It used ELO for ranking too right? I'm thinking of the right game?
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kenya24
    @heatDrive88 said:
    That's why I said "in my opinion", because I knew it would vary per person and depend on how people like to play their games.
    Yes, and I agree with you.

So then what military shooter do you like more?
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Phished0ne

This game isnt really unbalanced in the traditional sense of the word, its a bad word choice.  The  part that stopped making this game fun for me are the exploits, the 20 millionth time i got knifed in the back with no warning i was ready to send MW2 back to Gamefly.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Muttinus_Rump said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @kenya24 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @kenya24 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    lol cod "
    lo sf4  That shit goes both ways son. "
    Seriously, what the hell kind of argument is he trying to make?  This game sucks because it plays like Call of Duty and he's bad at that?  I'm not usually one to argue on forums, but come on... 

I'm not trying to say MW is completely fine, it's got tons of issues, but complaining that the guns are accurate and you die in 3 shots is like someone who sucks at Street Fighter saying it sucks because they think medium kicks are too powerful. 

Anyways, on topic:  I don't find the game is unbalanced gun-wise.  The only thing that seems unbalanced to me is when someone uses scavenger pro, danger close pro, a grenade launcher, and an RPG and just sit there blowing people the fuck up.  If they ever get all the glitches cleaned out of the game, it will be a lot more fun.

@Binman88 said:
    " @kenya24 said:
    "Getting killed by bullets that should miss is the nature of playing the internet, as far as I know. "
    Not really. For example, Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield's multiplayer wasn't like that at all, and that game came out 6 years before MW2. In Raven Shield, if your reticule wasn't absolutely pointed to a part of a player's body, your bullet would not hit. In MW2 you can shoot around your target and still have a huge chance of killing them, sometimes even if they run around a corner. If I can duck behind a wall, or put any obstacle between me and the enemy, and still get shot by their bullets essentially bending around corners, then something is wrong. For some people this doesn't bother them, I just prefer first person shooters to reward timing and accuracy. "

This is also something that makes me mad, I can't stand when I see a guy start shooting at me and the second I hear the shot I move around cover, but he keeps shooting and two or three shots hit me from behind cover.  But I guess it's fair since it goes both ways, not like it's an exploit or something.
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fosssil

Honestly, there are too many imbalances in MW2 for me to concisely outline without writing a small novel, which I don't feel like doing. I will take the time, though, to discuss what I consider to be the game's single biggest imbalance: slippery slope. "Slippery slope" is an element of game design whereby a player is punished for losing, twice. A player is not only punished for losing by falling behind on the scoreboard, but they are also handicapped by the game as a second punishment for losing. 

In MW2, this second disadvantage actually comes in the form of an advantage for the opposing player. If Player A dies a few times in a row at the hands of Player B, then he's already dug himself a hole on the scoreboard and will have to work much harder to comeback and win the game. The problem in MW2 is that Player B is not only given an advantage on the scoreboard, but also given an in-game advantage that is unavailable to Player A; namely, a killstreak reward. Player B is winning the game, and because he is winning the game, he is rewarded with new tools with which to increase his lead. Player A by comparison, is now sliding down that slippery slope and falling farther and farther behind on the scoreboard, largely because of his inability to counter Player B's advantages.

This problem is made worse by the fact that IW decided to expand that slippery slope mechanic to the leveling/progression aspect of the online mode. Every player who isn't a level 70 is handicapped in some way by not having access to all of the perks/weapons/equipment available in the game. "Pro" versions of perks, that gift players with important extra abilities as a reward for consistent use, contribute further to this problem. Basically, my biggest gripe with the balance of the game is the presence of slippery slope. Such a mechanic works fine in an RTS game like Starcraft, but it has no place in a first-person shooter. 

I think the main reason that so many people whine and complain about MW2 being "unbalanced" actually has nothing to do with balance, but rather the skill gap. The game has such an unbelievably narrow skill gap that players of any ability level can jump into a game and be effective, which means that players might lose even if they're playing well. Infinity Ward has made an incredibly easy game that anyone can pick up and play, but not one that has any kind of depth or learning curve underneath the surface. People complain about MW2 because the easiest aspects of gameplay are just as effective, or more effective, than some of the more challenging aspects of the gameplay.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fosssil: I agree with some of this, but there are ways to counter those killstreaks.  Most killstreaks other than an EMP, Predator Missile, Nuke, and Airstrikes are counter-able with a rocker launcher or with cold-blooded.  EMPs are fine.  Predator Missiles are only devastating if your entire team is standing in one location, same with Airstrikes, they are not very devastating either unless its the Stealth Bomber.  Nukes are fine, if someone is getting 25 kills without dying and playing without exploits, their team is probably going to win anyways.   There is also Deathstreaks now, so if someone can't kill a guy with painkillers or final stand on, he doesn't deserve to get a kill : /.

I would also argue that Pro Versions of perks are fine as well, none of them are very hard to get and do not give a huge advantage over others.

I do sort of agree that a big reason people complain is that the worst player in the world can come in a game and do alright with luck on his side.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JoelTGM

Most of the complaining I saw was for the dual-wielding stuff.  It bothered me too because it's so full of annoying camping to begin with, and when the camper can kill you instantly and there's no way to fight back, it certainly doesn't feel fair.  All in all though, the weapons and perks are balanced I'd say, but because you die instantly and maps are so full of camping spots, I don't play anymore.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @kenya24: If you enjoy it, don't worry about it :) 

If you ask "the internet" pretty much all the greatest games ever made suck.
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By rjaylee
    @kenya24:
    I personally enjoy the Battlefield series, but I think that is mostly because the game is more rewarding on a team level. To put that in perspective, I actually rarely play BF games by myself. Although to be fair, I played a lot of Battlefield 2 by myself when that first came out, but now I exclusively only play BF1943 when I have a few other friends online to party with. I also had really great past experiences with Rainbow 6 Raven Shield, but again, played almost exclusively with a circle of friends. 

I guess the last shooter I remember playing a lot more on the solo side of things aside from BF2 was Counter-Strike.
    theredcoat24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 22

#46  Edited By theredcoat24

Never really thought it was unbalnced though I think the higher level kill streak perks can get annoying for the recvieing end.
    voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By voodooterror
    @kenya24 said:
    " @VoodooTerror: Yeah, because there's no sarcasm or complete morons on the internet... I was giving him the benefit of not being a moron. "
    my bad, i was meant to direct that last bit to the other guy, many apologies
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kenya24
    @Fosssil: 

While I agree that in MW2 there’s a “slippery slope” effect, this is mainly due to players being unwilling to change what they are doing to match the environment they’re playing in. This is not a game imbalance by and large, just a lack of ability (or desire) to analyze and adapt. Should you hear that there’s an enemy AC-130 in the air, then get indoors. Every player regardless of skill or level can do this. When I have a pavelow, and it’s raping the other team, it’s because they just continued to run around outside with their shotguns.

In many ways, for games like TDM, the player that gets killed has the immediate advantage (albeit short term). They get to re-spawn AND they know when, where, and how they were killed. They at the very least have a body of information that for the most part cannot be obtained other than by dying.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By pause422

There is no question that the game is extremely unbalanced. It just comes down to if you are enjoying yourself playing it regardless of that, if you are, it doesn't make a difference obviously.

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ErgoProxy77
    @kenya24: I totally agree with you.  Need I say more?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.