Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

I don't understand the "OMFG MW2 is so unbalanced!!!" whining

• 150 results
    Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#101  Edited By Andheez
    @xobballox: 
    I agree completely, like I said earlier, it is rock paper scissors, which is why the game sucks.  Look at Team Fortress, THAT is how you balance a game.
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#102  Edited By Fosssil
    @kenya24 said:

" First, I'm really enjoying your take on the game.  I believe, in it's most basic state, gameplay IS forced adaptation. If you are not reacting to changing circumstances... then where's the game?  If you're in a building because they have killstreaks and a UAV in the air, then really the advantage is yours. There's now limited number of spots where they are going to come at you from. You ALREADY KNOW that they will either walk through the door and try to kill you, or they won't and they're killstreak will end and you will survive.  Aside from you knowing where you died regardless of the kill cam or not, IW did dumb down the game with the kill cam. But only a bit. What that does is force the player that killed you to get smarter. If you do exactly the same thing, in the same places all the time, you're not going to survive. It's a great anti-camping feature really. The game isn't over just because there's air support. Since it's so easy to get three kills, the losing team can change their fortune just as easily. Some of my most satisfying comebacks are a direct result of this. Heck, there can be opposing team's harrier in the skies at the same time.  It's really only a slippery slope if you let it. "

In hindsight, saying that forced adaptation = slippery slope was a bit of an error on my part. What I meant to say was this: an adaptation in one's gameplay to account for an opponent's given advantage is just as much of a punishment as being killed repeatedly by said advantage. Just because a player isn't dying as a result of a Pavelow or a AC-130 doesn't mean that they aren't at a disadvantage, and it doesn't mean that they are on equal-footing with their enemy. Player A is still being punished on the scoreboard even if Player B doesn't obtain a single kill from his reward, because the nature of the reward limits Player A's effectiveness and lessens his lethality. Said plainly, Player B might not be any closer to winning after his reward is expired, but Player A certainly hasn't made up any ground on Player B in that time.

Hiding inside does offer its advantages. The example you gave of being able to watch all entrances to the room you're occupying and being able to kill any approaching players is a sound one. However, your example is really only an advantage in Team Deathmatch, or in certain very rare scenarios during Objective games. If I'm playing an Objective match of almost any type (Dom, CTF, HQ, Sabo, and in some cases S&D), I'm really not gleaning any sort of benefit from being forced to remain in a static position. Further, if I happen to be caught in an area of the map away from the primary goal/objective item when the enemy earns their killstreak reward, then I'm made to take a chance by running out in the open while their reward is in effect in order to assist my team, or else ignore the objective entirely and simply try to remain alive.

I do see the other side of the coin on the killcam issue. There are plenty of times when I've been happy to have the feature, especially when dealing with some nearly invisible sniper in his ghillie suit or a shotgunner hiding around a corner. But, if a player isn't lying in tall grass with a sniper or staring down a short hallway with a shotgun, then they are essentially being penalized by having their exact location revealed. Aside from identifying where a camper has decided to set-up shop, it also reveals where a run and gun player might be heading next. If I'm watching a Killcam of someone who ran up to me from behind and stabbed me in the back, I can usually make a pretty educated guess as to where he is heading next. Then, on the respawn I can pre-nade the area of the map where he is likely to be, and if I guessed right I'll be rewarded with a quick kill. Typically a player would need to either be very aware of his surroundings and the overall map design in order to make a guess as to where he was shot from, or rely on communication from his teammates to isolate an area of the map that might contain the enemy. Instead, he can just watch a quick replay of how he just died, and then proceed to seek revenge on his opponent with no teamwork or communication whatsoever.

I should probably mention at this time that I hope my arguments here don't do anything to hamper yours or anyone else's enjoyment of the game. Just because I don't find the game to be well-balanced or competitive does not mean that I begrudge those who can play and truly enjoy it. Finally, I thank you for responding in such an intelligent and respectful way with all of your rebuttal arguments.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By crunchUK
    @kenya24 said:

" @crunchUK said:

But that relies on the who knows factor of me having cold blooded equipped though, you can't adapt since the way to adapt is reliant on inherent gameplay characteristics.   What your'e saying is that a piss easy yet dominate all setup can be countered by camping... possibly. That isn't balance, at all. "

Relies on having cold blooded equipped? Change your class to one that does. At some point you just shouldn't play the game at all because you're completely unwilling to do anything different and adjust. You are basically just a lemming at this point.  As I said before... there is no "piss easy yet dominate all setup. This thread is the proof. People are complaining about tons of different setups and aspects to the game, meaning there is no one dominate setup. Seriously, not everyone uses the SCAR. Not everyone uses stopping power. Not everyone uses chopper gunner. Not everyone camps, or runs around in the open non stop. Not everyone duals the 1887s. Not everyone duals the glocks. Not everyone knifes. "
    So what you're saying is that i need to die beforehand every time i neeed to adapt to a certain situation, and not only that but it's "balance" when camping is countered by camping. You need to stop being so defensive - it's a simplistic game, and i don't think it's me you're trying to dissuade here.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By kenya24
    @crunchUK:  I'm not saying camping specifically, though it's one of many options. And you don't have to die first, but you have to live with your decisions. Sometimes you're just going to die. Sometimes you're going to lose bad. Doesn't mean there's no balance.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By kenya24
    @Fosssil:  You are definately not hampering my enjoyment of the game. You are however greatly increasing my enjoyment of this thread.

In regards to your first paragraph: I agree. I do not believe killstreaks make the game imbalanced (especially since they're easy for either team to achieve). However the "slipper slope" idea holds true. Should the enemy gain a killstreak advantage, it's nearly always in the best interest of the other team to deal with it together, otherwise the slope gets worse.

To your second paragraph: I typically play TDM, so be default I have those goggles on. I have different feelings frequently when talking about objective based games since you know so much more about what could/should happen in the near future (where they could be going, where they're camping etc.) All the more reason to get your own killstreaks. They are after all equally available. 

On the third paragraph: Killcam overall I feel is a good addition. I've been shot from some insanely obscure and nearly invisible places. I can't even imagine how much harder the game would be for noobs without it. There would be almost no way to learn the map's tricks. As for knowing where a run and gun guy is going... that's part of the killer needing to become a smarter player. I frequently throw the grenade to where I think they're going. And when I'm doing the killing, I make an effort to just change directions so as not to become predictable.
    Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Icil

Balance, in my opinion:

Having diminishing returns on 'spammy' strategies. Especially ones that involve surprise or are obscurely creating advantage which the player doesn't know how to counter.
    Having a very minimal amount (or none) of misleading strategies. Not mind games, those are fine. 'Misleading' in that the players aren't correctly realizing what's going on even though they have a firm grasp of the game (care package glitch).
    Strategies which the players use are generally spread pretty evenly (although there's always a bell curve on the more well-rounded strategies/kits, that's normal).
    Having little or no strategies that dominate at no cost. One strategy dominates another whenever it yields better results in every case whatsoever (therefore the first strategy may as well not exist). For example, Tactical Knife > Knife in every way, but it has a cost (weapon attachment slot).

So what does COD have in these respects?
    It has diminishing returns in the form of killcams. Every kill you make while spamming a strategy becomes more difficult because people know where you are (at least locally). Killstreaks slow the diminish.
    Misleading strategies are rampant, unfortunately. This is mainly because of the internet, it's not really IW's fault. Client-side hit detection creates strategies where taking cover is dominated by peek and shooting and lag enables this. Unfortunately, it can't be fixed by a better game (to some degree), so the misleading strategies that are problematic come in the form of glitches.
    Even spread of strategies is really hard to gauge, but I think IW did okay here, I've seen every gun in battle except for a select few outliers, but personally I believe the Grenade-on-AR is a little much. Grenades and explosions are the most reliable increases of kill/deaths. People know this, and that's why everyone (I should say 'most' AR users) goes frags/launcher. The public isn't dumb when it comes to knowing what wins. If it's being used a lot more than other configs, then you -know- there is a balance problem. Popular usually begets imbalance.
    Dominating strategies COD has a few of, but they don't break the game. Blast shields are one example, client-side detections beget lots of this, also.

So COD4 is alright in the grand scheme from my view. One less grenade in the launcher would do wonders for the game's explosion fetish (so would making the B. Shield better). One man army should just be 'Press Y and you get your ammo back to full after this loading bar'; much simpler, less exploitable (in terms of runaway imbalance).

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#107  Edited By Pessh

Dude, IW won't give you a medal for fighting a losing battle. The game is unbalanced, lack of recoil on assault rifles is one example. Just chill and enjoy the game, surely people complaining doesn't detract from your enjoyment of the game. This thread is pointless and  inflammatory.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By raiz265

it's not balanced for lean. heh :E 

i think the game is just too "spammy" and therefore some kind of unbalanced... with grenade launchers, rocket launchers, normal grenades, stun grenades and dozens of pretty cheap killstreak rewards (partly from cargopackages)  that are utterly annoying and just hamper the flow of the game 
    combined with the fact that there is now way to setup servers with own rulesets and weaponbans it just makes it a rather crappy MP game imho 

probably has been said a couple of times but i'm too lazy to read the whole thread

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By DRE7777

The game isn't unbalanced like a fighting game is unbalanced (which is what kenya24 is saying), its unbalanced as in "there is so much stupid shit in the game that they just threw in there without even testing out the cheep stupid shittyness of some of the perks and attachments". Also, another thing about mw2 that sucks is the level design. Some of the spawn points, especially in search and destroy, give one team a gigantic advantage. Also explain this, they took out two claymores because stupid people were complaining about snipers in the last game, but then in this game they 1.keep the noobtube just as annoying as in the first AND add the thumper, 2. make quick sniping easy as hell and complete bull shit, and 3. put in a thermal scope to make sniping even more annoying. Thats what people mean by unbalanced. There are so many different class combinations in mw2 that are extremely cheap, and that take absolutely no skill of any kind to use (quick sniping, noobtubes, thermal scope, ect). Not to mention it took them like three patches to fix the models, and there are still a billion glitches in there that they haven't addressed yet. 

Oh yeah, and I forgot the fact that its soooooooooooo easy to boost and there are like 3094582983475089372456738945896374985364 fake 10th prestiges because of it which basically destroys the whole point of prestiging in the first place. How dumb is it that they take out the ability to be in party chat in most game modes, but they still allow you to join your friends in free-for-all matches so you can boost. MW2 is the most jacked up glitchy and annoying online shooter yet. 

Edit: Also, I obviously know I dont have to play it, and I realize I'm whining. But as someone who loved the last two Call of Duty games, it really pisses me off when IW delivers such a crappy online experience compared to even World at War.

Murdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Murdian
    So people still playing MW 2 eh. Geeze im so over that.
    Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Laharl

I didnt read every post in this thread but am i the only one that thinks the ACR needs to be nerfed? I think thats a prime example of gun inbalance, if its a face to face fight the acr wins every time cause it has no recoil and is quite fast. Really every assault rifle wins against anything that isnt (cept maybe the ump) an assault rifle, whats the point of using an rpd when it takes me twice as long to kill someone with it.?

Also nevermind the fact that the spawn system is awful, if i kill someone than the game will purposely spawn that guy is some advantageous position to get a revenge kill on me, or when someone gets an ac130 or chopper gunner the game just loves spawning you  directly under the damn thing. 

Really though the biggest flaw (and i hate to sound like an elitist but ive played the crap outta cod4 so im impartial) is the game just became too casual, it adheres to the shitty players that will play for a month or 2 and the people that play this nonstop kinda get screwed over. The single player shows this to, all realism is thrown out the window for jackie chan and swrharchenagger(id like to see you spell it right) moments.

Cod4 was all about twitch gameplay but the shitty players were shitty and the good players were good, now its just a bumfuck. Whats sad is i go on even more but i wont, i still play this game a lot but only with friends, the game is just gonna give me a heart attack if i play it alone lol.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#112  Edited By natetodamax
    @kenya24 said:
    " @crunchUK:  I'm not saying camping specifically, though it's one of many options. And you don't have to die first, but you have to live with your decisions. Sometimes you're just going to die. Sometimes you're going to lose bad. Doesn't mean there's no balance. "
    If the game was balanced you wouldn't have to worry about losing badly unless you're put on a team of crackhead 10 year olds.
    Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Aetos

I more curious as to why all these modern warfare complaint threads have appeared lately. I thought we were done with them.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Laharl said:
    " I didnt read every post in this thread but am i the only one that thinks the ACR needs to be nerfed? I think thats a prime example of gun inbalance, if its a face to face fight the acr wins every time cause it has no recoil and is quite fast. Really every assault rifle wins against anything that isnt (cept maybe the ump) an assault rifle, whats the point of using an rpd when it takes me twice as long to kill someone with it.?  Also nevermind the fact that the spawn system is awful, if i kill someone than the game will purposely spawn that guy is some advantageous position to get a revenge kill on me, or when someone gets an ac130 or chopper gunner the game just loves spawning you  directly under the damn thing.   Really though the biggest flaw (and i hate to sound like an elitist but ive played the crap outta cod4 so im impartial) is the game just became too casual, it adheres to the shitty players that will play for a month or 2 and the people that play this nonstop kinda get screwed over. The single player shows this to, all realism is thrown out the window for jackie chan and swrharchenagger(id like to see you spell it right) moments.  Cod4 was all about twitch gameplay but the shitty players were shitty and the good players were good, now its just a bumfuck. Whats sad is i go on even more but i wont, i still play this game a lot but only with friends, the game is just gonna give me a heart attack if i play it alone lol. "
    Schwarz

En

Egger.

Schwarzenegger.

Just sound it out.
    Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Laharl
    @Sir_Ragnarok: lol thanks, ill prolly still forgot how to spell it by tomorrow.
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @kenya24 said:
    "

I’ve noticed on the internet a lot of people claiming that the game is unbalanced, and basically crying about it. I don’t understand this argument at all.

Quite frankly, very very very good weapons are available to everyone very early in multiplayer. If I recall correctly, by the time you’ve unlocked “create a class”, you have access to the M4, UMP, RPD, intervention or barrett (I forget which). You get the SCAR a few levels later. You can create a knifing class right away. So the game isn’t unbalanced because only the high level players get good weapons/perks/attachments.

The levels are fair. Sure there’s some choke points and slight advantages to starting on one side or the other, but what faction you play for is random… so that doesn’t make sense.

The game doesn't favor campers as there are very easy ways to counter them. Noobtubes may end your killstreak, but those players are ripping up the leaderboards...    I just don't see the "unbalanced" argument. "
    Look at it this way, when a player becomes very, very good at what he does, say.. split-second snipe (quickly zoom through the scope and fire, must have painted crosshair on screen), knows the map well, knife stacking, etc. Their victims find it frustrating and start to complain; "omg this game is rigged/unbalanced".
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By crunchUK
    @kenya24 said:
    " @crunchUK:  I'm not saying camping specifically, though it's one of many options. And you don't have to die first, but you have to live with your decisions. Sometimes you're just going to die. Sometimes you're going to lose bad. Doesn't mean there's no balance. "
    Except of course i can do nothing at all about whether i live or die. I've been refraining from this for a while, but here's a halo counter example. The enemy has a banshee. I know this because i was either timing the spawn or someone called it out, i also know whether we have a laser or not, i therefore know whether to support the laser guy as best as i can until he sorts it, or to head to base and rustle up a missile pod/power drain/stickies to try and combat it. 

Not only does this have strategic elements where a similar situation in MW2 doesn't, but i actually get to fight back, equals more fun, more depth, and therefore more lonegvity, quality, and everything else.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By kenya24
    @Alphiehyr said:
    "Look at it this way, when a player becomes very, very good at what he does, say.. split-second snipe (quickly zoom through the scope and fire, must have painted crosshair on screen), knows the map well, knife stacking, etc. Their victims find it frustrating and start to complain; "omg this game is rigged/unbalanced". "
    That's pretty much what I'm saying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crunchUK said:
    " @kenya24 said:
    I've been refraining from this for a while, but here's a halo counter example.
    Haha. I was waiting for it.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By kenya24
    @crunchUK said:

Except of course i can do nothing at all about whether i live or die. I've been refraining from this for a while, but here's a halo counter example. The enemy has a banshee. I know this because i was either timing the spawn or someone called it out, i also know whether we have a laser or not, i therefore know whether to support the laser guy as best as i can until he sorts it, or to head to base and rustle up a missile pod/power drain/stickies to try and combat it.  Not only does this have strategic elements where a similar situation in MW2 doesn't, but i actually get to fight back, equals more fun, more depth, and therefore more lonegvity, quality, and everything else. "

Halo and MW2... apple and oranges. They're both fruit, that's about it.

It's funny too because what you just described is more thought than most people put into MW2. Doesn't mean though that you can't think to that level in MW2.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By crunchUK
    @kenya24 said:
    " @crunchUK said:

Except of course i can do nothing at all about whether i live or die. I've been refraining from this for a while, but here's a halo counter example. The enemy has a banshee. I know this because i was either timing the spawn or someone called it out, i also know whether we have a laser or not, i therefore know whether to support the laser guy as best as i can until he sorts it, or to head to base and rustle up a missile pod/power drain/stickies to try and combat it.  Not only does this have strategic elements where a similar situation in MW2 doesn't, but i actually get to fight back, equals more fun, more depth, and therefore more lonegvity, quality, and everything else. "

Halo and MW2... apple and oranges. They're both fruit, that's about it.  It's funny too because what you just described is more thought than most people put into MW2. Doesn't mean though that you can't think to that level in MW2. "
    It does though, because the level of control which i have over adaptability is through my own ever changing playstyles and decisions, not perks. To quote yourself, "you have to live with your own decisions". That's great, really, but not when the decision is effectively a blind one. 

It boils down to this. In halo, and other higher quality MP titles, the tactical decisions are made KNOWING the circumstances, and therefore success or failure is determined by your decision (and therefore game knowledge) and ability. In MW2, they are not. You cannot. therefore success of failure is just pure chance.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By kenya24
    @crunchUK: Success or failure is pure chance? What game are you even playing?

I'm not going to be brought into a Halo vs MW2 debate, cause there's so little common ground it's pointless anyway.
    Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Azrail

mw2 or the first one have never been about balanced mp...

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Shadow

Assholes complaining about minor gripes in a game they play hundreds of hours of despite the fact that it's "terrible"

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By raiz265
    @kenya24: not completely, no. 
     but the carepackages and those two randomly shooting helicopters add a pretty big randomness to the game that a good MP game should not have imho 

additionally there's the bad pings in the PC version (don't know about consoles)... but that's a different story again

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shadow said:
    " Assholes complaining about minor gripes in a game they play hundreds of hours of despite the fact that it's "terrible" "
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The complaint I have with this game is the shitty matchmaking system. The hit detection is fucking atrocious, and the host advantage is easily seen.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By raiz265
    Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#129  Edited By Belonpopo

You don't play a lot of other games do you?

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @kenya24 said:
    " @Alphiehyr said:
    "Look at it this way, when a player becomes very, very good at what he does, say.. split-second snipe (quickly zoom through the scope and fire, must have painted crosshair on screen), knows the map well, knife stacking, etc. Their victims find it frustrating and start to complain; "omg this game is rigged/unbalanced". "
    That's pretty much what I'm saying. "
    They're usually immature teenagers. Instead of finding a way to counter it - they complain about it.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#131  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Shadow said:
    " Assholes complaining about minor gripes in a game they play hundreds of hours of despite the fact that it's "terrible" "
    It's not so much this as it is "People who would usually give the game a pass if not for its extreme popularity, and therefore they must nitpick every single glitch or imbalance, blow it WAYYYYYYYY out of proportion, and then bitch about it in topics like this" 

Seriously, cry some more. 
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By crunchUK
    @kenya24 said:
    " @crunchUK: Success or failure is pure chance? What game are you even playing?  I'm not going to be brought into a Halo vs MW2 debate, cause there's so little common ground it's pointless anyway. "
    I'm sure MW2 is perfectly balanced when everyone is fooling around doing their own thing, when things are just as they are... because they are - it's when you start to go a little in depth and into a little tactics that success of failure, IS pretty much pure chance. I've already explained why continually, you choose to ignore it.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By kmdrkul

I love me some cod.  A squeeze of lemon and a bit of tartar sauce, oh my!

Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I don't run into too many glitches in the PS3 version, so I have nothing to complain about besides the PS3's awkward controller.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Dylabaloo
    @kenya24: There is no counter to Stopping power! 

They really balanced this gun before putting it into the game.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#136  Edited By Cube

MW2 is garbage.

kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By kenya24
    @crunchUK said:
    "I'm sure MW2 is perfectly balanced when everyone is fooling around doing their own thing, when things are just as they are... because they are - it's when you start to go a little in depth and into a little tactics that success of failure, IS pretty much pure chance. I've already explained why continually, you choose to ignore it. "
    I ignored your example because it's obviously flawed. Replace "Spartan laser" with "stinger missile". Replace "support teammate" with "cover teammate". The tactics you described are inherit in EVERY FPS. Also, they really had no bearing on whether the game is balanced.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#138  Edited By Jayross

unbalanced my ass, more like unplayable and unfun.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By crunchUK
    @kenya24 said:

" @crunchUK said:

"I'm sure MW2 is perfectly balanced when everyone is fooling around doing their own thing, when things are just as they are... because they are - it's when you start to go a little in depth and into a little tactics that success of failure, IS pretty much pure chance. I've already explained why continually, you choose to ignore it. "

I ignored your example because it's obviously flawed. Replace "Spartan laser" with "stinger missile". Replace "support teammate" with "cover teammate". The tactics you described are inherit in EVERY FPS. Also, they really had no bearing on whether the game is balanced. "
    Except in MW2 you don't know whether they've got a chopper or not, because it's completely inconsistent and random. Therefore nobody knows whether to equip a missile launcher (whereas in halo the laser is a power weapon with timed spawn so you know all about it), therefore many people on your team are going to die because of completely random and unknown until they happen eventualities.  

These kind of decisions are inherent in a lot of FPS, halo just has them done particularly well and clear cut, but not MW2. It's just a happy go lucky clusterfuck. 

How does it relate to balance? a counter may exist for a certain situation, but you have no idea what that situation is nor any way to react to it until you die. As a result there is no counter. Balance just isn't A>B>C>A, it's a lot more than that. Something which too few people, even on a supposedly core gamer forum like giantbomb seem to understand. 
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Rockdalf

I got tired of this game, came back a few weeks later and now I suck, which gives me even less incentive to play.

If you want your problems with balance, here it is.

The problem with CoD MW 2 is that it has options, lots of them.  Now, options aren't necessarily always a bad thing, the first CoD MW had a great selection of options to choose from, but it still maintained a certain amount of fairness amongst all of the choices.  MW2 opens up more doors, which screws over the inherent penalties that were involved in some combinations from the first game.

For instance, our friendly noob tube.  Where before the MOST, you could do with it was fire two grenades and then fair your luck playing the game like everyone else and wait for a respawn to get your tubes back.  The disadvantages were obvious.  One you were considered scum and villainy, much like now, only worse.  Two, you were forced to carry a weapon that had a useless attachment (as you could only have one attachment) after you fired your first two grenades, while other people would have sights, scopes and silencers.  This also hurt you because killstreaks started at three, so the best you could hope for was a UAV if you were lucky enough to nab one person per grenade AND kill another with your weapon.  Then, at the very worst, you just got your team a UAV, so you aren't benefiting from it solely.

It's almost as if the game developers saw this as a bad thing and wanted to fix it all.  Now you take Scavenger or One Man Army and you have infinite tubes.  This in turn allows you to grab greater killstreaks than before.  Where you was once lucky to get a UAV at 3, you can now get a chopper gunner or AC 130 at 4 (possibly).  If that doesn't float your boat, simply camp out 7 kills and get your Harrier+Choppa+Nuke and win.  Still can't pull that off in Deathmatch?  How's about we create objectives everyone has to run to, so you can just lob toobs that direction and get your 7 to win.

You tell me which sounds more balanced.

This is not in the least bit helped by the games now insane popularity (with an almost Halo-ish calling), so that if the gap between players who play all the time and players who play some of the isn't stretched out beyond support, the gap between players who won't stoop to using things EVERYONE uses and those who will.

You said it's about adaptation, but it's really just assimilation.  You either play the game with X setup over Y, or you lose to people who do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to hear how people think the game's map design figures into its balance issues (or lack thereof, depending on your outlook).

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Ryax

my only unbalanced observation is that a gun thats almost 200 years old can be more accurate and powerful than any modern weapon.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By teh_destroyer

I enjoy playing the game and I think its balanced out fairly well. The only thing that pisses me off are nubetubers, 

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Aus_azn
    @kenya24: It's unbalanced in the context that certain guns stand out WAY above others. For example, the M4 is a terrifically weak gun with no recoil. The ACR is a much stronger gun with no recoil. There you go. 

Or the WA2000 and the M21. The M21 is a WA2K with less recoil, better multipliers and a bigger clip. 

All LMGS are rubbish compared to the AUG HBAR. Yes, they all get the job done, but they all suck.
    Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Relys

They weapons are not unbalanced per say, but unskillful.

This game is a clusterfuck of shit designing.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By solidlife

Danger close + NoobTube is the most crap ever 
    Danger close + shotgun + steady aim + AC130  
    Painkiller 
    Commando, being an instance kill i.e not being able to shoot them while they are attacking you to counter. 

I think its just poor game design is the real problem after all. COD4 was so tight IMO.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#147  Edited By 234r2we232

Fuck. I want Juggernaut back. If they can have a perk that makes your gun more powerful, they should include something that upps your defense to such equally BS-tastic things. Painkiller is just silly. It uusualy takes you way more than a few seconds to run back to that guy who, by the time you reach them again, is hiding in another corner. Oh, I'm going on a rant...

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @Sir_Ragnarok: The maps aren't terrible, but they are far from ideal. 

@solidlife: The game in terms of design is well designed in some things, and complete shit in others. COD4 had it's faults, but it had a much more consistent level of quality than MW2.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Azrail

Ahhh i remember the day of good and balanced mp 

sigh

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I love the game but some of the maps (Terminal comes to mind) are VERY unbalanced in terms of spawn points and such. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.