Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Let's discuss the games ending. What's going to happen?

papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By papuccino1

** SPOILERS**
    So I just beat the game today for the first time and I gotta say, it blew my mind! What a terrific display of immersion! My favorite level by far is the favela. I loved running away from the raging militants. :D

Anyways, at the end of the game you hear Nikolai saying he knows just the place to keep Price and Soap safe. What's going to happen in Modern Warfare 3?

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sanryd
    @papuccino1 said:
    "My favorite level by far is the favela."
    Were you on acid when you played it? That level makes me want to punch a baby in the face.
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bicycleham

Well, in Modern Warfare 3, there will be an even crappier matchmaking system that takes 10 minutes to connect to a multiplayer game. In fact, Multiplayer will be dropped completely for "better" and "more immersive" singleplayer. Then, it will only contain a 1/4 of how many weapons and singleplayer missions that there were in Modern Warfare 2. Singeplayer wise, you'll shoot stuff.

Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Laharl

You will be on the ground almost dead again while makarov slowly approaches you, just as hes about to kill you for good something will happen and you will get a handgun and in slomo shoot and kill him. The end.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@tdk08: I dug the Favela on the lower difficulties. Especially the whole Mirror's Edge escape sequence. 

As for the story, I'm not even sure they have a good idea what's going to happen, what with all this financial tumult happening.
    papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By papuccino1

Yeah, I agree that the story was a bit crappy. I mean, trace a bullet from the Airport shooting to Brazil. Riiiiiight.

Still the characters of Price and Soap make me want to come back for more. Soap was a scrub back in MW1, and seeing him being a complete badass just makes me really excited. :)

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

MOON MISSION.

But seriously, nukes will happen and probably some more stealthy stuff with Soap, Price, and Nikolai as part of some underground group. Maybe some new guys as tradition for Call of Duty (we might see Loose Ends snipers Archer and Toad return if they haven't died yet).
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FirePrince

Favela? 
    That level made me want to rip the space-time continuum in half. 
    Also,the story was ok,but why do they all end in slow-motion.Slow-mo shoot-out,slow-mo knife kill.
    lolgreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By lolgreg

Modern Warfare 3 will have: 

• More explosions 
    • More screens that fade to black 
    • More rage-inducing ways to die online 
    adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By adziboy
    @Laharl said:
    "You will be on the ground almost dead again while makarov slowly approaches you, just as hes about to kill you for good something will happen and you will get a handgun and in slomo shoot and kill him. The end. "

Then his son appears in the next game and that ends with him above you, you on the ground, and you headshot him with a sniper. etc etc
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By xMP44x

I imagine the game will involve Makarov. But at the same time, I hope Makarov isn't killed. Because he was absolutely badass and nobody can disagree with that. Makarov is one of the coolest villains I've seen in a game and I hope that he is kept on. Hell, if they could twist it somehow I'd be interested in seeing Makarov betraying his own men. For something logical. I'd like to see him captured, and then pleading to live. And then he could simply stab all his men in the back for the benefit of Price and Soap. Before being killed himself, or something. Maybe he could simply be captured or something, because it'd be a shame for an awesome game character to die. Might as well keep one of the good guys from the game alive - I still wish they didn't kill off Gaz. So I'm hoping they don't do the same with Makarov.

bozasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bozasm

I predict the voice of Gaz/Ghost will make a return with a character name that starts with G.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Gabriel
    @xMP44x said:
    " I imagine the game will involve Makarov. But at the same time, I hope Makarov isn't killed. Because he was absolutely badass and nobody can disagree with that. Makarov is one of the coolest villains I've seen in a game and I hope that he is kept on. Hell, if they could twist it somehow I'd be interested in seeing Makarov betraying his own men. For something logical. I'd like to see him captured, and then pleading to live. And then he could simply stab all his men in the back for the benefit of Price and Soap. Before being killed himself, or something. Maybe he could simply be captured or something, because it'd be a shame for an awesome game character to die. Might as well keep one of the good guys from the game alive - I still wish they didn't kill off Gaz. So I'm hoping they don't do the same with Makarov. "
    Makarov sucked compared to Shepard, they should have killed off Makorav and saved Shepard for MW3 it seems like they got it backwards.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xMP44x
    @Gabriel said:
    " @xMP44x said:
    " I imagine the game will involve Makarov. But at the same time, I hope Makarov isn't killed. Because he was absolutely badass and nobody can disagree with that. Makarov is one of the coolest villains I've seen in a game and I hope that he is kept on. Hell, if they could twist it somehow I'd be interested in seeing Makarov betraying his own men. For something logical. I'd like to see him captured, and then pleading to live. And then he could simply stab all his men in the back for the benefit of Price and Soap. Before being killed himself, or something. Maybe he could simply be captured or something, because it'd be a shame for an awesome game character to die. Might as well keep one of the good guys from the game alive - I still wish they didn't kill off Gaz. So I'm hoping they don't do the same with Makarov. "
    Makarov sucked compared to Shepard, they should have killed off Makorav and saved Shepard for MW3 it seems like they got it backwards. "
    I disagree entirely. Shepherd felt to me more of an afterthought. Considering all the hype Makarov got and the fact there was a major (not to mention controversial) mission involving Makarov, I was hoping he would have more of a part in the story. Evidently, he did not. But maybe he will in Modern Warfare 3. I'd like to see more about the character of Makarov and perhaps even have a mission as a flashback, involving him. For example: 

Remember One Shot, One Kill? Yeah, you popped Zakhaev. As you know Makarov was Zakhaev's right hand man, so maybe playing through his events after that shooting in an additional mission or something. Granted, MacMillan and Price were the only two men at the assassination, but they might not have been the only men on the ground during the attack. 

Maybe I'm delving in too far.. I don't know.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Gabriel
    @xMP44x said:
    " @Gabriel said:
    " @xMP44x said:
    Makarov sucked compared to Shepard, they should have killed off Makorav and saved Shepard for MW3 it seems like they got it backwards. "
    I disagree entirely. Shepherd felt to me more of an afterthought. Considering all the hype Makarov got and the fact there was a major (not to mention controversial) mission involving Makarov, I was hoping he would have more of a part in the story. Evidently, he did not. But maybe he will in Modern Warfare 3. I'd like to see more about the character of Makarov and perhaps even have a mission as a flashback, involving him. For example:  Remember One Shot, One Kill? Yeah, you popped Zakhaev. As you know Makarov was Zakhaev's right hand man, so maybe playing through his events after that shooting in an additional mission or something. Granted, MacMillan and Price were the only two men at the assassination, but they might not have been the only men on the ground during the attack.  Maybe I'm delving in too far.. I don't know. "
    Did Makarov really get any hype, the only thing he did worthwhile was murder a bunch of Civilians in an airport. We don't even know who really started the war between U.S and Russia it probably wasn't Makarov as they stated repeatedly in the game Makarov is a small time player. Even though Shepard's turn felt odd, he was still a hell of a lot better of a character than Makarov. In MW3 their gonna have to have a hell of a lot better Villain than Makarov or I'll be disappointed. 
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xMP44x
    @Gabriel said:
    Did Makarov really get any hype, the only thing he did worthwhile was murder a bunch of Civilians in an airport. We don't even know who really started the war between U.S and Russia it probably wasn't Makarov as they stated repeatedly in the game Makarov is a small time player. Even though Shepard's turn felt odd, he was still a hell of a lot better of a character than Makarov. In MW3 their gonna have to have a hell of a lot better Villain than Makarov or I'll be disappointed.  "
    Well, there were some trailers with Makarov doing the backing voice. Now those were awesome regardless of whether you liked him as a character or not. While Makarov is a small time player, as you put it, he definitely did have some power to get Shepherd allied with him. Granted Shepherd would likely have used any excuse to exact revenge on the Ultranationalists and terrorists responsible for the loss of his men during Call of Duty 4, but Makarov definitely has more power than was shown, I think. Despite the fact Makarov might not have started the war through the shooting at the airport, he definitely had a large part to play in it. After all, he does say:

The American tried to deceive us. When they find his corpse, all of Russia will cry out for war.

Now, considering the fact he mentions Russia would be looking to wage war after that, and the fact some of the newspaper clippings found in his estate speak of thousands of fatalities (seems excessively high, though it illustrates my point), Makarov's actions likely were a deciding part of the choice to attack the US. I hope they save Makarov as a character, because he is a villain definitely, but at the same time he has a trace of humanity to him. He does, after all, give up the position of Shepherd, which shows him to be something of a coward when he is backed into a corner. Owing to this cowardice I do believe it would be possible for him to be captured in Modern Warfare 3 without being killed. And I hope it turns out to be the case. Makarov is a superb character IMO, and I think they could explore some depth with him.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrPockets000

Yeah, fuck the favela.  I spent 2 hours on that level because of the "monster closet" enemy spawning.  Admittedly, the escape sequence at the end rocked, but getting to it was a headache. 

The next Modern Warfare will have all of the maps Rust sized, new individual maps for $10 a pop, twice as many killstreaks (including noob tube nukes), akimbo throwing knives and assault rifles, robot attack dogs, and a Soap/Price lovemaking scene.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By thatfrood

In Modern Warfare 3, you walk into an orphanage for the victims of china's earthquake last year and gun everyone down as the first level.
    Critics everywhere hail it as a triumph in storytelling.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

Modern Warfare 3 sends Soap back in time to World War II after Infinity Ward collapses in on itself and Activision gives development duties to Treyarch.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I STILL don't understand what happened to Makarov....

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By DCFGS3
    @Everyones_A_Critic said:
    " I STILL don't understand what happened to Makarov.... "
    He buggered off. Literally, that was what happened. I think it was retarded how the world's hardest mercenary is just worn down by Price saying "You should probs help us", what's more I felt his character, what little of it there was, was the only good thing about the entire story.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Ghostiet

Modern Warfare 3 will be episodic. The first two chapters will be flashbacks from the previous two games - 10 bones per level.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Modern Warfare 3 will have: 

• shitty gameplay, 'cos IW is dead!
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Illmatic

Story wise, I'd actually prefer to play as a team chasing after Price and Soap along with a dual campaign in Russia with the american soldier we played in MW2. Price and Soap are constantly portrayed as these amazing soldiers, it'd be interesting to see how skilled they are from the others side of the gun.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Cirdain
    @papuccino1 said:

" Yeah, I agree that the story was a bit crappy. I mean, trace a bullet from the Airport shooting to Brazil. Riiiiiight.  Still the characters of Price and Soap make me want to come back for more. Soap was a scrub back in MW1, and seeing him being a complete badass just makes me really excited. :) "

"trace a bullet from the Airport shooting to Brazil."
    That actually makes the most sense. But the massive fail of a covert operation and then an massive war raging on. WTF
    s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By s7evn

They will finish the fight by taking the player through set piece after set piece. The game will end giving the player a wtf just happened kind of feeling

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iam3green

i felt the story was very confusing. it should be good in a way.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28  Edited By natetodamax
    @ThatFrood said:
    " In Modern Warfare 3, you walk into an orphanage for the victims of china's earthquake last year and gun everyone down as the first level. Critics everywhere hail it as a triumph in storytelling. "
    Yep.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Kyreo

Alright everybody shut the fuck up.  I know the real answer here.  IF Infinity Ward makes MW3 Foley and his rangers will go to Moscow and tear shit up there and Price, Soap and Nikolai will chase after Makarov.   

Srsly... that's whats gonna happen.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Capum15
    @Kyreo said:

" Alright everybody shut the fuck up.  I know the real answer here.  IF Infinity Ward makes MW3 Foley and his rangers will go to Moscow and tear shit up there and Price, Soap and Nikolai will chase after Makarov.    Srsly... that's whats gonna happen. "

Which is what should happen. I want to see how the Rangers are doing in 3.

Ramirez! Take over the Kremlin!

Edit: Thinking about it, the Russians paradropped into D.C. with only infantry and light armored vehicles...if the US goes over there, they'll probably go by sea and air, bringing everything with them. We might get to see some tank battles, or Artillery barrages.
    RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RedneckedCrake
    @Capum15 said:
    " @Kyreo said:

" Alright everybody shut the fuck up.  I know the real answer here.  IF Infinity Ward makes MW3 Foley and his rangers will go to Moscow and tear shit up there and Price, Soap and Nikolai will chase after Makarov.    Srsly... that's whats gonna happen. "

Which is what should happen. I want to see how the Rangers are doing in 3. Ramirez! Take over the Kremlin!  Edit: Thinking about it, the Russians paradropped into D.C. with only infantry and light armored vehicles...if the US goes over there, they'll probably go by sea and air, bringing everything with them. We might get to see some tank battles, or Artillery barrages. "
    Capturing Moscow in MW3 would be pretty awesome. They could have some sick sequence of the game where you're shooting through the city, Little Bird mini guns are unloading on enemy positions, and air strikes are devastating the rest of the city. That would be epic. 

Not sure where the Soap and Price story line is going. Chances are they'll try to kill Makarov. But I'm pretty sure they'll still be on the run from the Americans and everyone else too. I expect to see Soap's face messed up in the next game. He took a combat boot to the face from Shepard and was stabbed right in the chest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.