Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monday Night Combat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 11, 2010

A multiplayer-focused third-person shooter that borrows elements from both Team Fortress 2 and Defense of the Ancients. Take control of one of six personified Classes and defend your Moneyball in a futuristic sports environment.

Longevity Issues?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

The problem exists with almost every Xbox Live game save Modern Warfare and Halo. 
    At what point does a game just have so few players that playing is no longer an option? 

As of right now I haven't bought Monday Night Combat but am looking forward to the time when I can but I worry about the fervor dying out before I get my fill. 
    Thoughts?  

Hawk456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hawk456

I agree... especially if you don' t play often.  MSFT is clearly releasing online-focused games to reel you into renewing your annual gold membership.  The more online-focused games you buy, the more likely you are to renew, otherwise you've wasted your money on games you'll never play again.  I did pull the trigger on Lara Croft and I'll wait for Limbo to be $5 or 50% off later on, similar to last years line-up.
    Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Malakhii

People buy new games and stop playing old ones, unless a game gets a huge fan base, or a strong cult following, this is the way of the world. Developers can stem this by supporting their games with updates, DLC or putting it on sale to boost the player base. The PC has the modding community, which adds even more support, but consoles depend only on the developers to add more content.  

It always sucks when you can't find players, my advice would be to ask some friends to play. 

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I kinda hope MNC stays, it's pretty decent (EpicSteve told me on XBL to get it over Scott Pilgrim, I'd rather play Scott Pilgrim on an iPhone, that'd be awesome), Battlefield 1943 actually has a fair amount of players still. 

It's just the way of the world, TF2 is only going to die once Valve brings TF3 (doubt it) or they go crazy and fuck everything up with the updates (doubt it again). Call of Duty games just get new ones annually, they'll go shit once Activision starts releasing them every 6 months. Halo looks to come to a halt but Reach will make it live a few more years then Bungie will make more. Counter Strike still has players, new ones too, Counter Strike 2 would be loverly TBH. 

PC gamers have the edge of Mods and Servers keeping things alive, but with Piracy still at large (Steam is helping far more than anyone would have thought.) PC games are slowing getting fucked. 

My two cents.

simplejack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By simplejack
    @Malakhii said:
    " People buy new games and stop playing old ones, unless a game gets a huge fan base, or a strong cult following, this is the way of the world. Developers can stem this by supporting their games with updates, DLC or putting it on sale to boost the player base. The PC has the modding community, which adds even more support, but consoles depend only on the developers to add more content.   It always sucks when you can't find players, my advice would be to ask some friends to play.  "
    I agree I hope that this game doesn't turn out to only have the same 10-20 people only and no one new.  Maybe the DLC fixes and the possibility of it being free makes me excited, I doubt that many will play it when Black Ops, Reach and NHL11 come out.  Hopefully they keep adding DLC to keep players interested.
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Fosssil

The population will inevitably decline a great deal, especially once the big name shooters like Reach and Black Ops launch later this year, but I don't think it will ever get to a point where you can't find a match because of too few players online. There are plenty of shooters out there that most people would consider to be "dead" (like Shadowrun or Team Fortress 2) that still have enough people playing to find a quick match at almost any time of day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.