Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Tri

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 20, 2010

The first third-generation Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter 3 (tri) represents a reboot to the franchise, with dozens of new monsters, items, weapons, and underwater combat.

I just got Monster Hunter 3 Tri (VLOG)

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Godwind

I had reserved Monster Hunter 3 for the Wii at Gamestop.  They had a pretty good deal going for it.  If you buy it, you get $5 off and in addition to that, you get 500 free wii points which comes with a pretty looking card.  Since I am still a pretty huge user of the virtual console service, this made a lot of sense for me to pick it up.  I got the bundle which came with the Classic Controller Pro which is $20 new.  So I saved a total of $20 reserving this game.  If I end up hating the game, I could sell it for money and make up a bit for the difference, although I probably wouldn't break even.

It was made out for a big announcement for this year and apparently was some death blow to the PS3.  Although if I end up enjoying this game, I will likely get a PSP, which is Ironic but does make some sense.  The Monster Hunter games really made it big on the PSP.  I initially picked up the Demo but I wasn't pleased with it.  Although demos rarely impress me anyways.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Godwind

I had reserved Monster Hunter 3 for the Wii at Gamestop.  They had a pretty good deal going for it.  If you buy it, you get $5 off and in addition to that, you get 500 free wii points which comes with a pretty looking card.  Since I am still a pretty huge user of the virtual console service, this made a lot of sense for me to pick it up.  I got the bundle which came with the Classic Controller Pro which is $20 new.  So I saved a total of $20 reserving this game.  If I end up hating the game, I could sell it for money and make up a bit for the difference, although I probably wouldn't break even.

It was made out for a big announcement for this year and apparently was some death blow to the PS3.  Although if I end up enjoying this game, I will likely get a PSP, which is Ironic but does make some sense.  The Monster Hunter games really made it big on the PSP.  I initially picked up the Demo but I wasn't pleased with it.  Although demos rarely impress me anyways.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Nice thread about your business sense :P

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Godwind
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Nice thread about your business sense :P "
    I hope you're being sarcastic.  Because if you are not, I might have lost money dude...if I don't enjoy the game.  Although I hope it turns out to be a good game.  If it does, I'll probably pick up a PSP for it.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's a great game, you just might not like it. Should have read more about it before purchasing perhaps. Hold off getting a PSP until Portable 3rd is out, it will be cheaper by then, and that game will at least have some of Tri's improvements, which aren't in Freedom Unite. Though the extra content isn't looking that great and is obviously not from the main MH team. Or by that time maybe they'll announce 3G and you won't need to invest in a new system at all, who knows.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Godwind
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " It's a great game, you just might not like it. "
    I'm not that hard to please, but when something sucks, it has to be the bottom of the barrel crap.  Based on the Demo, it doesn't seem like that.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

If you need tips try here, here, here,similar threads, or make your own thread asking whatever you want, though I don't have Tri yet I've at least played the demo to see the main gameplay differences from Unite and have played the latter quite a bit. But the lengthy tutorials in the main storyline should do the job.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Xeiphyer

MH 3rd Portable is going to be awesome, its keeping all the old weapon types, but adding in the new monsters and areas. The new village is a hotspring lol. 

I might pick up tri~ in a few weeks. Hopefully it doesn't look so fucking terrible if I get the 720p cables for my wii, because damn, the demo looked god awful on my tv.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Emilio
    @Xeiphyer said:
    " MH 3rd Portable is going to be awesome, its keeping all the old weapon types, but adding in the new monsters and areas. The new village is a hotspring lol.   I might pick up tri~ in a few weeks. Hopefully it doesn't look so fucking terrible if I get the 720p cables for my wii, because damn, the demo looked god awful on my tv. "
    Sorry, but the 720p cables will only do 480p. Nyahahahahahahaa
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JJOR64

I think this will be a game I'll get this summer.  I would pick it up this week, but Super Street Fighter IV will be out next week and I'll be putting in all my time into that game for the next 700 years or so.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Portable 3rd doesn't have the underwater areas and monsters. Granted that's the minority of the Tri content but it's still cool to have. It also keeps the old style bowguns, so you can't fully customise them with having three different parts with their own stats and specials and what not. Just saying, I'll still get it if I'm not burnt out on MH gameplay by that point (and if they don't announce Monster Hunter 3 G), but Tri's the main course, as Portable 3rd seems to be not from the main development team but the dudes that did the Frontier content and what not, going by the weird style of the new monsters. It's also quite far. I wonder if they keep the old style armors or if they adopt the Tri stuff, that's the biggest and most awesome change in it, protection stones which let you customise armors to your playing style and make it so there's no universal best set as in previous MH games, and everyone walks around in their own favorites instead.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Emilio said:
    " @Xeiphyer said:
    " MH 3rd Portable is going to be awesome, its keeping all the old weapon types, but adding in the new monsters and areas. The new village is a hotspring lol.   I might pick up tri~ in a few weeks. Hopefully it doesn't look so fucking terrible if I get the 720p cables for my wii, because damn, the demo looked god awful on my tv. "
    Sorry, but the 720p cables will only do 480p. Nyahahahahahahaa "
    Uggh! =P Fucking wii.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Godwind
    @Xeiphyer said:
    " @Emilio said:
    " @Xeiphyer said:
    Sorry, but the 720p cables will only do 480p. Nyahahahahahahaa "
    Uggh! =P Fucking wii. "

Yes, we all know, the Wii looks terrible in HD.  I plan on getting an RCA to HDMI box to clean up the mess behind my TV and get a bunch of splitters. 

@JJOR64 said:
    "I think this will be a game I'll get this summer.  I would pick it up this week, but Super Street Fighter IV will be out next week and I'll be putting in all my time into that game for the next 700 years or so. "

The complete opposite for me, but only because I am keeping my playstation 3 in storage. 

@Al3xand3r said:
    "If you need tips try here, here, here,similar threads, or make your own thread asking whatever you want, though I don't have Tri yet I've at least played the demo to see the main gameplay differences from Unite and have played the latter quite a bit. But the lengthy tutorials in the main storyline should do the job. "

Thanks mate.  That is some pretty useful information.  The Demo really sucked if you're new to the series, which in my case, is what happened.  The completed games is defintely much better. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.