Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

"Ultimate" Mortal Kombat: What should be in the next one?

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bingbangboom

I am enjoying this game a bunch but we all figure that there will be an "Ultimate" Mortal Kombat or Game of the Year or "Super" edition released next year but what should it have in it? Here is what I would add to it to make it an even better package.

• New Fatalities for all characters: Pretty easy for them to add especially of they add the retro Fatalities.
    • DLC + More Characters: Add whatever the DLC characters will be along with a couple of new characters.
    • Epilogue Story: Basically a few chapters after the story mode with some new characters or revisit the world after the ending.  
    • Updated Characters: New Character Designs and new moves. Kung Lao and Lui Kang look so different in this game vs. previous games. I would also update Sonya Blade.
    • Puzzle Kombat and more modes: Bringing back things like Chess, "Tetris" and other modes would be cool especially with online play.
    • MK Documentary: Putting footage from previous documentaries and making of the game.
    • Friendships: Why not?
    • Dynamic Fatalities: Would like the mood to change slightly with fatalities similar to say 300, do slow mode and tons of blood.
    • Tournament Mode: Ability to set up tournaments with your friends where you can take turns playing even if not everyone is online. Play your match and move forward.
    • Customize Costumes: Not so much a full create a fighter but the ability to customize a costume could be interesting especially with a new Krypt feature to unlock different items.

Also hopefully the fix all the online play with the game. So what would you add?
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By sameeeeam

I don't know. I think there's a fairly decent chance they'll simply go the DLC route with MK.

On-topic: I'd like them to bring back Rain. More ninjas!
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By EuanDewar
    @Underachiever007: His character model is done and in the game so its safe to assume he might turn up as DLC.
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SomeDeliCook

How about they DON'T do an "ultimate" edition or release the same game every year with a new character or two and actually give us expansion packs or entirely new games?

I think I like that better.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SSully
    @SomeDeliCook said:
    " How about they DON'T do an "ultimate" edition or release the same game every year with a new character or two and actually give us expansion packs or entirely new games?

"
    I like the way you think. I rather get a small amount of DLC and then a full new game in 2 years or so then a small rehash in a year. 
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bingbangboom

I doubt we will see a sequel in a year or two. I would like it if they did just do a DLC update with all this stuff but unfortunatly thats just not how it works now. Seems every big game gets a re-release sometimes multiple times with the DLC or other improvements. Now I would rather a new version be only $30 vs. a full $60 but they make money by doing these re-releases plus it keeps the studios busy and working.

Never got into Rain other than he was the Purple guy. I looked him up and I guess they changed him up a bit in the later versions. I had just thought Ermac was the Orange guy but his update seems cool.
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By ricetopher

RUN BUTTON

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sameeeeam
    @bingbangboom said:

" I doubt we will see a sequel in a year or two. I would like it if they did just do a DLC update with all this stuff but unfortunatly thats just not how it works now. Seems every big game gets a re-release sometimes multiple times with the DLC or other improvements. Now I would rather a new version be only $30 vs. a full $60 but they make money by doing these re-releases plus it keeps the studios busy and working.
    Never got into Rain other than he was the Purple guy. I looked him up and I guess they changed him up a bit in the later versions. I had just thought Ermac was the Orange guy but his update seems cool.
    "

Most of those "GOTY" editions are just the regular game with the DLC packed in (the exception being most Japanese fighters, which often see no DLC at all). In fact, I'm pretty sure there are a couple of characters that have already been confirmed as DLC for MK.
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bingbangboom

I would like to see bald Kano, I enjoyed that costume. BTW, has there ever been a Red Ninja? Like Scorpion is yellow, etc. I think Ermac was orange but I could be wrong?

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By gamb1t

I approve of a Ultimate MK

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlightConfuse

i settle for another x-ray for each character

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sameeeeam
    @bingbangboom said:

" I would like to see bald Kano, I enjoyed that costume. BTW, has there ever been a Red Ninja? Like Scorpion is yellow, etc. I think Ermac was orange but I could be wrong? "

Ermac was red.
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ares42

As others have said, I'd much rather see a major DLC pack than a new game. It should have a continuation of the story, a new (but maybe smaller) tower, at least one more x-ray per character (2 wouldn't hurt), another set or two of costumes and maybe a few new characters. Only issue I see with characters is that they've sorta already got all the chars at least I care about (the game already has some of the chars I'd rather not see), so filling it up with more stupid chars doesn't really add anything.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Skald

I want a few downloadable characters, but nothing beyond that.

I'd like to see Rain, for instance, and maybe Robo-Smoke.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Portis
    @bingbangboom said:

" BTW, has there ever been a Red Ninja? "

Ermac.

No Caption Provided

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bingbangboom

Robo-Smoke should be easy enough to do, I forgot they had one until I watched Mortal Monday.

One thing I would like to see is a X-Breaker. Basically combining a combo breaker with an X-Ray. Would be an interesting twist to add to the game instead of just another x-ray move. Would still use the full meter but would act like a breaker to begin with then have a new X-Ray move.

If any game franchise is known for doing sequels of sequels it is Mortal Kombat. Remember Ultimate MK3 and MK Trilogy? I bet it was already in the plans per the sales at WB. Again not a bad thing considering if they do it, it won't be till next year and would be on the cheap.
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bingbangboom
    @Portis said:
    " @bingbangboom said:

Ermac.

No Caption Provided

"
    Thanks, I had always thought he was orange and not red. Guess it was never red enough for me. I hoped they would have made another named "Krimson" and he would be a vampire! Mwhahaha.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By damswedon

Dupport with DLC for a year then announce MKX

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @SomeDeliCook said:
    " How about they DON'T do an "ultimate" edition or release the same game every year with a new character or two and actually give us expansion packs or entirely new games?

"
    Definitely agree.  Wait a few years and do a full fledged sequel, rather than these tiny updates.
    DLC characters are fine, but I'm guessing they'll only use the ones that already have character models ingame (Kenshi, Frost, Rain, Tanya, etc) and save the big ones like Shinnok for the sequel.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By eroticfishcake

Make Shao-Kahn actually fun to play against.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By TheHBK

Can we get Klassic Kostumes for all Karacters?  I mean, Ermac looks cool and all but I want to see red ninja fight blue ninja.  Or how about movie costumes?  From the first MK movie.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bestostero

All of what you said plus MORE costumes!!! :)

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @SomeDeliCook said:

"
    Definitely agree.  Wait a few years and do a full fledged sequel, rather than these tiny updates.
    DLC characters are fine, but I'm guessing they'll only use the ones that already have character models ingame (Kenshi, Frost, Rain, Tanya, etc) and save the big ones like Shinnok for the sequel.
    "
    Yeah, but, what made mk9 work was because they were retelling the mk storyline back when people cared about it. Another MK game that is a sequal and not "tiny updates" would go in the direction that made mk irrelevant like adding characters no one cares about, and killing off characters that people did save scorpion and subzero. For example, Jeff personally likes Striker while I liked Kabal. But when Mk4 and deception came out, they were gone and so was the popularity. So what exactly would be a new game to you? New storyline? Well history shows that anything after the storyline of mk3 (and UMK3)nobody cares about, and history also shows its not a good idea to kill characters since you would lose certain fans with each cut. 

The only thing they can do really is just add more characters and modes, and perhaps have an alternate storyline without really furthering anything. But are those just tiny updates? The OP believes that everybody getting new moves and adding new characters is tiny as well? So then WTF would actually be a new game to you? 
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TwoOneFive

I just want more photorealistic graphics and more intense fatalities. as it is now theyre comical. i want to cringe and be literally freaked out by it like "OMG WTF?!"

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By stonyman65

I want 8 player tournament like in MK3, I want old costumes and fatalities from MK2/UMK3, plus some new ones.

As fas as the roster is concerned, I think it is fine how it is. I think all the people you would want to play are there, and the ones you don't want are not there. 

Nothing past MK4, and even then most of the people in MK4 where crap so I would say keep it as it is. 
    StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StealthRaptor

Better hitboxes would be nice.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bestostero

ohh yeah, maybe not an ultimate verison, but just dlc lol

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @SomeDeliCook said:

"
    "
    Yeah, but, what made mk9 work was because they were retelling the mk storyline back when people cared about it. Another MK game that is a sequal and not "tiny updates" would go in the direction that made mk irrelevant like adding characters no one cares about, and killing off characters that people did save scorpion and subzero. For example, Jeff personally likes Striker while I liked Kabal. But when Mk4 and deception came out, they were gone and so was the popularity. So what exactly would be a new game to you? New storyline? Well history shows that anything after the storyline of mk3 (and UMK3)nobody cares about, and history also shows its not a good idea to kill characters since you would lose certain fans with each cut. 

The only thing they can do really is just add more characters and modes, and perhaps have an alternate storyline without really furthering anything. But are those just tiny updates? The OP believes that everybody getting new moves and adding new characters is tiny as well? So then WTF would actually be a new game to you? 
    "
    The stories in all the MK games have generally been bad, including 1-3.  If people care about it more, it's simply because they're the ones that are remembered.  Both MK4 and Deadly Alliance had excellent stories, they just may not have been told particularly well, just as the original games weren't.  This is a chance for them to redo them with much more flair, the way they've turned the original story of holding a tournament to the death into something much more epic.

I also think they've learnt from their past mistakes and won't simply abandon the popular characters.  Other fighting games keep their full roster of characters into each sequel and simply add a few new ones, which usually helps the quality too..  MK's problem in the past was the fact they kicked out the ones everybody liked and had to come up with a whole bunch of new faces, who usually ended up being cheap imitations.  Again, mistakes they made with previous sequels don't have to be repeated with new sequels.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @SomeDeliCook said:

"
    "

"
    The stories in all the MK games have generally been bad, including 1-3.  If people care about it more, it's simply because they're the ones that are remembered.  Both MK4 and Deadly Alliance had excellent stories, they just may not have been told particularly well, just as the original games weren't.  This is a chance for them to redo them with much more flair, the way they've turned the original story of holding a tournament to the death into something much more epic.

I also think they've learnt from their past mistakes and won't simply abandon the popular characters.  Other fighting games keep their full roster of characters into each sequel and simply add a few new ones, which usually helps the quality too..  MK's problem in the past was the fact they kicked out the ones everybody liked and had to come up with a whole bunch of new faces, who usually ended up being cheap imitations.  Again, mistakes they made with previous sequels don't have to be repeated with new sequels.
    "
    Glad I'm not the only one who realized Deadly Alliance was pretty good.

Honestly I'm kind of hoping that they take the mostly-new direction for their obvious setup for... the next one. Those of you who finished story mode know what I mean.

The one thing that I can appreciate about Mortal Kombat is that the Netherrealm team is never afraid to try something new. It doesn't always work and sometimes it causes painful omissions (no Scorpion in my MK3? D:), but usually what they bring to the table is something fresh and interesting. With the new take on single player story mode and the dozens of directions they can march the story in, I'm honestly excited to see some new faces.

The major problem with characters like, say, Bo' Rai Cho wasn't so much he was the fat drunken master, but that he was never well characterized. Before MK9 I found Liu Kang absolutely intolerable, as well as Quan Chi. Now they are both some of my favourite characters all thanks to getting some proper characterization.
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bingbangboom
    @TheHBK said:

" Can we get Klassic Kostumes for all Karacters?  I mean, Ermac looks cool and all but I want to see red ninja fight blue ninja.  Or how about movie costumes?  From the first MK movie. "

I agree! Should be pretty easy and fun too.
    As far as a true sequel to Mortal Kombat, I don't think they have to stick exclusively with the storyline in post MK 3. They retconned a bunch of elements and made something familiar but very different.

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
     This would also result in some new characters or new intros from some characters after MK3. Scorpion turning good and being the Realms savoir because of his hate of Sub-Zero (Noob) and Quan Chi for destroying his family.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @bingbangboom: Spoiler tags man! Spoiler tags!
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By EpicSteve

I just want a real goddamn tutorial. 

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bingbangboom
    @KingWilly said:
    " @bingbangboom: Spoiler tags man! Spoiler tags! "
    Oops! My bad.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Black_Rose

I know people hate anything past MK3 but I do love me some Li Mei, I hope she appears in the future. 

Semantix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Semantix

If MK II happens, which it probably will. I wouldn't be suprised to see a VERY different character roster. Most MK games have their character roster based on who lived and died in the previous game. Anyone who died in this game will most likely be replaced. If this is the case, I wonder if characters from MK4 onwards will be used, or mostly new characters?

It would also be great to see test your luck in the online mode, but that could even be patched into this version.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By KaosAngel

Super Mortal Kombat 9 Tournament Edition Turbo

You heard it here first.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By imsh_pl

I think they'll only release costume packs and special fatalities as DLC.

I doubt they will release an "Ultimate" version. Of course I cannot be sure.

bbolen82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bbolen82

I'd like to see them ditch cheap-ass boss fights.  I don't understand how it's fun that you have to just cheese your way past it when the rest of the game is so damn good.

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bingbangboom
    @bbolen82 said:
    " I'd like to see them ditch cheap-ass boss fights.  I don't understand how it's fun that you have to just cheese your way past it when the rest of the game is so damn good. "
    I agree. I didn't really have a problem with anyone besides Shao Kahn and that was mainly the last version of him. Just sucks when everything in the game and stuff that you learn about the game just doesn't work because he glows out of no where.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#40  Edited By Hailinel
    @bingbangboom said:
    " @Portis said:
    " @bingbangboom said:

Ermac.

No Caption Provided

"
    Thanks, I had always thought he was orange and not red. Guess it was never red enough for me. I hoped they would have made another named "Krimson" and he would be a vampire! Mwhahaha. "
    Mortal Kombat already has a vampire:

No Caption Provided
    Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hzaife

Id like to just have this game and an occasional dlc character..

Nether Realm wont nickle and dime us like friggen capcom i dont think.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By animateria
    @SSully said:
    " @SomeDeliCook said:

"
    I like the way you think. I rather get a small amount of DLC and then a full new game in 2 years or so then a small rehash in a year.  "
    So not like Street Fighter 4 to Super Street Fighter 4.

But more like Super Street Fighter 4 to Super Street Fighter Arcade Edition?

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MeierTheRed

I think its pretty lame to actually talk about what we want from the next one. Especially seeing as this version is pretty damn meaty and just pure awesome. I mean i wouldn't mind a second X-Ray move for each character. But its not like i can't play it without them.

So if they just support the game with some new stages or fighters as DLC for now, that seems like it would be more than enough. There is no reason for them to reinvent this game, or stuff it with useless crap. So maybe in a 2-3 years they bring out a new one. Other wise they will just end up repeating them self again, with not bad but mediocre versions of MK.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
    MK Documentary

That is the only thing that I really missed from this new game, would of loved to see more than just concept sketches. Something ala Dev Commentary in Portal 2
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Rufi91: 

Yeah i was kind of sad, when i saw the Krypt didn't have any video unlockables. That would have been pretty cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.